2001 Toyota Highlander

Based on 834 Ratings for the 2001 - 2007 models.

Good vehicle

By on Wednesday, August 22, 2007

"Bought new in '02 for my wife. V6 2wd. No issues ever, pushing close to 85K miles to date. Replaced the tires at 57K miles and will do it again at around 115K. Brakes are original and have plenty of life left. Had a check engine light come on once which was generated by a vacuum hose that came off when checking the air cleaner. Popped the hose on and reset the light, no more light. I love the fact that I can reach the oil filter from the top and get a pan underneath without have to lift the car. I do my own maintenance and it is wasy to work on. I tow a utility trailer to Home Depot and to the compost station every weekend and have no issues with lack of power. It has plenty of headroom to get the kids in and out of their seats and the dogs are comfortable in the back. We average 22-23 mpg with normal dirving. Less when I drive, more when traveling on trips. Had the wife, 2 kids, grandma and a dog with us on a recent trip into the White Mountains as was towing a UHaul Sport trainer. Had no problem earning that speeding ticket in Tamworth, NH while passing slower cars going up hill. Managed 22 mpg on that trip with the car and trailer loaded up with AC on the whole time. We will buy another, if only for the 3rd row seat."

great car, period

By on Saturday, October 13, 2012

Pros: "reliable, great ride, nice design"

"Hope it lasts forever, can't think of a better replacement. Like the size and reliability, dislike the new Highlanders design and size."

Very reliable, comfortable SUV.

By on Wednesday, April 04, 2012

Pros: "Great reliability, drives like a car not a SUV."

Cons: "No front cupholders."

"At 145,000 miles nothing has failed on this SUV. Regular maintenance has been done and it has never let me down. At 90,000 miles the struts were replaced and the cooling system renewed with Toyota long-life coolant, along with new radiator hoses."

m

By on Sunday, August 19, 2007

"when you press down on the gas for there is a delay that worries me if you need to have quick action. the design of the front seat area is maddening. things get lost and I need to stop the car get out and reach under the opening to recover the item. little things are breaking. the cover over the storage area doesnt stay hooked. the air filter inside the car was loaded-didnt even know it was there. something is spewing white lint throughout the care all the time. so far it is little things but I am no happy. Yes it runs ok."

Best Vehicle Ever Owned

By on Wednesday, October 05, 2011

Pros: "Reliability, versatility."

Cons: "With the actual price of gas, I wish I could get more than 23 MPG"

"My 4wd Limited Highlander is just incredible. 9 years/185000 miles and never, ever anything to complain about. Been towing boats, hunting, beaching, you name it. This is the best vehicle by far I've ever owned."