1997 Toyota Camry

Based on 1034 Ratings for the 1997 - 2001 models.

Excellent Vehicle

By on Wednesday, August 29, 2007

"I bought my used 2000 Toyota Camry Ce in 2002 with 15000 miles. It is a excellent car. Obviously it is not built for superb speed like an Infiniti G37 or luxury like Bentlys, but my Camry is an excellent car for it's price. I just do all my scheduled maintenance and it runs fine. Also if you know how to use the horse power it does provide (stopping and accelerating at the correct times) your passengers might start doubting it has only 133 horse power like mine do. I have 67000 miles on my car now and I heard it normally goes to 300000+. My only complaint would be the rear cup holder is quite fragile and was broken since I purchased my used Camry."

Seriously, love this car!

By on Monday, March 30, 2015

Pros: "Low price, great quality, smooth ride"

"This car is amazing. I have never had any serious issues with it. It was my first car and it is still going strong. These cars are so reliable. I would highly recommend them for someones first car. You can always count on them! I would recommend an older model of this car, mine is the 1999, because I knew someone with a brand new one back in 2012 and they had driven my car and compared it to theirs, mine was better because it was better in snow, felt cozier, and it was easier to drive. Unless you can actually afford a brand new 2015, I would go with an older model."

Great car. Great shape and care.

By on Saturday, January 24, 2015

Pros: "Outstanding vehicle"

"Car is 1 owner. Garage kept. Low miles. Always serviced. Has TDS theft deterrent system. Gets great milage and is rock solid dependable."

Extremely reliable car.

By on Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Pros: "Reliable, Low cost to maintain, lots of storage."

"I bought my 99 Camry in 2007 with 134k on it. I have since put almost 120k on it. In Non-scheduled maintenance I have put less than $300 into the car. I have driven this car in extreme conditions from mountain dirt roads to sliding on ice and snow in Missouri, it definitely shows its age from use, but mechanically it is still in great shape"

Excellent

By on Saturday, February 01, 2014

Pros: "Reliability, good gas mileage"

Cons: "Cant think of any"

"Best car I've ever had by far. I've only had one problem other than regular wear and tear type maintenance. Had to have the EGR vacuum switching valve replaced when the Check engine light came on. Other than that, only had the brake pads replaced once and regular oil changes and tires are all i've had to do to it. Wayyy better than any vehicle i've had in the past. Only car i've had with such few problems. I plan on driving it a few more years to at least 200k."

The best car I have ever owned

By on Monday, January 27, 2014

"This is the best car I have ever owned. I will never own anything other than a Toyota Camry in the future. Extremely reliable and everything you could want in a car!!"

very good car

By on Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Pros: "quick to start & stop even in deep snow"

Cons: "leather package was installed at dealer not good"

"regular service, driven pretty hard, mom is hard on stop and go, replaced a head light, battery, never been stranded, wood buy a new 1 but this 1 is still awsome"

Excellent car!!!!!

By on Thursday, January 10, 2013

Pros: "Exellent value, built to last, great price,"

Cons: "nothing I can think of."

"We bought this car brand new back in December 1997 with the odometer read 3 miles on it. As of today it read 204995 miles on the odometer (1/10/2013) We did a timing belt changed twice. Oil changed every 3-6 mos, drove cross country and back, from Kansas to Oklahoma, to Oregon, back to KS then to Florida then back to KS again. It was a great car for us and also was a great first car for our son. Sadly, we may have to part with it as he got hit from behind and it may have to be total. The car still running great, and would have probably last us a few more years. A wonderful car, too bad they don't make it like it used to be."

Love this car - easy to drive - great acceleration

By on Thursday, April 05, 2012

Pros: "Very comfortable and easy to drive."

Cons: "Price"

"Bought this car new and love it. It handles well, is comfortable, and has good acceleration. It still looks sharp, too. The only problems I have had in 13 years are: batteries, replaced the alternator once and replaced the driver side window motor. I have kept the oil changed religiously more often at 3000 miles than the Toyota recommended 5000."

Old Faithful

By on Thursday, September 22, 2011

Pros: "Great on gas, low maintenance"

Cons: "Transmission acts weird after 190,000 miles"

"With regular maintenance and a little TLC, this was the best vehicle I've ever owned in terms of reliability. Great on gas and performed well in all situations."

Toyota does it again

By on Friday, January 09, 2009

"My first car ever was an Acura Integra. I went searching for my next car hoping to find a Honda when I spotted a 1996 Toyota Corolla. Not only was the Corolla better looking then the Honda's I looked at but it had less mileage and cost less. I decided to buy the Corolla and boy was I impressed. I thought my Acura was a good car but that was before I bought a Toyota. Toyota's make Honda's look like over-priced junk. Anyway, after over 230,000 miles on an automatic transmission and never giving me any problems I decided to sell my Corolla and look for a larger Camry. I bought the Camry about 6 months ago used and it continues to impress me. I live in the mountains and commute up and down to the flat lands so it gets much more wear than a normal car would. The Camry is such a fancy car that makes you feel like you are driving a very expensive car. It rides like no other car I have ever been in, it is quiet and smooth while performing awesome. My husband is a mechanic and former "Chevy guy" and swears he will buy nothing anymore but a Toyota. I average about 28MPG mountain and some city driving which is pretty good considering I don't really drive highway miles that much. Pretty much everyone that rides in my car is impressed about how nice it is. The best thing about the car is that I have peace of mind that I know this car will at least last the 230,000 miles my Corolla did. One of the things that I really enjoy about my Camry is the quiet and smooth ride while having so much power with great MPG. Another thing that appreciate about Toyota's is that they don't look cheap. I have noticed many brand new cars such as Jeeps etc. that just look cheap and very plastic. My Camry is 9 years old and it looks better and more expensive than many of the new cars on the road. Also, I must say that with my Corolla I was so impressed by the little things like how well the carpet and seats wore. These cars are truly about quality both in and out and I am proud to say that I will NEVER buy anything but a Toyota."

150k miles and still going

By on Sunday, December 23, 2007

"I purchased this car 7 yrs ago with 35000 miles. Now, running at 150k miles and still going strong. The only thing that i have done to the car are regular oil changes, transmission flush, replaced the timing belt and water pump (at 120k miles), replaced the O2 sensor (at 135k miles). The only thing that i dislike about the car is the power, it lags during those times when you need to step it up. Great car to get you from point A to B. Highly recommend it for someone seeking a simple dependable car."

1997 Camry

By on Wednesday, August 22, 2007

"I bought this 1998 Camry in 2001 with 20000 miles on it. It now has 106000 miles. It runs and looks like a new one. The 4 cylinder Automatic still get 35 MPG on the Freeway. The only real problem, other than general maintenance, that I have had is the front strut mounts broke and ruined the struts. The repair was about $700. This is a great car and has been very dependable."

Best Car I ever owned

By on Sunday, June 22, 2014

Pros: "Quiet, comfortable, nimble in traffic."

"200k miles, used daily to commute 56 miles, and not one problem. Regular scheduled maintenance only. Quiet, comfortable, cruises easily at 80. Cold AC even on 100+ degree Houston days. Garage kept so paint is like new. Usually get 27 mpg."

Toyota Camry's Are The Best!!!

By on Saturday, October 19, 2013

"Toyota Camry's are very good cars! There's nothing I can say bad about them! They are very reliable and as long as you keep up the regular maintenance like oil change, spark plugs, Ect, then they should last a very long time. Mine has over 200,000 miles and runs like new! They're safe, reliable, good on gas, and really a perfect car for all ages! I love my Camry!"

Love This Car!

By on Friday, August 10, 2012

Pros: "mine has a spoiler & moonroof ! Fun!"

"This is my 3rd Camry, so would you say I love it?! YES!! I will not buy anything BUT Toyota. I do the usual maintenance, ie, oil changes, tires, etc. These cars are never at the Toyota dealer for repairs, I swear! At least, I have never had any problems. I AM a very happy Toyota driver!"

One heck of a car

By on Sunday, June 03, 2012

Pros: "Great MPG, reliability"

Cons: "cheap door handles, burns slight amount of oil"

"My parents bought this car new in 98. In 2009 the car had 180000 miles on it and it needed new struts in the rear and they were going to donate it to the DAV. I ended up getting it from them and replaced the struts myself. 80000 miles later I havent put one cent into her other than tires and oil changes. It does burn one quart of oil ever 1000 miles but other than that it runs great! I am a farmer that drives big gas hogging trucks and this is a welcome relief at the pump as I get 34 mpg on the highway. It has cheap door handles as I had to replace one that broke when it was frozen. But all things considered you would find a better more reliable car than the 1998 toyota camry."

Toyotas keep on going and going...

By on Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Pros: "Reliable, built to last, good gas mileage."

Cons: "flimsy backseat cup holders"

"My 2000 Camry CE has 175000 miles on it, been to 19 states, and still performs as well as the day I drove it from the dealership with 7 miles on it. I replaced my tires last year and I am on my second battery... other than that I have been following the maintenance schedule in the manual. No major repairs at all. Here's to the next 175000 miles. Cheers!"

A very Reliable car

By on Friday, October 21, 2011

Pros: "Reliable"

"I bought this car at 60,000 miles and now its at 204,000 miles.I moved alot and because of that I drove it all over USA in all kinds of weather hot,cold, snow never had any issues.I always kept up with regular maintenance work."

i love this car

By on Thursday, October 13, 2011

Pros: "MPg, Design, Stereo, Reliable"

"The 99' tan camry is by far my favorite car. I'm a highschooler so it could be expected that I would get a car that is handed down. However, this is not how it feels with my tan camry. It rides perfectly, not noisy like fords and chevys I have driven. Its gets on average 31 miles per gallon and has a above average stock stereo system. I also love the design and it naturally flows from front to back. This is the summary of my commitment to this car. I recently got into an accident(not my fault) and I'm willing to do whatever to make sure I don't have to buy another car."

14 years and still kicking

By on Thursday, August 11, 2011

Pros: "long life, great gas mileage, low maintance"

Cons: "yellow headlights"

"Bought my Camry with 120,000 from a guy I work with. I had to stick some money into it at first, 'cos the guy didn't keep up with it. Timing, exhaust, a few gaskets, fuel filter. Since then I've put on new front brakes, added a K"

Amazing car

By on Wednesday, January 28, 2009

"I bought this car with 80k miles, and although I have only put about 10k miles on the car thus far, I know this car will last me a long time. I don't like the styling of the car too much compared to Honda Accord. But this car defiantly makes up for it the V6 engine and the smooth ride is amazing. I owned a 2003 Altima 3.5SE before this, it was newer, and had only 30k miles on it. But in my opinion the Camry with 90k miles drives much better. I used to be a Honda and Nissan fan only, but now I think I will only be purchasing Toyota's!"

By on Monday, April 14, 2008

"I bought a 1997 Camry whan I was in college and drove it for 7 years. I put over 95,000 miles on it and never had a problem with it. I even drove it on the autobahn at 115mph with a 4 cylinder and it ran great. I'm sad to sell it off, but I will definatly buy another one in the near future."

I love Toyotas!

By on Tuesday, December 04, 2007

"I have owned nothing but Toyotas, from a '73 Corolla to a '79 Celica to a '86 Supra I put 160k on, and now a '97 Camry V6-3 Liter I bought in '02 with 47k on it. Now has 88k. Love the ride and power of this automatic. Gets 29 mpg on highway. Have had a few repair issues: Hardware inside driver door broke, cost $200; Last year had to replace power steering pump, lower control arm bushings, motor mounts, drive belts, transmission pan gasket, and brake job on all 4 wheels, cost $1,300. This year, driver seat belt wouldn't retract, replacement costing $250, and an emissions problem requiring replacement of some parts and decarb engine intake, cost $500. Otherwise, extremely reliable, has never stranded me on the road. Toyota parts are terribly expensive, and the dealers charge $98 an hour, they'll retire much younger than me. But reliability is worth paying for! Replaced the factory radio with an MP3 player, kept the factory speakers, and it sounds GREAT! I'll be driving this car for at least another 10 years!"

this is my third camry, will continue to own one

By on Wednesday, September 26, 2007

"Good, reliable car that holds resale value well. Dependable, stylish and comfortable to drive. Good performance and takes you where you need to go. Well built and low maintainence problems. You don't see them broke down on the side of the road. Good gas mileage and expect to get at least 200,000 miles out of the Camry. Only drawback is that parts are expensive. I change my oil every 2,500 miles and use only Toyota parts. Follow maintainence guidelines and it will last a long time."