2012 Toyota Camry

Based on 209 Ratings for the 2012 - 2014 models.

Failed to keep up with competition, Accord Wins!

By on Thursday, September 11, 2014

Pros: "Brand Names that's it"

Cons: "Bad OEM Tires wear out in 20k miles, Dated Dash"

"While the 2012 body design was very refreshing compared to the previous years, I did find that it has many shortcomings both in the interior and exterior when compared to the competition. Some of the shortcomings still continue in 2013,2014, 2014.5 and 2015 model Car Interior Issues: 1) Biggest flaw is the foul odor from the A/C vents. Due to poor design water gets trapped and new car starts smelling of mild dew. You can never run the A/C on recirculate. 2) The car has a single warning light for any door, trunk or hood being ajar. Most modern day car specifically tells you what is open and just blink a single light. 3) The cruise control is not on the steering. It’s a pain to play with the little stick to put the car on speed and then accelerate, decelerate or resume 4) The voice control is on the right side of the steering and the menu/music/volume control is on the left hand side. I use the music/volume and menu more than the voice control so I would prefer it to be on the right side. 5) The dials look archaic; most of the useful info is still analog like speed, torque and fuel. 6) The analog dials don’t have the goodies like sports white illumination or the reflective dot that falls on the chrome ring around the dial making it easy to read the speed. 7) No digital speedo 8) The information is scattered like you have the trips meters in a small screen beside the dials but to see the distance to empty you have to press buttons and go through a couple of menus in the radio display. 9) Does not show information like oil life, headlight error which I could find in much older cars. 10) The menu buttons don’t work consistently for the build in audio and navigation system forcing you to take your hands off from the steering and fiddle with the buttons beside the touch screen or go through several layers of menu in the touch screen. 11) Navigation system fatal flaw you pay $1200 extra for it but you don’t get any update. Each time map update is $169 + tax. 12) The navigation system asks for the Zip code first, half of the times I don’t know the zip code of the place. So I have to google and find out before I can enter the address on the navigation system. 13) The 2012 models shows the tire pressure but there is no way to tell what pressure corresponds to which tire as there is no labels and the order of display changes randomly. Apparently they took it away in 2013 and 2014 models. I feel the instrument cluster is very poorly designed and does not feel like it is a 2012,213 or 2014 car at all. It’s a joke. Exterior Issues: 1) Way too much chrome on the front grill, on the fog lights. Can you imagine you can’t see the Toyota logo as it’s hidden with the overdose of chrome in the nose grill. Somehow the SE model was spared from this obnoxious ghetto looks. 2) The headlights are neither HID not LED. Old yellow halogens with poor design in the reflectors making it hard to drive in road which does not have street lamps. The fog lights are joke too. 3) Over dose of chrome on the front grill but no chrome on door handles or trunk lid handle. 4) The parking lights don’t get on when unlocking the car only the map lights turn on. 5) Only the driver’s seat window is auto, rest 3 windows needs to be held till opens or closed fully. 6) You can lock the car with the windows rolled down and it won’t even beep to let you know that you have something wrong. Engine and Transmission: 1) For a 4 cylinder 2.5 liter engine not so good fuel economy for city driving can go as low as 12 mpg and average around 18 mpg. Highway average is good around 30 to 35 mpg. 2) Lower horsepower compared to Honda Accord or Nissan Altima so can feel sluggish if you have the 4 cylinder. Dealership and Car Buying Issues: 1) Probably Toyota dealers are the worst when it comes to the experience. Most of them are very arrogant and seem like they are doing us a favor by selling the car. This is one of the sole reasons I will stay away from Toyota. 2) Goes around too much before talking money 3) Almost impossible to buy a car without unnecessarily dealer installed marked up accessories like pinstripes, tint, door edge guard, mats etc. (Dealers try to charge you $800 for tint, $300 for pin stripe, $300 for door edge guard, $400 for trunk mat so ridiculous) The only reason I bought the 2012 Camry in Aug 2012 was because I need a reliable ride under $30,000 and even though I wanted the Accord the new refreshed 2013 model was not out until Nov 2012. I test drove several other cars like Sonata and Passat but came down to the Camry and Accord."

One of the best cars I've ever had

By on Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Pros: "Quality, gas mileage, looks"

Cons: "None really, unless you don't like sedans"

"The only way the Camry LE could be any better would be if it were the luxury model with Leather interiors and could get the milage of the Prius. I had no idea what a solid, comfortable car I was getting when I down-priced myself out of my Prius and into the Camry to pay down my debt. Couldn't have made a better decision. The gas mileage in the low to mid 30s on highway and high 20s in the city - and I have a lead foot. Comfort/sound level is amazing - drive is smooth and quiet (but I do have the better glass), and the sound system is every bit as good as the Bose system in my girlfriend's car. SPACE IS GREAT! I can easily sit 5 and trunk room is plenty for a trip. Simply put - one of the best cars I've seen. Not exactly a cool, sports vehicle, but it holds its own on looks, performance and quality. 5 stars."

Good car

By on Tuesday, September 09, 2014

Pros: "Easy to drive."

Cons: "Not enough go."

"Reliable car. Little offered for additional performance. Be nice if supercharger was available. Six cylinder motor is peppy but, needs more horses to run with big boys. Nice daily driver does not seem to be designed for long trips."

great mpg

By on Tuesday, September 02, 2014

Cons: "needs a power outlet in back."

"The Camry SE is great on gas mileage (38-40 on trips)Good power with a 4 cyl. Will buy another one in 2015 if they will deal. Hope the new one will get even better mileage. The comfort of the seats are good. Have driven 10 hours ,without any discomfort."

1,000 miles and not thrilled (yet)

By on Friday, August 22, 2014

Pros: "Sporty, reliable"

Cons: "lacking storage, not as good on gas as expected"

"So my review is based on trading in my 2007 Camry which I really loved. Only traded it for the 2014 model because I was going to need a bunch of standard work on the car (tires, brakes, shocks, etc...136,000 miles and never had the shocks done...never needed it until recently!) and I thought I'd use that money to invest in the new car. There are some real misses in the 2014. Transmission: Is it me or does anyone else find the transmission a bit clunky? The "eco" mode is odd and feels like it's shifting into another gear. Gas mileage - the car tracks this for you and so far, even though I commute via highway every day, I have yet to get my 35 mpg. This is very disappointing. Bluetooth - haven't used it much more than making calls because it's really not working right in maps/navigation mode. Not sure if that's my phone or the car. Need to read/research more. Storage - compared to my 2007 camry, the storage is gone! The glove box is tiny, the small but convenient storage pockets next to center console (perfect for a tire pressure gage or an ipod) are gone. The center console storage is much smaller than past models, and the car is missing the build-in trunk storage (just a small, plastic cut out into the floor of the trunk in my 2007 model) that was perfect for keeping small tools and a flashlight from rolling around. I'm glad I kept my cargo net from my old camry. Also, the storage behind the front seats is just a little pocket. In my 2007 camry it was a roomy pull out pocket with fantastic space for anything, including umbrellas. The pockets used to have a little expander on the sides, and now it's just a cheap pocket. There is an improved storage add in this mode: all 4 doors have an area for water bottle storage. Seating - I haven't sat in the back but the front seats are just not as nice as in the past. Feels cheap, like an airline seat. Takes forever to get the lumbar and other controls right. The back seats have a built-in, non adjustable headrest...again, a cheap shortcut."

Too much road noise

By on Tuesday, August 19, 2014

"Road noise is excessive. Has good feel, easily controlled, great power. Would give it even higher rating if road noise could be reduced. I had bottom sprayed with noise barrier product, but reduction was barely audible. My 2004 Avalon was dead quiet."

A sleeper car. V6 is pretty quick.

By on Sunday, August 03, 2014

Pros: "Good performance"

Cons: "Comfortable go kart."

"Not touring car but excellent daily driver. Can handle traffic with any car or truck. Good on tollways with faster speed limits."

drives nice but poor ergonomics & entune disaster

By on Sunday, August 03, 2014

Pros: "Fast but efficient car"

Cons: "interior design and Entune"

"The car does drive nicely -- it has an excellent combination of power while maintaining good fuel economy. When you turn off "eco mode" it accelerates quickly. the trunk pass through is nice despite batteries being back there. However, at this level of car and this price tag I expect more than a basic experience. The ergonomics throughout are bad to terrible. The switches one would use while driving are mounted in the center where one has to take eyes off road to use. The switches not normally used such as the blind spot monitor (which works well) are next to the steering wheel. It display an eco mode indicator on the dash even though as a hybrid you bought it for fuel efficiency and usually have it in that mode. Thus, Toyota should consider eco mode the normal mode of operation and 'power' mode (not operating in eco mode) to be worthy of an indicator. Toyota has no lock on the trunk release switch so you cannot lock anything in your trunk. all you have to do is bust a window of any such vehicle and you have full access to the trunk, no tools needed. This defeats the point of secure storage in the trunk. Now we get to the real sore spot, "Entune". Mine has already required repair as the voice command crashed the whole system. radio, map, everything. Even after they "fixed" it the voice command often takes 20+ seconds to load, not counting the 2 to 5 minutes initialization time when starting the car. It cannot function @ at during calls while you are supposed to be able to tell it to send touch tones (such as automated systems that call you back and say "press 1 to continue"). It cannot understand a lot of what is clearly said. The map hard to move around and find alternate routes to traffic jams. Car navigation is nice even with smartphones because its in front of you, does not rely upon cell networks, bigger screen, etc. but this defeats most of that. It is definitely a disappointment."

nice car

By on Saturday, August 02, 2014

"love it"

Solid car

By on Friday, August 01, 2014

Pros: "Price, features, low operating cost, good mileage"

Cons: "slightly smallish driver's area"

"We have had this car for about 1-1/2 years and have had zero problems with it. The engine is strong, acceleration is quick, steering is very responsive, maintenance is inexpensive and user-friendly, parts are readily available and overall, it's one of the best cars we've ever owned."