2001 Toyota Camry

Based on 1043 Ratings for the 1997 - 2001 models.

Great Great Car

By on Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Pros: "Everything"

Cons: "No flaws about this car"

"My mom originally bought this car in 2001 or 2002 and it never gave her any problems... Since then she has purchased a new car and passed this car down to me and ive never had any problems out of it... I drive to south carolina (2 hours each way) twice a month and only problem ive had out of this car was the power steering pump went out once... Other than that NO issues at all... I tell my friends how many miles i have on it and they dont want to ride with me in fear of a breakdown but ive seen them go through many vehicles and ive been the only one with the same car...Plus my particular camry got around 32 mpg on the highway and i averaged around 575 miles on a tank... I would fill up once every two weeks while friends would be filling up twice a week or once a week... Plus im 6 foot 9 and im able to fit in the car just fine... Car was hit a couple of days ago and it was deemed "totaled" by insurance so me and the car have to part ways, but i honestly dont think i will ever have another car just as reliable..."

My favorite car

By on Monday, February 11, 2008

"I have owned only three cars in my lifetime (I'm approaching 50), and all three have been Toyotas. I purchased my Camry (vehicle #3) in 1999, with 16,000 miles on it--one of those "program vehicles." I now have over 195,500 miles on it with no major repairs, just maintenance, tires and the necessary replacements like timing belts, brakes, etc. Just this fall I had to replace the battery (only the second one in it), but other than that, it has been such a sweet car. I call it Gypsy, because we've been so many miles down the road together. My favorite part of the car is its cavernous TRUNK! I am continually impressed with what will fit into that space and it's fun to impress people with its capacity. I hope it will continue to serve me for a long time to come. Besides, having no car payments is worth it!"

Best car ever!

By on Sunday, January 18, 2015

Pros: "This baby goes forever"

Cons: "No reason to ever replace it"

"Everyone that knows me, knows how much I love my car. I have had the oil changed as recommended, rotated tires and had the proper maintenance done at the proper times. This car is and has been such a reliable car. As a single woman, I have driven from Missouri to Georgia then on to Florida a number of times alone. Never have I felt unsafe or worried that my car was unable to make the trip. I have sang the praises of my Toyota for years. The only problem I have ever encountered is that it sits pretty low to the ground. I recommend the Camry and can't say enough good things about it, this year my car is old enough to drive!"

Great bang for your buck

By on Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Pros: "Great on gas, reliable, convenient"

Cons: "Body doesn't last as long as engine"

"I bought the vehicle in 2011 with 250,000 KM. I have only had to change the fluids, the timing belt, and the brakes. The suspension has gone on it, bottoms out very easily and I haven't had the opportunity to get it repaired. The exhaust hangs low on the car, causing it to scrape on the ground when the car bottoms out. I have replaced the speakers and the stereo with a modern sound system. The electronics on the car (sun roof, windows, locks, driver seat) all work fine. Great on gas, 65 - 70 liters of gas lasts approximately 600 KM in the city and 700 KM on the highway. I had a flat tire the other day and was very surprised to find a full size spare in my trunk, (not sure if it came stock or the previous owner had left it there). The car handles well despite the suspension issues, and highway driving is very smooth, plenty of passing power even for a 2.2 4 cylinder. The engine runs great, it has started in -30 degree Celsius weather unplugged without a hiccup. The body is starting to rust, the clear coat is chipping off the roof, small cosmetic"

Best car I have owned in my 65 years of driving!!!

By on Saturday, January 11, 2014

Pros: "I am 6'3" it's very comfortable on long trips"

Cons: "None for me"

"I bought the car used and have been very surprised at the quality of the Camry. I have driven the car 4 years. The only things I have had done to it were at 180000 miles there was a small oil leak from the oil pump seal, a $150 repair. At 201000 miles I had the timing belt replaced for $180. The car is very reliable. I drive it to Las Vegas from San Diego without a second thought as to reliability. I average 16 mpg in city driving and 30+mpg on the hiway. I have owned 5 Fords,3 Chevrolets,1 Lincoln,2 Mercurys, 2 Buicks, 2 Oldsmobiles, 1 Cadillac, 2 VW's,1 Citroen and 2 Triumphs. I think that is enough cars to compare and make the statement "It's the best car I have owned in 65 years of driving"."

Faithful and Indestructible Camry

By on Saturday, September 07, 2013

Pros: "Dependable, GREAT value, easy-ish to work on"

Cons: "NO acceleration to speak of(fixed in newer models)"

Running with the Big Boys on the mountain trails of Utah. Did I mention I was leading the pack?

"I bought my Camry in 2008 at 117k miles, and I have not had a single issue yet. I do all the mechanic work myself and have only ever had to do maintenance work (tires, brakes, oil, etc.) This car has gotten me across the country multiple times, driven day-to-day, and has not been babied. I have been ran off the road by a semi, gone mudding twice (stuck once[got farther than a Dodge Ram] and pulled out by a Toyota truck), and gone off-roading on mountain trails in Utah that were meant for ATV's and 4x4 vehicles(see picture). I say all this to say that neither have I had a single issue with my car through day-to-day driving in highschool, college, and career, nor have I had an issue in the "Extra-curricular" driving through the years. I look forward to breaking 300k on this car and intend to put it out in style."

517000 and still going strong!

By on Monday, May 20, 2013

Pros: "Extremely dependable, overall great car"

Cons: "Minor issues with check engine light"

"I purchased my 98 Camry with 48k on it in 2001 and now with 517K. I Stay on top of oil changes and regular maintenance and it still has original engine. Starts up great and has yet to fail me. Best car I have owned. Plan on getting to 600k or even 750K.. unless the wheels fall off before then :)"

Best car I have ever had!

By on Monday, February 04, 2013

Pros: "Great car, good mpg, and reliable."

Cons: "cheap interior"

"With over 300,000 miles, I have only had about 1200 in repairs. I wish they had put a little more thought into the interior, but it's still a comfortable and easy car to drive."

DieHard Camry

By on Saturday, January 31, 2009

"I purchased my 97 Camry in 2006 and the only problem I ever had with it was a bad O2 sensor. I bought it with around 155,000 miles on it and just recently broke the 200,000 mile mark. The only reason why I am getting rid of it is because it was totaled by the insurance company (not my fault) and I am getting ready to purchase a 2001 Camry. By the way this car was purchased with a salvage title (which means it was totaled once before and rebuilt) I never thought I would drive a Toyota, now I don't think that I won't drive one."

A Truly Great Car

By on Monday, January 27, 2014

Pros: "Could possibly last forever"

"My parents drove my mother's 2001 Toyota Camry from Kentucky to California back in the summer of 2008 and left it for me as a gift (they flew back home to Kentucky). What a gift! The 2001 Toyota Camry has been the best car I've ever owned. When I received the car from my parents, it had about 70,000 miles on it. I've put over 80,000 more miles since 2008. The only repairs I've dealt with: I replaced the timing belt at around 130,000 miles (first time it ever needed replaced), and got some new tires put on it a couple years ago. I also had the motor on the driver's side door window replaced (the window went down, but not back up, so I had to get that fixed). What's amazing is the air conditioning still works at 150,000 miles and I live in Southern California and use the A/C about every day. I'm also 6'3 in height and there's plenty of leg room. The CD player still works great and has great sound. I'd recommend this car to anyone if you can find it. Great gas milage too, and I love the look of the vehicle."

A fine car

By on Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Pros: "Super reliable and very comfortable to drive."

Cons: "Cheap plastic, two outside door handles broke off!"

"Extremely reliable. I purchased this vehicle in 2007 (with some nervousness) with 114,600 miles already on it, but the previous owner had changed the timing belt and put in new struts. plus the dealership did other things. It was an excellent, excellent $5,000 car. It just gave up the ghost recently, after I drove it for an 100K miles in 6-1/2 years. It rarely needed work, and the engine still runs well, although is using oil. Over its second life (114 to 215K) I only had to put in new front struts, a wheel bearing, replace the starter and of course keep up with brakes and oil chamges, and replace the exhaust thanks to wintery ice and road salt. - Normal things, and it was an old car to begin with! Extremely reliable vehicle: I was only caught out one time when the starter failed and then the AAA man made it work by striking the starter, so I was not really stranded. Comfortable to drive. If you find one well maintained, it would be worth considering."

Quality Reliability = High Value | Enough Said

By on Wednesday, July 04, 2012

Pros: "Quality Reliability = High Value | Enough Said"

"After 189,000 miles, my 2000 Camry is the most reliable vehicle I've ever had. We've replaced the brakes and tires and used full synthetic oil - so not a lot of maintenance costs. We've had many good memories in the Camry - from celebrating volleyball"

Impressive

By on Saturday, February 11, 2012

Pros: "Great on gas, lots of cargo room, and very comfy"

Cons: "wow I seriously just sat here for a minute. none"

"I originally purchased this car as my commuter. It now is my main source of transportation. I have owned several very nice cars including two brand new off the lot. I have never purchased such an inexpensive vehicle (because of age and miles (about$3000)) and was scared to do so. After driving it to LA (2,000 miles one way) and back for my cruise, I knew it would last me a while. It now has about 227,000 and I am confident it will go to 300,000. It runs smooth and every time a passenger asks how many miles it has on it, I physical have to show them because they do not believe me (in part because you can eat off my floors ). This car comes to you with my highest recommendation!"

This is a reliable and well performing vehicle

By on Thursday, August 23, 2007

"My 97' Toyota Camry has given me great satisfaction. At one hundred-fourty thousand miles the Camry still sounds, looks, and performes very well. The glossy paint coating is the only thing that has been weathered a bit. Other than that, I cannot complain."

Highly reliable, comfortable and robust

By on Saturday, June 22, 2013

Pros: "Quiet ride; comfortable; ultra reliable; safe"

Cons: "Some repair parts are getting expensive in Europe"

"I bought this car used with about 20000 miles. Initially, there were some problems with the rattling noise in the front Suspension, after having replaced the struts it disappeared. Highly reliable car. I have the European model with 2.2 l engine, manual Transmission. In Europe standard equipment was automatic climate control, power steering, 4 power Windows, power central door lock, Audio System with 4 loudspeakers and power antenna, 4 air bags, fog lights and ABS. Mine has in addition a 6-cd-changer. All electric equipment is still working perfectly well. Also the engine never failed; I still have the first transmission, the first exhaust pipe(!!) and the first catalytic converter. In Germany we do not have Speed Limit; the Camry is quite rare here (this model has been sold only about 5000 times in Germany) and hardly anybody knows it. I know it is mainly built for cruising, but the engine and the Suspension also allow going on a faster ride. My car is still running fine and reaches its top speed of 200 km/h (125 mph)very easily, sometimes exceedng it. No severe oil consumption. Many friends are still amazed about the quiet engine and quiet ride and want to know whether it is a 6-cylinder model. So far no corrosion is visible. My car always has passed the German obligatory technical revision every 2 years. It definitely gives me no reason to look for something else."

277,000K RUNNING LIKE NEW!

By on Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Pros: "very dependable and durable"

Cons: "not very luxury-minded."

"I put in about 25,000 miles per year, original owner, now 277,000 with just basic maintenence! Better now than most other makes when new! 277,000 and just getting started!"

excellent auto

By on Tuesday, October 02, 2012

Pros: "great price,and fun to drive"

"the most realiable auto I've ever owned,and would buy another Toyota Camry again in an instant(if I needed to) I would recommend this type of car to any young family who are looking to buy."

Great car to buy and keep long after its paid off

By on Friday, September 21, 2012

Pros: "Dependable and low maintance cost"

Cons: "Maintance is a must on oil seals."

"I bought this car with 6 miles. I have put 190,000 miles over the last 14 years. I have had no problems with the car. It is dependable and has always got me where I needed to be. The only work I put in the car was what was required under the maintance guide. The car handles well on wet and snowy roads. It is a little sluggish with the acceleration but it is a 4 cyl and I am more about quality over speed. I am sold on the dependability of the Camry and it is worth every penny if you are looking to buy and keep the car."

Best of the best!! Everything is original

By on Wednesday, April 04, 2012

Pros: "Very dependable, smooth ride, engine stills hums"

Cons: "Clear coat does not last as long as it should"

"Very dependable car!! Everything is original in this vehicle with over 353,000 miles, I still drive this car out of town!! Go Toyota!! I am looking to buy another, but will probably still keep this one. This is my 3rd Camry. ( I still have my 1989 Camry as well)"

We got the lemon

By on Monday, August 23, 2010

"Camry purchased based on longevity, quality and maintenance of high resale value. Vehicle started making noise at 82,000 miles, shortly after expiration of extended warranty (7 yrs/100,000 mi). After extensive diagnostics, were advised that a piston had broken, car was worthless unless engine was replaced, no trade-in value, no sales value. Cost to replace engine over $7500. Car was single-owner, used moderately for 8 years, driven only freeway and city streets maintained regularly, so should have lasted to 150,000 miles or more. Local Toyota service rep stated this should NOT have happened in the circumstances, and made numerous attempts to intercede with Toyota on our behalf. However, Toyota refused any assistance. Toyota service rep indicated only option short of full engine replacement was to drive the car until it died, which it recently did, as it had no resale value. Have lost confidence in Toyota, would not purchase another vehicle from them at this point."

Great Vehicle

By on Sunday, January 11, 2009

"Bought this vehicle at auction as a "filler" car until I could find something better. Bought with lots of miles (260K), cheap, had to do a few maintenance things when I first bought it, since I didn't know anything about it (timing belt, some seals, and an half shaft) - other than tires, a battery and oil changes, it hasn't needed anything but regular maintenance and gas. I drive it over 500 miles a week, great commute car. It now has over 325K miles on it - still going strong, starts every time and still gets 29 MPG (4 cyl). I bought it as a filler, but it just won't die. Heat is hot, air will keep beef cold, even in Oklahoma summers. I'm afraid I may own it forever, can't seem to kill it and no one wants it because of the miles, but I would trust it to drive anywhere. I drove it to Houston last summer, no problems and over 31 MPG. We will likely buy another one for my wife in the future."

Excellent Vehicle

By on Wednesday, August 29, 2007

"I bought my used 2000 Toyota Camry Ce in 2002 with 15000 miles. It is a excellent car. Obviously it is not built for superb speed like an Infiniti G37 or luxury like Bentlys, but my Camry is an excellent car for it's price. I just do all my scheduled maintenance and it runs fine. Also if you know how to use the horse power it does provide (stopping and accelerating at the correct times) your passengers might start doubting it has only 133 horse power like mine do. I have 67000 miles on my car now and I heard it normally goes to 300000+. My only complaint would be the rear cup holder is quite fragile and was broken since I purchased my used Camry."

Seriously, love this car!

By on Monday, March 30, 2015

Pros: "Low price, great quality, smooth ride"

"This car is amazing. I have never had any serious issues with it. It was my first car and it is still going strong. These cars are so reliable. I would highly recommend them for someones first car. You can always count on them! I would recommend an older model of this car, mine is the 1999, because I knew someone with a brand new one back in 2012 and they had driven my car and compared it to theirs, mine was better because it was better in snow, felt cozier, and it was easier to drive. Unless you can actually afford a brand new 2015, I would go with an older model."

Great car. Great shape and care.

By on Saturday, January 24, 2015

Pros: "Outstanding vehicle"

"Car is 1 owner. Garage kept. Low miles. Always serviced. Has TDS theft deterrent system. Gets great milage and is rock solid dependable."

Extremely reliable car.

By on Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Pros: "Reliable, Low cost to maintain, lots of storage."

"I bought my 99 Camry in 2007 with 134k on it. I have since put almost 120k on it. In Non-scheduled maintenance I have put less than $300 into the car. I have driven this car in extreme conditions from mountain dirt roads to sliding on ice and snow in Missouri, it definitely shows its age from use, but mechanically it is still in great shape"