1998 Toyota Corolla

8.4

Based on 592 Ratings for the 1998 - 2002 models.

Awesome car so far

By on Monday, August 29, 2011

Pros: "Great gas mileage, fun to drive mainly in the corners."

Cons: "Smaller then my old van"

"Great car, really solid and a great value, the gas mileage is great now 32mpg it couldn't be better."

One of the best cars I've owned to date!

By on Tuesday, September 28, 2010

"I have owned a few cars but this one surpasses them by far. I got this car used with only 84,000 miles on it and so far it is a great commuter car. Everything works as it should. I own the 98 model which was the first of this style to come about. I think eventually i will end up changing the front end to look like the 01 because i think it looks a lot more modern. The interior of the car is outstanding, I haven't seen a corolla with torn or worn seats yet. They seem to be super strong in quality. When driving in the car the outside noise is barley audible. The car isn't a race car but it isn't a turtle either. You can easily get up to speed and get on your way. One thing that bothers me is the cup holder in the front. It gets in the way of the audio system but thats a minor detail. Another thing that is just annoying the the seat belt light blinks always. I guess it's a common issue with these cars so I'm not too worried. Toyota promises it doesn't effect the mechanism one bit. One thing that I have noticed is that for an older car it has held it's value pretty well. It's still worth over 4 grand for a well kept corolla. The little features like the fading dome light is a cool touch along with the automatic head lights. Overall I would suggest taking the corolla into consideration when on a budget or just looking for a great reliable little car. My very first car was a 1990 corolla and it was super old but being well maintained it never let me down. Best of Luck with your corollas!"

very reliable car

By on Sunday, March 07, 2010

"Great little car. Has plenty of pickup for a 4 cylinder. No repairs until 90k, then starter, and complete brakes with rotors and drums. Parts are so inexpensive it is ridiculous. After 10 yrs the headliner started to drop (glued it back up in 10 minutes), the exterior paint has started to fade (my daughter was not much for washing the car), the inside driver's door handle has broken twice (inexpensive as well, can be avoided by not pulling too hard), plastic headlights had to be replaced due to serious fading, and the outside black trim at the top of the doors has started to peel. All these minor cosmetic issues I consider to be quite acceptable for a 11 year old car with 96k on it. This car has always been very mechanically sound and reliable. However, having been in the collision business for 28 years and counting, I have decided to sell this car because much safer alternatives are available for the last two of our four children. This is not a car you want to be driving when a full size truck or SUV hits you square in the side. And teenagers are not always the smartest of drivers. My oldest daughter wrecked three cars before this one (two large station wagons and a van), which we bought together after she graduated from high school. No accidents since."

Still one of Toyota's best!

By on Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Pros: "Reliable, great MPG, fits in compact spaces"

Cons: "Lightweight and probably not safe in an accident"

"I couldn't ask for a better little A to B commuter car! Its the most reliable, fuel efficient vehicle I have ever owned by far. Everything works like it should and it has never once let me down. My only concern is safety since its so lightweight. It does come with duel airbags so you might walk away from a crash unharmed but the car will totaled."

Best car for the price!

By on Sunday, April 15, 2012

Pros: "great fuel economy, fantastic reliability"

Cons: "small for more than 3 people"

"I own this car and have over 220,000 km on it. Other than regular service (oil, tires, brakes, muffler) I have not fixed or replaced a single major component. In fact, even most of the bulbs are still original. The car is somewhat small for four large people (back seat is small) but is an ideal commuter car for 1 or 2 people. I still get 500 km per tank of gas!"