1999 Toyota Corolla

8.4

Based on 590 Ratings for the 1998 - 2002 models.

Burns oil, but still get 33-35mpgs

By on Monday, February 10, 2014

"I was given this car as a gift @ 150,000 miles. These are my observations based on 23,000 miles of ownership. Decent car for getting from point A to B. Combined road and highway (40%/60%)allows me to get 33 to 35mpgs. Interior cloth seats and panels are in good shape. The headliner had completely deteriorated. Had to spend ~80 bucks to get a replacement kit online. It was easier to replace than I thought. Paint quality is really bad. No more clear coat, has matte finish...lol. Also shows bare metal in places. The car does burn oil. It burns about a quart for every 3000 miles. Road noise inside the car is on the loud side. I have replaced a cracked serpentine belt. Both driver and front passenger door handles have been replaced. The old ones became brittle and broke. Easy to replace as DIY. parts are only about 10 bucks per handle. valve cover gasket was replaced at 165,000miles. It was leaking a little oil. PCV valve was also replaced at the same time (It was a little clogged) strut assembly was replaced at 170,000 miles. It was completely shot when I got the car. Replaced/Flushed Brake Fluid Replaced/Flushed Steering Fluid Replaced spark plugs and wires The Daytime Running Light Module fried. Got a replacement from the scrap yard for 10 bucks. Found that there was a loose wire on the wiring harness that plugged into the module. had to go ghetto and solder directly to board. I also found that the ground to the module was bad, I had to splice in a new ground. This took the longest to troubleshoot and fix (1 whole day). In the future I will need to replace the front window. Very pitted from road debris. Overall, I am satisfied with this car. It gets me around town. It is reliable. Everything I have fixed are things I would expect to fix on a car that has 173,000 miles. Only exception is the electrical issue with the day time running lights. Many of these fixes can be done by yourself and do not require a professional. I have saved a lot of money by doing all the repairs by myself. All you need is youtube, a repair manual, and patience."

Great car my Corolla was!

By on Sunday, September 15, 2013

Reason: Engine was about to go!

Pros: "Great car, reliability is beyond excellent, etc..."

"I had a 1998 Corolla CE and it was awesome! Besides the normal replacing or maintenance, the only major repair was a front right drive axle and converter. Had the same thermostat, water pump, the AC had never been charged or repaired in anyway (still had ice cold air when I sold it), same engine and transmission! Even with that kind of mileage, I still got around 30mpg in the city and around 37mpg on the hwy. I had the Oil changed every 5,000 miles and used Walmart, Pepboys, Autozone Motor Oil. A great car but had to get rid of it for the engine was finally going out at 401,585. Starting idling rough and skipping very badly and was told the engine needed replacing! Definitely got my monies worth uh? I now have a 2001 Corolla LE with only 198,583 on it! It's just broke in good now and look forward to putting many more miles on it!"

one of the best cars on the road today

By on Friday, August 09, 2013

Pros: "fun to drive ,very maneuverable"

Cons: "shock struts wear out too soon"

"I bought this 1998 Toyota Corolla in 2004 with 57,000 miles on it . It is one of the best cars I have ever had. The only trouble I have had with it is the starter needed replacing at about 100,000. I have also replaced the shock struts twice which seems to a weak area on this model. It also has a timing chain that never needs replacing as opposed to those models with a timing belt which have to be replaced every 60,000 miles. The car consistently gets 40 mpg or better on the highway when driven less than 65 mph."

Oh What A Feelin'

By on Friday, November 09, 2012

Pros: "great gas, runs forever, minimal repairs"

Cons: "very compact"

"1999 Corolla: my first car and still driving it. I love it. I bought it knowing it needed minor repairs. People ask why I would buy a car with 150,000 miles on it. Well, for a Toyota, that's just breaking it in. The only things that I have had to repair on the car are from the car getting older. After 14 years, things are bound to wear out. That's the great thing about this car. It will run forever until you need repairs. It costs me $30 dollars to fill my tank, and I drive it everyday. I only fill up once every two weeks, too. GREAT CAR FOR A NEW DRIVER."

Very fuel efficient , reliable, excellent value

By on Saturday, November 03, 2012

It'll take more snow than that to keep this corolla off the road!

"I got this car from my grandparents with 110,000 miles. It has given me four years of reliable service with the only maintenance being scheduled oil changes, and replacing the tires and serpentine belt. I have taken it across the country twice and many places in between. It has great fuel efficiency, with a proven highway range of over 450 miles. Handles nicely at high speed and corners very well for a front wheel drive car. This corolla is intrepid in the snow - even without chains. Three adults can sit in the back, but two is more comfortable. I intend to drive this car till it dies; I'm confident it will go past 300,000 miles."

It'll take more snow than that to keep this corolla off the road!