2014 Toyota FJ Cruiser Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $26,881 - $27,562.

10/6.8

9.4

Based on 464 Ratings for the 2007 - 2014 models.

9.8/10

2014 will be the last build,futur classic

By on Friday, November 08, 2013

Pros: "Solid, fun, cool, roomy , exotic, engine sounds"

Cons: "4x4 permanent not available in automatic"

"I am back with Toyota after driving some other brand and for a reason: most reliable brand i have ever owned. The FJ is my family car here in Switzerland , land of snow and ice in the winter and with more than 130,000 miles on it it keeps giving me a big smile every day. It was never officially imported in Switzerland or France so it's almost an exotic car here. I had before the Mercredes G 400 CDI , done 150,000 miles on it and spend thousands on maintenance or reliability issues .Now the FJ is doing so much better for the money. I recommend the FJ to anyone who wants a safe , reliable, cool car."

this is the nicest vehicle I have ever owned

By on Tuesday, November 05, 2013

Pros: "quality, reliability, comfort, bulletproof"

Cons: "this is not an economy car, average 17.6 city"

"I have entertained the idea of looking seriously at FJ Cruisers for several years now but was disuaded by test drive magazine's overservations about the poor outward visibility of the FJ Cruiser. Two months ago while getting my Tacoma serviced at the local Toyota dealer I happened per chance to test drive a 2014 FJ Cruiser just for the heck of it. I kept driving it right on home. There is no visability problem if you adjust your mirrors as they should be in the first place and the back up camera makes backing up easier than my truck. The ride is remarkably smooth and especially so for a 4x4 tank which the FJ Cruiser is. The fit and finish is light years beyond other off-road vehicles I looked at. The gas mileage is right on the sticker estimates. Any place the FJ Cruiser will not take me and my kayaks would only be accessable by horse or helicopter I suspect. My only regret is that I did not purchase one of these refined tanks years ago rather than reading reviews by "experts" who prefer sports cars. I have had in my long years a number of very nice vehicles, but the FJ Cruiser is by far the one I love most. I suspect this tank will last a lot longer than I will. The legendary reliability of the FJ Cruiser is icing on the cake so to speak. I do warn readers that if you drive an FJ Cruiser there is a high probability that you will drive it home as I did."

THE ONE AND THE ONLY!

By on Thursday, October 31, 2013

Pros: "Safe, reliable, affordable and fun to drive."

"For most peoples think only about saving money on gas, But i only think about reliable and safety for my family. The FJ is the perfect one for us. It has all the safety features, comfy, roomy and super dependability and reliability. I love the high tolerant, for example : if i got hit by a small car , they can't hurt us..all they hit is my rock's rail. So that mean no life threatening. There are so many small vehicles out there so more likely will get hit by the small one than the big one. Plus it's not that bad on gas anyway. If i have to waste a little bit more money on gas just to save my family's life and i will be happy to do it!. We feel very safe,reliable and very happy every time we ride in ours "HERO". These are something that money can't buy, It's a true happiness and a safe feeling!."

My wife has wanted one since 2007. I ignored her..

By on Thursday, October 31, 2013

Pros: "resale value, collectability, made in Japan"

Cons: "rough ride, fuel consumption... ah who cares?!!"

"We are in a spot where we can afford a specialty car. I was eying a Vette. I finally opened my ears and listened to her about the FJ. Glad I did! Got a great deal on a Cavalry blue 2013. I just checked KBB for resale value, and I could sell it for my purchase price, which is unheard of. Even trade value is only $1,000 less than what I just bought it for. Oh, and I see why. This FJ is sharp and tight, a real classic waiting to happen. Better get yours while you can."

BEST MACHINE EVER CREATED BY HUMAN!

By on Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Pros: "Affordable, safe,fun to drive and very reliable!"

"From the moment that I saw my Trail Teams i felt in love all over again. At first my wife said its too big and ugly, But we end up bought it anyway. We owned a Lexus ES300, Its very reliable and my wife love it so much!. We were looking for a 4x4, but she wanted to keep her favorite Lexus. We shopped around from Jeep to Nissan to Honda and finally i couldn't walk away from a Toyota FJ. For the first whole year my wife didn't touch it at all. I took two weeks vacation just to stay home and enjoy the winter and it was a snowy week and she drove it to work for two weeks straight. And guess what happened next?....We own two FJs now. That's how much we love it. We feel extremely safe, comfortable and so reliable every time we hop in it. and I Love the timing chain too! Best of all Its a Toyota!. What else can I say?"

Exactly what it wants you think it is, AWESOME!

By on Saturday, October 12, 2013

Pros: "True All Terrain vehicle."

Cons: "Cannot think of any my FJ is exactly what expected"

"Great vehicle."

Best money I ever spent

By on Saturday, September 28, 2013

Pros: "Reliable, handles any driving cond."

Cons: "no bluetooth"

"My wife calls the FJ my "other wife" because I love it so much. It is reliable, fun to drive (have a stick shift) and handles any weather conditions well. The V6 manual gives it great acceleration from a dead stop. The cargo space is great (we've moved furniture & appliances in it. It is incredibly reliable. I wouldn't trade this vehicle for ANYTHING."

Best when paired with an Airstream

By on Sunday, September 22, 2013

Pros: "reliability, great towing capacity, fun off-roadin"

Cons: "small gas tank- limited to 200 miles on a tank"

On the road to burning man!

"It's great for camping and off-roading. The retro styling is a great compliment to my 19 foot Airstream. It pulls the 5000lbs rig over the Tioga Pass and Cajon pass with power to spare. No problems since I got it back in 2008. I can see why the resell value is so high, who would want to sell it! Added a after market Alpine with Nav, Bluetooth, iPod and Pandora full integration. I even added a front hitch to carry my Honda Trail 110 while camping. This truck lives up to and exceeds the legendary FJ40! It's destined to be a another collector item."

On the road to burning man!

Not a soccer mom's SUV

By on Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Pros: "Fun, safe, gets you home from the woods."

Cons: "Blind spots to get used to and mileage."

A work horse that get me home from some bad spots in the woods.

"The most advanced off road vehicle. This is a very light but full framed off road vehicle. A little uncomfortable to sleep in but geared to get you out of the mud. Recommend chains all around on steep grades in the snow and ice. Bumpers are solid steel behind the plastic façade. So the guy that hits you will get the worst of it. Plastic easy to pop out and spray. Can tow and pull using frame mounted rings. Tight turning radius between trees and rocks. Recommend a rear bumper extender on the trailer hitch to protect rear door from being crushed by spare tire mount with rear impact. Independent rear gearing. Rear gears are susceptible to damage if rear-ended while brakes are not applies. Engine very good designed work horse but mileage is poor. It will get you home when other vehicles may not. Room behind front grill for winch but need to provide pan. Recommend oil change every 3K with synthetic. Recommend Kevlar with heavy sidewall ply. I use a 60 inch tractor jack with ribbons in place of a winch. Good ground clearance. Have done many stream crossings with just standard equipment. I plan on keeping this truck forever. In 4WD the turning radius is poor. Mine is a 2007, silver with white roof, running boards, aluminum wheels, roof rack, brush guards, and standard bumper. Recommend installing a rear backup camera on license plate mount. Recommend oiling the frame routinely to keep rust away. Mud will build on inner fenders in nooks, so power wash with care under there. Nice to have a high ride that is short. This vehicle will scratch in the woods, so get cool with that happening and so wear with pride the scars on your skin."

A work horse that get me home from some bad spots in the woods.

Hauls like a truck, drives like a sports sedan.

By on Sunday, September 08, 2013

Pros: "Smooth ride, great sound, & powerful towing"

Cons: "None."

"Bought this FJ new in 2006 when it was love at first sight. The retro styling reminded me of the original Land Cruiser. The test drive proved comfortable for long trips and the drive train supported pulling our big trailer. It has hauled that full trailer over mountains easily. I still like this car to the point that I am reluctant to sell. Might just buy another FJ."

love this truck.

By on Friday, August 30, 2013

Pros: "off road second to none"

Cons: "I don't have any even after 150k miles"

"Best vehicle on the road by far."

Awesome truck!

By on Monday, August 26, 2013

Pros: "Built like a tank"

Cons: "Wish it was bigger"

"I have had my FJ for 3 years now and still love it as much as I did the day I bought it. Bought it because it reminded me of a hummvee, have to get a bigger truck and super bummed out that there isn't anything bigger in the same class as the FJ. Love the reliability and the overall ruggedness of the truck."

Most reliable and maintenance free ever owned

By on Saturday, August 24, 2013

Pros: "Incredible reliabilty and durabilty."

Cons: "Gas mileage and windshield replacement."

"Remarkable for a first year vehicle. Have only done scheduled maintenance during warranty period and then changed oil, filters, etc. myself. Only negative is the upright flat windshield. Collects rocks like crazy! Loved it so much, we just purchased a 2013 and kept the 2007!!!!"

87000 miles and I still love to drive it

By on Thursday, August 22, 2013

Pros: "Strong 4X4, fun to drive"

"After four years, there are no squeeks or rattles. I have never had a breakdown of any kind. People still give compliments. The FJ Cruiser is a great choice. I get about 24 miles per gallon overall. After four years it is worth 80% of what I paid for it"

I Love my FJ

By on Saturday, August 17, 2013

Pros: "fun to drive"

"This is a wonderful automobile. I know it will make me happy for the rest of my days."

Car that always brings you home

By on Wednesday, August 07, 2013

Pros: "best offroad car, amazing manual trans."

Cons: "blindside issues but thats it"

"I've driven many cars in my lifetime and no other car makes you feel the way the Fj cruiser does. Nothing else is like it off road and I constantly get pulled over for people asking me about my car. Even when i had an m3 i didn't get anywhere near as many admirers. If you are even pondering whether to buy this car or not, go out for a test drive and see what you are missing out on."

I love the look of it

By on Thursday, July 25, 2013

Pros: "It runs great and has never let me down"

Cons: "Side vision is terrible.."

"I love this FJ..it holds the road...I pass everyone on the side of the road during torrencial down pours..I always feel very safe while driving it...I keep it clean and waxed and it looks brand new."

My favorite Vehicle in 40 years of driving!

By on Saturday, July 13, 2013

Pros: "Easy to make Tight Turns and Park"

Cons: "Only 20 miles to the Gallon"

"I've owned "Sonic" yes I named my FJ, for 4 years. I know everything about this vehicle! I've never experienced the "Blind Spots", The rear view mirrors are huge and allow great visibility. There is a back up warning "Beeping" alert that works GREAT! Mine is a 2008 and still looks BRAND NEW with Limited work by me! No mechanical work ever needed. ( I'm only driving 10K a year. I still get compliments and interested people at Gas Stations and Store Parking lits! TIGHT TURNING RADIUS, easy to park! Anti-Lock brakes work GREAT on slick surfaces! The Rubber Floor mats are EASY to Clean! My three Black Labs love to go Joy Riding in it. The rear windows do not open. The Air conditioning is Artic Cold and never had an issue! Mine is a 2008, IMPORTANT: Look for the "Fender Buckling" flaw that many FJ Cruisers have. Google it and know what to look for. Mine never had it, but the front fenders on many 2008 and older literally start creasing and buckling like the car has body damage. Toyota re-designed and fixed the problem in mid 2008 and Toyota will recall fix the problem. I don't have the luggage rack! DO NOT GET IT UNLESS YOU ABSOLUTELY intend to use it in Northern Climates! Impossible to brush the snow off if you have it. I avoided it and am thankful with every New England Blizzard. Back seats fold almost flat for a huge cargo/dog area in the back. The HUGE back door opens the correct way for parking on the side of the road and "Loading/Unloading" hinges on Drivers side. Comfy to sit in the back with the door open. Rear window is confusing to open ( Needs to use the key in the door turned the wrong way twice ) and It's SOOOOO tiny, I've only need to open it once to carry some boards. The dash is very flat to put drive through food on or little "Hula Dancers" etc. GREAT SECRET GLOVE BOX just over the steering wheel on the flat surface. Pops up to reveal a huge storage space. I LOVE this feature for Parking Garge Tickets, Reciepts, etc. Nice Cup Holders in the Front and inside the Back Doors. White Top helps keep the car interior COOL in the summer in a parking lot. Difficult to see traffic lights if you are first in line because the top of the windsheild is so low. I'm used to it, but it took a while. In 50,000 miles, ever needed to change a bulb, Change Brakes, No exhaust work, original tires look new, handles like a car on bumpy roars, comfy front seats on a long drive. Easy to spot in a mall parking lot! It's tall and stands out. The Alarm NEVER goes of by mistake in high winds or storms. REALLY DRIVES THROUGH DEEP SNOW EFFORTLESSLY! It's been through huge Connecticut Blizzards And I'm a chicken driving thru snow! It was very happy in two foot unplowed snow! 4 Wheel Drive works like a charm."

Proven Toughest, best built vehicle on the planet

By on Monday, July 08, 2013

Pros: "Overall design and performance, and cost to own."

"As an oil camp manager in some of the most difficult terrain on the planet, this vehicle is contanly compared to 400 trucks and suvs. Absolutely nothing comes close to its design, reliability or toughness - our 5 2007s still have not been in the shop. THIS VEHICLE IS NOT A TOYOTA. it is built by Hino which has a reputation of the being the most reliable commercial truck on the planet..."

By on Monday, July 08, 2013

Cons: "Faulty headlights, SUV operation cost, NOTICEABLE!"

"I have owned my yellow FJ for nearly 6 years now. I bought her as I needed room to haul around a family of 5, including my then new-born. Life changes, and now I don't need such a large passenger and cargo capacity. My daily commute is 40 miles round-trip, with a 700 mile trip around once a month, and my FJ gas milage is average for an SUV (16-20 mpg), so I am looking for a smaller car with better gas mileage. In the meantime, my SUV's distinctive styling became an ID badge of sorts. I've lived in three different cities, and my neighbors, family, friends, co-workers, and acquaintances would immediately acknowledge me (or my wife) as soon as they saw the big yellow brick showing up at the distance. It is a great feeling everytime, except when you want to go unnoticed! After 6 years, nearly all its equipment and gadgets are fully functional. Power locks, windows, mirrors, thermometer, parking assist, analogical inclinometer and compass (those are a kicker, still today, for novel passengers). Steering wheel controls work perfectly as well (cruise, stereo, front and rear wipers, rear defogger, etc.). The Premium stereo it came with is still plenty for my audio needs, including the absorbing set of tweet-speakers embedded inside the roof. Its radio interface is toy-like with huge knobs and buttons, which makes it even easier to operate while driving. The radio still functions perfectly, including its 6-CD box, and audio-plug (no USB connection). Engine, brakes, transmission, everything mechanical has worked impeccably, with no service needed beyond its regular oil changes and tune-ups as scheduled. The engine feels far more powerful than the specs would lead you to think, and I have never had any troubles trying to pass vehicles at 70+ mph in two lane back roads. The only issue it has ever had: for road safety reasons, I have always run my car with the lights on, day and night. In the past 18 months or so, on occasion, the lights stay on even after I lock the doors (regularly, the lights would turn off after hitting the lock button on the remote). This has led several times to my returning from shopping or watching a movie show to find my truck with the lights still on, running the risk of having a dead battery at my return. Interestingly, this only happens when the weather is either too hot or too cold. Now I am used to double-checking that the lights turn off, and if they don't I flick them off manually. I have taken my SUV to two different dealers, and they have not been able to find the cause. Still, as I mentioned, this might be caused by my constant use (and abuse) of the headlight system. All in all, I am utterly in love with my FJ. I only hope I will be able to find a loving home for her after we part ways."

Cons: "Faulty headlights, SUV operation cost, NOTICEABLE!"

This is one tough vehicle, bulletproof so to speak

By on Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Pros: "Extremely durable. Perfect size for two people."

Cons: "Blind spots. Not necessarily a family vehicle."

On the beach in Baja

"We purchased one of the first FJ Cruisers to hit the street. It is a pleasure to drive it around town and on the freeway's but that's not what we bought it for. It has taken us to Baja at least 25 time's and traveling on hundred's of miles of rough dirt roads. We have driven to the bottom of the Copper Canyon in Chihuahua Mexico in the blistering heat. Not to mention the blinding snow storm's in the Midwest. I know, I know I sound like a T.V. Commercial but I really like this FJ it has never let us down."

On the beach in Baja

Love everything except the gas mileage....

By on Sunday, May 26, 2013

Pros: "Great stereo, looks, ruggedness, fun, roomy, cool"

Cons: "Bad gas mileage, bad blind spots, expensive"

"I love this vehicle. It suits me, has all the things I wanted (other than a sun roof, leather interior, satellite radio and great gas mileage). Everything else is perfect. However, it is just me and my husband and we don't have to have all this room. I'm looking to trade it for something smaller with better gas mileage since I have quite a bit of driving to and from work and misc. driving each month."