2001 Toyota Camry

Based on 1062 Ratings for the 1997 - 2001 models.

Best car I have owned in my 65 years of driving!!!

By on Saturday, January 11, 2014

Pros: "I am 6'3" it's very comfortable on long trips"

Cons: "None for me"

"I bought the car used and have been very surprised at the quality of the Camry. I have driven the car 4 years. The only things I have had done to it were at 180000 miles there was a small oil leak from the oil pump seal, a $150 repair. At 201000 miles I had the timing belt replaced for $180. The car is very reliable. I drive it to Las Vegas from San Diego without a second thought as to reliability. I average 16 mpg in city driving and 30+mpg on the hiway. I have owned 5 Fords,3 Chevrolets,1 Lincoln,2 Mercurys, 2 Buicks, 2 Oldsmobiles, 1 Cadillac, 2 VW's,1 Citroen and 2 Triumphs. I think that is enough cars to compare and make the statement "It's the best car I have owned in 65 years of driving"."

517000 and still going strong!

By on Monday, May 20, 2013

Pros: "Extremely dependable, overall great car"

Cons: "Minor issues with check engine light"

"I purchased my 98 Camry with 48k on it in 2001 and now with 517K. I Stay on top of oil changes and regular maintenance and it still has original engine. Starts up great and has yet to fail me. Best car I have owned. Plan on getting to 600k or even 750K.. unless the wheels fall off before then :)"

DieHard Camry

By on Saturday, January 31, 2009

"I purchased my 97 Camry in 2006 and the only problem I ever had with it was a bad O2 sensor. I bought it with around 155,000 miles on it and just recently broke the 200,000 mile mark. The only reason why I am getting rid of it is because it was totaled by the insurance company (not my fault) and I am getting ready to purchase a 2001 Camry. By the way this car was purchased with a salvage title (which means it was totaled once before and rebuilt) I never thought I would drive a Toyota, now I don't think that I won't drive one."

The Best

By on Saturday, May 21, 2016

Pros: "If you like value, buy this car."

Cons: "The interior is surprisingly plain."

"I bought this car (LE V6) used, for my kids when they were in high school. It had approximately 89,000 miles on it in about 2004. I now have just under 440,000 miles on it, (yes, I drive a lot). Virtually everything in this car is original..engine, transmission, radiator, suspension, exhaust. I'm not sure the valve cover has even been off. I have never changed the timing belt! I haven't had a single costly repair. It broke my heart when I put a dent in the left front. The seats are still firm and upholstery untorn anywhere. It starts every time, right away, except for once when the battery needed replacing. I get oil changes every 5k miles or so from my regular mechanic. I could drive a fancier car, but I still think this a nice looking car, and it drives almost as good as it did when I bought it. The V6 is a great engine! I wouldn't hesitate to take it on any long extended road trip. I adore this car!!"

Best of the best!! Everything is original

By on Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Pros: "Very dependable, smooth ride, engine stills hums"

Cons: "Clear coat does not last as long as it should"

"Very dependable car!! Everything is original in this vehicle with over 353,000 miles, I still drive this car out of town!! Go Toyota!! I am looking to buy another, but will probably still keep this one. This is my 3rd Camry. ( I still have my 1989 Camry as well)"

This is a reliable and well performing vehicle

By on Thursday, August 23, 2007

"My 97' Toyota Camry has given me great satisfaction. At one hundred-fourty thousand miles the Camry still sounds, looks, and performes very well. The glossy paint coating is the only thing that has been weathered a bit. Other than that, I cannot complain."

Seriously, love this car!

By on Monday, March 30, 2015

Pros: "Low price, great quality, smooth ride"

"This car is amazing. I have never had any serious issues with it. It was my first car and it is still going strong. These cars are so reliable. I would highly recommend them for someones first car. You can always count on them! I would recommend an older model of this car, mine is the 1999, because I knew someone with a brand new one back in 2012 and they had driven my car and compared it to theirs, mine was better because it was better in snow, felt cozier, and it was easier to drive. Unless you can actually afford a brand new 2015, I would go with an older model."

Best car I have ever had!

By on Monday, February 4, 2013

Pros: "Great car, good mpg, and reliable."

Cons: "cheap interior"

"With over 300,000 miles, I have only had about 1200 in repairs. I wish they had put a little more thought into the interior, but it's still a comfortable and easy car to drive."

Fantastic Value, 296K miles, incredibly reliable.

By on Monday, May 2, 2016

Pros: "Reliability, Price ($18.8K new), MPG, Handling"

Cons: "Power (4cyl), flimsy rear cup holders."

"The '97 camry 4-cyl LE isn't a hotrod, but for 20 years it's provided amazingly reliable transportation. Good mpg, and I like the ride - comfortable, & very secure. I've had to avoid my share of random out-of-nowhere obstacles on the highway, and it handles great. I had an oil pan leak early on, covered under warranty, then 15 years of nothing but standard maintenance. In the last few years I've had to replace the distributor points, radiator, right front axle and boot. Oh yeah, I replaced the headlights myself last winter just because the plastic had yellowed. The A/C finally bought the farm last year, and the clear coat started peeling a year ago. However, the transmission is still smooth as ever, & the engine purrs like it's brand new. With some TLC I bet it could go another 10 years or more, but I'm ready to upgrade once I hit the magic 300K."

Quality Reliability = High Value | Enough Said

By on Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Pros: "Quality Reliability = High Value | Enough Said"

"After 189,000 miles, my 2000 Camry is the most reliable vehicle I've ever had. We've replaced the brakes and tires and used full synthetic oil - so not a lot of maintenance costs. We've had many good memories in the Camry - from celebrating volleyball"

Impressive

By on Saturday, February 11, 2012

Pros: "Great on gas, lots of cargo room, and very comfy"

Cons: "wow I seriously just sat here for a minute. none"

"I originally purchased this car as my commuter. It now is my main source of transportation. I have owned several very nice cars including two brand new off the lot. I have never purchased such an inexpensive vehicle (because of age and miles (about$3000)) and was scared to do so. After driving it to LA (2,000 miles one way) and back for my cruise, I knew it would last me a while. It now has about 227,000 and I am confident it will go to 300,000. It runs smooth and every time a passenger asks how many miles it has on it, I physical have to show them because they do not believe me (in part because you can eat off my floors ). This car comes to you with my highest recommendation!"

Great Vehicle

By on Sunday, January 11, 2009

"Bought this vehicle at auction as a "filler" car until I could find something better. Bought with lots of miles (260K), cheap, had to do a few maintenance things when I first bought it, since I didn't know anything about it (timing belt, some seals, and an half shaft) - other than tires, a battery and oil changes, it hasn't needed anything but regular maintenance and gas. I drive it over 500 miles a week, great commute car. It now has over 325K miles on it - still going strong, starts every time and still gets 29 MPG (4 cyl). I bought it as a filler, but it just won't die. Heat is hot, air will keep beef cold, even in Oklahoma summers. I'm afraid I may own it forever, can't seem to kill it and no one wants it because of the miles, but I would trust it to drive anywhere. I drove it to Houston last summer, no problems and over 31 MPG. We will likely buy another one for my wife in the future."

Highly reliable, comfortable and robust

By on Saturday, June 22, 2013

Pros: "Quiet ride; comfortable; ultra reliable; safe"

Cons: "Some repair parts are getting expensive in Europe"

"I bought this car used with about 20000 miles. Initially, there were some problems with the rattling noise in the front Suspension, after having replaced the struts it disappeared. Highly reliable car. I have the European model with 2.2 l engine, manual Transmission. In Europe standard equipment was automatic climate control, power steering, 4 power Windows, power central door lock, Audio System with 4 loudspeakers and power antenna, 4 air bags, fog lights and ABS. Mine has in addition a 6-cd-changer. All electric equipment is still working perfectly well. Also the engine never failed; I still have the first transmission, the first exhaust pipe(!!) and the first catalytic converter. In Germany we do not have Speed Limit; the Camry is quite rare here (this model has been sold only about 5000 times in Germany) and hardly anybody knows it. I know it is mainly built for cruising, but the engine and the Suspension also allow going on a faster ride. My car is still running fine and reaches its top speed of 200 km/h (125 mph)very easily, sometimes exceedng it. No severe oil consumption. Many friends are still amazed about the quiet engine and quiet ride and want to know whether it is a 6-cylinder model. So far no corrosion is visible. My car always has passed the German obligatory technical revision every 2 years. It definitely gives me no reason to look for something else."

277,000K RUNNING LIKE NEW!

By on Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Pros: "very dependable and durable"

Cons: "not very luxury-minded."

"I put in about 25,000 miles per year, original owner, now 277,000 with just basic maintenence! Better now than most other makes when new! 277,000 and just getting started!"

excellent auto

By on Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Pros: "great price,and fun to drive"

"the most realiable auto I've ever owned,and would buy another Toyota Camry again in an instant(if I needed to) I would recommend this type of car to any young family who are looking to buy."

Great car to buy and keep long after its paid off

By on Friday, September 21, 2012

Pros: "Dependable and low maintance cost"

Cons: "Maintance is a must on oil seals."

"I bought this car with 6 miles. I have put 190,000 miles over the last 14 years. I have had no problems with the car. It is dependable and has always got me where I needed to be. The only work I put in the car was what was required under the maintance guide. The car handles well on wet and snowy roads. It is a little sluggish with the acceleration but it is a 4 cyl and I am more about quality over speed. I am sold on the dependability of the Camry and it is worth every penny if you are looking to buy and keep the car."

Excellent Vehicle

By on Wednesday, August 29, 2007

"I bought my used 2000 Toyota Camry Ce in 2002 with 15000 miles. It is a excellent car. Obviously it is not built for superb speed like an Infiniti G37 or luxury like Bentlys, but my Camry is an excellent car for it's price. I just do all my scheduled maintenance and it runs fine. Also if you know how to use the horse power it does provide (stopping and accelerating at the correct times) your passengers might start doubting it has only 133 horse power like mine do. I have 67000 miles on my car now and I heard it normally goes to 300000+. My only complaint would be the rear cup holder is quite fragile and was broken since I purchased my used Camry."

Extremely reliable car.

By on Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Pros: "Reliable, Low cost to maintain, lots of storage."

"I bought my 99 Camry in 2007 with 134k on it. I have since put almost 120k on it. In Non-scheduled maintenance I have put less than $300 into the car. I have driven this car in extreme conditions from mountain dirt roads to sliding on ice and snow in Missouri, it definitely shows its age from use, but mechanically it is still in great shape"

Excellent

By on Saturday, February 1, 2014

Pros: "Reliability, good gas mileage"

Cons: "Cant think of any"

"Best car I've ever had by far. I've only had one problem other than regular wear and tear type maintenance. Had to have the EGR vacuum switching valve replaced when the Check engine light came on. Other than that, only had the brake pads replaced once and regular oil changes and tires are all i've had to do to it. Wayyy better than any vehicle i've had in the past. Only car i've had with such few problems. I plan on driving it a few more years to at least 200k."

The best car I have ever owned

By on Monday, January 27, 2014

"This is the best car I have ever owned. I will never own anything other than a Toyota Camry in the future. Extremely reliable and everything you could want in a car!!"

very good car

By on Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Pros: "quick to start & stop even in deep snow"

Cons: "leather package was installed at dealer not good"

"regular service, driven pretty hard, mom is hard on stop and go, replaced a head light, battery, never been stranded, wood buy a new 1 but this 1 is still awsome"

Excellent car!!!!!

By on Thursday, January 10, 2013

Pros: "Exellent value, built to last, great price,"

Cons: "nothing I can think of."

"We bought this car brand new back in December 1997 with the odometer read 3 miles on it. As of today it read 204995 miles on the odometer (1/10/2013) We did a timing belt changed twice. Oil changed every 3-6 mos, drove cross country and back, from Kansas to Oklahoma, to Oregon, back to KS then to Florida then back to KS again. It was a great car for us and also was a great first car for our son. Sadly, we may have to part with it as he got hit from behind and it may have to be total. The car still running great, and would have probably last us a few more years. A wonderful car, too bad they don't make it like it used to be."

Love this car - easy to drive - great acceleration

By on Thursday, April 5, 2012

Pros: "Very comfortable and easy to drive."

Cons: "Price"

"Bought this car new and love it. It handles well, is comfortable, and has good acceleration. It still looks sharp, too. The only problems I have had in 13 years are: batteries, replaced the alternator once and replaced the driver side window motor. I have kept the oil changed religiously more often at 3000 miles than the Toyota recommended 5000."

Old Faithful

By on Thursday, September 22, 2011

Pros: "Great on gas, low maintenance"

Cons: "Transmission acts weird after 190,000 miles"

"With regular maintenance and a little TLC, this was the best vehicle I've ever owned in terms of reliability. Great on gas and performed well in all situations."

Toyota does it again

By on Friday, January 9, 2009

"My first car ever was an Acura Integra. I went searching for my next car hoping to find a Honda when I spotted a 1996 Toyota Corolla. Not only was the Corolla better looking then the Honda's I looked at but it had less mileage and cost less. I decided to buy the Corolla and boy was I impressed. I thought my Acura was a good car but that was before I bought a Toyota. Toyota's make Honda's look like over-priced junk. Anyway, after over 230,000 miles on an automatic transmission and never giving me any problems I decided to sell my Corolla and look for a larger Camry. I bought the Camry about 6 months ago used and it continues to impress me. I live in the mountains and commute up and down to the flat lands so it gets much more wear than a normal car would. The Camry is such a fancy car that makes you feel like you are driving a very expensive car. It rides like no other car I have ever been in, it is quiet and smooth while performing awesome. My husband is a mechanic and former "Chevy guy" and swears he will buy nothing anymore but a Toyota. I average about 28MPG mountain and some city driving which is pretty good considering I don't really drive highway miles that much. Pretty much everyone that rides in my car is impressed about how nice it is. The best thing about the car is that I have peace of mind that I know this car will at least last the 230,000 miles my Corolla did. One of the things that I really enjoy about my Camry is the quiet and smooth ride while having so much power with great MPG. Another thing that appreciate about Toyota's is that they don't look cheap. I have noticed many brand new cars such as Jeeps etc. that just look cheap and very plastic. My Camry is 9 years old and it looks better and more expensive than many of the new cars on the road. Also, I must say that with my Corolla I was so impressed by the little things like how well the carpet and seats wore. These cars are truly about quality both in and out and I am proud to say that I will NEVER buy anything but a Toyota."