1999 Toyota Corolla

8.3

Based on 575 Ratings for the 1998 - 2002 models.

Love this car.

By on Sunday, August 31, 2014

Pros: "super car"

Cons: "peeling topcoat"

"I wish it was prettier. My topcoat is peeling and it is just too much to repair. I tell everybody to get a Toyota. It always starts in the coldest weather and is so good on gas. I love my Toyota."

best car for the money by far

By on Monday, August 25, 2014

Pros: "reliable, great gas mileage, good in snow"

Cons: "wish they made a Corolla hatchback"

"This car has always started, peppy, great maneuverability, excellent gas mileage even after it started burning oil (about 1 qt/month) at 120,000 miles. Have done basic maintenance and only had to fix a few things after about 120,000 miles--nothing major. Would buy another but they are making the Corolla too big now and standard transmissions seem to be disappearing in everything but sport models with no better gas mileage than 13 YEARS AGO! Can't believe TECHNOLOGY HASN'T ADVANCED IN 13 YEARS!!! ?? BTW, checked out some cars in Canada and find their cars get better gas mileage--their emissions standards are higher so they make 'em more efficient. Here we only get what the oil companies will allow. In Japan the same cars we drive get 3x the mileage!"

This is a sturdy comfortable dependable vehicle

By on Sunday, August 24, 2014

Pros: "comfortable ride, quiet, cost efficient,good mil"

"I have had my "Toy" for approx 9 years. It is my main and only vehicle. I bought it used (approx 56 K miles then). Upkeep normal. Kept up with my oil changes and fluid checks. replaced a set of brakes 1x. 2 sets of tires 40 K to 60 K Miles quality. I was going to go to a newer car in approx a year unfortunately a serious accident recently forces me to buy sooner. I will be looking at the newer Corolla's FOR SURE. I do believe this car was well built and saved my life. ***** 5 stars"

Great car-377000 miles

By on Sunday, August 24, 2014

Pros: "Great car--period"

Cons: "for the reliability---NONE"

"The engine is original. The starter was replaced, but the alternator is still original. Still gets over 30 mpg on the highway."

I expected more from Toyota

By on Friday, August 22, 2014

Pros: "cheap to insure"

Cons: "prohibitively expensive to keep roadworthy"

"My previous vehicle was a 1995 Tercel, and it spoiled me. It was reliable, agile and got great mileage (avg 42mpg). This Corolla is sluggish, unwieldy maneuvering, gets abt 24Mpg and has been seriously unreliable. I've had the car for a year and spent twice the purchase price on repairs, from failed brake linings, to suspension, to major engine maintenance. It had been a profound disappointment. I couldn't reconcile my previous experience with Toyota with my experience owning this car until I began to think of it as a General Motors vehicle with Toyota branding. Then the experience was familiar with previous Detroit vehicles I have owned. I could not be more disappointed. After owning this car for a year it has spent between 25 & 33% of its time in the shop."