1998 Toyota Corolla

8.4

Based on 601 Ratings for the 1998 - 2002 models.

Best Starter Vehicle

By on Monday, March 17, 2008

"This has probably been the most reliable car I have ever owned. I have over 100,000 miles on it, and have only had minor servicing. The only reason I am upgrading is b/c it is too small to haul around my kid/dog/husband and our stuff. It would be the perfect car to start a new driver on as it is small, but reliable and easy to parallel park!"

Takes a beating and keeps on ticking!!!!

By on Tuesday, February 12, 2008

"I've owned this car for 6 years. (I got it when it was 2 years old from my mom) It really is a good car. Its great on gas. It rides surprisingly smooth. My only problems with the car, is that my husband, who is 6 ft. tall thinks its too small. I'm 5'4" and I think its fine for me. The trunk is a lot larger than what you'd expect for a compact car. Its very easy to park. This car also has alot of nice features for the price paid. Over all I love this car. I would reccomend this car to anyone who travels a lot, that doesn't need a lot of room, has no more than 2 kids, and is concerned with fuel efficiency."

I love it!

By on Thursday, January 03, 2008

"I really love this car. It is great on gas, and so dependable. Great for hauling my kayaks on the roof with no problem. Use for carpool for last six years and all four adult pasengers were comfortable in it. I'll always stick with Toyota."

smart ride

By on Thursday, October 25, 2007

"I bought this car with 21k on it. have had it for 51/2 years now has 152k. repl one air sensor and normal maintenance(brake pads, tires,belt, battery) that is it. Gets 35mpg and does have a little pickup. Smart ride for the 10k I paid. Other friends moan about troubles with audis, saabs etc. but I just keep on driving. A little cramped but hey, you can't have everything. Take it skiing and camping and it works okay."

Very Reliable Vehicle

By on Monday, October 15, 2007

"We bought a Corolla a few years ago, it's been a great little car. It has 197,000 miles on it and no major problems to speak of. I would reccomend a Toyota to everyone!"

Awesome Car

By on Thursday, August 02, 2007

"This car has been the best car, i've been on several long trips with it with no problems!!"

Good Car for the money!!!!!!!!!!!

By on Friday, July 13, 2007

"I have had my car for 6 years. @ 90,000 was the first repairs I needed to make and that was replacing front brake pads. Kept up with general maint. and the car has been great. I've nicknamed it my Baby Lexus. Great on gas and low on repairs. Gets around good in the winter (live in the snow belt). Would recommend this car to anyone who does a lot of commuting, like myself. Very reliable. Will buy another Toyota, well worth the money."

This is a sturdy comfortable dependable vehicle

By on Sunday, August 24, 2014

Pros: "comfortable ride, quiet, cost efficient,good mil"

"I have had my "Toy" for approx 9 years. It is my main and only vehicle. I bought it used (approx 56 K miles then). Upkeep normal. Kept up with my oil changes and fluid checks. replaced a set of brakes 1x. 2 sets of tires 40 K to 60 K Miles quality. I was going to go to a newer car in approx a year unfortunately a serious accident recently forces me to buy sooner. I will be looking at the newer Corolla's FOR SURE. I do believe this car was well built and saved my life. ***** 5 stars"

Runs really well and it's 15 years old!

By on Friday, August 15, 2014

Pros: "Great price and good miles per gallon."

Cons: "Doesn't have a CD player."

"I have a black car. For some reason when it was 10 years old the paint started to come off. Now most of the clear coat is gone and it looks bad with a peeling paint look. I have heard from other friends who have black Toyota's and they have the same experience. The car has had no major repairs, just regular maintanace."

Best vehicle I've owned , low maintenance costs.

By on Tuesday, July 08, 2014

Pros: "Overall good price over long term."

"Good design both inside & out. Well made car. Made in Tennessee even though it's a Toyota. Would advise family and friends to buy used or new Corollas."

happy drive for 1 or 2

By on Sunday, October 20, 2013

Pros: "good gas, low maintenance costs and reliable"

Cons: "no back wiper, not the best choice for baby"

"A go go car that is easy on the wallet and it makes a statement by being so invisible.....sure it rattles your bones but that reminds you to slow down, sure it drifts with every wind but that also reminds you to slow down and after 13 years the headlights are not as perky as they once were which also suggests you should slow down. This '99 car owes me nothing . I prefer my money in a bank not a car!"

Very Reliable and Economical

By on Friday, October 04, 2013

"I have owned this 2001 Corolla type-S since purchasing private party in 2009. This car has been very reliable and economical. It offers worry-free ownership and simple maintenance! A no frills performer!"

I absolutely LOVE my corolla 2001

By on Thursday, February 09, 2012

Pros: "gas mileage, price, quality, reliability"

Cons: "no real bells and whistles, just basic necessities"

"I have owned it since 2000 (brand new) and the most I have had to do is replace the brakes and clutch-completely routine normal maintenance. I recommend this car to anyone who values reliability, mpg, and quality."

This car always gets me from A to B-very reliable

By on Sunday, December 04, 2011

"This car is very reliable, I usually drive about 65 miles back and forth from work every day, and it has never failed me. I do have a few things i am not very happy with. The electric windows in the front have weak power. and the door handles in the front needed replacing because they wore out very quickly. I recently wrecked in it, from hydroplayning at 60mph and slamed into the cement devidor, and was very happy with how well the car took it. (no one was hurt) and the car will be fixed for under 1,000..."

Drive it till the wheels fall off!

By on Monday, November 21, 2011

"I have taken great pains to take care of my car. With over 200K miles, it's obvious that it has taken care of me too. It burns oil but I'm not too concerned considering the mileage. Still gets great gas mileage at 32 in the city for average. Interior and exterior have held up to our family of four, although it does have some ugly places of torn molding around the windows... mostly where we hang our arms out the window in the summer. If you have a chance to get one with less miles, consider that most cars die long before the corolla!"

i love this car.

By on Wednesday, October 05, 2011

"The Toyota Corolla mostly aims to please the average consumer. Ride quality is smooth and quiet, while the car's handling is adequate but uninspired. This trend continues in the cabin, where there's nothing flashy about the design. Materials quality is only average for this class; however, the control layout is as simple and organized as they come. There's ample room in the backseat."

THE BEST ECONOMICAL CAR

By on Saturday, September 17, 2011

Cons: "no CD player"

"Our car have the best gas mileage. We bought this car brand new last June 2000, and until now we still own and drive it for 11 years without any major repair issues."

2001 Toyota Corolla S

By on Tuesday, January 25, 2011

"I've owned my Corolla for six years and it has been very reliable. After 137,000 miles, no major repairs - other than the paint & oil pan gasket ($250). The paint on the top and front hood have faded and the interior door handles had to be replaced. I've know of other Corolla owners to complain of the same defects. Overall, it's easy on gas, very reliable, and runs great."

Excellent starter car

By on Thursday, January 20, 2011

"This is my first car, bought the car 6 months ago, drove 7K miles, no issues so far, excellent car, decent mileage, excellent AC/heater, love it! hope this car stays for a while with me! go for it!"

Love my 2000 Corolla VE

By on Tuesday, December 07, 2010

"I purchased my 2000 Corolla new in January 2000, and it is by far the best vehicle I have ever owned. I have put 160,000 miles on it. It still gets 30 mpg city and between 35-40 mpg highway. The only major expenses I have had, other than routine maintenance (I keep the oil changed every 3000 miles and have put three sets of tires on it) have been the catalytic converter (@$500) and the expansion valve on the air conditioner (also @$500). The one and only negative about this car, as you will see from other reviewers, is for some reason the designer put the cupholders in the front seat in a position that interferes with the CD player, and you can't charge your phone and have a second drink in the cupholders. A very minor issue for an incredibly well-made, reliable car. I highly recommend this vehicle. I have never owned a car this long, or put this many miles on one, without having new car fever. I just don't see a reason to put the money out for a new car when this one is so great. Hope to put another 100,000 miles on it."

Keeps on going

By on Sunday, September 19, 2010

"My Dad bought me this car (used) near the end of Jr. year of college and I am still driving it almost 10 years later. It has been extremely reliable. The only thing I had to replace, other than typical wear and tear (i.e. serpentine belt, brake pads) was the water pump and I think my starter might be on its way out. Considering I've logged 175,000 miles on this thing, driven it on Mt. roads it was NEVER intended to go to on, and driven it across the country countless times, I think that's pretty good. It's not the most stylish thing ever, but I love it's reliability. Not to mention, there is some sentimental value since my Dad got it for me and it is, and still is, my first car."

The Best

By on Wednesday, March 17, 2010

"Yes, this is the best car I've ever owned. In ten years of driving, I've had no problems at all with it. I just might keep it forever."

2001 Corolla Engine Problems

By on Tuesday, September 01, 2009

"The 2001 model of the Corolla has major engine problems. The engine sludges oil and causes the oil to disappear leaving you contantly refilling the oil. The problems didn't start until it was over 100K miles, before that it was perfect. The gas mileage is great and other than the engine there have been very few problems but considering that the engine is a very expensive repair I recommend not investing in this year's model. At least do a lot of research before buying. There is a class action law suit against Toyota for bad engines, this year and model included so Toyota knows about the problems but of course it would be practically impossible to get any money from them. I love Toyota but they just don't make them like they used to and no one is ever willing to accept responsibility for a faulty product anymore."

By on Friday, June 05, 2009

"The corolla is definately a very dependable car. I bought my 2000 toyota corolla used in 2004 with 60K miles and now it has 210K. I have only replaced regular parts such as brakes and a battery. The corolla is NOT the most stylish cars but is definately a dependable one! Would recommend to anyone!!"

crash resistant

By on Saturday, May 23, 2009

"I can't vouch for many things about this car except the fact that my daughter totaled it 3 wks after we bought it used. The air bags LITERALLY saved her life. She came out with only minor bruises on her knees from the dash......her face and chest were perfectly intact. It seemed to be a great car before that.....a bit of a rough ride but I expect it's because of the short wheel base. It was a plain jane model but i'm thankful for its safety value!"