1999 Toyota Camry

Based on 1063 Ratings for the 1997 - 2001 models.

Great Vehicle

By on Sunday, January 11, 2009

"Bought this vehicle at auction as a "filler" car until I could find something better. Bought with lots of miles (260K), cheap, had to do a few maintenance things when I first bought it, since I didn't know anything about it (timing belt, some seals, and an half shaft) - other than tires, a battery and oil changes, it hasn't needed anything but regular maintenance and gas. I drive it over 500 miles a week, great commute car. It now has over 325K miles on it - still going strong, starts every time and still gets 29 MPG (4 cyl). I bought it as a filler, but it just won't die. Heat is hot, air will keep beef cold, even in Oklahoma summers. I'm afraid I may own it forever, can't seem to kill it and no one wants it because of the miles, but I would trust it to drive anywhere. I drove it to Houston last summer, no problems and over 31 MPG. We will likely buy another one for my wife in the future."

Highly reliable, comfortable and robust

By on Saturday, June 22, 2013

Pros: "Quiet ride; comfortable; ultra reliable; safe"

Cons: "Some repair parts are getting expensive in Europe"

"I bought this car used with about 20000 miles. Initially, there were some problems with the rattling noise in the front Suspension, after having replaced the struts it disappeared. Highly reliable car. I have the European model with 2.2 l engine, manual Transmission. In Europe standard equipment was automatic climate control, power steering, 4 power Windows, power central door lock, Audio System with 4 loudspeakers and power antenna, 4 air bags, fog lights and ABS. Mine has in addition a 6-cd-changer. All electric equipment is still working perfectly well. Also the engine never failed; I still have the first transmission, the first exhaust pipe(!!) and the first catalytic converter. In Germany we do not have Speed Limit; the Camry is quite rare here (this model has been sold only about 5000 times in Germany) and hardly anybody knows it. I know it is mainly built for cruising, but the engine and the Suspension also allow going on a faster ride. My car is still running fine and reaches its top speed of 200 km/h (125 mph)very easily, sometimes exceedng it. No severe oil consumption. Many friends are still amazed about the quiet engine and quiet ride and want to know whether it is a 6-cylinder model. So far no corrosion is visible. My car always has passed the German obligatory technical revision every 2 years. It definitely gives me no reason to look for something else."

277,000K RUNNING LIKE NEW!

By on Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Pros: "very dependable and durable"

Cons: "not very luxury-minded."

"I put in about 25,000 miles per year, original owner, now 277,000 with just basic maintenence! Better now than most other makes when new! 277,000 and just getting started!"

excellent auto

By on Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Pros: "great price,and fun to drive"

"the most realiable auto I've ever owned,and would buy another Toyota Camry again in an instant(if I needed to) I would recommend this type of car to any young family who are looking to buy."

Great car to buy and keep long after its paid off

By on Friday, September 21, 2012

Pros: "Dependable and low maintance cost"

Cons: "Maintance is a must on oil seals."

"I bought this car with 6 miles. I have put 190,000 miles over the last 14 years. I have had no problems with the car. It is dependable and has always got me where I needed to be. The only work I put in the car was what was required under the maintance guide. The car handles well on wet and snowy roads. It is a little sluggish with the acceleration but it is a 4 cyl and I am more about quality over speed. I am sold on the dependability of the Camry and it is worth every penny if you are looking to buy and keep the car."