1997 Toyota Camry

Based on 1063 Ratings for the 1997 - 2001 models.

517000 and still going strong!

By on Monday, May 20, 2013

Pros: "Extremely dependable, overall great car"

Cons: "Minor issues with check engine light"

"I purchased my 98 Camry with 48k on it in 2001 and now with 517K. I Stay on top of oil changes and regular maintenance and it still has original engine. Starts up great and has yet to fail me. Best car I have owned. Plan on getting to 600k or even 750K.. unless the wheels fall off before then :)"

DieHard Camry

By on Saturday, January 31, 2009

"I purchased my 97 Camry in 2006 and the only problem I ever had with it was a bad O2 sensor. I bought it with around 155,000 miles on it and just recently broke the 200,000 mile mark. The only reason why I am getting rid of it is because it was totaled by the insurance company (not my fault) and I am getting ready to purchase a 2001 Camry. By the way this car was purchased with a salvage title (which means it was totaled once before and rebuilt) I never thought I would drive a Toyota, now I don't think that I won't drive one."

This is a reliable and well performing vehicle

By on Thursday, August 23, 2007

"My 97' Toyota Camry has given me great satisfaction. At one hundred-fourty thousand miles the Camry still sounds, looks, and performes very well. The glossy paint coating is the only thing that has been weathered a bit. Other than that, I cannot complain."

Fantastic Value, 296K miles, incredibly reliable.

By on Monday, May 2, 2016

Pros: "Reliability, Price ($18.8K new), MPG, Handling"

Cons: "Power (4cyl), flimsy rear cup holders."

"The '97 camry 4-cyl LE isn't a hotrod, but for 20 years it's provided amazingly reliable transportation. Good mpg, and I like the ride - comfortable, & very secure. I've had to avoid my share of random out-of-nowhere obstacles on the highway, and it handles great. I had an oil pan leak early on, covered under warranty, then 15 years of nothing but standard maintenance. In the last few years I've had to replace the distributor points, radiator, right front axle and boot. Oh yeah, I replaced the headlights myself last winter just because the plastic had yellowed. The A/C finally bought the farm last year, and the clear coat started peeling a year ago. However, the transmission is still smooth as ever, & the engine purrs like it's brand new. With some TLC I bet it could go another 10 years or more, but I'm ready to upgrade once I hit the magic 300K."

Seriously, love this car!

By on Monday, March 30, 2015

Pros: "Low price, great quality, smooth ride"

"This car is amazing. I have never had any serious issues with it. It was my first car and it is still going strong. These cars are so reliable. I would highly recommend them for someones first car. You can always count on them! I would recommend an older model of this car, mine is the 1999, because I knew someone with a brand new one back in 2012 and they had driven my car and compared it to theirs, mine was better because it was better in snow, felt cozier, and it was easier to drive. Unless you can actually afford a brand new 2015, I would go with an older model."

Best car I have ever had!

By on Monday, February 4, 2013

Pros: "Great car, good mpg, and reliable."

Cons: "cheap interior"

"With over 300,000 miles, I have only had about 1200 in repairs. I wish they had put a little more thought into the interior, but it's still a comfortable and easy car to drive."

Quality Reliability = High Value | Enough Said

By on Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Pros: "Quality Reliability = High Value | Enough Said"

"After 189,000 miles, my 2000 Camry is the most reliable vehicle I've ever had. We've replaced the brakes and tires and used full synthetic oil - so not a lot of maintenance costs. We've had many good memories in the Camry - from celebrating volleyball"

Impressive

By on Saturday, February 11, 2012

Pros: "Great on gas, lots of cargo room, and very comfy"

Cons: "wow I seriously just sat here for a minute. none"

"I originally purchased this car as my commuter. It now is my main source of transportation. I have owned several very nice cars including two brand new off the lot. I have never purchased such an inexpensive vehicle (because of age and miles (about$3000)) and was scared to do so. After driving it to LA (2,000 miles one way) and back for my cruise, I knew it would last me a while. It now has about 227,000 and I am confident it will go to 300,000. It runs smooth and every time a passenger asks how many miles it has on it, I physical have to show them because they do not believe me (in part because you can eat off my floors ). This car comes to you with my highest recommendation!"

Great Vehicle

By on Sunday, January 11, 2009

"Bought this vehicle at auction as a "filler" car until I could find something better. Bought with lots of miles (260K), cheap, had to do a few maintenance things when I first bought it, since I didn't know anything about it (timing belt, some seals, and an half shaft) - other than tires, a battery and oil changes, it hasn't needed anything but regular maintenance and gas. I drive it over 500 miles a week, great commute car. It now has over 325K miles on it - still going strong, starts every time and still gets 29 MPG (4 cyl). I bought it as a filler, but it just won't die. Heat is hot, air will keep beef cold, even in Oklahoma summers. I'm afraid I may own it forever, can't seem to kill it and no one wants it because of the miles, but I would trust it to drive anywhere. I drove it to Houston last summer, no problems and over 31 MPG. We will likely buy another one for my wife in the future."

Highly reliable, comfortable and robust

By on Saturday, June 22, 2013

Pros: "Quiet ride; comfortable; ultra reliable; safe"

Cons: "Some repair parts are getting expensive in Europe"

"I bought this car used with about 20000 miles. Initially, there were some problems with the rattling noise in the front Suspension, after having replaced the struts it disappeared. Highly reliable car. I have the European model with 2.2 l engine, manual Transmission. In Europe standard equipment was automatic climate control, power steering, 4 power Windows, power central door lock, Audio System with 4 loudspeakers and power antenna, 4 air bags, fog lights and ABS. Mine has in addition a 6-cd-changer. All electric equipment is still working perfectly well. Also the engine never failed; I still have the first transmission, the first exhaust pipe(!!) and the first catalytic converter. In Germany we do not have Speed Limit; the Camry is quite rare here (this model has been sold only about 5000 times in Germany) and hardly anybody knows it. I know it is mainly built for cruising, but the engine and the Suspension also allow going on a faster ride. My car is still running fine and reaches its top speed of 200 km/h (125 mph)very easily, sometimes exceedng it. No severe oil consumption. Many friends are still amazed about the quiet engine and quiet ride and want to know whether it is a 6-cylinder model. So far no corrosion is visible. My car always has passed the German obligatory technical revision every 2 years. It definitely gives me no reason to look for something else."