1998 Toyota Corolla

8.4

Based on 589 Ratings for the 1998 - 2002 models.

great gas saver/first car

By on Friday, February 17, 2012

Pros: "reliable, gas saver, cheap."

Cons: "looks a little like an old man car.Mines in tan"

"this is currently my first car, I'm 18 and of course like every other teenager i want a nice fast car. this car isn't exactly fast, but it has some pep. its more for gas mileage, currently my boss cut my hours at work so this baby saves me money. Its so reliable that i haven't had a problem with it yet. as the old saying goes you can't kill a toyota. unfortunately for me i have the model with no power doors or windows, but once you get passed that its a great car."

terrific car

By on Monday, October 10, 2011

Pros: "Steady reliable transportation"

"This has been a fantastic car. It fits me and I've always enjoyed driving it! My requirements of a car are reliability, easy to drive and park and I want it to look nice. My Corolla still has all those qualities after 9 years!"

Cheap but reliable

By on Wednesday, January 27, 2010

"My family bought this car new from the dealership, we have a 1998. It was our family car/ my moms work car up until it reached about 165,000 miles. I have been driving it ever since, and now currently have 205,000 miles on it. The gas milelage is pretty good getting about 30 or more. The interior is pretty cheap, especially the door handles, which have been both replaced twice, and the cup holders and the glove box are broken too as well as the power button for the window and the holder (the plastic) for the power door locks and window. Some parts of the exterior are pretty cheap too such as the headlight covers, and the paint. The engine has done a fair job as far as continuing Toyota's reputaion as far as being reliable and dependable, with a few minor problems that occured after the car got completly buried in mud after a mudslide ( water and debries went down the tail pipe into the engine)! It hasnt ran quite like it used to since then ( which is understandable I think) due to some damage to the CPU and the engine itself. but we had it repaired, which was fairly cheap for the parts. The onley problem I really have with it now is that it tends to burn oil, I usually have to put in about half a quart everytime I fill it with gas, which from what ive read from other reviews is probably pretty normal. Its not a great car for the snow cause of its weight, but the FWD helps a bit. Ive made it over Vail and through the Eisenhower Tunnel on I-70 numerous times during th4 winter and never had any real trouble. Overall, it is a pretty good bang for your buck, wish it had more guts in the engine though, it definitly lacks the horse power, but it will get up and go if you push it."

most reliable

By on Wednesday, June 24, 2009

"This is the most reliable car ever. In the ten years I've owned my 1999 Corolla and driven 122,000 miles, I've only had one non-maintenance repair, and that was covered under warranty. It drives as nice now as it did the day I drove it off the lot brand-new. I plan to keep my Corolla as long as I can. It's also easy on tires, as they last much longer than the mileage for which they are warranted. Gas mileage is around 30 mpg. I also wouldn't want a new car now because we get such bad hail storms in Oklahoma that the paint just gets damaged anyway!"

Still going strong

By on Friday, February 06, 2009

"The 99 Corolla is the first and only car I have ever owned. It was a gift to me from my parents when I graduated from high school. Being a young brat, I have heavily mistreated this car, crashed it a few times, run the engine until it had no oil left, hit curbs, you name it. As I grew up a bit, I began being being a bit more responsible for my car, but I'm still no model for car stewardship. Despite all this mistreatment, my Corolla has never once broken down on me. Even today, with the check engine light glaring at me every day, this car is incredibly resilient and takes me everywhere with great comfort. I have also taken this car many times on very long road trips (over 2000 miles), and it has performed beautifully, and was even quite comfortable. The 99 Corolla is not for someone who wants a flashy look and a loud tailpipe. It won't impress any women, and it might be a little embarrassing to valet park. It won't do 0-60 in 5 seconds (it might in 30 seconds). It's primary goal is to get you from point A to point B without draining your wallet and your gas tank, and it executes this function flawlessly."

Just keeps Going

By on Monday, October 20, 2008

"This car has run for 10 years 200,000 miles without a major breakdown ever. It has taken us on road trips reliably for years and my husband on his daily 3 hr commute. The body has been dinged by other drivers several times and the interior is wearing, but with brakes, tires and oil changes i.e just the regular maintanance, this car still gets 30+ MPG and could go another 150K. Every time someone bangs into the bumper the insurance companies want to "total" this car and we laugh--no way! It's worth a lot more alive than dead."

great buy for commuters

By on Tuesday, June 17, 2008

"at first, i thought a used corolla wasn't very stylish as my very first car, but so many things make up for that. it runs great--even though i am overdue for many of my oil changes, i've only had to go in for one $300 repair in the 4 years i've owned it. i bought it used, which i recommend, so that I could afford a few perks like a sunroof and power windows and doors. amazing gas mileage. seats are a little uncomfortable for long trips and the interior style isnt so hot but that's why its cheap. i would want to buy another, or at least another toyota"

Best Starter Vehicle

By on Monday, March 17, 2008

"This has probably been the most reliable car I have ever owned. I have over 100,000 miles on it, and have only had minor servicing. The only reason I am upgrading is b/c it is too small to haul around my kid/dog/husband and our stuff. It would be the perfect car to start a new driver on as it is small, but reliable and easy to parallel park!"

Takes a beating and keeps on ticking!!!!

By on Tuesday, February 12, 2008

"I've owned this car for 6 years. (I got it when it was 2 years old from my mom) It really is a good car. Its great on gas. It rides surprisingly smooth. My only problems with the car, is that my husband, who is 6 ft. tall thinks its too small. I'm 5'4" and I think its fine for me. The trunk is a lot larger than what you'd expect for a compact car. Its very easy to park. This car also has alot of nice features for the price paid. Over all I love this car. I would reccomend this car to anyone who travels a lot, that doesn't need a lot of room, has no more than 2 kids, and is concerned with fuel efficiency."

I love it!

By on Thursday, January 03, 2008

"I really love this car. It is great on gas, and so dependable. Great for hauling my kayaks on the roof with no problem. Use for carpool for last six years and all four adult pasengers were comfortable in it. I'll always stick with Toyota."

smart ride

By on Thursday, October 25, 2007

"I bought this car with 21k on it. have had it for 51/2 years now has 152k. repl one air sensor and normal maintenance(brake pads, tires,belt, battery) that is it. Gets 35mpg and does have a little pickup. Smart ride for the 10k I paid. Other friends moan about troubles with audis, saabs etc. but I just keep on driving. A little cramped but hey, you can't have everything. Take it skiing and camping and it works okay."

Very Reliable Vehicle

By on Monday, October 15, 2007

"We bought a Corolla a few years ago, it's been a great little car. It has 197,000 miles on it and no major problems to speak of. I would reccomend a Toyota to everyone!"

Awesome Car

By on Thursday, August 02, 2007

"This car has been the best car, i've been on several long trips with it with no problems!!"

Good Car for the money!!!!!!!!!!!

By on Friday, July 13, 2007

"I have had my car for 6 years. @ 90,000 was the first repairs I needed to make and that was replacing front brake pads. Kept up with general maint. and the car has been great. I've nicknamed it my Baby Lexus. Great on gas and low on repairs. Gets around good in the winter (live in the snow belt). Would recommend this car to anyone who does a lot of commuting, like myself. Very reliable. Will buy another Toyota, well worth the money."

This is a sturdy comfortable dependable vehicle

By on Sunday, August 24, 2014

Pros: "comfortable ride, quiet, cost efficient,good mil"

"I have had my "Toy" for approx 9 years. It is my main and only vehicle. I bought it used (approx 56 K miles then). Upkeep normal. Kept up with my oil changes and fluid checks. replaced a set of brakes 1x. 2 sets of tires 40 K to 60 K Miles quality. I was going to go to a newer car in approx a year unfortunately a serious accident recently forces me to buy sooner. I will be looking at the newer Corolla's FOR SURE. I do believe this car was well built and saved my life. ***** 5 stars"

Runs really well and it's 15 years old!

By on Friday, August 15, 2014

Pros: "Great price and good miles per gallon."

Cons: "Doesn't have a CD player."

"I have a black car. For some reason when it was 10 years old the paint started to come off. Now most of the clear coat is gone and it looks bad with a peeling paint look. I have heard from other friends who have black Toyota's and they have the same experience. The car has had no major repairs, just regular maintanace."

Best vehicle I've owned , low maintenance costs.

By on Tuesday, July 08, 2014

Pros: "Overall good price over long term."

"Good design both inside & out. Well made car. Made in Tennessee even though it's a Toyota. Would advise family and friends to buy used or new Corollas."

happy drive for 1 or 2

By on Sunday, October 20, 2013

Pros: "good gas, low maintenance costs and reliable"

Cons: "no back wiper, not the best choice for baby"

"A go go car that is easy on the wallet and it makes a statement by being so invisible.....sure it rattles your bones but that reminds you to slow down, sure it drifts with every wind but that also reminds you to slow down and after 13 years the headlights are not as perky as they once were which also suggests you should slow down. This '99 car owes me nothing . I prefer my money in a bank not a car!"

Very Reliable and Economical

By on Friday, October 04, 2013

"I have owned this 2001 Corolla type-S since purchasing private party in 2009. This car has been very reliable and economical. It offers worry-free ownership and simple maintenance! A no frills performer!"

I absolutely LOVE my corolla 2001

By on Thursday, February 09, 2012

Pros: "gas mileage, price, quality, reliability"

Cons: "no real bells and whistles, just basic necessities"

"I have owned it since 2000 (brand new) and the most I have had to do is replace the brakes and clutch-completely routine normal maintenance. I recommend this car to anyone who values reliability, mpg, and quality."

This car always gets me from A to B-very reliable

By on Sunday, December 04, 2011

"This car is very reliable, I usually drive about 65 miles back and forth from work every day, and it has never failed me. I do have a few things i am not very happy with. The electric windows in the front have weak power. and the door handles in the front needed replacing because they wore out very quickly. I recently wrecked in it, from hydroplayning at 60mph and slamed into the cement devidor, and was very happy with how well the car took it. (no one was hurt) and the car will be fixed for under 1,000..."

Drive it till the wheels fall off!

By on Monday, November 21, 2011

"I have taken great pains to take care of my car. With over 200K miles, it's obvious that it has taken care of me too. It burns oil but I'm not too concerned considering the mileage. Still gets great gas mileage at 32 in the city for average. Interior and exterior have held up to our family of four, although it does have some ugly places of torn molding around the windows... mostly where we hang our arms out the window in the summer. If you have a chance to get one with less miles, consider that most cars die long before the corolla!"

i love this car.

By on Wednesday, October 05, 2011

"The Toyota Corolla mostly aims to please the average consumer. Ride quality is smooth and quiet, while the car's handling is adequate but uninspired. This trend continues in the cabin, where there's nothing flashy about the design. Materials quality is only average for this class; however, the control layout is as simple and organized as they come. There's ample room in the backseat."

THE BEST ECONOMICAL CAR

By on Saturday, September 17, 2011

Cons: "no CD player"

"Our car have the best gas mileage. We bought this car brand new last June 2000, and until now we still own and drive it for 11 years without any major repair issues."

2001 Toyota Corolla S

By on Tuesday, January 25, 2011

"I've owned my Corolla for six years and it has been very reliable. After 137,000 miles, no major repairs - other than the paint & oil pan gasket ($250). The paint on the top and front hood have faded and the interior door handles had to be replaced. I've know of other Corolla owners to complain of the same defects. Overall, it's easy on gas, very reliable, and runs great."