1999 Toyota Corolla

8.4

Based on 581 Ratings for the 1998 - 2002 models.

A very good, reliable vehicle

By on Friday, April 17, 2015

Pros: "Easy to drive and park."

Cons: "no rear cup holders on the door"

"I bought this car new and never had any issues with it. It has been maintained on the recommended regular basis regarding oil change and maintenance at 30K and 60K at the local Toyota dealership."

An amazing car for gas mileage

By on Tuesday, April 07, 2015

"Very dependable and 40 miles to the gallon, even at this age. Tires and oil have been kept up with. The ac is needing a charge every year, but not leaking oil or burning oil. Bought this car with 100k and now I've put that same amount on and I would by nothing but this car all over again. It's too bad they didn't make a corolla pickup this this mileage and low towing capabilities. I suppose a chop shop could make one out of it."

Excellent car

By on Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Pros: "comfortable, reliable, a pleasure to drive"

Cons: "not much cargo space, small trunk"

"This car is reliable, economical, comfortable and pleasant to drive."

I love my Toyota, I'd hate to give it up!

By on Sunday, March 08, 2015

Pros: "dependable & economical"

Cons: "can't really think of any"

"My 2001 Toyota Corolla has been amazing, the best reliable car I've ever had. No problems outside normal maintenance and I love the front wheel drive - excellent for winter conditions. I'm pushing 200,000 miles and it still runs great but have a few rust spots around the wheel wells and rocker panels but I guess that's to be expected for a car with that many miles and 13 years old. Mechanics say I can get 300,000 with scheduled maintenance because the engine is still in good shape. It's been a great car and I'll hate to trade it in or sell it when it comes time for a new car. I'll definitely look into another Corolla - a good quality car, extremely dependable and economical."

Good solid car

By on Wednesday, March 04, 2015

Pros: "reliable, gas mileage, point A to B car!"

Cons: "burns oil, door panels."

"Good point A to B car. I bought mine almost 5 years ago at 133000 miles exactly. It currently has 172000 and still runs great. I've changed the oil and aside from little things, that's about all. At about 160k it did start burning oil after the valve cover gasket blew and ran low. It's burned oil ever since then but still runs great. I just keep an eye on the oil level and fill it up, uses about a quart every 1000 miles. Only other thing that is real common in these is the door panels will show the glue through the fabric, and then after a while the fabric will fall off. I'd say most of these the fabric is gone, Toyota must have used cheap glue when they did these. The rest of the interior is solid, strong, and good. Most vehicles in florida will have cracks in the dash long before they are 15 years old, but still looks perfect. Most of these cars down here do. It's not the most comfortable, quiet, or luxurious vehicle but I knew that before I ever bought it. It starts every morning, gets me where I need to go, gets 33-34mpg which is great considering it's a base model with the 3 speed auto trans, and I drive 90 miles per day all interstate (70+ mph). I have no complaints at all!"

very good and reliable automobile

By on Tuesday, March 03, 2015

Pros: "need front end worked on"

"a very good and reliable vehical. I was ran off the road by a drunk driver up and over a curb.because of the damage, Ive had 2 motor mounts replaced,wheel berings and pvc re-worked and got a front wheel alignment.the car still shakes a bit at high speeds.a very good car for a person that works on cars. I never had ANY other problems. it runs and sounds great."

Best Vehicle Evar!

By on Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Pros: "Comfortable ride, seats, handler. Great mileage!"

Cons: "I can't think of a single con. Great vehicle."

"What a wonderful vehicle our Corolla 5-speed has been! Comfortable ride, not cramped (at least in front seats). We bought it new in 1998 - I think my husband washed it 3 times the first week. Probably would have slept in it, if he'd thought of it! Now, all these years and 330,000 miles later it still gets nearly 40 mpg, even as decrepitude creeps in. We will probably buy another Corolla, but I doubt they make them as good, now. Great handler, great mileage, absolutely intrepid for 15 years! 330,000 miles is Legendary!"

Good reliable car.

By on Monday, December 29, 2014

"Silver 2002 4 door Corolla Sport. Good condition. Low mileage. AC, power windows and locks, sliding power sun roof, cruise control, AM/FM stereo with single CD player. Great purchase for a new student driver."

reliable!

By on Tuesday, December 16, 2014

"Reliable, affordable, good quality! Easy to maintain and to repairl"

My 1999 Toyota Corolla LE looks like new.

By on Friday, December 05, 2014

Pros: "Its afffordable, dependable (if its maintained)."

Cons: "No rear windshield wiper."

"My Toyota Corolla LE is checked over thoroughly 2 times a year (just before winter and just before summer). Whatever has to be replaced or changed is done. Car has always been kept clean and in garage. Fortunate to have great mechanics to work on my car. I live in an area where all my business (shopping, Drs.)is just a few minutes from my home so I don't pile on the miles. As of today, I have about 54,000 miles."

Been a daily drive vehicle

By on Monday, November 17, 2014

"Been a daily drive vehicle since it was bought in 2005 with 72k from the original owner. Has never left me stranded. Showing its age, plus deer damage, needed a replacement with a little more room (I'm over 6 foot). Overall quality is great, still gets over 30mpg, but lacks power on long hills would still be driving it if I had not stumbled into a deal on a bigger vehicle."

dependable

By on Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Pros: "acceleration,trunk space"

Cons: "burns oil"

"Above average acceleration. Large trunk. Headlights go on automatically at low beam and automatically go to normal beam at sunset. Burns oil."

A very good vehicle.

By on Friday, October 31, 2014

Reason: leave America and return to motherland

Pros: "Great price"

"It's a two owners-car Toyota Corolla LE 02' 140K miles with automatic transmition, four cylinders, 1.8 liters engine, in very good conditions, no mechanic problem, in good shape no accidents clean title Carfax report all power's and Toyota factory staff very well maintains kept has!"

Best car I have ever owned-so reliable and fun!

By on Thursday, October 30, 2014

Reason: needed rack and pinion replacement

Pros: "reliable! Fun to drive! Great gas mileage"

Cons: "interior roof fabric became disattached"

"Always reliable and great gas mileage. No major repairs needed and over 196 thousand miles driven. Sad to have to sell it, but with that many miles, a rack and pinion rebuild was not in the cards. I bought it brand new and maintained it well at the dealership all its life and could not have been happier to have it as my car."

Excellent motor, poor door detailing

By on Thursday, October 02, 2014

Pros: "Marvelous engine performance, total reliability"

Cons: "Door elements (handles and detailing, frail."

"Excellent motor performance over the entire 14 years of constant use. Completely reliable. Motor still quiet, has needed only maintenance service and new brakes. Still has the original suspension parts. But the "carrocería" (detailing?) aspects (door handles, and trims) are very fragile."

A WORKHORSE!

By on Monday, September 01, 2014

Pros: "Great on gas, comfy, easy to drive. Good in snow."

Cons: "many plastic parts"

"This is my 4th Corolla and I don't really want to own anything else. I have had no major issues with any Corolla. This one had 100K miles when I bought it. The only thing big thing I had to replace was the Catalytic Converter. (I believe some states don't have emission control requirements for cars over a certain age, but mine does so this was necessary to pass inspection). I was able to purchase a rebuilt one from a mechanic friend. Engine, tranny and cat still strong @ 200K+ miles. Routine things that at this age, I expect to replace. Front end alignments. Brakes. But nothing major. I didn't rate it a total 10 because like most cars, it has a lot of plastic parts like door handles and cup holders. They periodically snap off. I've replaced some of them, but not all. The trim on outside of car by doors seems to come off on these models, after a few years. That's cosmetic so at this stage, I won't replace. I love my Corollas and hope to buy one more, that will take me well into my retirement."

Love this car.

By on Sunday, August 31, 2014

Pros: "super car"

Cons: "peeling topcoat"

"I wish it was prettier. My topcoat is peeling and it is just too much to repair. I tell everybody to get a Toyota. It always starts in the coldest weather and is so good on gas. I love my Toyota."

best car for the money by far

By on Monday, August 25, 2014

Pros: "reliable, great gas mileage, good in snow"

Cons: "wish they made a Corolla hatchback"

"This car has always started, peppy, great maneuverability, excellent gas mileage even after it started burning oil (about 1 qt/month) at 120,000 miles. Have done basic maintenance and only had to fix a few things after about 120,000 miles--nothing major. Would buy another but they are making the Corolla too big now and standard transmissions seem to be disappearing in everything but sport models with no better gas mileage than 13 YEARS AGO! Can't believe TECHNOLOGY HASN'T ADVANCED IN 13 YEARS!!! ?? BTW, checked out some cars in Canada and find their cars get better gas mileage--their emissions standards are higher so they make 'em more efficient. Here we only get what the oil companies will allow. In Japan the same cars we drive get 3x the mileage!"

This is a sturdy comfortable dependable vehicle

By on Sunday, August 24, 2014

Pros: "comfortable ride, quiet, cost efficient,good mil"

"I have had my "Toy" for approx 9 years. It is my main and only vehicle. I bought it used (approx 56 K miles then). Upkeep normal. Kept up with my oil changes and fluid checks. replaced a set of brakes 1x. 2 sets of tires 40 K to 60 K Miles quality. I was going to go to a newer car in approx a year unfortunately a serious accident recently forces me to buy sooner. I will be looking at the newer Corolla's FOR SURE. I do believe this car was well built and saved my life. ***** 5 stars"

Great car-377000 miles

By on Sunday, August 24, 2014

Pros: "Great car--period"

Cons: "for the reliability---NONE"

"The engine is original. The starter was replaced, but the alternator is still original. Still gets over 30 mpg on the highway."

I expected more from Toyota

By on Friday, August 22, 2014

Pros: "cheap to insure"

Cons: "prohibitively expensive to keep roadworthy"

"My previous vehicle was a 1995 Tercel, and it spoiled me. It was reliable, agile and got great mileage (avg 42mpg). This Corolla is sluggish, unwieldy maneuvering, gets abt 24Mpg and has been seriously unreliable. I've had the car for a year and spent twice the purchase price on repairs, from failed brake linings, to suspension, to major engine maintenance. It had been a profound disappointment. I couldn't reconcile my previous experience with Toyota with my experience owning this car until I began to think of it as a General Motors vehicle with Toyota branding. Then the experience was familiar with previous Detroit vehicles I have owned. I could not be more disappointed. After owning this car for a year it has spent between 25 & 33% of its time in the shop."

Nice car

By on Thursday, August 21, 2014

Pros: "High quality, strong car"

Cons: "Burns oil like a fire"

"This is a very nice car. It burns a quart of oil every gas fillup. Otherwise has been great."

Hey, it's a Toyota!!!

By on Wednesday, August 20, 2014

"Great, reliable, inexpensive transportation. Great engine, handling and gas mileage. Easy to maintain and still running and 14 years old. Wish I had a dollar for each time I heard "it will run forever; it's a Toyota"....."

Runs really well and it's 15 years old!

By on Friday, August 15, 2014

Pros: "Great price and good miles per gallon."

Cons: "Doesn't have a CD player."

"I have a black car. For some reason when it was 10 years old the paint started to come off. Now most of the clear coat is gone and it looks bad with a peeling paint look. I have heard from other friends who have black Toyota's and they have the same experience. The car has had no major repairs, just regular maintanace."

The most reliable vehicle ever. Excellent.

By on Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive,Excellent gas millage."

Cons: "Wish it had a CD player."

I drive alot and having a corolla and a RAV4 and Camry and this helped keep the mileage down

"This Corolla had 83500 miles and all I replaced were batteries and windshield wipers. maintenance was by the book. I wish I didn't have to sell it. this vehicle will go 200k miles with no problems. I sold it to a college student, if I had to sell it, it would be to a student. They need a reliable transportation."