1999 Toyota Corolla

8.3

Based on 566 Ratings for the 1998 - 2002 models.

Has been reliable for 14+ years, gets good mileage

By on Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Pros: "good mileage and reliable"

Cons: "no moonroof"

"Plan to buy a 2014 soon."

Burns oil, but still get 33-35mpgs

By on Monday, February 10, 2014

"I was given this car as a gift @ 150,000 miles. These are my observations based on 23,000 miles of ownership. Decent car for getting from point A to B. Combined road and highway (40%/60%)allows me to get 33 to 35mpgs. Interior cloth seats and panels are in good shape. The headliner had completely deteriorated. Had to spend ~80 bucks to get a replacement kit online. It was easier to replace than I thought. Paint quality is really bad. No more clear coat, has matte finish...lol. Also shows bare metal in places. The car does burn oil. It burns about a quart for every 3000 miles. Road noise inside the car is on the loud side. I have replaced a cracked serpentine belt. Both driver and front passenger door handles have been replaced. The old ones became brittle and broke. Easy to replace as DIY. parts are only about 10 bucks per handle. valve cover gasket was replaced at 165,000miles. It was leaking a little oil. PCV valve was also replaced at the same time (It was a little clogged) strut assembly was replaced at 170,000 miles. It was completely shot when I got the car. Replaced/Flushed Brake Fluid Replaced/Flushed Steering Fluid Replaced spark plugs and wires The Daytime Running Light Module fried. Got a replacement from the scrap yard for 10 bucks. Found that there was a loose wire on the wiring harness that plugged into the module. had to go ghetto and solder directly to board. I also found that the ground to the module was bad, I had to splice in a new ground. This took the longest to troubleshoot and fix (1 whole day). In the future I will need to replace the front window. Very pitted from road debris. Overall, I am satisfied with this car. It gets me around town. It is reliable. Everything I have fixed are things I would expect to fix on a car that has 173,000 miles. Only exception is the electrical issue with the day time running lights. Many of these fixes can be done by yourself and do not require a professional. I have saved a lot of money by doing all the repairs by myself. All you need is youtube, a repair manual, and patience."

Compact and speedy

By on Friday, January 31, 2014

Pros: "compact, cruise control, like new"

Cons: "space for teenage son, 5 batteries since buying"

"Speedy, compact, nice cruise control."

Great car mechanically - poor interior quality

By on Friday, January 31, 2014

Pros: "very good value, very dependable"

Cons: "poor quality cosmetic items"

"I have owned this car for 14 years and with proper maintenance it has never given me any mechanical/electrical/etc. problems at all and therefore is VERY dependable. The only reason that I would hesitate to buy another Corolla is because of the poor interior quality. The headliner has deteriorated over the years and has holes all over it. The vinyl (plastic?) detail strips around the windows shrunk many years ago and pulled loose in places so I tried to cut them off with some success. Carpet and fabric upholstery are good as well as dash quality. Door openers (both 3 inside and 2 outside) have had to be replaced or fixed - the plastic just broke off! Back window brake light melted and smoked and had to be replaced. FYI - for 11 years this car was mostly kept outside, not in a garage."

Still one of Toyota's best!

By on Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Pros: "Reliable, great MPG, fits in compact spaces"

Cons: "Lightweight and probably not safe in an accident"

"I couldn't ask for a better little A to B commuter car! Its the most reliable, fuel efficient vehicle I have ever owned by far. Everything works like it should and it has never once let me down. My only concern is safety since its so lightweight. It does come with duel airbags so you might walk away from a crash unharmed but the car will totaled."

Quick off the line.Always burned oil.Dependable

By on Sunday, January 26, 2014

Pros: "fast from a start. Fairly roomy. Big trunk."

Cons: "Burns oil."

"Getting some rust.Otherwise a real war horse. No major repairs in 5 yrs. Hate the white color. Going to paint it forest green this summer. If you just want carefree transpo,this is it to the max."

Great gas mileage, pickup, and reliability

By on Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Pros: "Reliable, good on gas, good in snow, great pickup"

Cons: "No remote lock, style a bit dated"

"I have done nothing to this car except standard maintenance for the past 16 years. Sure it is not the most stylish ride, and I still have a cassette radio, but this car has been reliable in the cold and snows of Buffalo, the potholes of the west side highway in NYC, and gunning it onto the 405 in LA. Still runs great, cheap to maintain, great pickup, and better on gas than most current cars( 22 mpg in parking lot style city traffic, 28 mpg in mixed city/ highway driving, 35 mpg for highway) which is down slightly from its youth but still great. Safe, sturdy, great in snow. I stretched to buy a reliable, safe car when I got this. Could have replaced it years ago with anything I wanted. Aside from the aesthetic, this is still a great car and shows no sign of slowing down."

i love this little car

By on Thursday, January 02, 2014

Pros: "comfortable and fun"

Cons: "hard to get in and out"

"rides a little like a gocart but I expected that. handling is excellent, a fun car to drive. seats are very comfortable and the design of the interior is convenient. the not so great side, the engine uses oil and no one knows why.it doesn't leak and it doesn't smoke yet We add a quart about every 300-400 miles. the engine runs fine otherwise."

Best vehicle for starters

By on Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Pros: "Excellent AC, good conditions everything."

Cons: "Exterior not so neat.Needs paint,that's it.White."

"Never let me down in the road.Economic, very reliable, fun to drive.Good performance never had a major expenditure in mechanic stores.Window tinted.Good Stereo with CD-new, not the original."

Comfy, good MPG, plenty of space

By on Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Reason: time for upgrade

Pros: "Good space, good MPG, comfy"

Cons: "Low power, costly repair potential"

"Great car, good first car, well worth it's cost. Ran for years and was well cared for. Started going bad and became high way unworthy at about 165k miles but great city vehicle. roughly 24mpg in the city."

1999 Toyota Corolla - Best Car I Ever Owned

By on Monday, December 09, 2013

Pros: "Reliable, good gas mileage, easy upkeep"

Cons: "Small parts break over time (e.g. door handle)"

"I have owned my Toyota Corolla for 15 years. NEVER did it break down on me, nor did I ever fear it would. The Corolla was such an easy car to own. It always drove well, has a good turning radius, and all it asked of the owner is regular, standard upkeep and maintenance. In return, I received reliability, smooth driving and all anyone could ever ask for in this class of vehicle for everyday use. The gas mileage has always been above average, and I could go forever before having to refuel, on about a ten-gallon tank. It was decently comfortable. The only complaint I have is that after ten years, the door lock automation no longer works, the power windows do not all roll down, and the driver side door handle broke off with normal use. Those things needed higher quality parts, as this is a vehicle folks expect to own for life. I still see Corollas on the road, which are decades older than my 1999. That is the reason I originally decided on the car when I was in College."

30 miles per gal

By on Friday, December 06, 2013

Pros: "no major repeair in 200000"

Cons: "Door handels break very easy."

"I bought with 64,000,put on 140,000,no major repair, just change oil, plugs & coolant."

Very Reliable Make And Model

By on Friday, November 22, 2013

Pros: "Its a smooth ride, no auto problems"

Cons: "no power windows or locks, very basic!!!"

"This car has been wonderful to me. I loved this car!! Im gonna miss her."

excellent utility, very reliable, great gas mileag

By on Sunday, November 17, 2013

Pros: "still a great reliable car"

Cons: "basic looking car"

"This car has served me very well. Very reliable. The gas mileage better than anyone else--can't understand why Corolla hasn't done better in developing a car that does better over these past 12 years. In Japan the cars get better gas mileage. How can they do it there and not here?? I preferred the convenience of a hatch back and still wish Corolla would make such a car since I need the space for carrying stuff more than I need seats for passengers and find many people agree with me. I love the manual transmission; the car always has the pick up and maneuverability above and beyond the automatics."

GREAT DEPENDABLE VEHICLE

By on Sunday, October 27, 2013

Pros: "Easy to drive, maintain and one you will enjoy"

"I presently own a 2000 Toyota Corolla. This vehicle has been extremely dependable. I've driven my Toyota cross-country 2-3 times. I'm a one-person owner of this vehicle and bought it new. I've not had to do any work on this vehicle until it was 12 years old other then basic maintenance, oil change, tune up or a break job after my cross country trips. On the 13th yr, this summer, I replaced the catalyst converter ($500) and I had some other minor work done. Last summer, I had some work done and I think it had to do with an engine light coming on and I got taken for about ($250) last summer. I also, changed my 2nd battery. Other then that, I will need new struts. I just replaced my tires (3) of them and an alignment ($348) this week. This vehicle is still running smoothly and my friends are amazed at how well my car runs being 13 yrs old. Because of my two Toyota's I've own (this now is my 2nd one), my friends have seen how great they've both been. I've recommended Toyotas to my friends and three of them and even my sister have purchase Toyota. My sister's is older then mine and her car is still going! If you're a female, want a dependable vehicle and not get stuck with car payments for a lifetime, this is the vehicle, you should consider buying. You will definitely save in the long run!!! I've not had a car payment in over seven years! Don't think twice when buying this vehicle. Nobody needs a lemon or headaches after investing all the monies in the purchase of a new vehicle. Buy a vehicle you can count on, a TOYOTA."

happy drive for 1 or 2

By on Sunday, October 20, 2013

Pros: "good gas, low maintenance costs and reliable"

Cons: "no back wiper, not the best choice for baby"

"A go go car that is easy on the wallet and it makes a statement by being so invisible.....sure it rattles your bones but that reminds you to slow down, sure it drifts with every wind but that also reminds you to slow down and after 13 years the headlights are not as perky as they once were which also suggests you should slow down. This '99 car owes me nothing . I prefer my money in a bank not a car!"

Very Reliable and Economical

By on Friday, October 04, 2013

"I have owned this 2001 Corolla type-S since purchasing private party in 2009. This car has been very reliable and economical. It offers worry-free ownership and simple maintenance! A no frills performer!"

has been a great car.

By on Saturday, September 21, 2013

"has driver side damage to fender and driver door. New front breaks and battery. Moving to New York and won't need a vehicle."

Great Car....Toyotta Corolla!

By on Tuesday, September 17, 2013

"Last car I owned was a Toyota Corolla, and so I bought my current car, also a Toyota Corolla because my first one lasted to 200,000 miles and the only thing I had to repair was a new radiator. My current one has 135,000 miles on it and has only needed the normal maintainance of tires, oil change, and all the regular maintainance advised by the guidebook included when I bought it brand new in 2002. I am sold on the Toyota Corollas. Two cars lasted me 22 years so far and only a radiator repair. Excellant product, excellant buy."

Great car my Corolla was!

By on Sunday, September 15, 2013

Reason: Engine was about to go!

Pros: "Great car, reliability is beyond excellent, etc..."

"I had a 1998 Corolla CE and it was awesome! Besides the normal replacing or maintenance, the only major repair was a front right drive axle and converter. Had the same thermostat, water pump, the AC had never been charged or repaired in anyway (still had ice cold air when I sold it), same engine and transmission! Even with that kind of mileage, I still got around 30mpg in the city and around 37mpg on the hwy. I had the Oil changed every 5,000 miles and used Walmart, Pepboys, Autozone Motor Oil. A great car but had to get rid of it for the engine was finally going out at 401,585. Starting idling rough and skipping very badly and was told the engine needed replacing! Definitely got my monies worth uh? I now have a 2001 Corolla LE with only 198,583 on it! It's just broke in good now and look forward to putting many more miles on it!"

The little engine that could

By on Monday, September 02, 2013

Pros: "Great price, good visibility, very reliable."

Cons: "Mediocre acceleration and handling and high speeds"

"15 year old car is up to 210,000 miles and has never needed a tow truck or a major repair. Paid $7,000 for it used, and have gotten 12 good years out of it so far. Everything that normally wears out eventually has to be replaced (timing chain, tires, brakes, catalytic converter, etc.). Engine and transmission are in perfect condition. I always get the regular oil changes at about 5k miles, and the mechanic tells me it should be able to make it to 300,000. The ride is getting a bit rough, but replacing the struts is too expensive for a car this old. I hope to drive it into the ground!"

one of the best cars on the road today

By on Friday, August 09, 2013

Pros: "fun to drive ,very maneuverable"

Cons: "shock struts wear out too soon"

"I bought this 1998 Toyota Corolla in 2004 with 57,000 miles on it . It is one of the best cars I have ever had. The only trouble I have had with it is the starter needed replacing at about 100,000. I have also replaced the shock struts twice which seems to a weak area on this model. It also has a timing chain that never needs replacing as opposed to those models with a timing belt which have to be replaced every 60,000 miles. The car consistently gets 40 mpg or better on the highway when driven less than 65 mph."

Good Conditions

By on Tuesday, August 06, 2013

"very good conditions"

very good car, love it, he is my baby

By on Tuesday, July 09, 2013

Pros: "all good"

Cons: "nothing bad"

"very very good toyota, she will last for a hundred years"

Love my Corolla!

By on Monday, July 01, 2013

Pros: "Great gas milage, great stearing, quiet"

Cons: "no fold down back seats"

Day after I bough my car! (Dirt roads make it impossible to keep clean)

"I got this car 3 years ago after my old car from high school broke down. I get the oil changed regularly about every 3,000-3,500 miles. I have been in 2 car accidents with this car and it still runs great! I have 145,100 miles on it currently but got it when it only had 102,500 miles. It is a Manual and runs like a champ. With about 28 mpg in town and 38 mpg on highway. I do have to say though that the only down side to this type of car is that it doesn't have much 'get up and go' like some others but it does get me from point A to point B with no problem. I really don't have any complaints for this car, I love it and will continue to run it till it is done from high mileage! :)"

Day after I bough my car! (Dirt roads make it impossible to keep clean)