1996 Toyota Camry

Based on 634 Ratings for the 1992 - 1996 models.

Love this car. Comfortable, reliable, handling eas

By on Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Pros: "Love it all."

Cons: "Rust is becoming a problem."

"It has been a great vehicle for me. Easy to drive and reliable, low maintenance required, reasonable on gas, and very comfortable."

Best I've ever owned. 330,000 miles & still 30 mpg

By on Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Pros: "Responsive, sporty, comfortable, roomy"

Cons: "Quality of hubcaps"

"Best Car I've ever owned. Bought it in 2002 with 117,000 miles on it and now has 330,000 miles on it. Still gets 30 miles to gallon at 75 miles per hour. Handles nice and tight. Only have done normal maintenance: tires, timing belt every 80,000 miles, spark plugs, brakes, and filters. Big trunk, lots of leg room front and back. Plenty of zip to pass when needed. Have driven for 13 hours straight a number of times and never with aches or stiffness. CD & cassette deck still work and are both used all the time! Would buy another if found one with less than 120,00 miles on it."

Gertrude (Camry) is the best car I have ever had!

By on Wednesday, November 10, 2010

"We bought Gertrude, the Camry, 15 years ago and I just passed 260,000 miles! Still runs like a dream. My mechanic cannot believe how mechanically sound this car is. I can't believe it either. I will have no problem going well over 300,000 miles. Sure, some of the interior and the paint have worn, but that is to be expected after 15 years of hard use. I would recommend this car to everyone. Thanks Toyota for Gertrude the Camry!"

best car i have ever owned

By on Thursday, March 06, 2008

"I purchased my 93 camry wholesale from a local dealer, no warranty, no cleaning. I got the car with a big dent in the right rear door, jamming it shut, right front window not working, broken outside driver door handle, and 214000 miles. The car only cost me $800.00, and was well worth it. I am now up to 253000 miles (280 miles a day, 6 days a week). It gets on average 25 to 28mpg, and not once has it had any issue starting and driving. At this point it needs new struts, brakes, a muffler, and a windshield, but I have no problem with that, the car has been wonderful to me, and I think I might need to pay it back a little. To sum up, if you need a cheap, reliable car, grab a Camry, you wont find a better car."

Best car I ever owned!

By on Monday, May 05, 2014

Pros: "Rock solid reliability."

""Bought this car with 104k on it in '04 for $4,600. Drive it every day to and from and around town, occasionally out of town. It has required maintenance, some of it from wear and tear, some of it from outright abuse. Just can't kill this car, it is tough! For a mid size budget car it is pretty comfy, easy to drive too, very smooth driving and handling. The I4 engine and AT are a great combo which has never left me stranded, ever. If you are handy it is pretty easy to work on for most common things, other repairs are better left to pros. Gas mileage is great, gets about 23/24 around town. Even after 18 years of near continuous use the interior has held up well too. AC is rock solid, never had to charge it. I'd buy another!""

Perfect first car!

By on Wednesday, January 01, 2014

Pros: "Good gas mileage, easy to drive, great for kids"

Cons: "Door handles are cheap in and out"

"Perfect first car! I am 15 years old (permit in Florida) so my dad bought me a 1996 Toyota Camry LE 2.2 liter 4cyl sedan as my first car. He purchased it from a good friend and the first owner. The vehicle was from NY and the original owner moved to Florida since then. He purchased another vehicle and just never touched the Camry again! It sat COMPLETELY UNTOUCHED for 3 years in the roasting Florida weather. Of course the battery was flat, so my dad bought a $30 battery, threw it in, and by just connecting the battery it fired up no problem at all! My car has 236k miles, but all these cars need are regular maintenance and they will last a lifetime! Very safe and efficient vehicle. My car was equipped with a few aftermarket features such as remote keyless entry with remote start and a 12 disk cd player and head unit. This is the perfect first car because it doesn't have enough power to get you in trouble (130hp from the 2.2 4cyl) but plenty enough for day to day tasks. My car doesn't hesitate to start and runs and drives incredibly smooth despite the mileage. My only complaint is the design of the exhaust system, which can collect water very easily if you let it sit. It has been sitting in my driveway for 2 months now, but I run the car every day, however since you aren't moving and because the engine is idling, the exhaust has quite a lot of water in it now and when the car gets into operating temperature the exhaust spits a lot of water and a little steam is given off from the water evaporating."

this car is nice and the price is rely good for

By on Monday, April 22, 2013

I don't own this car

"this car is nice and the price in rely good for a car this old. It got great value i never seen a car look like this in my life!!!!!!!!"

My BEST Car Ever

By on Friday, April 12, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive, comfortable, room,pretty, nice car"

Cons: "Small inconveniences, no fog lights"

"I love it!!!! I still like it's looks. The upholstery is still good and it's comfortable. It has plenty of room and the back seat folds down for MORE room in the trunk. The radio is still great though the tape deck died a long time ago. (Didn't really use it anyway.) Every important thing is still in good working condition including Transmission, Engine, lights, brakes, cruise control, wipers, adjustable seat and steering column etc. The engine block would break the bolts that held it down several times but it was covered by the extended warranty. The handle has come off and the trunk lock is broken and my antenna motor is shot. I highly recommend the extended warranty for the little things and check ups."

Truly is Built to Last!

By on Monday, July 16, 2012

"I had bought the car used and it had about 138,000 miles on it. The (one) previous owner to the car stated that he only drove the car in town and tended to beat on it a little bit (fast accelerating, hard braking, etc). I had my mechanic check over EVERYTHING. He stated that no parts appeared over worn or needed replacement in the near future. At about 164,000 it was in a collision, which damaged the exhaust manifolds and broke the water pump, so coolant and oil would leak out. I was continually filling it with water and going through two quarts of oil a week. I was told to drive the car until it died, because I didn't have the money needed to fix it. I was told the engine would just up and die without warning. At 186,600 miles, I came into some money and really wanted to fix this car. I replaced all the gaskets, injectors, water pump, timing belt, and exhaust. I was told by the very same mechanic that I had another 200,000 miles left in this car. Really built to last. In other aspects of the car, I think the stock interior was very plain and simple, and would recommend custom seat covers and floor mats. The car has some serious get-up-and-go, and the braking system is very precise. The suspension needs a little work, however. BUT THIS IS STILL A REALLY NICE CAR!"

327299 AND STILL GOING

By on Thursday, May 17, 2012

Pros: "Long life, reliable"

Cons: "door handle, gas door wire"

"I bought my 92 for $500 in 2007. My first car! It had 250,000. The door handle was broke and I got it fixed for $50 at a local shop. The gas door wire got stuck and I broke the gas door off, bought a new one at pull-a-parts (they always have plenty of camrys). I drove this car 120 miles a day back in college and it never gave me any problems..450 miles a tank of gas back then!! I do have oil leaks and was told I will need my head gaskets replaced down the road, but for that many miles I would think it needs a little work. Im thinking of buying a new car and giving this one to my mom for a run-about-car. I know it will treat her well!!"

I LOVE MY OLD CAMRY!!

By on Thursday, October 27, 2011

Pros: "Extremely reliable and has the quickness you need!"

"I'm about to roll over 200,000 miles and it still acts like a new car!! You can't ask for more than that. I was never a fan of Toyota until I got my Camry. Its a great car with great gas mileage and great endurance. I'd say its easily one of the best cars I've owned!"

Love this Car!

By on Thursday, August 25, 2011

Pros: "VERY reliable, comfortable for long rides"

Cons: "tiny cup holders (only a can will fit)"

"I got this car with approx 200,000 miles on it, and didn't figure it would last me very long. Over three years later, it's still going strong! I am buying another one just like it!"

Late bloomer

By on Wednesday, October 03, 2007

"I bought my '96 with 102,000 miles. Replaced radiator, battery, pully seals, water pump, cv joints, engine mounts, and hard to diagnose misinstalled sprocket key which impaired timing, power, and shifting (long time figuring that one out!) Check engine light stayed on (harmless emission sensor). Very tire sensitive--tires can make or kill the ride. Shop them carefully! But finally perfected it at 215,000. Best car ever at that point. Then totaled it in an accident 4,000 miles later. Shopped for replacement camry, but lots of folks just want money for the name. After one year lucked into a '94 with 124,000, which passed muster. Previous owner had replaced radiator, battery, struts, brakes, engine mounts, belts. Engine sounds tight, and burns no oil at all. I had test driven about 20 NEW cars, and like this '94 better than anything I recall for the money ($3600). Also more fun to drive than '96."

Wonderful Vehicle

By on Tuesday, July 17, 2007

"248,800mi still amazing. CV joint repair and timing belt have been the only 2 major repairs totalling less than $1200 - AC is busted but it's only a luxury. Got this car 7 years ago with a used Collector Edition package meaning Lexus Paint, Faux Wood trim, leather interior, and nice wheels. Even with all the bonus-stuff it's still a cubby-styled camry. V6 has lots of power (~180hp) and still moves quick on the highway. Squishy suspension makes for smooth rides. Totally large enough for 4 (six foot) adults. Gets 30mpg when driving mostly highway. I'd buy this car again and again!"

Most reliable, cheapest to own, best looking, ever

By on Saturday, December 17, 2011

Pros: "great price"

Cons: "honestly cannot think of one!"

"It is hard to find fault with this car. It owes me nothing! It hurts to sell it - but concerned because of its mileage and age. The body never rusted despite never being waxed - the paint always looked great after just a wash. This car must have been made at the peak of Toyota's reign as best car company for reliability. It was not a flashy car, just the perfect car for a family of average means."

Excellent car. The third toyota I have owned.

By on Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Pros: "gas mileage, comfort, reliability, easy to fix"

Cons: "struts"

"I have owned three toyotas. They are extremely reliable and easy to own. I have had difficulty with the struts on them but they are easy enough to replace. Since parts for the car are easily accessible and less expensive these days, I would recommend buying an older one in good condition to even a new driver. I do want to add that the newer toyotas don't seem to be as well made. That is why we have stuck with the older models."

great car

By on Saturday, December 08, 2007

"I bought this car used when it was seven years old, and it has been a great car to get me through college. It held up for a lot of miles for me and I put virtually no money into it in the time I had it--just oil changes and new tires once!"

Very High Mileage - Still Ticking

By on Tuesday, August 28, 2007

"I bought this card used from a workplace colleague in August of 2005 with 287,500 miles on it. In two years, the odometer now reads 333,500. I change the oil every 3,000 miles and add oil in-between oil changes. I do not hesitate to take this car on a 200+ mile trip. It is dependable and just keeps on running."

very good & dependable

By on Monday, July 30, 2007

"Very dependable and ecomically to drive/ Average mileage is about 26 to 30 miles to a gallon of gas. Air is very cold and handling responsive. I now have over 294,000 miles on my car and don't know of any other car that is in this great shapes for it's year and mileage"

Most Reliable

By on Friday, July 06, 2007

"1994 V6 with 201000 miles: average hwy miles per gallon 26 to 30"

I love it!!

By on Saturday, March 01, 2014

"This is a great car, cheap to fix if you come across any issues, its dependable & reliable! I love the moon roof too! It rides smooth. Sometimes it takes a little to start up but it always does!"

Best Car for Mileage

By on Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Pros: "Great Mileage, smooth ride."

Cons: "Bad rear suspension and bushings"

"I bought this car in 1993 (new) and still have it. What surprises me is after 213,000 miles and 19-years, it still gives 26 miles per gallon on highway! Had some normal repairs but still very reliable and comfortable car. It is still fun to drive and runs very smooth! Only disappointment is in the rear suspension and bushings."

One of the best - mechanically going strong.

By on Saturday, September 17, 2011

Pros: "Great value, reliable transportation"

Cons: "Overall integrity has degraded, but it is understandable for a 17 year old car"

"Minor problems with power windows and interior wear and tear. Had engine seal replaced but no other issues."

Great reliable car for a great price

By on Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Pros: "Great price, Easy to drive, very reliable."

Cons: "Cup holders are a little too small."

"I have had this car for about a year and am looking to get something new, This was my first car that I paid for myself. If you're looking for a car that is not brand new but still runs like it is, this is the perfect car for you."

I'm spoiled by this car!

By on Wednesday, January 06, 2010

"I currently own a 1996 camry and have had it for 5 years. Today I test drove a new 2010 Camry and was suprised to find that my '96 and the '10 drive very much the same, shifting was evenly as smooth, both rides glide over the road, and each lends itself to virtually no road noise. After driving the '10 I realized what an awesome car I have sitting in my driveway and how lucky I am not to have a car payment. One day I will replace my '96, but as far as I'm concerned its right up there with the new camry in terms of quality and ride. Way to go Toyota for building such an awesome car!"