2002 Toyota Highlander

Based on 823 Ratings for the 2001 - 2007 models.

Wonderful, Troublefree Vehicle

By on Wednesday, January 07, 2015

Pros: "Size, quality, reliability, mileage, power"

Cons: "Not sexy, throttle-response with hybrid"

"We have the hybrid Highlander, and in spite of its complexity it has proven to be totally reliable. We have not had a single failure with it. Overall size and interior layout is perfect for most uses. We really wouldn't want the larger, new ones. While not the toughest-looking SUV, it is a good design and built to a very high quality. We love the excellent visibility, unlike many newer vehicles. Our Hybrid gets an average of about 28mpg to top it off. It doesn't have quite the throttle response of a conventional vehicle, but that's a small price to pay for the mileage. We love it."

Love it!

By on Friday, September 14, 2007

"I have been very pleased with my 2004 2WS 6cyl Highlander. I leased it Aug 2004, currently has 30k miles. Like it so much I am going to buy it. I had nothing but trouble with Nissan and Ford before I got this SUV. I have had to do nothing to it except gas, oil change & a new set of tires (didn't rotate the originals as I should have) It's comfortable, handles well, pick-up is good & feels 'luxury' compared to my friends SUV's. It's reliable, cools off quickly and warms up nice in the winter. I couldn't be happier!!"

By on Friday, September 14, 2007

"No major problems with my 2004. Just replaced the tires at 55k and then the brakes at 65k. Other than that...nothing more than routine oil changes and flushes. I drive in heavy traffic and on the highway daily and its handles well through those conditions. I have had no problems in the snow or rain."

Good vehicle

By on Wednesday, August 22, 2007

"Bought new in '02 for my wife. V6 2wd. No issues ever, pushing close to 85K miles to date. Replaced the tires at 57K miles and will do it again at around 115K. Brakes are original and have plenty of life left. Had a check engine light come on once which was generated by a vacuum hose that came off when checking the air cleaner. Popped the hose on and reset the light, no more light. I love the fact that I can reach the oil filter from the top and get a pan underneath without have to lift the car. I do my own maintenance and it is wasy to work on. I tow a utility trailer to Home Depot and to the compost station every weekend and have no issues with lack of power. It has plenty of headroom to get the kids in and out of their seats and the dogs are comfortable in the back. We average 22-23 mpg with normal dirving. Less when I drive, more when traveling on trips. Had the wife, 2 kids, grandma and a dog with us on a recent trip into the White Mountains as was towing a UHaul Sport trainer. Had no problem earning that speeding ticket in Tamworth, NH while passing slower cars going up hill. Managed 22 mpg on that trip with the car and trailer loaded up with AC on the whole time. We will buy another, if only for the 3rd row seat."

great car, period

By on Saturday, October 13, 2012

Pros: "reliable, great ride, nice design"

"Hope it lasts forever, can't think of a better replacement. Like the size and reliability, dislike the new Highlanders design and size."