2001 Toyota Camry

Based on 1048 Ratings for the 1997 - 2001 models.

By on Friday, January 30, 2009

smooth

By on Wednesday, January 28, 2009

"had this 98 for 11 years now. very pleased with it. at 41000 miles the transmission went 3 days before the powertrain warranty expired. i was very very upset thinking the worst. i was borderline ready for a strait jacket. but they replaced the trans and the car slowly became my friend again. it's a 2.2 liter and it's smooth and quick and gets excelant gas mileage. 21 in the city and 28 to 34 on the highway. i do my own maintanance and i have to say it's very easy compared to others. had to replace the starter at 70000 and even that was a breeze beings it's up on top.i don't put much miles on so i hope to have it another 11 years. only thing wrong with these cars is the price tag. a little expensive for how little ya get. felt like crying when a friend picked me up in a hyundai sonata that he bought for 5 grand less with the v6,sunroof and cd changer."

By on Monday, January 26, 2009

"Purchased my 99 camry new and just hit 60K. I am mainly pleased with my old buddy, but have had a few ongoing issues, squeaky steering and clutch, pinging in cold weather, a wierd "water" sound when the heat is "wide open", and about to get 3d set of tires. Overall that is not too much to complain about when this car has hauled loads of bricks and gardening materials and 3 large kids and stuff with no particular effort. I hate to consider changing up, as this is the most comfortable driver's seat I have been in in 15 years. I'm 6'1" and not slight, and this car has plenty of room for me."

no problems here

By on Saturday, January 24, 2009

"good motor, good transmition,nice car, low maintenance, average milage per gallon is 26 with aggressive driver"

Good commuter car

By on Saturday, January 24, 2009

"I bought this car in Sept 08 with 158000 miles on it. I've had it for four months and now has 162000 miles on the odometer. The only things the car really needed at time of purchase, were new struts ($1000 for all 4) and a windshield (it was badly pitted). I did however, replace some other things, since I plan on keeping this car for a while. I got 4 new tires, and an alignment. Replaced the timing belt and water pump, but only for preventative maintenance. This car gets 27 MPG in mixed city/HWY driving, with a best of 32 MPG HWY. Things I don't like about the car: Driver's seat is not very comfortable. It's more a "chair" than a seat. Although it's power adjustable, it doesn't seem to help. (I'm an average-sized man at 5'11" and 195 pounds.) The driver's seat belt is slow to retract after use. (A minor issue, not safety related.) The factory CD player skips sometimes. Things I do like about it: Good MPG. Very smooth running drivetrain and, so far very reliable......like all Toyotas, I suppose. Good braking and handling for a 4-door sedan. I feel safe in it. Easy to use and responsive cruise control. Things I'm not so sure of: Boring looks (could be thought of as an "anti-theft" feature!) and since the weather isn't hot yet, I haven't really tested the air conditioner. This is a nice commuter car though, and it really gets the job done. Well done, Toyota!"