1999 Toyota Corolla

8.4

Based on 605 Ratings for the 1998 - 2002 models.

More than just a car.

By on Saturday, May 11, 2013

Pros: "Reliable, Great price, has a ton of character"

Cons: "paint fades a little, but thats normal after 13yrs"

"We had this car for 13 years. I was about 3 years old when my parents bought this car. It was love at first sight. I was a little kid and I worshiped this car. It is THE most reliable car. Never broke down. Never let us down. I'm sixteen now, and a couple days ago, we got in a car accident, and this car saved my life, but the insurance company labeled it totaled. I wont see this car again. I miss it so much, and if you need a car that is reliable, get this. It will never let you down and will be strong till its end. I miss my corrolla. It was more than just a car. it was family"

Totally reliable, minimal upkeep, ease of operatio

By on Tuesday, February 19, 2013

"There's nothing not so great - this car is totally reliable, easy to drive, minimal upkeep. Exterior good - car is outside in Florida sun every day."

Best A to B vehicle!!!

By on Thursday, August 30, 2012

Pros: "very reliable"

Cons: "not luxury car :)"

"Want temporary or troubleless vehicle for getting from A to B? then get it."

Great Dependable Economical Car

By on Saturday, August 18, 2012

Pros: "Almost everything about this car is a pro."

Cons: "Wheel wear, imperfect alignments after hit pothole"

"Great mileage, reliability and performance. I like this car and will keep it until my two boys get to middle school and no longer fit comfortable in th back seat. (another 5 yeears or so) The only problem I have had is that as the tires wear you can start to get some vibrations at high speeds (0ver 65 mph). But most of my driving is on 55 MPH roads so that doesn't bother me much. I was told the car's frame is slightly bent and this was soon after my wife said she hit a monstrous DC pothole really hard and she thought the car was broken. I suspect that Corolla owners that have had tire problems like me have had a similar issue. (realigments aren't perfect now) I love the car and would recommend it to everyone. Oh and headliner is starting to fall down now, too. Oh well - It is 13 yrs old now."

The most practical car ever!

By on Thursday, December 31, 2009

"If you need a car that will last and last and last, then this is the car for you! Perfect for students and those living on a tight budget. Had the car for 7 years until it was totaled in an accident and had NO problems with it besides normal maintenace."

best little car!

By on Monday, July 21, 2008

"i have had my hunter green 1999 toyota corolla le for almost 2 years now and i love it! its great on gas, (which is helpful right now) and totally reliable. with the exception of maintenance and a few minor repairs the car is perfect! its tiny, which is great for parking in the city and i'm small myself so it doesn't phase me! i have a friend who has the same model and we have discussed this one flaw: the hubcaps have a tendency to come off! i see corollas w/o them alll the time too, i find it to be amusing, so it doesn't bother me! i just keep some spare hubcaps in the trunk, just in case!! overall, its a great starter car; reliable, quick, handles well and great gas mileage. i would recommend it to anyone!"

Reliable and Economical

By on Wednesday, March 26, 2008

"Great commuter car - gets over 30 mpg combined city/hwy. Very reliable, only minor repairs and maintenance needed. Currently has 114K, plan to keep for at least a few more years. For a bargain, look for a Chevy Prizm (discontinued in 2002) which is essentially the same car - We also own a Prizm and it's just as good but sells for a few thousand $'s less!"

What a great car!

By on Saturday, January 5, 2008

"Within my extended family we've had probably two dozen Toyotas over the years, and this one has proven once again what great cars they are. With regular oil changes, tire rotation, etc., and with almost 130,000 miles, I have yet to need any type of repair. Truly a great and dependable vehicle!"

super reliability

By on Wednesday, December 26, 2007

"this is my second corolla, both have been super reliable. after about 200,000 miles total on both cars i've never had to do more than routine maintainence. performance is ok since the vehicle is so light and i get 30 mpg in city driving."

OWNED SINCE NEW.

By on Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Pros: "reliable"

Cons: "CHEAP plastic doors on storeage compartments."

"The most reliable car I have ever owned. 185,000 miles on the odometer and I still drive it 550 miles once in awhile to North Carolina. No serious issues other than the A/C that quit recently and cheap interior storage compartments. Like most cars known for longevity, it needs to have the oil changed every 5,000 miles. I live in the Pocono Mountains in PA. It is quite good in snowy weather as long as it has snow tires."

Great gas mileage, pickup, and reliability

By on Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Pros: "Reliable, good on gas, good in snow, great pickup"

Cons: "No remote lock, style a bit dated"

"I have done nothing to this car except standard maintenance for the past 16 years. Sure it is not the most stylish ride, and I still have a cassette radio, but this car has been reliable in the cold and snows of Buffalo, the potholes of the west side highway in NYC, and gunning it onto the 405 in LA. Still runs great, cheap to maintain, great pickup, and better on gas than most current cars( 22 mpg in parking lot style city traffic, 28 mpg in mixed city/ highway driving, 35 mpg for highway) which is down slightly from its youth but still great. Safe, sturdy, great in snow. I stretched to buy a reliable, safe car when I got this. Could have replaced it years ago with anything I wanted. Aside from the aesthetic, this is still a great car and shows no sign of slowing down."

Comfy, good MPG, plenty of space

By on Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Reason: time for upgrade

Pros: "Good space, good MPG, comfy"

Cons: "Low power, costly repair potential"

"Great car, good first car, well worth it's cost. Ran for years and was well cared for. Started going bad and became high way unworthy at about 165k miles but great city vehicle. roughly 24mpg in the city."

The little engine that could

By on Monday, September 2, 2013

Pros: "Great price, good visibility, very reliable."

Cons: "Mediocre acceleration and handling and high speeds"

"15 year old car is up to 210,000 miles and has never needed a tow truck or a major repair. Paid $7,000 for it used, and have gotten 12 good years out of it so far. Everything that normally wears out eventually has to be replaced (timing chain, tires, brakes, catalytic converter, etc.). Engine and transmission are in perfect condition. I always get the regular oil changes at about 5k miles, and the mechanic tells me it should be able to make it to 300,000. The ride is getting a bit rough, but replacing the struts is too expensive for a car this old. I hope to drive it into the ground!"

Rolls Royce heart, cheap skin

By on Saturday, March 23, 2013

Pros: "durable, reliable and fairly efficient"

Cons: "too bad interior, paintjob & door handle aren't"

"our 11 year-old girl refuses to die, even though her surficial parts are disintegrating and she's resembling a bag lady. at over 200k, no sign of engine dying except high oil consumption. But the paintwork is shabby - turning white (on the black finish) and peeling, the interior roof is draping down at the edges, finishes around the doors peeling & cracking, and worst of all - the driver's inside door handle has broken - twice (we swapped the rear door handle around the 1st time). Toyota come on now! but we'll keep her to her last breathe, as she's never stranded us or let us down. Faithful to the end."

Great Car! Change the oil Regularly and go on

By on Sunday, June 3, 2012

Pros: "Very Economical"

Cons: "My family grew larger but the car didn't"

"I grew up on Toyota's and the only time my parents got a different one was when we outgrew it because these vehicles just keep on going just like the Energizer rabbit! My dad checked and changed the oil religiously (he still does)The little station wagon we had as children had Over 220.000 thousand miles AND was still running in great condition before my parents got a bigger Toyota to replace it. Mine has over 180,000 miles. That is the only complaint I have with the Corolla. It won't fit 4 teenagers in the back seat. Love this car!!!"

great gas saver/first car

By on Friday, February 17, 2012

Pros: "reliable, gas saver, cheap."

Cons: "looks a little like an old man car.Mines in tan"

"this is currently my first car, I'm 18 and of course like every other teenager i want a nice fast car. this car isn't exactly fast, but it has some pep. its more for gas mileage, currently my boss cut my hours at work so this baby saves me money. Its so reliable that i haven't had a problem with it yet. as the old saying goes you can't kill a toyota. unfortunately for me i have the model with no power doors or windows, but once you get passed that its a great car."

terrific car

By on Monday, October 10, 2011

Pros: "Steady reliable transportation"

"This has been a fantastic car. It fits me and I've always enjoyed driving it! My requirements of a car are reliability, easy to drive and park and I want it to look nice. My Corolla still has all those qualities after 9 years!"

Cheap but reliable

By on Wednesday, January 27, 2010

"My family bought this car new from the dealership, we have a 1998. It was our family car/ my moms work car up until it reached about 165,000 miles. I have been driving it ever since, and now currently have 205,000 miles on it. The gas milelage is pretty good getting about 30 or more. The interior is pretty cheap, especially the door handles, which have been both replaced twice, and the cup holders and the glove box are broken too as well as the power button for the window and the holder (the plastic) for the power door locks and window. Some parts of the exterior are pretty cheap too such as the headlight covers, and the paint. The engine has done a fair job as far as continuing Toyota's reputaion as far as being reliable and dependable, with a few minor problems that occured after the car got completly buried in mud after a mudslide ( water and debries went down the tail pipe into the engine)! It hasnt ran quite like it used to since then ( which is understandable I think) due to some damage to the CPU and the engine itself. but we had it repaired, which was fairly cheap for the parts. The onley problem I really have with it now is that it tends to burn oil, I usually have to put in about half a quart everytime I fill it with gas, which from what ive read from other reviews is probably pretty normal. Its not a great car for the snow cause of its weight, but the FWD helps a bit. Ive made it over Vail and through the Eisenhower Tunnel on I-70 numerous times during th4 winter and never had any real trouble. Overall, it is a pretty good bang for your buck, wish it had more guts in the engine though, it definitly lacks the horse power, but it will get up and go if you push it."

2001 Corolla Engine Problems

By on Tuesday, September 1, 2009

"The 2001 model of the Corolla has major engine problems. The engine sludges oil and causes the oil to disappear leaving you contantly refilling the oil. The problems didn't start until it was over 100K miles, before that it was perfect. The gas mileage is great and other than the engine there have been very few problems but considering that the engine is a very expensive repair I recommend not investing in this year's model. At least do a lot of research before buying. There is a class action law suit against Toyota for bad engines, this year and model included so Toyota knows about the problems but of course it would be practically impossible to get any money from them. I love Toyota but they just don't make them like they used to and no one is ever willing to accept responsibility for a faulty product anymore."

most reliable

By on Wednesday, June 24, 2009

"This is the most reliable car ever. In the ten years I've owned my 1999 Corolla and driven 122,000 miles, I've only had one non-maintenance repair, and that was covered under warranty. It drives as nice now as it did the day I drove it off the lot brand-new. I plan to keep my Corolla as long as I can. It's also easy on tires, as they last much longer than the mileage for which they are warranted. Gas mileage is around 30 mpg. I also wouldn't want a new car now because we get such bad hail storms in Oklahoma that the paint just gets damaged anyway!"

Still going strong

By on Friday, February 6, 2009

"The 99 Corolla is the first and only car I have ever owned. It was a gift to me from my parents when I graduated from high school. Being a young brat, I have heavily mistreated this car, crashed it a few times, run the engine until it had no oil left, hit curbs, you name it. As I grew up a bit, I began being being a bit more responsible for my car, but I'm still no model for car stewardship. Despite all this mistreatment, my Corolla has never once broken down on me. Even today, with the check engine light glaring at me every day, this car is incredibly resilient and takes me everywhere with great comfort. I have also taken this car many times on very long road trips (over 2000 miles), and it has performed beautifully, and was even quite comfortable. The 99 Corolla is not for someone who wants a flashy look and a loud tailpipe. It won't impress any women, and it might be a little embarrassing to valet park. It won't do 0-60 in 5 seconds (it might in 30 seconds). It's primary goal is to get you from point A to point B without draining your wallet and your gas tank, and it executes this function flawlessly."

Just keeps Going

By on Monday, October 20, 2008

"This car has run for 10 years 200,000 miles without a major breakdown ever. It has taken us on road trips reliably for years and my husband on his daily 3 hr commute. The body has been dinged by other drivers several times and the interior is wearing, but with brakes, tires and oil changes i.e just the regular maintanance, this car still gets 30+ MPG and could go another 150K. Every time someone bangs into the bumper the insurance companies want to "total" this car and we laugh--no way! It's worth a lot more alive than dead."

great buy for commuters

By on Tuesday, June 17, 2008

"at first, i thought a used corolla wasn't very stylish as my very first car, but so many things make up for that. it runs great--even though i am overdue for many of my oil changes, i've only had to go in for one $300 repair in the 4 years i've owned it. i bought it used, which i recommend, so that I could afford a few perks like a sunroof and power windows and doors. amazing gas mileage. seats are a little uncomfortable for long trips and the interior style isnt so hot but that's why its cheap. i would want to buy another, or at least another toyota"

Best Starter Vehicle

By on Monday, March 17, 2008

"This has probably been the most reliable car I have ever owned. I have over 100,000 miles on it, and have only had minor servicing. The only reason I am upgrading is b/c it is too small to haul around my kid/dog/husband and our stuff. It would be the perfect car to start a new driver on as it is small, but reliable and easy to parallel park!"

Takes a beating and keeps on ticking!!!!

By on Tuesday, February 12, 2008

"I've owned this car for 6 years. (I got it when it was 2 years old from my mom) It really is a good car. Its great on gas. It rides surprisingly smooth. My only problems with the car, is that my husband, who is 6 ft. tall thinks its too small. I'm 5'4" and I think its fine for me. The trunk is a lot larger than what you'd expect for a compact car. Its very easy to park. This car also has alot of nice features for the price paid. Over all I love this car. I would reccomend this car to anyone who travels a lot, that doesn't need a lot of room, has no more than 2 kids, and is concerned with fuel efficiency."