2014 Toyota FJ Cruiser Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $26,804 - $27,736.

10/6.8

9.4

Based on 478 Ratings for the 2007 - 2014 models.

9.8/10

Not a soccer mom's SUV

By on Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Pros: "Fun, safe, gets you home from the woods."

Cons: "Blind spots to get used to and mileage."

A work horse that get me home from some bad spots in the woods.

"The most advanced off road vehicle. This is a very light but full framed off road vehicle. A little uncomfortable to sleep in but geared to get you out of the mud. Recommend chains all around on steep grades in the snow and ice. Bumpers are solid steel behind the plastic façade. So the guy that hits you will get the worst of it. Plastic easy to pop out and spray. Can tow and pull using frame mounted rings. Tight turning radius between trees and rocks. Recommend a rear bumper extender on the trailer hitch to protect rear door from being crushed by spare tire mount with rear impact. Independent rear gearing. Rear gears are susceptible to damage if rear-ended while brakes are not applies. Engine very good designed work horse but mileage is poor. It will get you home when other vehicles may not. Room behind front grill for winch but need to provide pan. Recommend oil change every 3K with synthetic. Recommend Kevlar with heavy sidewall ply. I use a 60 inch tractor jack with ribbons in place of a winch. Good ground clearance. Have done many stream crossings with just standard equipment. I plan on keeping this truck forever. In 4WD the turning radius is poor. Mine is a 2007, silver with white roof, running boards, aluminum wheels, roof rack, brush guards, and standard bumper. Recommend installing a rear backup camera on license plate mount. Recommend oiling the frame routinely to keep rust away. Mud will build on inner fenders in nooks, so power wash with care under there. Nice to have a high ride that is short. This vehicle will scratch in the woods, so get cool with that happening and so wear with pride the scars on your skin."

A work horse that get me home from some bad spots in the woods.

Amazing

By on Friday, November 20, 2009

"This vehicle is by far the best vehicle I have ever owned. (I have owned over 20). The safety factors and the size is what first sold me on it. After driving in heavy and deep snow and experiencing the traction/stability control feature, I would recommend this to any driver. I have never had a day of mechanical or any other problems with it also. Many ask me about the mileage and it gets exactly what the sticker stated - 17-21 mpg"

incredible vehicle

By on Thursday, November 21, 2013

"we traded in our 2005 jeep wrangler for the 2013 Toyota fj cruiser. the Toyota is twice as large but with with much better mileage a much better ride than the jeep we are thrilled with the purchase"

Best money I ever spent

By on Saturday, September 28, 2013

Pros: "Reliable, handles any driving cond."

Cons: "no bluetooth"

"My wife calls the FJ my "other wife" because I love it so much. It is reliable, fun to drive (have a stick shift) and handles any weather conditions well. The V6 manual gives it great acceleration from a dead stop. The cargo space is great (we've moved furniture & appliances in it. It is incredibly reliable. I wouldn't trade this vehicle for ANYTHING."

This is my 2nd FJ and looking at getting another!!

By on Monday, March 11, 2013

Pros: "road clearance, smooth road ride, non-stoppable"

Cons: "gas milage, wiper blades don't last long"

"the first one i owned was purchased in june 2007. a nor'easter was coming through in december and i was in the adirondacks when i was returning home (6 hours away). i was in 4-wheel drive for over 5 hours of that trip. the fj went through everything with ease and sure-handedness!! first time ever when it wasn't a white-nuckled snow driving experience. there was over a foot of snow when i arrived home that night. i did have a rear transaxel leak and got that repaired but no other issues. i put on about 35k miles a year and traded it in for a new 2010 fj. most people, when they get a new car, tend to get something different. this was the 1st time that i ever purchased the same vehicle. i did it for several reasons. i'm comfortable with the vehicle. i travel extensively and it can get through anything mother nature has to offer. as simple as the amenities are, they're just what i need. one peeve of mine is that they didn't improve the quality of the wiper blades. they don't seem to last as long as other vehicles i've owned and streak miserably. as crazy as it may seem, i may be trading this in for a new 2013 model. btw my most previous vehicles prior to the fj's were volvos and yes, it was a luxury/amenity shock but i got past that. the comfort (i drive 8 hours at a whack) , reliability, and sure-footedness feeling in inclement weather, keeps me coming back."

I LOVE MY FJ CRUISER!

By on Sunday, January 06, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive, Amazing control ability on/off road"

Cons: "Wish it had bigger stock tires"

"I must say that I adore my FJ Cruiser. It is unlike any other vehicle on the road and any other car I have owned. My husband and I have had ours for a year now and love it so much we will pass it down to our kids. It is great on on the streets and highways but also great for occasional offroaders like ourselves. We have three small kids who can fit across the back seat in boosters, but I wouldn't recommend it to those with multiple car seats! The biggest complaint about it that I have seen here is the visibility issues. Yes, there are huge blind spots, which I now know to just not depend on looking over my shoulder, instead I use the small mirrors on the sides! Never had any problems with changing lanes! But aside from that I have no issues with my FJ!"

Love my Little FJ!!!

By on Saturday, December 29, 2012

Pros: "Fun, very comfortable for taller people (I'm 6'2")"

"Well, went to get the oil changed today at 60K and walked into the showroom with some money burning a hole in my pocket. Drove a gorgeous new 4Runner, but walked and decided to just think about an impulse decision (for once!). After pondering this all day, I've decided I really do just love my FJ too much to part with it yet. I've traded off vehicles just for the sake of having something new or different, but I'm realizing it would be foolish to get rid of something that has been so perfect for me. A buddy just got a new Wrangler, and I personally think it's junk compared to my tight, squeak-and-rattle-free FJ. I want to note that I've owned it since new (it's an '07), and the only thing I've done to it is change the oil........oh, and the tires. Nothing else. What can I add, other than to say it's been a great rig and I'm glad I'm keeping it!!!"

Love it!

By on Thursday, October 11, 2012

"Love my FJ. 'Wicked blind spot'? That reviewer must be 4 feet tall. I never had a problem, the blind spot gripe is way over rated. As far as gas mileage, I average 22 mpg city/highway. Like any vehicle you need to go lightly on the gas pedal and watch your speed. Seats are very comfortable even though the interior is spartan. It would be nice to have some sort of an upgrade interior option though. Stereo is phenomenal too."

Reliable, Go Anywhere SUV

By on Tuesday, August 09, 2011

Pros: "Fun to drive, reliable, excellent off-road"

Cons: "blind spots, back seat windows and space"

"I bought my FJ with 15 miles on it. I have never had any problems with it, not even minor mishaps. I can pretty much go anywhere, and working in the mountains, I go most places. I don't do a lot of recreational off roading, but if I did, this is the vehicle I would be driving. Besides some minor blind spots, which you get used to, the only other complaint I would have is the back seat. Kids fit back there, yes, but they can't see out the windows! The washable interior is perfect for kids and dogs and anything else you want to stick back there. The power is excellent as well. I towed a jeep cherokee laredo out of the snowy ditch, which no one thought I could do, and the FJ didn't even pause. I've put a lot of miles on this baby, and may have to give it up to accomodate the kids. That will be a sad sad day."

Excellent Vehcile

By on Wednesday, January 09, 2008

"Had the FJ for over a year now and am totally pleased with the truck. I've had several SUV's including Jeeps, 4X4 trucks, Explorers and the like and the FJ tops them all. I have a lift kit that made much inprovement in handling and stoppong, no more nose dive with hard breaking. With oversized tires, air intake and exhaust mods, I get an average of 22 mpg on the highway. A V8 and sun roof would be nice additions to the package. I will be adding a sun roof this summer. Rear visibility takes a little getting use to but it's not bad at all. I run mid-grade gas and have had no problems. Off road, it's supreme! I have a Jeep CJ7 I've built for off-road but the FJ goes places the Jeep never could. Overall, the Toyota FJ Cruiser is an outstanding vehicle for what it was designed for. Don't buy it for looks, buy it for an all around, do anything vehicle. It's made for off road, take it there."

Best when paired with an Airstream

By on Sunday, September 22, 2013

Pros: "reliability, great towing capacity, fun off-roadin"

Cons: "small gas tank- limited to 200 miles on a tank"

On the road to burning man!

"It's great for camping and off-roading. The retro styling is a great compliment to my 19 foot Airstream. It pulls the 5000lbs rig over the Tioga Pass and Cajon pass with power to spare. No problems since I got it back in 2008. I can see why the resell value is so high, who would want to sell it! Added a after market Alpine with Nav, Bluetooth, iPod and Pandora full integration. I even added a front hitch to carry my Honda Trail 110 while camping. This truck lives up to and exceeds the legendary FJ40! It's destined to be a another collector item."

On the road to burning man!

The only wife you'll need

By on Wednesday, June 30, 2010

"She's a tremendous investment that catches attention stock and dominates with a few add-ons. Smooth ride both on and off road, you'll enjoy nosing up to a Jeep and confidently look them right in the eye if only to say "Yea, I can do the same stuff AND I'll do it in more comfort and luxury". I've owned a variety of cars and trucks including 3 Jeeps and my FJ is hands down the best automotive investment I've made. If you're looking for a vehicle you're excited to grab the keys to then take a knee because I now pronounce you man and FJ Cruiser."

Perfection

By on Sunday, January 10, 2010

"The FJ Cruiser is Toyota's best creation ever for offroad enthusiast's (such as myself). The vehicle is made to be upgraded with aftermarket parts. An FJ, such as one with the TRD package, can take you to most offroad locations. One loaded with aftermarket parts can take you nearly wherever you want to go. I'm a huge man - 6'4" 300 lbs, and I easily fit in this vehicle, along with my wife and 2 kids. The vehicle has a lot of room, is a joy to drive, gets decent gas mileage for its' class, and always get's looks. Plus when you own an FJ, you become part of a family. Other FJ owners always wave or smile when they see another FJ. That's part of the FJ experience."

BEST SUV EVER

By on Thursday, June 04, 2009

"Am 57 yrs old, had many cars and trucks over the years. There's nothing that has been this much fun. They talk about the blind spots, the mirrors are so good you can see everything until there right along side of you. Just takes a little getting used to. FANTASTIC SUV!!! on and off road."

Best of the best

By on Monday, January 21, 2008

"I have owned my Fj for 1 to 2 yrs, 18,000 miles. I have had zero problems. I live on top of a mountain in North East Tennessee and I absolutely love to drive up and down the mountain trails. The power and control is great. It is so much fun to drive! I have two small boys, 2 and 5 yrs old. Getting in and out of the back seat takes some getting used to, but its not that bad. The blind spot on the rear passenger side, the gas millage (16.5 city & 21 hwy), and the getting in and out of the back seats are the only down sides to the vehicle. If you are serious about buying a FJ you must do your homework and decide what you really need in a vehicle, because if you test drive this vehicle you will, most likely, fall in love. I am 6'3 and I have more head room and leg room than any vehicle that I've ever driven. Driver comfort is great, the factory sound system is above average, and the confidence on the road I have is priceless. I highly recommend this vehicle to anyone that is not afraid to have fun while driving."

Trendy & Pratical

By on Tuesday, September 25, 2007

"Our family has owned our FJ for a little over a year now. We love it. It is so much fun. We got the 6 speed and have had no problems with sluggishness or performance. We are a family of four so it is the perfect size for us and all our stuff. We live in Missouri, so we experience all sorts of weather... Last winter we got a snow of about 12 or so inches... we were out in it all day and didn't get stuck one time. We even stopped to help several American-made tough trucks that weren't moving. :-) Going muddin' is a blast! As far as comfort and convenience, this is not a luxury car, but was not meant to be. It is built rugged for a reason. I am only 4'11" and my husband is 5'9" and we neither one have any problems with the "visibility" issue that others have stated. In any vehicle you have to be alert and pay attention. I will agree with another reviewer though, the windshield is definitely a "bug magnet". I think the main problem is because it is completely vertical rather than sloped. But this is a minor inconvenience. We have received so my compliments and comments from everyone. It is definitely an attention getter. And it is a Toyota so we know it will last forever. My son is 9 and he says he gets the FJ when he turns 16... I would bet money on him being right... that is if we are ready to give it up by then! I definitely recommend the FJ if you are into adventure and fun.... and aren't looking for luxury."

Fantastic FJ

By on Saturday, September 08, 2007

"I have owned the FJ for about 6 months and LOVE LOVE LOVE it! It's my first "non-american" auto....but with the Toyota rep. I figured I couldn't go wrong. The look of the FJ is what hooked me right away...then once I got inside and drove it....HAD to have it. Replaced a fully loaded Ford Expedition and couldn't be happier! Both are four wheel drive and the mileage on the FJ is FAB compared to what I was getting! It's a fun vehicle to drive and you do get lots of attention on and off road with it. As for the blindspots-not a prob if you adjust your mirrors (I'm 5'3" and don't have a prob). I do however have two complaints relating to "comfort", I spend most of my day driving for work and the windshield frustrates the heck out of me!! It is with out a doubt the WORST bug catcher I've ever seen. And the wipers don't clean the bug mess very well. I also think the center counsole could have been designed better...I love the fact that I have the jack for my ipod..but there's not really a good place to "set" it, I also think only having one power outlet in the console is a little "too retro" for 2007! Other than those few complaints, my raves for the FJ could go on and on! This is a keeper for sure!"

By on Tuesday, July 24, 2007

"When I first bought the FJ, I had reservations about the blind spots and was wishing I got the 4 Runner instead. Thankfully I didn't change my mind. With proper mirror adjustment, the blind spots are no issue. The ride is very smooth and has more than enough power. My dogs love to hop in the back and go for rides. One thing I wish it did have was a center console with cover. Seems like there isn't enough storage for the small things I need to have sitting next to me. would also have liked rear windows that opened. other than those minor things, the FJ is a great SUV. Oh...the MPG is hard to get used to if changing from a car."

BEST MACHINE EVER CREATED BY HUMAN!

By on Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Pros: "Affordable, safe,fun to drive and very reliable!"

"From the moment that I saw my Trail Teams i felt in love all over again. At first my wife said its too big and ugly, But we end up bought it anyway. We owned a Lexus ES300, Its very reliable and my wife love it so much!. We were looking for a 4x4, but she wanted to keep her favorite Lexus. We shopped around from Jeep to Nissan to Honda and finally i couldn't walk away from a Toyota FJ. For the first whole year my wife didn't touch it at all. I took two weeks vacation just to stay home and enjoy the winter and it was a snowy week and she drove it to work for two weeks straight. And guess what happened next?....We own two FJs now. That's how much we love it. We feel extremely safe, comfortable and so reliable every time we hop in it. and I Love the timing chain too! Best of all Its a Toyota!. What else can I say?"

This is one tough vehicle, bulletproof so to speak

By on Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Pros: "Extremely durable. Perfect size for two people."

Cons: "Blind spots. Not necessarily a family vehicle."

On the beach in Baja

"We purchased one of the first FJ Cruisers to hit the street. It is a pleasure to drive it around town and on the freeway's but that's not what we bought it for. It has taken us to Baja at least 25 time's and traveling on hundred's of miles of rough dirt roads. We have driven to the bottom of the Copper Canyon in Chihuahua Mexico in the blistering heat. Not to mention the blinding snow storm's in the Midwest. I know, I know I sound like a T.V. Commercial but I really like this FJ it has never let us down."

On the beach in Baja

Really Cool Truck

By on Thursday, May 09, 2013

Pros: "good quality, fun to drive, no carpet+++"

Cons: "wished the doors locked when put in drive"

"I bought this SUV after my 4runner got totaled out from a hail storm, I've gotten so many complements on the style and quality of my FJ Cruiser I'm very happy with my purchase and plan to drive this vehicle for a very long time."

Will always drive an FJCruiser

By on Monday, April 29, 2013

Pros: "Great looks, reliability, get up and go, safety"

Cons: "gas mileage, not bad, but not great"

"Love it,love it, love it! This baby will get up and go when I ask it to. I feel very safe in it, no matter the weather or traffic conditions. It handles the mountains and desert equally well. A cruiser on the highway. It always gets lots of compliments. I especially love the convenience of the 110 electrical outlet."

Still in Love

By on Wednesday, October 27, 2010

"I've had my FJ Cruiser for 3.5 years and I am still totally in love. I get a thrill every time I drive it, and it is still beautiful. Never had any problems, runs like a charm. Excellent performance off road and in the snow."

A Jeep with Toyota Reliability

By on Thursday, January 07, 2010

"I purchased this truck for one reason, to go off road. I've taken this vehicle on every "difficult" rated trail in Arizona, so in other words, it's unstoppable (I have lifted it 3" and put on 33" tires). I love this thing! The rear 4 link suspension, locker, and "A-TRAC" are awesome. The only real draw back I can think of is MPG (but every real off road vehicle lacks this) and the fact that Premium fuel is needed. Blind spots can be overcome with a $1 stick on wide view mirror (were people really complaining about this??) So I guess the best way to describe this vehicle and its capabilities is in the title. It's basically a Jeep (which are known being great off road) but with Toyota's excellent reputation for quality, reliability and value."

Awesome Vehicle

By on Wednesday, October 22, 2008

"From the styling, to the quality, to the awesome off-road prowess, this truck certainly is the evolutuion of the original species, the fj40 which has a legendary worldwide reputuation. I just wish the hard / soft top option that was a great feature of the fj40 predecessor. No other manufacturer comes close to the whole package you get with this Toyota. Highly recommend"