2002 Toyota Highlander

Based on 856 Ratings for the 2001 - 2007 models.

Next car will be another Highlander

By on Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Pros: "Overall economical vehicle to own"

Cons: "Interior temperature control"

"After driving Volkswagons for over 20 years, I chose the Hghlander for additional space. Best choice ever made!! I was concerned I would be unhappy with the handling after driving German made cars but the Highlander rides and handles amazingly well. The unexpected surprise was how minimal the maintenance has been. I drive 30-35,000 miles per year and have had no major engine repairs in 5 years. My only issue with this vehicle is the poor cabin temperature control - a minor issue."

Great car, 153 K almost no problems

By on Saturday, October 12, 2013

Pros: "reliable and still going strong, good body."

"Very reliable good friend. Only has an electrical problem in the right window which is a pain but not worth fixing. Very reliable still looks sharp, even in my hoity toidy neighborhood. Would like to keep for another two or three years!"

Great car

By on Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Pros: "Reliable"

Cons: "Seats could be more comfortable for long drives"

"Bought new in '02 V6 FWD. 115000 miles no problems ever, still going strong. Not the most comfortable for drives over 5 hours. Driver's side sunshade won't stay up all the way but that is pretty minor. Everything else works 100%."

Hybrid highlander for 2006 is to be avoided

By on Saturday, December 3, 2011

Pros: "Great price, fun to drive, very comfortable smooth"

Cons: "Horrible reliability, high failure rate, poor qual"

"Not a typical Toyota. The 2006 Hybrid Highlander should be avoided due to severe quality and reliability issues. I have been lucky, the defects so far have all been covered by Toyota under warranty. We have had over $10,000 in warranty claims. We could never afford to own this car without the great Toyota warranty behind it"

Best Vehicle Ever!

By on Thursday, September 15, 2011

Pros: "Everything about it has been top notch!"

"I swear by Toyotas. This is my third one and the best of all. I don't plan to get rid of it yet, I need values for tag transfer. I recommend it to anyone!!!"

First Toyota

By on Wednesday, September 7, 2011

"My mother in law gave me the Highlander when she bought her 2011 Tacoma. I've always been in love with Chevy's and was a little aprehensive when I first started driving it. I have to say it didn't take me long to fall in love with it! The drive is so smooth and quiet. The stock sound system is nice and I don't feel like I would need to put an after market one in. It does have good pick up when accelerating and I can pass people easly."

Excellent Vehicle

By on Thursday, November 13, 2008

"The Highlander has the typical Toyota quality and reliability. The average MPG is 24 - 26 on highway driving and 18 - 20 in stop-and-go driving in the city. I had mine for two years and 26,000 miles before it was totaled by a teen-aged driver. The safety equipment probably saved my life when the collision occured."

Great for family of 5

By on Wednesday, April 30, 2008

"I got this car because I'm not a mini-van type person but needed something that fit three car seats and still got decent gas milage. Most "mid-size SUVs" had a second row that was too narrow and the third row was not convenient for small kids getting in and out but the Highlander can accomodate all three car seats in the second row and we only have to use the third seat when we have extra passengers. When the third row is up there is still ample cargo space for a double stroller. One of the things I like most is feeling safe when I drive myself and my family. The large blinds spots that came with so many of the SUVs that I test drove were not there in the Highlander and it handles much more like a car than a truck. I think the next time I upgrade I will get a 2008 Highlander, with the stow and go middle seat in the second row. I think I would use the third row alot more if it were more convenient to access. Hope this helps someone!"

Toyota Reliability

By on Tuesday, April 15, 2008

"I have an '03 V6 FWD model with over 97K on it. This won't capture anyone's eye because of the styling but it's not ugly. The reliability has been great, which was the biggest reason we bought it. I didn't have a single problem with it until about 72K now some things are starting to fail here and there (thermostat, water pump, now something with the A/C). The front brakes lasted until 86K before I replaced them and I still have the originals in the rear. I do the basic maintenance myself since it can get pretty expensive to have Toyota service it. I average about 20 mpg over all in mixed driving, but will still get 24 mpg on the highway. The interior is very good. There are lots of storage places, things are easily in reach and it's very roomy (more room than my GMC Envoy XL). The cup holders in the rear doors make it easy for the kids. The seats aren't very comfortable on long trips. The driver’s seat seems to be at a weird angle, but it isn't bad for a trip of a few hours. They seem to have sacrificed some cargo space for passenger space. It can still hold a good amount of cargo though. It dirves and rides well, but I noticed I have to make a lot of corrections while driving on the highway to stay in my lane. The alignement is ok on it. Overall, I'm very pleased with this vehicle. I will keep it at least another few years."

Smoothest Lexus-like

By on Monday, March 17, 2008

"This is by far the smoothest SUV I have ever owned. Coming from a proud american linage of Chevy's & Jeeps. This vehicle doesn't even compare in preformance even the occasional off-road handling. I have been stuck in the snow this is not an off-roader, but will do the trick in deep snow with good tires. I love my Lexus-Like feel without the price tag. Thanks Toyota for making a perfect fit for a petiete woman who needs the x-tra cargo room and the third row seat. This car (because it handles so well) is a hard working as this single mom. And is never had to spend much time in the shop. As a matter of fact I finally needed front brakes at 60,000. My previous vehicle Toyota Sequoia needed the same repair at 30,000 miles. BEST VEHICLE I HAVE EVER OWNED !"

bad in snow

By on Thursday, February 14, 2008

"The Highlander is terrible in the snow! I had a forester that went like a tank. The highlander is all over the place even with $700. snow tires."

'04 Toyota Highlander

By on Tuesday, January 1, 2008

"Compared to many cars I've owned from GM, Ford, Chrysler, Nissan, and Toyota, this car has held up well. My biggest complaint is that I had to replace my steering column U-joint at 52,000 miles - outside of warranty - at a cost of $500. I found a Highlander owner's Internet forum and discovered I was not alone. Quite a few Highlander owners suffered the same fate and Toyota refused to classify this as a factory defect or to issue a recall. I filed a complaint with the National Transportation Safety Board to no avail. Other than that, maintenance has been routine. For bigger drivers, the Highlander can feel cramped."

Toyota All the Way

By on Thursday, December 20, 2007

"This is the fifth Toyota that my family has bought. My Highlander was bought new in 05 and has 40000 miles and not one thing has gone wrong. This is a normal thing for toyota...before this I had a 95 camery and go over 200000 miles and never once did it have to go into the shop. Finally just to show you how great toyotas and highlanders are. This is the second highlander in our fleet and we have 90000 miles on the 02 one we have!"

I love this vehicle

By on Tuesday, November 20, 2007

"I bought a 2004 Highlander,new, and now have 67,000 miles with no problems. I maintain it and take it to the snow on ski trips. The 4-wheel drive is terrific in blizzards. It drives so much better and smoother than my previous Pathfinder. If Toyota continues with this style and quality I will buy one over and over. Be sure to get the fold up seat so seven can ride."

Overall- Nice

By on Monday, September 24, 2007

"Love the Highlander except for: Needs more leg room, the steering wheel doesn't go up very far to accomodate long legs. Not enough horsepower to handle a large towing load."

Extremely reliable, excellent vehicle overall

By on Saturday, August 18, 2007

"I bought my 2003 Highlander new. I adhere to the recommended maintenance schedule and never have had any problem with it. It rides extremely smoothly, like a luxury car rather than a SUV, thanks to Toyota's car-based chassis design. Plenty of rear leg room and cargo room. I don't do any towing so I decided on a 4-cylinder. Yet it has plenty of power to get on the highway or pass trucks on the interstate. I average about 20 mpg in town and 24-26 mpg on the highway. I only have two minor complaints after owning this car for four years. First, the air -conditioning "on" button is not well lit enough to see in a bright and sunny day. It's even worse if I have my sunglasses on. I often have to guess if the air conditioning is on or not. Second, I find the side mirros a little too small. But then again these could be just my own idiosyncrasies. I will definitely buy a Highlander again or recommend this to a friend. It is a mechanically sound, well-designed and dependable vehicle with excellent resale value."

Outstanding Vehicle

By on Wednesday, May 6, 2015

"Bought new, excellent care, Custom paint, Replaced tires Maint. thru dealership Like new vehicle, Very good engine response time."

Good Value

By on Thursday, March 27, 2014

Pros: "Very reliable transportation"

Cons: "Ride not as smooth as a car or new truck"

"Bought used in 2008. Not the smoothest ride even after changing tires, but have had no mechanical problems at all! The only expenses have been routine wear & tear, tires & brakes and of course oil, fluids etc."

Looks good, drives well, good on gas, roomy

By on Thursday, October 3, 2013

Pros: "Safe, attractive & practical"

Cons: "Beige fabric upholstery shows dirt & stains"

"The pros: I drive a 2001 Highlander and love it. Even though it's over 12 years old its design still looks contemporary and attractive. It runs well with over 310,000 km on the odometer. Despite its age I am not interested in other vehicles and will drive this s.u.v. for as long as possible. The Highlander isn't too small or too big - it's just right for highway driving and moving things from A to B. You can fit a lot of stuff into this vehicle, particularly with the back seats folded down. The cons: I bought my Highlander used when it was about 6 years old and noticed from the start that it uses up more oil than usual. I always need to add more oil between oil changes. But it passes the Ontario emissions tests. My mechanic says the oil leak is unusual, within the engine somewhere and can't be fixed. This caused the spark plugs to get gummed up and I had to have them replaced this year. The brakes have needed cleaning/repair twice in the past 7 years. Like any older vehicle the routine maintenance costs are higher than with a new car. Even so I think the vehicle is worth it because it has served me so well."

Excellent overall experience

By on Thursday, September 19, 2013

Pros: "Great value, I have gotten my money's worth"

Cons: "None for me"

"I have owned several cars and have never kept one as long as this Highlander. It has been the BEST car I've ever owned. Previously I have had Pontiac Sunbird, Toyota Corolla, Nissan Altima ,Nissan 240sx and a Saturn. I've enjoyed driving the Highlander and have especially loved having an SUV. This car handles well, is very durable and reliable. I would recommend it to everyone and will be sad to see it go. I've kept up with maintenance and have never had any problems with it. Excellent!"

Very reliable

By on Sunday, July 7, 2013

Pros: "Reliability, Simple design,"

"The Toyota Highlander will not brake down on you unless you go off-roading with it every day. And even still it probably will not have many issues. The Highlander has a good fuel economy for its size of an SUV. It has plenty of room for people and the trunk is large. The Highlander is a great first car for many drivers because it is simple and easy to use."

Still Excellent at 235,000 miles

By on Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Pros: "runs on regular gasolin. making approx. 23m/galon."

Cons: "sun shade falling down.- common problem"

"I bought V-6 Dec. 2012 as 2003 Model and am driving over 10 years. This is the first car I ever driven without any problem. Just change engine oil with Mobil 1 at 5,000 miles interval and replace transmission oil every 30,000 miles. there are few things If I try to complain about this car. The major problem is the sun shade at driver side falling down about 15 degree and there no way to fix it. But it really dosn't bother my driving view. Recently ICV (Idel control Valve) not allowing enough fuel into engine so I have to keep press the accelator about couple of minutes. I need to clean ICV eventuarly and I am planning to do it by myself. Other than that I don't have any problem with this car so far. Excellnt Car !!!!!"

I have found this car to be dependable

By on Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Pros: "Not too big, great gas mileage, low maintenance"

Cons: "with third row in use not much storage for travel."

"We have never had a break down of any type. Minor replacements (lights etc) are simple and easy. The value for our investment has more than pleased us. We would not be selling now if we could take it with us. The performance and fuel consumption are great for this size vehicle and the third row seeting has been a great asset."

Love my SUV driving till she dies

By on Saturday, April 20, 2013

Pros: "Great everything!! Love everything about it"

Cons: "Price"

"I have a lot of miles on this vehicle and I am really bad at maintenance ! I drive and drive and expect my car to take care of me not me take care of car!! I can't complain about anything. Did have to have bearings replaced but that's it in 10 yrs, also this SUV is made for a women it's low enough to ground not to have to jump up in with business suit on and is awesome in snow!! Highly recommend and don't ever want to be without"

Solid Toyota

By on Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Pros: "fun to drive,"

Cons: "problem with headlight/running lights lens"

"Our family uses this vehicle daily for work and play. Change the oil and put on a new timing belt, water pump and hoses at 100,000 and you are good for another 100000. We are a Toyota family"