1999 Toyota Camry

Based on 1035 Ratings for the 1997 - 2001 models.

My favorite car

By on Monday, February 11, 2008

"I have owned only three cars in my lifetime (I'm approaching 50), and all three have been Toyotas. I purchased my Camry (vehicle #3) in 1999, with 16,000 miles on it--one of those "program vehicles." I now have over 195,500 miles on it with no major repairs, just maintenance, tires and the necessary replacements like timing belts, brakes, etc. Just this fall I had to replace the battery (only the second one in it), but other than that, it has been such a sweet car. I call it Gypsy, because we've been so many miles down the road together. My favorite part of the car is its cavernous TRUNK! I am continually impressed with what will fit into that space and it's fun to impress people with its capacity. I hope it will continue to serve me for a long time to come. Besides, having no car payments is worth it!"

Best car ever!

By on Sunday, January 18, 2015

Pros: "This baby goes forever"

Cons: "No reason to ever replace it"

"Everyone that knows me, knows how much I love my car. I have had the oil changed as recommended, rotated tires and had the proper maintenance done at the proper times. This car is and has been such a reliable car. As a single woman, I have driven from Missouri to Georgia then on to Florida a number of times alone. Never have I felt unsafe or worried that my car was unable to make the trip. I have sang the praises of my Toyota for years. The only problem I have ever encountered is that it sits pretty low to the ground. I recommend the Camry and can't say enough good things about it, this year my car is old enough to drive!"

Great bang for your buck

By on Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Pros: "Great on gas, reliable, convenient"

Cons: "Body doesn't last as long as engine"

"I bought the vehicle in 2011 with 250,000 KM. I have only had to change the fluids, the timing belt, and the brakes. The suspension has gone on it, bottoms out very easily and I haven't had the opportunity to get it repaired. The exhaust hangs low on the car, causing it to scrape on the ground when the car bottoms out. I have replaced the speakers and the stereo with a modern sound system. The electronics on the car (sun roof, windows, locks, driver seat) all work fine. Great on gas, 65 - 70 liters of gas lasts approximately 600 KM in the city and 700 KM on the highway. I had a flat tire the other day and was very surprised to find a full size spare in my trunk, (not sure if it came stock or the previous owner had left it there). The car handles well despite the suspension issues, and highway driving is very smooth, plenty of passing power even for a 2.2 4 cylinder. The engine runs great, it has started in -30 degree Celsius weather unplugged without a hiccup. The body is starting to rust, the clear coat is chipping off the roof, small cosmetic"

Best car I have owned in my 65 years of driving!!!

By on Saturday, January 11, 2014

Pros: "I am 6'3" it's very comfortable on long trips"

Cons: "None for me"

"I bought the car used and have been very surprised at the quality of the Camry. I have driven the car 4 years. The only things I have had done to it were at 180000 miles there was a small oil leak from the oil pump seal, a $150 repair. At 201000 miles I had the timing belt replaced for $180. The car is very reliable. I drive it to Las Vegas from San Diego without a second thought as to reliability. I average 16 mpg in city driving and 30+mpg on the hiway. I have owned 5 Fords,3 Chevrolets,1 Lincoln,2 Mercurys, 2 Buicks, 2 Oldsmobiles, 1 Cadillac, 2 VW's,1 Citroen and 2 Triumphs. I think that is enough cars to compare and make the statement "It's the best car I have owned in 65 years of driving"."

Faithful and Indestructible Camry

By on Saturday, September 07, 2013

Pros: "Dependable, GREAT value, easy-ish to work on"

Cons: "NO acceleration to speak of(fixed in newer models)"

Running with the Big Boys on the mountain trails of Utah. Did I mention I was leading the pack?

"I bought my Camry in 2008 at 117k miles, and I have not had a single issue yet. I do all the mechanic work myself and have only ever had to do maintenance work (tires, brakes, oil, etc.) This car has gotten me across the country multiple times, driven day-to-day, and has not been babied. I have been ran off the road by a semi, gone mudding twice (stuck once[got farther than a Dodge Ram] and pulled out by a Toyota truck), and gone off-roading on mountain trails in Utah that were meant for ATV's and 4x4 vehicles(see picture). I say all this to say that neither have I had a single issue with my car through day-to-day driving in highschool, college, and career, nor have I had an issue in the "Extra-curricular" driving through the years. I look forward to breaking 300k on this car and intend to put it out in style."