1998 Toyota Corolla

8.4

Based on 591 Ratings for the 1998 - 2002 models.

one of the best cars on the road today

By on Friday, August 09, 2013

Pros: "fun to drive ,very maneuverable"

Cons: "shock struts wear out too soon"

"I bought this 1998 Toyota Corolla in 2004 with 57,000 miles on it . It is one of the best cars I have ever had. The only trouble I have had with it is the starter needed replacing at about 100,000. I have also replaced the shock struts twice which seems to a weak area on this model. It also has a timing chain that never needs replacing as opposed to those models with a timing belt which have to be replaced every 60,000 miles. The car consistently gets 40 mpg or better on the highway when driven less than 65 mph."

Oh What A Feelin'

By on Friday, November 09, 2012

Pros: "great gas, runs forever, minimal repairs"

Cons: "very compact"

"1999 Corolla: my first car and still driving it. I love it. I bought it knowing it needed minor repairs. People ask why I would buy a car with 150,000 miles on it. Well, for a Toyota, that's just breaking it in. The only things that I have had to repair on the car are from the car getting older. After 14 years, things are bound to wear out. That's the great thing about this car. It will run forever until you need repairs. It costs me $30 dollars to fill my tank, and I drive it everyday. I only fill up once every two weeks, too. GREAT CAR FOR A NEW DRIVER."

Very fuel efficient , reliable, excellent value

By on Saturday, November 03, 2012

It'll take more snow than that to keep this corolla off the road!

"I got this car from my grandparents with 110,000 miles. It has given me four years of reliable service with the only maintenance being scheduled oil changes, and replacing the tires and serpentine belt. I have taken it across the country twice and many places in between. It has great fuel efficiency, with a proven highway range of over 450 miles. Handles nicely at high speed and corners very well for a front wheel drive car. This corolla is intrepid in the snow - even without chains. Three adults can sit in the back, but two is more comfortable. I intend to drive this car till it dies; I'm confident it will go past 300,000 miles."

It'll take more snow than that to keep this corolla off the road!

Reliable and Gas Efficient

By on Thursday, June 19, 2008

"I actually bought my Corolla new off of the lot in Nov of 2001. Since then I have put 127k miles on it. I have actually kept track of every fill up since we bought it and I have averaged above 35 mpg over the life of the car thus far. My last tank I got 39.4 mpg and this is 100% in town driving with stop and go traffic to work. Oil changes only every 5k miles. And, in the last 7 years since purchasing the car I have maybe put 1k into repairs for some new wheel ball bearings on one tire. Other than that the car has run flawlessly and is such a great little car. I can easily foresee another 125k miles on this thing before she goes. Great for commuting. Unlike some other reviewers, I think the car is quite comfortable, even over 400-500 mile trips. Anyway, with gas prices the way they are going I am that much more happy that I made this purchase so many years ago."

Great car-377000 miles

By on Sunday, August 24, 2014

Pros: "Great car--period"

Cons: "for the reliability---NONE"

"The engine is original. The starter was replaced, but the alternator is still original. Still gets over 30 mpg on the highway."

This is a work horse. Reliable and Predictable

By on Saturday, February 16, 2013

Pros: "Reliable, Cheap on gas and gets me there."

Cons: "Little tight on the drivers side as I am 6' 2"."

"I use this car to commute from Palm Desert to San Francisco and have made 13 trips so far. I can almost get there on one tank of gas, 40+ miles to a gallon. I currently own a Lexus and a Mercedes, but this Corolla is the one I take on long trips. Bought the car when it had 37K miles and currently have 100K miles, and still going strong. I love it when I pass by so many gas stations en route to San Francisco that are selling gas at inordinate prices as I filled up my tank cheap at Costco, before leaving home. Toyota is the BEST car on the road...bar none."

Very Reliable Make And Model

By on Friday, November 22, 2013

Pros: "Its a smooth ride, no auto problems"

Cons: "no power windows or locks, very basic!!!"

"This car has been wonderful to me. I loved this car!! Im gonna miss her."

GREAT DEPENDABLE VEHICLE

By on Sunday, October 27, 2013

Pros: "Easy to drive, maintain and one you will enjoy"

"I presently own a 2000 Toyota Corolla. This vehicle has been extremely dependable. I've driven my Toyota cross-country 2-3 times. I'm a one-person owner of this vehicle and bought it new. I've not had to do any work on this vehicle until it was 12 years old other then basic maintenance, oil change, tune up or a break job after my cross country trips. On the 13th yr, this summer, I replaced the catalyst converter ($500) and I had some other minor work done. Last summer, I had some work done and I think it had to do with an engine light coming on and I got taken for about ($250) last summer. I also, changed my 2nd battery. Other then that, I will need new struts. I just replaced my tires (3) of them and an alignment ($348) this week. This vehicle is still running smoothly and my friends are amazed at how well my car runs being 13 yrs old. Because of my two Toyota's I've own (this now is my 2nd one), my friends have seen how great they've both been. I've recommended Toyotas to my friends and three of them and even my sister have purchase Toyota. My sister's is older then mine and her car is still going! If you're a female, want a dependable vehicle and not get stuck with car payments for a lifetime, this is the vehicle, you should consider buying. You will definitely save in the long run!!! I've not had a car payment in over seven years! Don't think twice when buying this vehicle. Nobody needs a lemon or headaches after investing all the monies in the purchase of a new vehicle. Buy a vehicle you can count on, a TOYOTA."

Great Car....Toyotta Corolla!

By on Tuesday, September 17, 2013

"Last car I owned was a Toyota Corolla, and so I bought my current car, also a Toyota Corolla because my first one lasted to 200,000 miles and the only thing I had to repair was a new radiator. My current one has 135,000 miles on it and has only needed the normal maintainance of tires, oil change, and all the regular maintainance advised by the guidebook included when I bought it brand new in 2002. I am sold on the Toyota Corollas. Two cars lasted me 22 years so far and only a radiator repair. Excellant product, excellant buy."

My second Corolla - love Toyota!!!

By on Monday, January 07, 2013

Pros: "small enough to park anywhere. Great lasting value"

Cons: "feel bumpy road more than larger vehicle"

"This is my second Corolla. I have had no mechanical repairs except normal wear and tear! With regular oil changes and routine maintenance - no surprise break downs like I had with American made cars I owned prior. I have only driven Corollas for the past 22 years. I could put another 100,000 miles on this car. It will make a great car for a student or second family car. The only reason I will sell it is to buy a 4 wheel drive with a hatch back. I plan to buy Toyota again!! They don't loose their value!! Good ergonomics (seat feels good on long drive)"

Such an amazing car!

By on Thursday, November 29, 2012

Pros: "Great car for the price!"

Cons: "The only thing I did not like were the head rests."

"I have owned this car since 1999 and I have never had any problems with it. It has started for me everyday without fail for the past 14 years and has been truly an amazing car. Because I have had the car for so long and because it has been such a great car I feel like it has a soul. I am almost feeling guilty selling her because she have been such a dutiful and reliable little girl to me. I would highly recommend this car to anyone looking for a comfortable, reliable and practicable car."

Awesome car so far

By on Monday, August 29, 2011

Pros: "Great gas mileage, fun to drive mainly in the corners."

Cons: "Smaller then my old van"

"Great car, really solid and a great value, the gas mileage is great now 32mpg it couldn't be better."

One of the best cars I've owned to date!

By on Tuesday, September 28, 2010

"I have owned a few cars but this one surpasses them by far. I got this car used with only 84,000 miles on it and so far it is a great commuter car. Everything works as it should. I own the 98 model which was the first of this style to come about. I think eventually i will end up changing the front end to look like the 01 because i think it looks a lot more modern. The interior of the car is outstanding, I haven't seen a corolla with torn or worn seats yet. They seem to be super strong in quality. When driving in the car the outside noise is barley audible. The car isn't a race car but it isn't a turtle either. You can easily get up to speed and get on your way. One thing that bothers me is the cup holder in the front. It gets in the way of the audio system but thats a minor detail. Another thing that is just annoying the the seat belt light blinks always. I guess it's a common issue with these cars so I'm not too worried. Toyota promises it doesn't effect the mechanism one bit. One thing that I have noticed is that for an older car it has held it's value pretty well. It's still worth over 4 grand for a well kept corolla. The little features like the fading dome light is a cool touch along with the automatic head lights. Overall I would suggest taking the corolla into consideration when on a budget or just looking for a great reliable little car. My very first car was a 1990 corolla and it was super old but being well maintained it never let me down. Best of Luck with your corollas!"

very reliable car

By on Sunday, March 07, 2010

"Great little car. Has plenty of pickup for a 4 cylinder. No repairs until 90k, then starter, and complete brakes with rotors and drums. Parts are so inexpensive it is ridiculous. After 10 yrs the headliner started to drop (glued it back up in 10 minutes), the exterior paint has started to fade (my daughter was not much for washing the car), the inside driver's door handle has broken twice (inexpensive as well, can be avoided by not pulling too hard), plastic headlights had to be replaced due to serious fading, and the outside black trim at the top of the doors has started to peel. All these minor cosmetic issues I consider to be quite acceptable for a 11 year old car with 96k on it. This car has always been very mechanically sound and reliable. However, having been in the collision business for 28 years and counting, I have decided to sell this car because much safer alternatives are available for the last two of our four children. This is not a car you want to be driving when a full size truck or SUV hits you square in the side. And teenagers are not always the smartest of drivers. My oldest daughter wrecked three cars before this one (two large station wagons and a van), which we bought together after she graduated from high school. No accidents since."

Still one of Toyota's best!

By on Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Pros: "Reliable, great MPG, fits in compact spaces"

Cons: "Lightweight and probably not safe in an accident"

"I couldn't ask for a better little A to B commuter car! Its the most reliable, fuel efficient vehicle I have ever owned by far. Everything works like it should and it has never once let me down. My only concern is safety since its so lightweight. It does come with duel airbags so you might walk away from a crash unharmed but the car will totaled."

Best car for the price!

By on Sunday, April 15, 2012

Pros: "great fuel economy, fantastic reliability"

Cons: "small for more than 3 people"

"I own this car and have over 220,000 km on it. Other than regular service (oil, tires, brakes, muffler) I have not fixed or replaced a single major component. In fact, even most of the bulbs are still original. The car is somewhat small for four large people (back seat is small) but is an ideal commuter car for 1 or 2 people. I still get 500 km per tank of gas!"

Great Point A - Point B Car

By on Monday, August 15, 2011

Pros: "Reliable, good price"

Cons: "Cramped back seat,"

"I have been driving this car for about 4 years now. It has a few old car problems (i.e. worn key cylinder) but it has been heavily driven and slightly abused by it's previous owners. Despite that the car runs like a dream. It will get you wherever you need to go, not with much style or power, but it will get you there safely and reliably. All I ever really need to do is give it an oil change! I get about 28MPG in the winter and 32MPG in the summer. On size, I am about 5'11" and I bought it from a guy who fit just fine at 6'2". So the front seat really has no room issues. The back seat, however, can be quite cramped for your average person."

Wonderful

By on Thursday, July 10, 2008

"I have owned this car for 4-5 years now. I have not had a single problem with it. Very reliable. I've only replaced the tires and rims (Silver), which made the car look a lot nicer and updated. I also put in a new cd player. I found the stereo system was quite good already. It's the perfect size for me (5'6'') It has amazing gas mileage, it's actually pretty fun to drive (it's pretty zippy I THINK), comfortable for my size and weight, it's easy to park, and just all around great value. It's a great first car for doing a lot of commuting, like myself. I'm afraid I'll never get another car until this one completely dies. (Which will save me lots of money, even if I get bored with the car) The few downsides on my car are that I don't have power doors, locks, windows, etc, which can be annoying at times. Also, the car IS so lightweight feeling sometimes that in high winds you have to drive more carefully, it's not very high in style on the inside or out (but there's nothing wrong with simplicity), the back seat is pretty tight for leg room, but considering no one is ever in my back seat I don't really care."

My corolla

By on Wednesday, October 03, 2007

"My corolla is a great car for a small family or single person. It gets great gas mileage. about a year before my warranty ran out my motor had to be replaced because it was drinking a quart of oil a week. I had a brand new motor put it in and now it runs great."

I've put 150,000 miles on this car

By on Thursday, July 12, 2007

"I got this car when I was 16 years old, and it has been nothing but reliable for me in the six years I've owned it. I love the manueverability of the compact car, and the interior is as comfortable as any I've sat in. I never had to do any serious work on the car until around 140,000 when the transmission seized up and had to be rebuilt($2000). Other than that I've had to replace normal wearable parts like the starter (120k/$200), the suspension (90k/$800), and the spark plugs (150k/$12). I've given it oil changes every 7k or so, and have yet to enounter a single problem with the engine even though I've averaged 25k miles/year in the car. It's certainly not the most attractive car, the 120hp won't satisfy a need for speed, and the back seat is fairly cramped, but the car is absolutely reliable and gets the transportation job done admirably."

I love my Toyota, I'd hate to give it up!

By on Sunday, March 08, 2015

Pros: "dependable & economical"

Cons: "can't really think of any"

"My 2001 Toyota Corolla has been amazing, the best reliable car I've ever had. No problems outside normal maintenance and I love the front wheel drive - excellent for winter conditions. I'm pushing 200,000 miles and it still runs great but have a few rust spots around the wheel wells and rocker panels but I guess that's to be expected for a car with that many miles and 13 years old. Mechanics say I can get 300,000 with scheduled maintenance because the engine is still in good shape. It's been a great car and I'll hate to trade it in or sell it when it comes time for a new car. I'll definitely look into another Corolla - a good quality car, extremely dependable and economical."

You can never go wrong with a Toyota Corolla

By on Sunday, April 27, 2014

Pros: "Great value, reliability and MPG"

Cons: "Not very good leg room in the back seats"

"We bought this 2002 car in 2001 new from the dealership...and we have absolutely no regrets. The car has been super reliable. The only money we have put into it is the regular maintenance (oil changes, tire changes/rotations, brakes --although brakes only needed to be changed twice in 12 years). We love our corolla so much we bought a 1997 model from a dear friend of ours, that one only has 95,000 and is running like a champ. Unfortunately, due to our recent adoption of our third little one, we need to sell our '97 in order to buy something more spacious (Toyota Sienna). The only con about this car is the space in the back seats, not very roomy."

love it!

By on Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Cons: "small trunk"

"i absolutely love this car!!!!! everytime i get in it from driving our other vehicle (an older volvo), i literally say "ahhhhh!" it's so comfortable and its amazing what i fit inside. has been very reliable and the only thing i would want is a bigger trunk."

Most reliable car!

By on Saturday, October 08, 2011

Pros: "Reliable, economical and comfortable."

Cons: "Interior and exterior looks."

"This vehicle has never let me down and just doesn't stop. I haven't had any problems with it... ever!!! This car isn't the most stylish or the most fun to drive, but for its class, it has decent comfort, space, fuel economy and great reliability."

almost perfect!

By on Tuesday, September 06, 2011

Pros: "Good price, extremely reliable, unpricey in terms of maintenance."

Cons: "Feels unsturdy, bland in appearance, door handles fall off after ten years."

"I have had my Toyota Corolla for 11 years so far, and it has been reliable the whole time. I have never needed roadside assistance accept for tires gone flat. I have only had to replace the tires, struts, and battery of this car over the course of eleven years. It is very reliable and a trouper, but I ended up paying too much for it over the years with my particular dealership's financing. I thought the car felt a bit unsturdy when the wind was really blowing or when I was passed by a semi on the highway. Overall,I would give this car's reliability an excellent rating. My mechanic missed me because I hardly ever had to visit him with my car. I would recommend keeping it in a garage though. After ten years, a few of my door handles fell off after baking in the hot sun of Florida. I always kept it in the driveway."