1997 Toyota Corolla

Based on 442 Ratings for the 1993 - 1997 models.

Great first car

By on Tuesday, October 08, 2013

Pros: "great gas mileage, AC and heat work after 18 years"

Cons: "Not very powerful, light car"

"Great first car for any new driver! Not very powerful, but one of the most reliable cars on the road"

Best vehile ever with no problems

By on Sunday, June 30, 2013

Pros: "great on gas, everthing still works"

"I bought this car in 2000 with 96000mi.I have 214000 Mi on it now. I have replaced one half shaft, starter, and alternator and all schedule maintenance. Best car ever. I would recommend this car to anyone. Good for a first car."

Best vehicle!

By on Wednesday, July 29, 2009

"I bought my '97 Corolla in August, 1998; it had 21000 miles on it. After 11 years, this vehicle has over 325,500 miles. Same transmission, same engine - only the usual replacement parts that any car needs over time. Recently I have had to drive this car all day (540 miles) for family emergencies, and she has never failed me. I commute 80+ miles daily, and I consistently get 33-35 mpg on the highway. The paint is chipping in places, but as Guy Clark sings, this Toyota is "the kind of stuff you reach for" that never lets you down. I'm sold on Toyotas. If this one ever shows signs of abreakdown, I'm buying another! But it will be hard to budget for a car payment when I haven't needed one for 7 years."

long term value on moderate investment

By on Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Pros: "great gas milage, cheap to own"

Cons: "getting up there in years and milage"

"Purchased in 2006 (14 years old then) with 170,000 miles for $2,000. Still running in 2014 with 260,000 miles. Reliable around town car, great for teenage son getting to school, sports, work and friends, with lots of room for extra stuff (sports equipment) in the back. Still use it for hauling larger stuff from the hardware and garden stores. Engine and transmission running very good, body deteriorating in wheel wells and under door frames. No excessive rattling, vibrating or leaking beyond what you would expect with a car of this age. Average around 28 to 33 mpg in suburb/rural and highway driving."

best deal

By on Saturday, November 02, 2013

Pros: "fun to drive, excellent response, easy to park"

Cons: "no interval wipers, no cruise control"

"I bought this car in 2004. My brother said it wouldn't last and I paid too much for it ($8000). I've only had to do a few repairs such as brakes, oil pan gasket and head gasket. This car has never let me down, never left me stranded. Since I'm only 5'2", this car is the perfect size for me. The body is still in pretty good condition with minimal rust. It's not the car for everyone; my husband calls it 'the go-cart' but I love it! I'm going to be trading it in on a slightly larger car, that he can enjoy driving as well and I'll be sad to see it go. I expect to see it driving around town for a long time to come. Great little car!"