2001 Toyota Corolla

8.4

Based on 588 Ratings for the 1998 - 2002 models.

Not bad for an '01

By on Thursday, December 02, 2010

"I have owned this car only for a short while now, received it free from a family member. I got the car as it had just turned 100k miles on the odometer. The car was having some issues with oil burning (going through a couple quarts every 400-500 miles), has some cosmetic issues (cracked windshield, cracked headlight lens, left drivers side headlight out, never seen a tune up, oil that hadn't been changed in 7000 miles). So, when I got the car, I set my goals to see to the car's needs. Changed the oil, first and foremost (Mobil 1 synthetic 5w30), put in SeaFoam into the crankcase as well. Changed out the headlight. Put in new spark plugs. Will change out the PCV valve on the next oil change, and do a flush on the power steering, tranny, and coolant. Has the check engine light on for the O2 sensor, will change that out next week. All work can easily be done by myself, and I don't have a tremedous aptitude for mechanicals. The oil burning has nearly stopped! I believe the SeaFoam has loosened up the rings, and the carbon build up on the pistons. Changing out the PCV valve will probably help as well. The car runs pretty smooth for its age. Engine still sounds good. I know my brother had problems with the interior plastics, like the door handles breaking, the weather stripping coming off the inside doors, the seat belt for the driver not wanting to stay latched. Had to have these items replaced during the past 50,000 miles (which explains the 3 star Quality rating). Reliability I give a 4 star rating to. I know there are some models of the Camry/Corolla/Avalon during this 8th Generation of Corollas that have had sludge build up in the cylinders (primarily 97-99 models). Soemthing to keep an eye out for if thats the vehicle you are going for. The 2001's have a nice, modern looking front end compared to earlier 8th gen models. Just beware that once you get to the 100k mark on miles that alot of these vehicles are prone to oil burning. Synthetics will help ease this from becoming such a reality, along with additives. Anyhow, to summarize, an overall good car, good resale value, and with just proper maintenance and keeping up with fluid levels, you should easily get 200k + miles out of it."

Reliable and Gas Efficient

By on Thursday, June 19, 2008

"I actually bought my Corolla new off of the lot in Nov of 2001. Since then I have put 127k miles on it. I have actually kept track of every fill up since we bought it and I have averaged above 35 mpg over the life of the car thus far. My last tank I got 39.4 mpg and this is 100% in town driving with stop and go traffic to work. Oil changes only every 5k miles. And, in the last 7 years since purchasing the car I have maybe put 1k into repairs for some new wheel ball bearings on one tire. Other than that the car has run flawlessly and is such a great little car. I can easily foresee another 125k miles on this thing before she goes. Great for commuting. Unlike some other reviewers, I think the car is quite comfortable, even over 400-500 mile trips. Anyway, with gas prices the way they are going I am that much more happy that I made this purchase so many years ago."

Great car-377000 miles

By on Sunday, August 24, 2014

Pros: "Great car--period"

Cons: "for the reliability---NONE"

"The engine is original. The starter was replaced, but the alternator is still original. Still gets over 30 mpg on the highway."

This is a work horse. Reliable and Predictable

By on Saturday, February 16, 2013

Pros: "Reliable, Cheap on gas and gets me there."

Cons: "Little tight on the drivers side as I am 6' 2"."

"I use this car to commute from Palm Desert to San Francisco and have made 13 trips so far. I can almost get there on one tank of gas, 40+ miles to a gallon. I currently own a Lexus and a Mercedes, but this Corolla is the one I take on long trips. Bought the car when it had 37K miles and currently have 100K miles, and still going strong. I love it when I pass by so many gas stations en route to San Francisco that are selling gas at inordinate prices as I filled up my tank cheap at Costco, before leaving home. Toyota is the BEST car on the road...bar none."

Very Reliable Make And Model

By on Friday, November 22, 2013

Pros: "Its a smooth ride, no auto problems"

Cons: "no power windows or locks, very basic!!!"

"This car has been wonderful to me. I loved this car!! Im gonna miss her."