2002 Toyota Corolla

8.3

Based on 567 Ratings for the 1998 - 2002 models.

Excellent motor, poor door detailing

By on Thursday, October 02, 2014

Pros: "Marvelous engine performance, total reliability"

Cons: "Door elements (handles and detailing, frail."

"Excellent motor performance over the entire 14 years of constant use. Completely reliable. Motor still quiet, has needed only maintenance service and new brakes. Still has the original suspension parts. But the "carrocería" (detailing?) aspects (door handles, and trims) are very fragile."

A WORKHORSE!

By on Monday, September 01, 2014

Pros: "Great on gas, comfy, easy to drive. Good in snow."

Cons: "many plastic parts"

"This is my 4th Corolla and I don't really want to own anything else. I have had no major issues with any Corolla. This one had 100K miles when I bought it. The only thing big thing I had to replace was the Catalytic Converter. (I believe some states don't have emission control requirements for cars over a certain age, but mine does so this was necessary to pass inspection). I was able to purchase a rebuilt one from a mechanic friend. Engine, tranny and cat still strong @ 200K+ miles. Routine things that at this age, I expect to replace. Front end alignments. Brakes. But nothing major. I didn't rate it a total 10 because like most cars, it has a lot of plastic parts like door handles and cup holders. They periodically snap off. I've replaced some of them, but not all. The trim on outside of car by doors seems to come off on these models, after a few years. That's cosmetic so at this stage, I won't replace. I love my Corollas and hope to buy one more, that will take me well into my retirement."

Love this car.

By on Sunday, August 31, 2014

Pros: "super car"

Cons: "peeling topcoat"

"I wish it was prettier. My topcoat is peeling and it is just too much to repair. I tell everybody to get a Toyota. It always starts in the coldest weather and is so good on gas. I love my Toyota."

best car for the money by far

By on Monday, August 25, 2014

Pros: "reliable, great gas mileage, good in snow"

Cons: "wish they made a Corolla hatchback"

"This car has always started, peppy, great maneuverability, excellent gas mileage even after it started burning oil (about 1 qt/month) at 120,000 miles. Have done basic maintenance and only had to fix a few things after about 120,000 miles--nothing major. Would buy another but they are making the Corolla too big now and standard transmissions seem to be disappearing in everything but sport models with no better gas mileage than 13 YEARS AGO! Can't believe TECHNOLOGY HASN'T ADVANCED IN 13 YEARS!!! ?? BTW, checked out some cars in Canada and find their cars get better gas mileage--their emissions standards are higher so they make 'em more efficient. Here we only get what the oil companies will allow. In Japan the same cars we drive get 3x the mileage!"

This is a sturdy comfortable dependable vehicle

By on Sunday, August 24, 2014

Pros: "comfortable ride, quiet, cost efficient,good mil"

"I have had my "Toy" for approx 9 years. It is my main and only vehicle. I bought it used (approx 56 K miles then). Upkeep normal. Kept up with my oil changes and fluid checks. replaced a set of brakes 1x. 2 sets of tires 40 K to 60 K Miles quality. I was going to go to a newer car in approx a year unfortunately a serious accident recently forces me to buy sooner. I will be looking at the newer Corolla's FOR SURE. I do believe this car was well built and saved my life. ***** 5 stars"