2001 Toyota Echo

9.3

Based on 407 Ratings for the 2000 - 2005 models.

9.7/10

Best car EVER MADE!

By on Sunday, June 23, 2013

Pros: "Economical; as"green" as gas gets; high seat level"

Cons: "unstable in high winds or high speeds, road noise"

"I drove this car home in Dec 1999. It is on its 3rd catalytic converter and I replaced the water pump and radiator. Other than that, only standard maintenance and this weekend I got 39.2 miles per gallon!!! It is THE MOST cost-effective car I've ever owned, and that includes the Toyota MR2 I had until it was over 450,000 miles. True, the ride is a little unstable when the wind is howling. And there is a fair amount of road noise. But I'll take that ANY day when what I need is a good, reliable, inexpensive car that can carry 8' lumber with the back seats down AND tow a 4x8 trailer if it's not loaded too heavily. I can't imagine being without this car. It sits so high that even when I had a torn knee ligament, I could still get in and out comfortably; try that in a Honda or any other compact car!!! God forbid my little golden girl should ever give up the ghost, I am going to look for another one with "low mileage" (you know...around 100,000 miles!!!) LOL!! For those of you who list more cons than pros, I'm laughing at you all the way to the bank!!"

Most amazing car ever

By on Monday, November 26, 2007

"This car was amazing. I have never loved a car more. I never had any mechanical problems, only ever had to go to the shop once for new breaks at 130,000 miles. I loved that the locks and windows were manual. Everything was so simple, and I'm the kind of person who appreciates that. It had the most amazing turning radius, I've never seen anything like it. It looks small, but its nice and big on the interior, much bigger feeling than my current Nissan Altima. The trunk is huge. I could easily fit my dog's crate in the back seat. Although the seats weren't made of a great material, they were comfortable and even after hours of driving felt fine. The gas mileage was phenomonal. This car is worth its weight in gold. It was funny looking, but I couldn't ask for a better car. On the other hand, I was almost killed in a low speed accident in a neighboorhood when a truck hit me. My car was totalled with only a dent in the trucks bumper. Basically, echo vs anything= whatever hits you wins. Be it a deer, a dog, a pole...this car will collapse. Also, the plastic bits are cheap and fall off easily. Even after my car going through a crash so poorly, I would buy one again in a heartbeat. Nothing else like them on the road. I wish I could find another one."

I love this car

By on Sunday, May 31, 2015

Pros: "Value, reliable, EZ 2 park, comfortable interior"

Cons: "Poor handling, wider turns, suspension trouble"

"Great car - best I've owned (including past Corolla and Civic). Bought mine refurbished in '05 with only 4700 miles. Reliable, good in winter with chunky tires. Ran like clockwork. Got 40 MPG and I drive hard and fast. Never had a Tercel, but I don't think Toyota would sell many hybrids given the fuel economy of these older, value models. Doesn't handle as well as a Civic, but I'd buy a new one if they still made them."

Great in every aspect!!!

By on Monday, November 28, 2011

Pros: "Great gas mileage, roomy, fun to drive."

"I actually bought my car used while a junior in college and put 100,000 on it in the last eight years. I have never had any maintenance problems on it and the only work I have needed on it were oil changes and tire rotations. It is gas friendly and gets great mileage. Surprisingly, the car is spacious both in the seating cab and trunk. I am a teacher and soccer coach so I always have it filled with soccer gear and class projects. Its easy to put car seats in and sits up to five people safely and comfortably. Used for long trips up the coast and to Vegas and has never shown strain. I can fit into any parking space and hugging tight areas is never a problem! I recently was in a rear end crash and when the first responder asked what kind of car I had he was amazed that such a little car held up and kept me safe from a crash with a SUV:)Great, great car!!!"

I own the mythical "it was just too good" vehicle

By on Saturday, March 01, 2014

Pros: "Reliable, economical, simple, fun to drive!"

Cons: "A little light in the wind at highway speeds."

"Ever heard someone say "I think they discontinued the car because they realized they wouldn't sell many more cars if they were all made like that one." The Echo got slammed and dissed by styling experts pretty heavily. However this is hands-down the best vehicle I have ever owned. I am at 187,000 combined miles on Wisconsin (read snow,salt,gravel,and extreme winter)roads. This little baby has next-to-no rust has had NO major work other than ONE set of brake rotors (NO exhaust work, no alternator,starter,NOTHING, and still sips gas at about 40-43 mpg. The only and I do mean only minor problem is that they are a little light on the road and good quality tires will solve that. Manual everything, no electronics to break or fail. What more can I say? They discontinued this car because it was too good!"

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Toyota Echo near Honolulu. See local deals