1998 Toyota Camry

Based on 1035 Ratings for the 1997 - 2001 models.

Camrys Go Forever!

By on Saturday, August 18, 2007

"My 1998 Camry XLE has 166,000 miles on it and still performs as well as when it was new. This car has never broken down! I park outside and the paint and trim still look new. Even the leather interior is still perfect! I replaced the struts at 120,000. I have the automatic transmission flushed out and a new transmission (internal) filter installed once a year and change the engine oil and oil filter religously every 3000 miles. It doesn't use a drop of oil, has never had any leaks of any kind and the exaust pipe is clean inside...no soot or film! My fuel consumption always averages out at about 25mpg. I burn only Supreme and find Chevron to be the best . I have been a car nut for over 50 years, have built hot rods, restored classics and raced C,D and E Production Sport Cars in the 60s and 70s, and have owned over 100 cars! This is by far the best engineered automobile around. Toyotas are now slowly on the decline as far as quality goes. 1997 to 2002 are their best models. For pure luxury and incredible performance go for the Camry XLEs with the twin overhead cam, 24 valve, 3.0 liter engine with the 4 speed electric overdrive transmission. Don't waste your money on a Lexus (Toyota's "Luxury" line of automobiles) as they have the same engines and transmissions...and you spend thousands extra for mainly sexy styling,especially 1998 to 2002. This Camry is truly one of the best designed and best built automobiles of all time."

Great Great Car

By on Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Pros: "Everything"

Cons: "No flaws about this car"

"My mom originally bought this car in 2001 or 2002 and it never gave her any problems... Since then she has purchased a new car and passed this car down to me and ive never had any problems out of it... I drive to south carolina (2 hours each way) twice a month and only problem ive had out of this car was the power steering pump went out once... Other than that NO issues at all... I tell my friends how many miles i have on it and they dont want to ride with me in fear of a breakdown but ive seen them go through many vehicles and ive been the only one with the same car...Plus my particular camry got around 32 mpg on the highway and i averaged around 575 miles on a tank... I would fill up once every two weeks while friends would be filling up twice a week or once a week... Plus im 6 foot 9 and im able to fit in the car just fine... Car was hit a couple of days ago and it was deemed "totaled" by insurance so me and the car have to part ways, but i honestly dont think i will ever have another car just as reliable..."

Very competent mid-size sedan

By on Sunday, July 15, 2007

"Our Camry is the chief transportation for our family. The 3.0 liter V6 engine offers quiet smooth and very strong acceleration although it is a bit thirsty for rush hour driving. It gets about 4 mpg less than the 4-cyl we used to have but way better performance. The transmission is smooth but the lock-up torque convertor lurches while coasting downhill. Toyota's in general are not known for good seats and the Camry is no exception. Poor lower back and thigh support. Climate control is excellent offering the choice between fresh and recirculated air in any mode, a feature lacking on too many American cars. The suspension is too soft but does give a comfortable ride. No strut issues yet which tend to plague Camry's. The steering is impossible to align pulling left but the tires are unaffected. The trunk is nice and large as is the fuel tank. I change oil frequently and hope to avoid oil sludging which has to do with oil return holes being too small, not the oil pumps as many seem to think. 98,000 miles so far with no serious issues. Only service has been routine maintenance and one window motor replaced under warranty. A good all-around car to get from point A to point B with few worries."

Juggernaut

By on Wednesday, November 28, 2012

I don't own this car

"I bought this 4 cylinder car in 2009 with 220,000 miles. In 3 years and 60,000 I had no more than a few hundred dollars worth of repairs. I used this car to travel to work all over the entire state of IL. I also drove the car coast to coast. This car was probably the most reliable car ever built. The only reason I still don't have the vehicle is because I was rear ended and the vehicle was totaled."

The best car I have ever owned

By on Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Pros: "Best overall value"

Cons: "Door handles plastic"

"This car has the most value of any. I bought it new and put every mile on it. Just do schedule maintenance."