1998 Toyota Camry

Based on 1047 Ratings for the 1997 - 2001 models.

Great Great Car

By on Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Pros: "Everything"

Cons: "No flaws about this car"

"My mom originally bought this car in 2001 or 2002 and it never gave her any problems... Since then she has purchased a new car and passed this car down to me and ive never had any problems out of it... I drive to south carolina (2 hours each way) twice a month and only problem ive had out of this car was the power steering pump went out once... Other than that NO issues at all... I tell my friends how many miles i have on it and they dont want to ride with me in fear of a breakdown but ive seen them go through many vehicles and ive been the only one with the same car...Plus my particular camry got around 32 mpg on the highway and i averaged around 575 miles on a tank... I would fill up once every two weeks while friends would be filling up twice a week or once a week... Plus im 6 foot 9 and im able to fit in the car just fine... Car was hit a couple of days ago and it was deemed "totaled" by insurance so me and the car have to part ways, but i honestly dont think i will ever have another car just as reliable..."

Best car ever!

By on Sunday, January 18, 2015

Pros: "This baby goes forever"

Cons: "No reason to ever replace it"

"Everyone that knows me, knows how much I love my car. I have had the oil changed as recommended, rotated tires and had the proper maintenance done at the proper times. This car is and has been such a reliable car. As a single woman, I have driven from Missouri to Georgia then on to Florida a number of times alone. Never have I felt unsafe or worried that my car was unable to make the trip. I have sang the praises of my Toyota for years. The only problem I have ever encountered is that it sits pretty low to the ground. I recommend the Camry and can't say enough good things about it, this year my car is old enough to drive!"

My favorite car

By on Monday, February 11, 2008

"I have owned only three cars in my lifetime (I'm approaching 50), and all three have been Toyotas. I purchased my Camry (vehicle #3) in 1999, with 16,000 miles on it--one of those "program vehicles." I now have over 195,500 miles on it with no major repairs, just maintenance, tires and the necessary replacements like timing belts, brakes, etc. Just this fall I had to replace the battery (only the second one in it), but other than that, it has been such a sweet car. I call it Gypsy, because we've been so many miles down the road together. My favorite part of the car is its cavernous TRUNK! I am continually impressed with what will fit into that space and it's fun to impress people with its capacity. I hope it will continue to serve me for a long time to come. Besides, having no car payments is worth it!"

Best car I have owned in my 65 years of driving!!!

By on Saturday, January 11, 2014

Pros: "I am 6'3" it's very comfortable on long trips"

Cons: "None for me"

"I bought the car used and have been very surprised at the quality of the Camry. I have driven the car 4 years. The only things I have had done to it were at 180000 miles there was a small oil leak from the oil pump seal, a $150 repair. At 201000 miles I had the timing belt replaced for $180. The car is very reliable. I drive it to Las Vegas from San Diego without a second thought as to reliability. I average 16 mpg in city driving and 30+mpg on the hiway. I have owned 5 Fords,3 Chevrolets,1 Lincoln,2 Mercurys, 2 Buicks, 2 Oldsmobiles, 1 Cadillac, 2 VW's,1 Citroen and 2 Triumphs. I think that is enough cars to compare and make the statement "It's the best car I have owned in 65 years of driving"."

Great bang for your buck

By on Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Pros: "Great on gas, reliable, convenient"

Cons: "Body doesn't last as long as engine"

"I bought the vehicle in 2011 with 250,000 KM. I have only had to change the fluids, the timing belt, and the brakes. The suspension has gone on it, bottoms out very easily and I haven't had the opportunity to get it repaired. The exhaust hangs low on the car, causing it to scrape on the ground when the car bottoms out. I have replaced the speakers and the stereo with a modern sound system. The electronics on the car (sun roof, windows, locks, driver seat) all work fine. Great on gas, 65 - 70 liters of gas lasts approximately 600 KM in the city and 700 KM on the highway. I had a flat tire the other day and was very surprised to find a full size spare in my trunk, (not sure if it came stock or the previous owner had left it there). The car handles well despite the suspension issues, and highway driving is very smooth, plenty of passing power even for a 2.2 4 cylinder. The engine runs great, it has started in -30 degree Celsius weather unplugged without a hiccup. The body is starting to rust, the clear coat is chipping off the roof, small cosmetic"

Faithful and Indestructible Camry

By on Saturday, September 07, 2013

Pros: "Dependable, GREAT value, easy-ish to work on"

Cons: "NO acceleration to speak of(fixed in newer models)"

Running with the Big Boys on the mountain trails of Utah. Did I mention I was leading the pack?

"I bought my Camry in 2008 at 117k miles, and I have not had a single issue yet. I do all the mechanic work myself and have only ever had to do maintenance work (tires, brakes, oil, etc.) This car has gotten me across the country multiple times, driven day-to-day, and has not been babied. I have been ran off the road by a semi, gone mudding twice (stuck once[got farther than a Dodge Ram] and pulled out by a Toyota truck), and gone off-roading on mountain trails in Utah that were meant for ATV's and 4x4 vehicles(see picture). I say all this to say that neither have I had a single issue with my car through day-to-day driving in highschool, college, and career, nor have I had an issue in the "Extra-curricular" driving through the years. I look forward to breaking 300k on this car and intend to put it out in style."

517000 and still going strong!

By on Monday, May 20, 2013

Pros: "Extremely dependable, overall great car"

Cons: "Minor issues with check engine light"

"I purchased my 98 Camry with 48k on it in 2001 and now with 517K. I Stay on top of oil changes and regular maintenance and it still has original engine. Starts up great and has yet to fail me. Best car I have owned. Plan on getting to 600k or even 750K.. unless the wheels fall off before then :)"

Best car I have ever had!

By on Monday, February 04, 2013

Pros: "Great car, good mpg, and reliable."

Cons: "cheap interior"

"With over 300,000 miles, I have only had about 1200 in repairs. I wish they had put a little more thought into the interior, but it's still a comfortable and easy car to drive."

DieHard Camry

By on Saturday, January 31, 2009

"I purchased my 97 Camry in 2006 and the only problem I ever had with it was a bad O2 sensor. I bought it with around 155,000 miles on it and just recently broke the 200,000 mile mark. The only reason why I am getting rid of it is because it was totaled by the insurance company (not my fault) and I am getting ready to purchase a 2001 Camry. By the way this car was purchased with a salvage title (which means it was totaled once before and rebuilt) I never thought I would drive a Toyota, now I don't think that I won't drive one."

A Truly Great Car

By on Monday, January 27, 2014

Pros: "Could possibly last forever"

"My parents drove my mother's 2001 Toyota Camry from Kentucky to California back in the summer of 2008 and left it for me as a gift (they flew back home to Kentucky). What a gift! The 2001 Toyota Camry has been the best car I've ever owned. When I received the car from my parents, it had about 70,000 miles on it. I've put over 80,000 more miles since 2008. The only repairs I've dealt with: I replaced the timing belt at around 130,000 miles (first time it ever needed replaced), and got some new tires put on it a couple years ago. I also had the motor on the driver's side door window replaced (the window went down, but not back up, so I had to get that fixed). What's amazing is the air conditioning still works at 150,000 miles and I live in Southern California and use the A/C about every day. I'm also 6'3 in height and there's plenty of leg room. The CD player still works great and has great sound. I'd recommend this car to anyone if you can find it. Great gas milage too, and I love the look of the vehicle."