1999 Toyota Corolla

8.3

Based on 566 Ratings for the 1998 - 2002 models.

I have a toyota corolla , which is the best car

By on Monday, May 20, 2013

Pros: "ALL THE BODY PART WORKS VERY WELL."

Cons: "NOTHING"

"MY TOYOTA COROLLA.1998 LE,135000 MILES ON IT. IT WAS DRIVING PERFECTLY , SMOOTH, NO SOUNDS, QUICK DRVING., BEST CAR. I RATE IT AS THE BEST . I NEVER HAD ANY TROUBLE WITH THAT ; ENGINE OILS ARE CHANGED FREQUENTLY ACCORDING TO THE SERVICE STICKER. NEW BREAKS . HOW MUCH WOULD BE THE COST?"

Unaware of the problems

By on Thursday, May 16, 2013

Pros: "Great mileage, decently comfortable, handles well"

Cons: "oil leak, no power windows/locks, 2 speed wipers"

"3 weeks after buying the car the oil light came on. There was no oil in the car, so we filled it up and the oil light came on once again another 3 weeks later, and there was black dust on the back of the car above where the exhaust pipe was. Our car (that we paid $3000 for) had an oil leak. We didn't realize how bad it was until we started checking it every time we filled up with gasoline, and every time it was close to empty or past that point. We had to fill it with oil every time we filled up the gas tank (twice per tank if we were on the highway). We found out ours wasn't the only car that did that. A friend of ours has the same year, make and model and his does the same thing."

BEST LITTLE CAR I'VE EVER OWNED

By on Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Pros: "GETS ME FROM POINT A TO B"

Cons: "NO REAL NEGATIVES"

"OUTSTANDING VALUE FOR THE $$$ ALTHOUGH IT COULD BE A LITTLE MORE COMFORTABLE IT'S NOT BAD, 31 IN THE CITY AND 43 ON THE HWY NEED I SAY MORE. VERY RELIABLE AND I WOULD STILL TAKE IT ANYWHERE EVEN WITH 122OOO MI"

More than just a car.

By on Saturday, May 11, 2013

Pros: "Reliable, Great price, has a ton of character"

Cons: "paint fades a little, but thats normal after 13yrs"

"We had this car for 13 years. I was about 3 years old when my parents bought this car. It was love at first sight. I was a little kid and I worshiped this car. It is THE most reliable car. Never broke down. Never let us down. I'm sixteen now, and a couple days ago, we got in a car accident, and this car saved my life, but the insurance company labeled it totaled. I wont see this car again. I miss it so much, and if you need a car that is reliable, get this. It will never let you down and will be strong till its end. I miss my corrolla. It was more than just a car. it was family"

oil consumption, but still super realiable

By on Sunday, April 28, 2013

Pros: "cheap, reliable, simple."

Cons: "Oil consumption (especially on VE) Lack of comfort"

"These engines are prone to oil consumption, especially the VE models with the 3 speed automatic transmission due to the very high rpm on the highway. Toyota extended the warranty because of this, but mine was two months past the extension when I bought it with 67K. Started off about 1qt/500 miles, and now at 152K it is one quart/120 miles. Still, for an engine to survive this long while burning oil at that rate is incredible. Only thing ever replaced was the mass air flow sensor at around 130K which fixed a stalling issue. Definitely not comfortable, but simple and reliable car. MPG with the 3spd VE initially was almost always 28-34MPG, but now that has dropped to 15-20MPG. I purchased a saturn ion to replace it, and very much appreciate the comfort and features (ABS, power locks, intermittent wipes, 4spd auto WITH overdrive) but miss the simplicity of this car. Mine had usual rust on wheel wells, turn signal lever issues, and the drivers side door no longer unlocks with a key from the outside. Not too bad for a 13.5 yr old car all things considered. If it was not for the oil issue (had the car been equipped with a 4SPD auto transmission or engine been replaced under warranty) I have no doubt it would have made it to 300K. I am donating it since I would feel bad selling a car with this much oil consumption to anyone, but it still runs despite the issues."

Worth every penny

By on Saturday, April 06, 2013

Pros: "comfortable, reliable, economical transportation"

Cons: "None really, it performs well under all conditions"

"Comfortable, reliable, economical transportation with much better than average performance even when running the A/C wide open. I am reluctantly trading-in this 2002 Corolla CE because the paint job is faded and chipped from road wear, the head lining needs replacement, and the door jamb plastic trim is cracking. It has served us well for the past eleven years. It has everything I wanted in a car."

Super reliable, easy upkeep - this car is a champ!

By on Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Pros: "Highly reliable"

Cons: "very basic interior"

"I bought this car in 2003 when my Nissan Sentra died. I decided against a flashier car because I wanted to park it on the street in the city. It's like wallpaper and blends so it was never touched. I took many trips from Boston to Albany, NY and Boston to the Cape and it's great on the highway. It also has excellent visibility and zero blind spots, great for teens and new or elderly drivers. I've since moved to the burbs and the car is kept in a garage. It looks like new and has never had any major breakdowns, only minor muffler issues from unavoidable potholes. I've given it the usual upkeep and I wash it fairly frequently - the exterior still shines up nicely. Now that I have 2 little ones, I'm caving in to get a bigger car to accommodate play date friends and gear. But parting ways with this car will be tough, it owes me nothing and I can honestly say it's been a champ. It's perfect for a college student or someone on a fixed budget who needs low gas expenses and high reliability. Two thumbs way up!!"

Rolls Royce heart, cheap skin

By on Saturday, March 23, 2013

Pros: "durable, reliable and fairly efficient"

Cons: "too bad interior, paintjob & door handle aren't"

"our 11 year-old girl refuses to die, even though her surficial parts are disintegrating and she's resembling a bag lady. at over 200k, no sign of engine dying except high oil consumption. But the paintwork is shabby - turning white (on the black finish) and peeling, the interior roof is draping down at the edges, finishes around the doors peeling & cracking, and worst of all - the driver's inside door handle has broken - twice (we swapped the rear door handle around the 1st time). Toyota come on now! but we'll keep her to her last breathe, as she's never stranded us or let us down. Faithful to the end."

Totally reliable, minimal upkeep, ease of operatio

By on Tuesday, February 19, 2013

"There's nothing not so great - this car is totally reliable, easy to drive, minimal upkeep. Exterior good - car is outside in Florida sun every day."

This is a work horse. Reliable and Predictable

By on Saturday, February 16, 2013

Pros: "Reliable, Cheap on gas and gets me there."

Cons: "Little tight on the drivers side as I am 6' 2"."

"I use this car to commute from Palm Desert to San Francisco and have made 13 trips so far. I can almost get there on one tank of gas, 40+ miles to a gallon. I currently own a Lexus and a Mercedes, but this Corolla is the one I take on long trips. Bought the car when it had 37K miles and currently have 100K miles, and still going strong. I love it when I pass by so many gas stations en route to San Francisco that are selling gas at inordinate prices as I filled up my tank cheap at Costco, before leaving home. Toyota is the BEST car on the road...bar none."

My second Corolla - love Toyota!!!

By on Monday, January 07, 2013

Pros: "small enough to park anywhere. Great lasting value"

Cons: "feel bumpy road more than larger vehicle"

"This is my second Corolla. I have had no mechanical repairs except normal wear and tear! With regular oil changes and routine maintenance - no surprise break downs like I had with American made cars I owned prior. I have only driven Corollas for the past 22 years. I could put another 100,000 miles on this car. It will make a great car for a student or second family car. The only reason I will sell it is to buy a 4 wheel drive with a hatch back. I plan to buy Toyota again!! They don't loose their value!! Good ergonomics (seat feels good on long drive)"

270000

By on Friday, December 21, 2012

Pros: "Never stops running"

Cons: "Cheap handles"

"this car will not die this car goes 215miles day it go non stop we got the car at 150000 and it has not stopped once when it hit 230000 you better want to learn how to Chang the oil at 270000 the cars struts are frozen because we live in NH so when we hit a bump you will get wip lash it will not do that if you change the struts and the the transmission is kind of acting funney and it leeks cardiomenocsid poisoning so that's only if you never stop driving it so I love you all and if you whant a car that never stops a Toyota Carroll but next time I'm getting a doge dart and the car is still running strong and we have successfully ran over about 25 squares 3 turtles and 1 porcelain pine I will never make that mustake again and slimed a deer we have a day job and night job so it does never stop."

Such an amazing car!

By on Thursday, November 29, 2012

Pros: "Great car for the price!"

Cons: "The only thing I did not like were the head rests."

"I have owned this car since 1999 and I have never had any problems with it. It has started for me everyday without fail for the past 14 years and has been truly an amazing car. Because I have had the car for so long and because it has been such a great car I feel like it has a soul. I am almost feeling guilty selling her because she have been such a dutiful and reliable little girl to me. I would highly recommend this car to anyone looking for a comfortable, reliable and practicable car."

Oh What A Feelin'

By on Friday, November 09, 2012

Pros: "great gas, runs forever, minimal repairs"

Cons: "very compact"

"1999 Corolla: my first car and still driving it. I love it. I bought it knowing it needed minor repairs. People ask why I would buy a car with 150,000 miles on it. Well, for a Toyota, that's just breaking it in. The only things that I have had to repair on the car are from the car getting older. After 14 years, things are bound to wear out. That's the great thing about this car. It will run forever until you need repairs. It costs me $30 dollars to fill my tank, and I drive it everyday. I only fill up once every two weeks, too. GREAT CAR FOR A NEW DRIVER."

Very fuel efficient , reliable, excellent value

By on Saturday, November 03, 2012

It'll take more snow than that to keep this corolla off the road!

"I got this car from my grandparents with 110,000 miles. It has given me four years of reliable service with the only maintenance being scheduled oil changes, and replacing the tires and serpentine belt. I have taken it across the country twice and many places in between. It has great fuel efficiency, with a proven highway range of over 450 miles. Handles nicely at high speed and corners very well for a front wheel drive car. This corolla is intrepid in the snow - even without chains. Three adults can sit in the back, but two is more comfortable. I intend to drive this car till it dies; I'm confident it will go past 300,000 miles."

It'll take more snow than that to keep this corolla off the road!

Best car!!!!

By on Monday, October 29, 2012

Pros: "great mpg, runs forever!!!"

Cons: "Some fetures are cheaply made, paint on bumper bad"

"i have a 2002 corolla s, the best car i have ever owned,the seats are very nice they feel like you are sitting on a living room couch. the car has a nice design defintly better looking than focus, malibu and civic. if you maintane the car it will last forever has NEVER broken down, it is a real trooper. the only downfall the paint on the bumper did not last at all, and the inside could have been put together better."

Poor Quality

By on Saturday, October 27, 2012

Pros: "Good MPG"

Cons: "Terrible overall quality,Costs too much to maintan"

"I can't think of too many things I have not replaced on this car. The paint is shot, headliner is peeling off, just about everything in the interior has broken at least once. Mirrors, Sun Visors, Cup holders, upholstery - everything goes bad. I have had to also sink quite a bit of money under the hood as well. I bought this for my daughter because of the "Legendary Toyota Quality" reputation. Don't believe it. My neighbors Sienna minivan is falling apart too after just a few years. The paint is peeling off as well and the transmission blew up and now it is leaking oil all over their driveway. This was my first Toyota. It will be my last. I will never again buy a Toyota product. They are too expensive to keep them running."

great first car and great commuter

By on Friday, October 12, 2012

Pros: "fun drive"

Cons: "old radio and bad interior choice"

"the car is very reliable, small and light. the gas milage is great for a 1999 model (32mpg.) Not much HP and it'll take a few seconds gaining speed when on the highway."

Cheap and not safe in an accident

By on Monday, October 08, 2012

Reason: car was totaled in a car accident

Pros: "great gas mileage and low mainence"

Cons: "not good in a car accident, cheaply made"

"I have been in two car accidents where both cars got totaled. Both were close to the same speed 40 mph and both I t boned the other car on passenger side and was not my fault. The Corolla folded up like a cheap tent and my Hyundai Sonata took it like a champ. Cheap to run is the Corolla..safe..not as much as a heavier car."

This car will not die

By on Monday, October 08, 2012

Pros: "Cheap will not die learn to change oil if 230000"

Cons: "This car is made 50% made of bondo"

"I have owned this car for 3 years 50000 a year it last for ever it has 250000 miles on it I have never hade to take it to the repair shop and it is a 2001 the oner before me put 150000 miles on it the worst problem is it takes a lot of oil at 250000 miles on it and all the struts are blown out because we go 250 miles on it a day so my point is it will not die this is a good car for a commuter and if you do 50000 miles on it a year I wood learn to change oil"

this car owes me nothing

By on Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Pros: "great price, long life, maintenance only"

Cons: "kind of uncomfortable for large people, some rusti"

"12 years, 250,000 with just maintenence. No complaints"

Bulletproof!

By on Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Pros: "Reliabilty, easy to maintain"

Cons: "Bland. Basic. Not the smoothest ride."

"This car is approaching 12 years and has been excellent. I have no intention an letting it go any time soon. While most New England cars are falling apart in ten years, this car is still doing great. The only issues have been the clutch master cylinder and slave cylinder, which cost me 60$ in repairs (250$ if I would have taking it to a mechanic). This first and only issue happened at 190K..Clutch, engine, sensors and everything else is good. The check engine light only went off once..for the gas cap being loose. This is the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned. Shocks have been replaced, some dents and dings and a few light bulbs here and there, but with regular maintenance, I see this car easily reaching 300K. Luxurious? No. Comfortable? Meh. Bland? Yes. Basic? Yes. The cassette player, roll up windows and manual locks was even outdated then. Reliable and vitally trouble free? Absolutely. Stupid easy and cheap to maintain."

Awesome car

By on Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Pros: "Reliability gas mileage is pretty good"

Cons: "Acceleration slight road noise"

"I really like mine it's been in the family since it was first bought it has 151k miles on it and it still functions great as far as acceleration it's not the best but if your buying a car like this you probably aren't looking for that"

I HEARD THESE WERE GREAT CARS

By on Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Pros: "Great value & well-made. An AWESOME car."

Cons: "Paint does not hold up well."

"I just bought a 1998 Corolla LE. All I can say is so far after 300 miles of driving it, it's one well-built car. It drives like it's brand new, and I can see myself owning it for many years to come. The clearcoat is the only thing I see as a negative. The body is in real excellent shape, but the paint is quite pitted on the hood, roof, and trunk lid. I will do some touch-up if I can find the correct color."

Best A to B vehicle!!!

By on Thursday, August 30, 2012

Pros: "very reliable"

Cons: "not luxury car :)"

"Want temporary or troubleless vehicle for getting from A to B? then get it."