2002 Toyota Highlander

Based on 836 Ratings for the 2001 - 2007 models.

I love this vehicle

By on Tuesday, November 20, 2007

"I bought a 2004 Highlander,new, and now have 67,000 miles with no problems. I maintain it and take it to the snow on ski trips. The 4-wheel drive is terrific in blizzards. It drives so much better and smoother than my previous Pathfinder. If Toyota continues with this style and quality I will buy one over and over. Be sure to get the fold up seat so seven can ride."

Overall- Nice

By on Monday, September 24, 2007

"Love the Highlander except for: Needs more leg room, the steering wheel doesn't go up very far to accomodate long legs. Not enough horsepower to handle a large towing load."

Extremely reliable, excellent vehicle overall

By on Saturday, August 18, 2007

"I bought my 2003 Highlander new. I adhere to the recommended maintenance schedule and never have had any problem with it. It rides extremely smoothly, like a luxury car rather than a SUV, thanks to Toyota's car-based chassis design. Plenty of rear leg room and cargo room. I don't do any towing so I decided on a 4-cylinder. Yet it has plenty of power to get on the highway or pass trucks on the interstate. I average about 20 mpg in town and 24-26 mpg on the highway. I only have two minor complaints after owning this car for four years. First, the air -conditioning "on" button is not well lit enough to see in a bright and sunny day. It's even worse if I have my sunglasses on. I often have to guess if the air conditioning is on or not. Second, I find the side mirros a little too small. But then again these could be just my own idiosyncrasies. I will definitely buy a Highlander again or recommend this to a friend. It is a mechanically sound, well-designed and dependable vehicle with excellent resale value."

Outstanding Vehicle

By on Wednesday, May 06, 2015

"Bought new, excellent care, Custom paint, Replaced tires Maint. thru dealership Like new vehicle, Very good engine response time."

Good Value

By on Thursday, March 27, 2014

Pros: "Very reliable transportation"

Cons: "Ride not as smooth as a car or new truck"

"Bought used in 2008. Not the smoothest ride even after changing tires, but have had no mechanical problems at all! The only expenses have been routine wear & tear, tires & brakes and of course oil, fluids etc."

Looks good, drives well, good on gas, roomy

By on Thursday, October 03, 2013

Pros: "Safe, attractive & practical"

Cons: "Beige fabric upholstery shows dirt & stains"

"The pros: I drive a 2001 Highlander and love it. Even though it's over 12 years old its design still looks contemporary and attractive. It runs well with over 310,000 km on the odometer. Despite its age I am not interested in other vehicles and will drive this s.u.v. for as long as possible. The Highlander isn't too small or too big - it's just right for highway driving and moving things from A to B. You can fit a lot of stuff into this vehicle, particularly with the back seats folded down. The cons: I bought my Highlander used when it was about 6 years old and noticed from the start that it uses up more oil than usual. I always need to add more oil between oil changes. But it passes the Ontario emissions tests. My mechanic says the oil leak is unusual, within the engine somewhere and can't be fixed. This caused the spark plugs to get gummed up and I had to have them replaced this year. The brakes have needed cleaning/repair twice in the past 7 years. Like any older vehicle the routine maintenance costs are higher than with a new car. Even so I think the vehicle is worth it because it has served me so well."

Excellent overall experience

By on Thursday, September 19, 2013

Pros: "Great value, I have gotten my money's worth"

Cons: "None for me"

"I have owned several cars and have never kept one as long as this Highlander. It has been the BEST car I've ever owned. Previously I have had Pontiac Sunbird, Toyota Corolla, Nissan Altima ,Nissan 240sx and a Saturn. I've enjoyed driving the Highlander and have especially loved having an SUV. This car handles well, is very durable and reliable. I would recommend it to everyone and will be sad to see it go. I've kept up with maintenance and have never had any problems with it. Excellent!"

Very reliable

By on Sunday, July 07, 2013

Pros: "Reliability, Simple design,"

"The Toyota Highlander will not brake down on you unless you go off-roading with it every day. And even still it probably will not have many issues. The Highlander has a good fuel economy for its size of an SUV. It has plenty of room for people and the trunk is large. The Highlander is a great first car for many drivers because it is simple and easy to use."

Still Excellent at 235,000 miles

By on Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Pros: "runs on regular gasolin. making approx. 23m/galon."

Cons: "sun shade falling down.- common problem"

"I bought V-6 Dec. 2012 as 2003 Model and am driving over 10 years. This is the first car I ever driven without any problem. Just change engine oil with Mobil 1 at 5,000 miles interval and replace transmission oil every 30,000 miles. there are few things If I try to complain about this car. The major problem is the sun shade at driver side falling down about 15 degree and there no way to fix it. But it really dosn't bother my driving view. Recently ICV (Idel control Valve) not allowing enough fuel into engine so I have to keep press the accelator about couple of minutes. I need to clean ICV eventuarly and I am planning to do it by myself. Other than that I don't have any problem with this car so far. Excellnt Car !!!!!"

I have found this car to be dependable

By on Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Pros: "Not too big, great gas mileage, low maintenance"

Cons: "with third row in use not much storage for travel."

"We have never had a break down of any type. Minor replacements (lights etc) are simple and easy. The value for our investment has more than pleased us. We would not be selling now if we could take it with us. The performance and fuel consumption are great for this size vehicle and the third row seeting has been a great asset."

Love my SUV driving till she dies

By on Saturday, April 20, 2013

Pros: "Great everything!! Love everything about it"

Cons: "Price"

"I have a lot of miles on this vehicle and I am really bad at maintenance ! I drive and drive and expect my car to take care of me not me take care of car!! I can't complain about anything. Did have to have bearings replaced but that's it in 10 yrs, also this SUV is made for a women it's low enough to ground not to have to jump up in with business suit on and is awesome in snow!! Highly recommend and don't ever want to be without"

Solid Toyota

By on Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Pros: "fun to drive,"

Cons: "problem with headlight/running lights lens"

"Our family uses this vehicle daily for work and play. Change the oil and put on a new timing belt, water pump and hoses at 100,000 and you are good for another 100000. We are a Toyota family"

Great car , one of the best I have owned

By on Saturday, March 30, 2013

Pros: "Everything you want a car to be"

Cons: "I would like better gas mileage."

"I love this car. Equal to my 1992 Camray that I had for 15yrs that had 285,000 miles on it when I sold it. This car has over 205000 and I have no doubt that it will reach 300,000 and then some. With a set of studs for the winter it becomes a tank that can handle anything Idaho winters can throw at us. Great utility and dependable."

I can't believe that it has only been 10 years

By on Saturday, March 02, 2013

Pros: "Perfect"

Cons: "Haven't found anything except gas milage"

"This vehicle has been the first car I've driven and owned. I have never loved something so much and I can't believe that it has been only 10 years. It feels like just yesterday I was driving it off the lot, back when quality vehicles were populous. I love it and I would tell anyone if they could find one to buy it. It has started every day since we took it off the lot whether it was -20 or 110 outside. My family and I take it out to our camp which is extremely rural and it does awesome. The uni-body frame curves and moves to every bump to make it as there were none. I think I should've been pulled over a numerous amount of times considering that it rides SO smooth. I like to focus on the high points that it has mainly because I am an inquisitive person and I haven't found anything. This car is truly the best vehicle for all situations from a first time driver(because it's so easy to learn anything on) or a family with maybe 3 kids and 2 dogs. It was made for the long haul and I'm proud to say I own one."

Best vehicle I have owned

By on Saturday, December 08, 2012

Pros: "Great reliability and durability."

Cons: "Gas mileage is fair"

"We purchaesed the Highlander new in 2002 and opted for the V6, 4WD model. It has a "moon roof" and the driver's seat is a power seat with a separate lumbar control for support of the spine, in my opinion a nice feature. My wife has back issues and notices the difference whenever she is in a different vehicle. In terms of reliability and quality, the best vehicle I have owned. That is saying a lot since I tend to buy Toyota cars and have gotten 200,000 miles or more out of most I have owned The Highlander has had exactly one problem in the almost 13 years we have owned it. The control knob that controls the mixture of heat and cold coming into the cabin broke about three years ago It was about $700 to fix because it is electronic and not manual. Other than that, we have only needed to do normal maintenance. We have taken the Highlander on several long trips and it has been comfortable and reliable. I highly recommend getting the V6, especially if you want to do some towing. And of course, for towing, the towing package is best. The gas mileage is not great, but about where i figured it would be when we bought it. On trips we get 25 or so MPH, and around town about 20."

Incredibly Reliable!

By on Monday, December 03, 2012

Pros: "reliability, solid manufacture/assembly, gas milea"

Cons: "interior layout could be better, mud flaps"

"Bought this used with 19k miles in 2003(?). Most reliable machine I've ever owned! Great value, solid performance, easy handling. Only selling it now with 200k miles because I bought a 4x4 pickup. This would be a tremendous option for buyers on a budget, who don't want to become a mechanic's best customer!"

i love my toyota!!!!!

By on Monday, August 20, 2012

Pros: "reliability,comfort and power"

Cons: "room in the interior"

"I have owned many cars and truck loved some and hated others, But I can honestly say I love my truck. It handles like a car,pulls like a truck and has the speed and pep of a sports car.it lacks a bit in room with the third row seating in use other than that i love it."

I absolutely love this truck!

By on Saturday, August 11, 2012

Pros: "Great on fuel, reasonable to maintain, great buy"

Cons: "No 3rd row seating"

"I traded a Jeep Liberty for this vehicle. Although I liked the Liberty, I love the Highlander. It's great on fuel, has great storage space, reponds quick to accelaration, and is very dependable. I haven't had any issues with it in the 2 years that I've owned it. Maintenance is reasonable. The rear seats fold down for additional storage. I love the cargo cover that conceals any valuables in the back. I travel often and take lots of luggage with no difficulty. The Highlander holds its value well. Lots of cup holders. I can't say enough about the Highlander. I JUST LOVE THIS TRUCK!"

Excellant results on many trips.

By on Thursday, January 26, 2012

Pros: "Excellant utility and fun to drive. Very reliable"

"Good trip car, even on poor roads or mud or snow. Just the right size, not too big or too small. Good gas mileage in town or on highway."

Well worth the MSRP

By on Thursday, January 26, 2012

Pros: "Highly reliable, great power, great mid-size suv"

Cons: "Not your gas-sipping hybrid, but a powered hybrid"

"Our 2006 Highlander Hybrid continues to handle like a brand new vehicle at 167,000 miles. The vehicle has been serviced per the manufacturer's schedule and has never been less than dependable."

Dependable but not very comfortable

By on Monday, January 23, 2012

Pros: "Good view-feel safer sitting higher than most cars"

Cons: "Rides like a brick-harsh cramped ride-overpriced"

"Bought this car used in 2008 and put 55,000 on it in 3.5 years. Great transmission shift points=excellent pick-up and cruise at low RPM so engine should last well BEYOND 100,000 miles! Outstanding high-beam headlights provides excellent night illumination. Factory tires exceptionally-annoyingly-noisy! Much quieter w. Michelins. Comfort, well...it rides like a brick! VERY HARSH-ride...feel every crack in the highway. Definitely can't say it is any better mechanically than any other car I've owned, American or Japanese! Middle"

Best Vehicle I have ever owned

By on Saturday, December 03, 2011

"Great car, my favoite and I have a 2002 M/B CLK 430 convertible, but the Highlander is more comfortable on a long trip. When the time comes I will certainly by another Highlander, or maybe a 4-Runner."

Hybrid highlander for 2006 is to be avoided

By on Saturday, December 03, 2011

Pros: "Great price, fun to drive, very comfortable smooth"

Cons: "Horrible reliability, high failure rate, poor qual"

"Not a typical Toyota. The 2006 Hybrid Highlander should be avoided due to severe quality and reliability issues. I have been lucky, the defects so far have all been covered by Toyota under warranty. We have had over $10,000 in warranty claims. We could never afford to own this car without the great Toyota warranty behind it"

Good reliable vehicle with low maintainence

By on Saturday, November 05, 2011

Pros: "Reliable and low maintainence"

"Own this vehicle for last 11 years. Love it. Only maintainence done is tires (2 times), exhaust recently after 10 years, and battery after 10 years. Other than regular service - had to get couple sensors replaced but I had extended warranty so the service was covered. Overall a good value."

Most reliable car ever owned

By on Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Pros: "reliable, roomy and comfortable, handles easily and has adequate power"

Cons: "no cons"

"I am the second owner having bought the car with 30,000 miles. It now has 152,000 miles. Didn't need plugs until 108,000 miles. Other than oil changes and standard brake pads I have done nothing to the vehicle. For a 2003 4wd vehicle it gets an average (city and road)of 21 mpg---not bad for a vehicle of this size. I have used it to haul and find it a great all around vehicle for personal use as well. It is extremely reliable and I would gladly recommend it to my Mother In Law if she wanted another vehicle!"