2000 Toyota Camry

Based on 1055 Ratings for the 1997 - 2001 models.

We got the lemon

By on Monday, August 23, 2010

"Camry purchased based on longevity, quality and maintenance of high resale value. Vehicle started making noise at 82,000 miles, shortly after expiration of extended warranty (7 yrs/100,000 mi). After extensive diagnostics, were advised that a piston had broken, car was worthless unless engine was replaced, no trade-in value, no sales value. Cost to replace engine over $7500. Car was single-owner, used moderately for 8 years, driven only freeway and city streets maintained regularly, so should have lasted to 150,000 miles or more. Local Toyota service rep stated this should NOT have happened in the circumstances, and made numerous attempts to intercede with Toyota on our behalf. However, Toyota refused any assistance. Toyota service rep indicated only option short of full engine replacement was to drive the car until it died, which it recently did, as it had no resale value. Have lost confidence in Toyota, would not purchase another vehicle from them at this point."

A Truly Great Car

By on Monday, January 27, 2014

Pros: "Could possibly last forever"

"My parents drove my mother's 2001 Toyota Camry from Kentucky to California back in the summer of 2008 and left it for me as a gift (they flew back home to Kentucky). What a gift! The 2001 Toyota Camry has been the best car I've ever owned. When I received the car from my parents, it had about 70,000 miles on it. I've put over 80,000 more miles since 2008. The only repairs I've dealt with: I replaced the timing belt at around 130,000 miles (first time it ever needed replaced), and got some new tires put on it a couple years ago. I also had the motor on the driver's side door window replaced (the window went down, but not back up, so I had to get that fixed). What's amazing is the air conditioning still works at 150,000 miles and I live in Southern California and use the A/C about every day. I'm also 6'3 in height and there's plenty of leg room. The CD player still works great and has great sound. I'd recommend this car to anyone if you can find it. Great gas milage too, and I love the look of the vehicle."

A fine car

By on Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Pros: "Super reliable and very comfortable to drive."

Cons: "Cheap plastic, two outside door handles broke off!"

"Extremely reliable. I purchased this vehicle in 2007 (with some nervousness) with 114,600 miles already on it, but the previous owner had changed the timing belt and put in new struts. plus the dealership did other things. It was an excellent, excellent $5,000 car. It just gave up the ghost recently, after I drove it for an 100K miles in 6-1/2 years. It rarely needed work, and the engine still runs well, although is using oil. Over its second life (114 to 215K) I only had to put in new front struts, a wheel bearing, replace the starter and of course keep up with brakes and oil chamges, and replace the exhaust thanks to wintery ice and road salt. - Normal things, and it was an old car to begin with! Extremely reliable vehicle: I was only caught out one time when the starter failed and then the AAA man made it work by striking the starter, so I was not really stranded. Comfortable to drive. If you find one well maintained, it would be worth considering."

Quality Reliability = High Value | Enough Said

By on Wednesday, July 04, 2012

Pros: "Quality Reliability = High Value | Enough Said"

"After 189,000 miles, my 2000 Camry is the most reliable vehicle I've ever had. We've replaced the brakes and tires and used full synthetic oil - so not a lot of maintenance costs. We've had many good memories in the Camry - from celebrating volleyball"

Impressive

By on Saturday, February 11, 2012

Pros: "Great on gas, lots of cargo room, and very comfy"

Cons: "wow I seriously just sat here for a minute. none"

"I originally purchased this car as my commuter. It now is my main source of transportation. I have owned several very nice cars including two brand new off the lot. I have never purchased such an inexpensive vehicle (because of age and miles (about$3000)) and was scared to do so. After driving it to LA (2,000 miles one way) and back for my cruise, I knew it would last me a while. It now has about 227,000 and I am confident it will go to 300,000. It runs smooth and every time a passenger asks how many miles it has on it, I physical have to show them because they do not believe me (in part because you can eat off my floors ). This car comes to you with my highest recommendation!"