2001 Toyota Corolla

8.4

Based on 584 Ratings for the 1998 - 2002 models.

Burns oil, but still get 33-35mpgs

By on Monday, February 10, 2014

"I was given this car as a gift @ 150,000 miles. These are my observations based on 23,000 miles of ownership. Decent car for getting from point A to B. Combined road and highway (40%/60%)allows me to get 33 to 35mpgs. Interior cloth seats and panels are in good shape. The headliner had completely deteriorated. Had to spend ~80 bucks to get a replacement kit online. It was easier to replace than I thought. Paint quality is really bad. No more clear coat, has matte finish...lol. Also shows bare metal in places. The car does burn oil. It burns about a quart for every 3000 miles. Road noise inside the car is on the loud side. I have replaced a cracked serpentine belt. Both driver and front passenger door handles have been replaced. The old ones became brittle and broke. Easy to replace as DIY. parts are only about 10 bucks per handle. valve cover gasket was replaced at 165,000miles. It was leaking a little oil. PCV valve was also replaced at the same time (It was a little clogged) strut assembly was replaced at 170,000 miles. It was completely shot when I got the car. Replaced/Flushed Brake Fluid Replaced/Flushed Steering Fluid Replaced spark plugs and wires The Daytime Running Light Module fried. Got a replacement from the scrap yard for 10 bucks. Found that there was a loose wire on the wiring harness that plugged into the module. had to go ghetto and solder directly to board. I also found that the ground to the module was bad, I had to splice in a new ground. This took the longest to troubleshoot and fix (1 whole day). In the future I will need to replace the front window. Very pitted from road debris. Overall, I am satisfied with this car. It gets me around town. It is reliable. Everything I have fixed are things I would expect to fix on a car that has 173,000 miles. Only exception is the electrical issue with the day time running lights. Many of these fixes can be done by yourself and do not require a professional. I have saved a lot of money by doing all the repairs by myself. All you need is youtube, a repair manual, and patience."

Great car my Corolla was!

By on Sunday, September 15, 2013

Reason: Engine was about to go!

Pros: "Great car, reliability is beyond excellent, etc..."

"I had a 1998 Corolla CE and it was awesome! Besides the normal replacing or maintenance, the only major repair was a front right drive axle and converter. Had the same thermostat, water pump, the AC had never been charged or repaired in anyway (still had ice cold air when I sold it), same engine and transmission! Even with that kind of mileage, I still got around 30mpg in the city and around 37mpg on the hwy. I had the Oil changed every 5,000 miles and used Walmart, Pepboys, Autozone Motor Oil. A great car but had to get rid of it for the engine was finally going out at 401,585. Starting idling rough and skipping very badly and was told the engine needed replacing! Definitely got my monies worth uh? I now have a 2001 Corolla LE with only 198,583 on it! It's just broke in good now and look forward to putting many more miles on it!"

one of the best cars on the road today

By on Friday, August 09, 2013

Pros: "fun to drive ,very maneuverable"

Cons: "shock struts wear out too soon"

"I bought this 1998 Toyota Corolla in 2004 with 57,000 miles on it . It is one of the best cars I have ever had. The only trouble I have had with it is the starter needed replacing at about 100,000. I have also replaced the shock struts twice which seems to a weak area on this model. It also has a timing chain that never needs replacing as opposed to those models with a timing belt which have to be replaced every 60,000 miles. The car consistently gets 40 mpg or better on the highway when driven less than 65 mph."

Oh What A Feelin'

By on Friday, November 09, 2012

Pros: "great gas, runs forever, minimal repairs"

Cons: "very compact"

"1999 Corolla: my first car and still driving it. I love it. I bought it knowing it needed minor repairs. People ask why I would buy a car with 150,000 miles on it. Well, for a Toyota, that's just breaking it in. The only things that I have had to repair on the car are from the car getting older. After 14 years, things are bound to wear out. That's the great thing about this car. It will run forever until you need repairs. It costs me $30 dollars to fill my tank, and I drive it everyday. I only fill up once every two weeks, too. GREAT CAR FOR A NEW DRIVER."

Very fuel efficient , reliable, excellent value

By on Saturday, November 03, 2012

It'll take more snow than that to keep this corolla off the road!

"I got this car from my grandparents with 110,000 miles. It has given me four years of reliable service with the only maintenance being scheduled oil changes, and replacing the tires and serpentine belt. I have taken it across the country twice and many places in between. It has great fuel efficiency, with a proven highway range of over 450 miles. Handles nicely at high speed and corners very well for a front wheel drive car. This corolla is intrepid in the snow - even without chains. Three adults can sit in the back, but two is more comfortable. I intend to drive this car till it dies; I'm confident it will go past 300,000 miles."

It'll take more snow than that to keep this corolla off the road!

Not bad for an '01

By on Thursday, December 02, 2010

"I have owned this car only for a short while now, received it free from a family member. I got the car as it had just turned 100k miles on the odometer. The car was having some issues with oil burning (going through a couple quarts every 400-500 miles), has some cosmetic issues (cracked windshield, cracked headlight lens, left drivers side headlight out, never seen a tune up, oil that hadn't been changed in 7000 miles). So, when I got the car, I set my goals to see to the car's needs. Changed the oil, first and foremost (Mobil 1 synthetic 5w30), put in SeaFoam into the crankcase as well. Changed out the headlight. Put in new spark plugs. Will change out the PCV valve on the next oil change, and do a flush on the power steering, tranny, and coolant. Has the check engine light on for the O2 sensor, will change that out next week. All work can easily be done by myself, and I don't have a tremedous aptitude for mechanicals. The oil burning has nearly stopped! I believe the SeaFoam has loosened up the rings, and the carbon build up on the pistons. Changing out the PCV valve will probably help as well. The car runs pretty smooth for its age. Engine still sounds good. I know my brother had problems with the interior plastics, like the door handles breaking, the weather stripping coming off the inside doors, the seat belt for the driver not wanting to stay latched. Had to have these items replaced during the past 50,000 miles (which explains the 3 star Quality rating). Reliability I give a 4 star rating to. I know there are some models of the Camry/Corolla/Avalon during this 8th Generation of Corollas that have had sludge build up in the cylinders (primarily 97-99 models). Soemthing to keep an eye out for if thats the vehicle you are going for. The 2001's have a nice, modern looking front end compared to earlier 8th gen models. Just beware that once you get to the 100k mark on miles that alot of these vehicles are prone to oil burning. Synthetics will help ease this from becoming such a reality, along with additives. Anyhow, to summarize, an overall good car, good resale value, and with just proper maintenance and keeping up with fluid levels, you should easily get 200k + miles out of it."

Reliable and Gas Efficient

By on Thursday, June 19, 2008

"I actually bought my Corolla new off of the lot in Nov of 2001. Since then I have put 127k miles on it. I have actually kept track of every fill up since we bought it and I have averaged above 35 mpg over the life of the car thus far. My last tank I got 39.4 mpg and this is 100% in town driving with stop and go traffic to work. Oil changes only every 5k miles. And, in the last 7 years since purchasing the car I have maybe put 1k into repairs for some new wheel ball bearings on one tire. Other than that the car has run flawlessly and is such a great little car. I can easily foresee another 125k miles on this thing before she goes. Great for commuting. Unlike some other reviewers, I think the car is quite comfortable, even over 400-500 mile trips. Anyway, with gas prices the way they are going I am that much more happy that I made this purchase so many years ago."

Great car-377000 miles

By on Sunday, August 24, 2014

Pros: "Great car--period"

Cons: "for the reliability---NONE"

"The engine is original. The starter was replaced, but the alternator is still original. Still gets over 30 mpg on the highway."

This is a work horse. Reliable and Predictable

By on Saturday, February 16, 2013

Pros: "Reliable, Cheap on gas and gets me there."

Cons: "Little tight on the drivers side as I am 6' 2"."

"I use this car to commute from Palm Desert to San Francisco and have made 13 trips so far. I can almost get there on one tank of gas, 40+ miles to a gallon. I currently own a Lexus and a Mercedes, but this Corolla is the one I take on long trips. Bought the car when it had 37K miles and currently have 100K miles, and still going strong. I love it when I pass by so many gas stations en route to San Francisco that are selling gas at inordinate prices as I filled up my tank cheap at Costco, before leaving home. Toyota is the BEST car on the road...bar none."

Very Reliable Make And Model

By on Friday, November 22, 2013

Pros: "Its a smooth ride, no auto problems"

Cons: "no power windows or locks, very basic!!!"

"This car has been wonderful to me. I loved this car!! Im gonna miss her."