1999 Toyota Camry

Based on 1034 Ratings for the 1997 - 2001 models.

Camrys Go Forever!

By on Saturday, August 18, 2007

"My 1998 Camry XLE has 166,000 miles on it and still performs as well as when it was new. This car has never broken down! I park outside and the paint and trim still look new. Even the leather interior is still perfect! I replaced the struts at 120,000. I have the automatic transmission flushed out and a new transmission (internal) filter installed once a year and change the engine oil and oil filter religously every 3000 miles. It doesn't use a drop of oil, has never had any leaks of any kind and the exaust pipe is clean inside...no soot or film! My fuel consumption always averages out at about 25mpg. I burn only Supreme and find Chevron to be the best . I have been a car nut for over 50 years, have built hot rods, restored classics and raced C,D and E Production Sport Cars in the 60s and 70s, and have owned over 100 cars! This is by far the best engineered automobile around. Toyotas are now slowly on the decline as far as quality goes. 1997 to 2002 are their best models. For pure luxury and incredible performance go for the Camry XLEs with the twin overhead cam, 24 valve, 3.0 liter engine with the 4 speed electric overdrive transmission. Don't waste your money on a Lexus (Toyota's "Luxury" line of automobiles) as they have the same engines and transmissions...and you spend thousands extra for mainly sexy styling,especially 1998 to 2002. This Camry is truly one of the best designed and best built automobiles of all time."

Great Great Car

By on Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Pros: "Everything"

Cons: "No flaws about this car"

"My mom originally bought this car in 2001 or 2002 and it never gave her any problems... Since then she has purchased a new car and passed this car down to me and ive never had any problems out of it... I drive to south carolina (2 hours each way) twice a month and only problem ive had out of this car was the power steering pump went out once... Other than that NO issues at all... I tell my friends how many miles i have on it and they dont want to ride with me in fear of a breakdown but ive seen them go through many vehicles and ive been the only one with the same car...Plus my particular camry got around 32 mpg on the highway and i averaged around 575 miles on a tank... I would fill up once every two weeks while friends would be filling up twice a week or once a week... Plus im 6 foot 9 and im able to fit in the car just fine... Car was hit a couple of days ago and it was deemed "totaled" by insurance so me and the car have to part ways, but i honestly dont think i will ever have another car just as reliable..."

Very competent mid-size sedan

By on Sunday, July 15, 2007

"Our Camry is the chief transportation for our family. The 3.0 liter V6 engine offers quiet smooth and very strong acceleration although it is a bit thirsty for rush hour driving. It gets about 4 mpg less than the 4-cyl we used to have but way better performance. The transmission is smooth but the lock-up torque convertor lurches while coasting downhill. Toyota's in general are not known for good seats and the Camry is no exception. Poor lower back and thigh support. Climate control is excellent offering the choice between fresh and recirculated air in any mode, a feature lacking on too many American cars. The suspension is too soft but does give a comfortable ride. No strut issues yet which tend to plague Camry's. The steering is impossible to align pulling left but the tires are unaffected. The trunk is nice and large as is the fuel tank. I change oil frequently and hope to avoid oil sludging which has to do with oil return holes being too small, not the oil pumps as many seem to think. 98,000 miles so far with no serious issues. Only service has been routine maintenance and one window motor replaced under warranty. A good all-around car to get from point A to point B with few worries."

Juggernaut

By on Wednesday, November 28, 2012

I don't own this car

"I bought this 4 cylinder car in 2009 with 220,000 miles. In 3 years and 60,000 I had no more than a few hundred dollars worth of repairs. I used this car to travel to work all over the entire state of IL. I also drove the car coast to coast. This car was probably the most reliable car ever built. The only reason I still don't have the vehicle is because I was rear ended and the vehicle was totaled."

The best car I have ever owned

By on Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Pros: "Best overall value"

Cons: "Door handles plastic"

"This car has the most value of any. I bought it new and put every mile on it. Just do schedule maintenance."

My favorite car

By on Monday, February 11, 2008

"I have owned only three cars in my lifetime (I'm approaching 50), and all three have been Toyotas. I purchased my Camry (vehicle #3) in 1999, with 16,000 miles on it--one of those "program vehicles." I now have over 195,500 miles on it with no major repairs, just maintenance, tires and the necessary replacements like timing belts, brakes, etc. Just this fall I had to replace the battery (only the second one in it), but other than that, it has been such a sweet car. I call it Gypsy, because we've been so many miles down the road together. My favorite part of the car is its cavernous TRUNK! I am continually impressed with what will fit into that space and it's fun to impress people with its capacity. I hope it will continue to serve me for a long time to come. Besides, having no car payments is worth it!"

Best car ever!

By on Sunday, January 18, 2015

Pros: "This baby goes forever"

Cons: "No reason to ever replace it"

"Everyone that knows me, knows how much I love my car. I have had the oil changed as recommended, rotated tires and had the proper maintenance done at the proper times. This car is and has been such a reliable car. As a single woman, I have driven from Missouri to Georgia then on to Florida a number of times alone. Never have I felt unsafe or worried that my car was unable to make the trip. I have sang the praises of my Toyota for years. The only problem I have ever encountered is that it sits pretty low to the ground. I recommend the Camry and can't say enough good things about it, this year my car is old enough to drive!"

Great bang for your buck

By on Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Pros: "Great on gas, reliable, convenient"

Cons: "Body doesn't last as long as engine"

"I bought the vehicle in 2011 with 250,000 KM. I have only had to change the fluids, the timing belt, and the brakes. The suspension has gone on it, bottoms out very easily and I haven't had the opportunity to get it repaired. The exhaust hangs low on the car, causing it to scrape on the ground when the car bottoms out. I have replaced the speakers and the stereo with a modern sound system. The electronics on the car (sun roof, windows, locks, driver seat) all work fine. Great on gas, 65 - 70 liters of gas lasts approximately 600 KM in the city and 700 KM on the highway. I had a flat tire the other day and was very surprised to find a full size spare in my trunk, (not sure if it came stock or the previous owner had left it there). The car handles well despite the suspension issues, and highway driving is very smooth, plenty of passing power even for a 2.2 4 cylinder. The engine runs great, it has started in -30 degree Celsius weather unplugged without a hiccup. The body is starting to rust, the clear coat is chipping off the roof, small cosmetic"

Best car I have owned in my 65 years of driving!!!

By on Saturday, January 11, 2014

Pros: "I am 6'3" it's very comfortable on long trips"

Cons: "None for me"

"I bought the car used and have been very surprised at the quality of the Camry. I have driven the car 4 years. The only things I have had done to it were at 180000 miles there was a small oil leak from the oil pump seal, a $150 repair. At 201000 miles I had the timing belt replaced for $180. The car is very reliable. I drive it to Las Vegas from San Diego without a second thought as to reliability. I average 16 mpg in city driving and 30+mpg on the hiway. I have owned 5 Fords,3 Chevrolets,1 Lincoln,2 Mercurys, 2 Buicks, 2 Oldsmobiles, 1 Cadillac, 2 VW's,1 Citroen and 2 Triumphs. I think that is enough cars to compare and make the statement "It's the best car I have owned in 65 years of driving"."

Faithful and Indestructible Camry

By on Saturday, September 07, 2013

Pros: "Dependable, GREAT value, easy-ish to work on"

Cons: "NO acceleration to speak of(fixed in newer models)"

Running with the Big Boys on the mountain trails of Utah. Did I mention I was leading the pack?

"I bought my Camry in 2008 at 117k miles, and I have not had a single issue yet. I do all the mechanic work myself and have only ever had to do maintenance work (tires, brakes, oil, etc.) This car has gotten me across the country multiple times, driven day-to-day, and has not been babied. I have been ran off the road by a semi, gone mudding twice (stuck once[got farther than a Dodge Ram] and pulled out by a Toyota truck), and gone off-roading on mountain trails in Utah that were meant for ATV's and 4x4 vehicles(see picture). I say all this to say that neither have I had a single issue with my car through day-to-day driving in highschool, college, and career, nor have I had an issue in the "Extra-curricular" driving through the years. I look forward to breaking 300k on this car and intend to put it out in style."