1998 Toyota Corolla

8.3

Based on 558 Ratings for the 1998 - 2002 models.

Best vehicle for starters

By on Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Pros: "Excellent AC, good conditions everything."

Cons: "Exterior not so neat.Needs paint,that's it.White."

"Never let me down in the road.Economic, very reliable, fun to drive.Good performance never had a major expenditure in mechanic stores.Window tinted.Good Stereo with CD-new, not the original."

Comfy, good MPG, plenty of space

By on Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Reason: time for upgrade

Pros: "Good space, good MPG, comfy"

Cons: "Low power, costly repair potential"

"Great car, good first car, well worth it's cost. Ran for years and was well cared for. Started going bad and became high way unworthy at about 165k miles but great city vehicle. roughly 24mpg in the city."

1999 Toyota Corolla - Best Car I Ever Owned

By on Monday, December 09, 2013

Pros: "Reliable, good gas mileage, easy upkeep"

Cons: "Small parts break over time (e.g. door handle)"

"I have owned my Toyota Corolla for 15 years. NEVER did it break down on me, nor did I ever fear it would. The Corolla was such an easy car to own. It always drove well, has a good turning radius, and all it asked of the owner is regular, standard upkeep and maintenance. In return, I received reliability, smooth driving and all anyone could ever ask for in this class of vehicle for everyday use. The gas mileage has always been above average, and I could go forever before having to refuel, on about a ten-gallon tank. It was decently comfortable. The only complaint I have is that after ten years, the door lock automation no longer works, the power windows do not all roll down, and the driver side door handle broke off with normal use. Those things needed higher quality parts, as this is a vehicle folks expect to own for life. I still see Corollas on the road, which are decades older than my 1999. That is the reason I originally decided on the car when I was in College."

30 miles per gal

By on Friday, December 06, 2013

Pros: "no major repeair in 200000"

Cons: "Door handels break very easy."

"I bought with 64,000,put on 140,000,no major repair, just change oil, plugs & coolant."

Very Reliable Make And Model

By on Friday, November 22, 2013

Pros: "Its a smooth ride, no auto problems"

Cons: "no power windows or locks, very basic!!!"

"This car has been wonderful to me. I loved this car!! Im gonna miss her."

excellent utility, very reliable, great gas mileag

By on Sunday, November 17, 2013

Pros: "still a great reliable car"

Cons: "basic looking car"

"This car has served me very well. Very reliable. The gas mileage better than anyone else--can't understand why Corolla hasn't done better in developing a car that does better over these past 12 years. In Japan the cars get better gas mileage. How can they do it there and not here?? I preferred the convenience of a hatch back and still wish Corolla would make such a car since I need the space for carrying stuff more than I need seats for passengers and find many people agree with me. I love the manual transmission; the car always has the pick up and maneuverability above and beyond the automatics."

GREAT DEPENDABLE VEHICLE

By on Sunday, October 27, 2013

Pros: "Easy to drive, maintain and one you will enjoy"

"I presently own a 2000 Toyota Corolla. This vehicle has been extremely dependable. I've driven my Toyota cross-country 2-3 times. I'm a one-person owner of this vehicle and bought it new. I've not had to do any work on this vehicle until it was 12 years old other then basic maintenance, oil change, tune up or a break job after my cross country trips. On the 13th yr, this summer, I replaced the catalyst converter ($500) and I had some other minor work done. Last summer, I had some work done and I think it had to do with an engine light coming on and I got taken for about ($250) last summer. I also, changed my 2nd battery. Other then that, I will need new struts. I just replaced my tires (3) of them and an alignment ($348) this week. This vehicle is still running smoothly and my friends are amazed at how well my car runs being 13 yrs old. Because of my two Toyota's I've own (this now is my 2nd one), my friends have seen how great they've both been. I've recommended Toyotas to my friends and three of them and even my sister have purchase Toyota. My sister's is older then mine and her car is still going! If you're a female, want a dependable vehicle and not get stuck with car payments for a lifetime, this is the vehicle, you should consider buying. You will definitely save in the long run!!! I've not had a car payment in over seven years! Don't think twice when buying this vehicle. Nobody needs a lemon or headaches after investing all the monies in the purchase of a new vehicle. Buy a vehicle you can count on, a TOYOTA."

happy drive for 1 or 2

By on Sunday, October 20, 2013

Pros: "good gas, low maintenance costs and reliable"

Cons: "no back wiper, not the best choice for baby"

"A go go car that is easy on the wallet and it makes a statement by being so invisible.....sure it rattles your bones but that reminds you to slow down, sure it drifts with every wind but that also reminds you to slow down and after 13 years the headlights are not as perky as they once were which also suggests you should slow down. This '99 car owes me nothing . I prefer my money in a bank not a car!"

Very Reliable and Economical

By on Friday, October 04, 2013

"I have owned this 2001 Corolla type-S since purchasing private party in 2009. This car has been very reliable and economical. It offers worry-free ownership and simple maintenance! A no frills performer!"

has been a great car.

By on Saturday, September 21, 2013

"has driver side damage to fender and driver door. New front breaks and battery. Moving to New York and won't need a vehicle."

Great Car....Toyotta Corolla!

By on Tuesday, September 17, 2013

"Last car I owned was a Toyota Corolla, and so I bought my current car, also a Toyota Corolla because my first one lasted to 200,000 miles and the only thing I had to repair was a new radiator. My current one has 135,000 miles on it and has only needed the normal maintainance of tires, oil change, and all the regular maintainance advised by the guidebook included when I bought it brand new in 2002. I am sold on the Toyota Corollas. Two cars lasted me 22 years so far and only a radiator repair. Excellant product, excellant buy."

Great car my Corolla was!

By on Sunday, September 15, 2013

Reason: Engine was about to go!

Pros: "Great car, reliability is beyond excellent, etc..."

"I had a 1998 Corolla CE and it was awesome! Besides the normal replacing or maintenance, the only major repair was a front right drive axle and converter. Had the same thermostat, water pump, the AC had never been charged or repaired in anyway (still had ice cold air when I sold it), same engine and transmission! Even with that kind of mileage, I still got around 30mpg in the city and around 37mpg on the hwy. I had the Oil changed every 5,000 miles and used Walmart, Pepboys, Autozone Motor Oil. A great car but had to get rid of it for the engine was finally going out at 401,585. Starting idling rough and skipping very badly and was told the engine needed replacing! Definitely got my monies worth uh? I now have a 2001 Corolla LE with only 198,583 on it! It's just broke in good now and look forward to putting many more miles on it!"

The little engine that could

By on Monday, September 02, 2013

Pros: "Great price, good visibility, very reliable."

Cons: "Mediocre acceleration and handling and high speeds"

"15 year old car is up to 210,000 miles and has never needed a tow truck or a major repair. Paid $7,000 for it used, and have gotten 12 good years out of it so far. Everything that normally wears out eventually has to be replaced (timing chain, tires, brakes, catalytic converter, etc.). Engine and transmission are in perfect condition. I always get the regular oil changes at about 5k miles, and the mechanic tells me it should be able to make it to 300,000. The ride is getting a bit rough, but replacing the struts is too expensive for a car this old. I hope to drive it into the ground!"

one of the best cars on the road today

By on Friday, August 09, 2013

Pros: "fun to drive ,very maneuverable"

Cons: "shock struts wear out too soon"

"I bought this 1998 Toyota Corolla in 2004 with 57,000 miles on it . It is one of the best cars I have ever had. The only trouble I have had with it is the starter needed replacing at about 100,000. I have also replaced the shock struts twice which seems to a weak area on this model. It also has a timing chain that never needs replacing as opposed to those models with a timing belt which have to be replaced every 60,000 miles. The car consistently gets 40 mpg or better on the highway when driven less than 65 mph."

Good Conditions

By on Tuesday, August 06, 2013

"very good conditions"

very good car, love it, he is my baby

By on Tuesday, July 09, 2013

Pros: "all good"

Cons: "nothing bad"

"very very good toyota, she will last for a hundred years"

Love my Corolla!

By on Monday, July 01, 2013

Pros: "Great gas milage, great stearing, quiet"

Cons: "no fold down back seats"

Day after I bough my car! (Dirt roads make it impossible to keep clean)

"I got this car 3 years ago after my old car from high school broke down. I get the oil changed regularly about every 3,000-3,500 miles. I have been in 2 car accidents with this car and it still runs great! I have 145,100 miles on it currently but got it when it only had 102,500 miles. It is a Manual and runs like a champ. With about 28 mpg in town and 38 mpg on highway. I do have to say though that the only down side to this type of car is that it doesn't have much 'get up and go' like some others but it does get me from point A to point B with no problem. I really don't have any complaints for this car, I love it and will continue to run it till it is done from high mileage! :)"

Day after I bough my car! (Dirt roads make it impossible to keep clean)

I have a toyota corolla , which is the best car

By on Monday, May 20, 2013

Pros: "ALL THE BODY PART WORKS VERY WELL."

Cons: "NOTHING"

"MY TOYOTA COROLLA.1998 LE,135000 MILES ON IT. IT WAS DRIVING PERFECTLY , SMOOTH, NO SOUNDS, QUICK DRVING., BEST CAR. I RATE IT AS THE BEST . I NEVER HAD ANY TROUBLE WITH THAT ; ENGINE OILS ARE CHANGED FREQUENTLY ACCORDING TO THE SERVICE STICKER. NEW BREAKS . HOW MUCH WOULD BE THE COST?"

Unaware of the problems

By on Thursday, May 16, 2013

Pros: "Great mileage, decently comfortable, handles well"

Cons: "oil leak, no power windows/locks, 2 speed wipers"

"3 weeks after buying the car the oil light came on. There was no oil in the car, so we filled it up and the oil light came on once again another 3 weeks later, and there was black dust on the back of the car above where the exhaust pipe was. Our car (that we paid $3000 for) had an oil leak. We didn't realize how bad it was until we started checking it every time we filled up with gasoline, and every time it was close to empty or past that point. We had to fill it with oil every time we filled up the gas tank (twice per tank if we were on the highway). We found out ours wasn't the only car that did that. A friend of ours has the same year, make and model and his does the same thing."

BEST LITTLE CAR I'VE EVER OWNED

By on Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Pros: "GETS ME FROM POINT A TO B"

Cons: "NO REAL NEGATIVES"

"OUTSTANDING VALUE FOR THE $$$ ALTHOUGH IT COULD BE A LITTLE MORE COMFORTABLE IT'S NOT BAD, 31 IN THE CITY AND 43 ON THE HWY NEED I SAY MORE. VERY RELIABLE AND I WOULD STILL TAKE IT ANYWHERE EVEN WITH 122OOO MI"

More than just a car.

By on Saturday, May 11, 2013

Pros: "Reliable, Great price, has a ton of character"

Cons: "paint fades a little, but thats normal after 13yrs"

"We had this car for 13 years. I was about 3 years old when my parents bought this car. It was love at first sight. I was a little kid and I worshiped this car. It is THE most reliable car. Never broke down. Never let us down. I'm sixteen now, and a couple days ago, we got in a car accident, and this car saved my life, but the insurance company labeled it totaled. I wont see this car again. I miss it so much, and if you need a car that is reliable, get this. It will never let you down and will be strong till its end. I miss my corrolla. It was more than just a car. it was family"

oil consumption, but still super realiable

By on Sunday, April 28, 2013

Pros: "cheap, reliable, simple."

Cons: "Oil consumption (especially on VE) Lack of comfort"

"These engines are prone to oil consumption, especially the VE models with the 3 speed automatic transmission due to the very high rpm on the highway. Toyota extended the warranty because of this, but mine was two months past the extension when I bought it with 67K. Started off about 1qt/500 miles, and now at 152K it is one quart/120 miles. Still, for an engine to survive this long while burning oil at that rate is incredible. Only thing ever replaced was the mass air flow sensor at around 130K which fixed a stalling issue. Definitely not comfortable, but simple and reliable car. MPG with the 3spd VE initially was almost always 28-34MPG, but now that has dropped to 15-20MPG. I purchased a saturn ion to replace it, and very much appreciate the comfort and features (ABS, power locks, intermittent wipes, 4spd auto WITH overdrive) but miss the simplicity of this car. Mine had usual rust on wheel wells, turn signal lever issues, and the drivers side door no longer unlocks with a key from the outside. Not too bad for a 13.5 yr old car all things considered. If it was not for the oil issue (had the car been equipped with a 4SPD auto transmission or engine been replaced under warranty) I have no doubt it would have made it to 300K. I am donating it since I would feel bad selling a car with this much oil consumption to anyone, but it still runs despite the issues."

Worth every penny

By on Saturday, April 06, 2013

Pros: "comfortable, reliable, economical transportation"

Cons: "None really, it performs well under all conditions"

"Comfortable, reliable, economical transportation with much better than average performance even when running the A/C wide open. I am reluctantly trading-in this 2002 Corolla CE because the paint job is faded and chipped from road wear, the head lining needs replacement, and the door jamb plastic trim is cracking. It has served us well for the past eleven years. It has everything I wanted in a car."

Super reliable, easy upkeep - this car is a champ!

By on Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Pros: "Highly reliable"

Cons: "very basic interior"

"I bought this car in 2003 when my Nissan Sentra died. I decided against a flashier car because I wanted to park it on the street in the city. It's like wallpaper and blends so it was never touched. I took many trips from Boston to Albany, NY and Boston to the Cape and it's great on the highway. It also has excellent visibility and zero blind spots, great for teens and new or elderly drivers. I've since moved to the burbs and the car is kept in a garage. It looks like new and has never had any major breakdowns, only minor muffler issues from unavoidable potholes. I've given it the usual upkeep and I wash it fairly frequently - the exterior still shines up nicely. Now that I have 2 little ones, I'm caving in to get a bigger car to accommodate play date friends and gear. But parting ways with this car will be tough, it owes me nothing and I can honestly say it's been a champ. It's perfect for a college student or someone on a fixed budget who needs low gas expenses and high reliability. Two thumbs way up!!"

Rolls Royce heart, cheap skin

By on Saturday, March 23, 2013

Pros: "durable, reliable and fairly efficient"

Cons: "too bad interior, paintjob & door handle aren't"

"our 11 year-old girl refuses to die, even though her surficial parts are disintegrating and she's resembling a bag lady. at over 200k, no sign of engine dying except high oil consumption. But the paintwork is shabby - turning white (on the black finish) and peeling, the interior roof is draping down at the edges, finishes around the doors peeling & cracking, and worst of all - the driver's inside door handle has broken - twice (we swapped the rear door handle around the 1st time). Toyota come on now! but we'll keep her to her last breathe, as she's never stranded us or let us down. Faithful to the end."