1996 Toyota Camry

Based on 634 Ratings for the 1992 - 1996 models.

Perfect first car!

By on Wednesday, January 01, 2014

Pros: "Good gas mileage, easy to drive, great for kids"

Cons: "Door handles are cheap in and out"

"Perfect first car! I am 15 years old (permit in Florida) so my dad bought me a 1996 Toyota Camry LE 2.2 liter 4cyl sedan as my first car. He purchased it from a good friend and the first owner. The vehicle was from NY and the original owner moved to Florida since then. He purchased another vehicle and just never touched the Camry again! It sat COMPLETELY UNTOUCHED for 3 years in the roasting Florida weather. Of course the battery was flat, so my dad bought a $30 battery, threw it in, and by just connecting the battery it fired up no problem at all! My car has 236k miles, but all these cars need are regular maintenance and they will last a lifetime! Very safe and efficient vehicle. My car was equipped with a few aftermarket features such as remote keyless entry with remote start and a 12 disk cd player and head unit. This is the perfect first car because it doesn't have enough power to get you in trouble (130hp from the 2.2 4cyl) but plenty enough for day to day tasks. My car doesn't hesitate to start and runs and drives incredibly smooth despite the mileage. My only complaint is the design of the exhaust system, which can collect water very easily if you let it sit. It has been sitting in my driveway for 2 months now, but I run the car every day, however since you aren't moving and because the engine is idling, the exhaust has quite a lot of water in it now and when the car gets into operating temperature the exhaust spits a lot of water and a little steam is given off from the water evaporating."

this car is nice and the price is rely good for

By on Monday, April 22, 2013

I don't own this car

"this car is nice and the price in rely good for a car this old. It got great value i never seen a car look like this in my life!!!!!!!!"

My BEST Car Ever

By on Friday, April 12, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive, comfortable, room,pretty, nice car"

Cons: "Small inconveniences, no fog lights"

"I love it!!!! I still like it's looks. The upholstery is still good and it's comfortable. It has plenty of room and the back seat folds down for MORE room in the trunk. The radio is still great though the tape deck died a long time ago. (Didn't really use it anyway.) Every important thing is still in good working condition including Transmission, Engine, lights, brakes, cruise control, wipers, adjustable seat and steering column etc. The engine block would break the bolts that held it down several times but it was covered by the extended warranty. The handle has come off and the trunk lock is broken and my antenna motor is shot. I highly recommend the extended warranty for the little things and check ups."

Truly is Built to Last!

By on Monday, July 16, 2012

"I had bought the car used and it had about 138,000 miles on it. The (one) previous owner to the car stated that he only drove the car in town and tended to beat on it a little bit (fast accelerating, hard braking, etc). I had my mechanic check over EVERYTHING. He stated that no parts appeared over worn or needed replacement in the near future. At about 164,000 it was in a collision, which damaged the exhaust manifolds and broke the water pump, so coolant and oil would leak out. I was continually filling it with water and going through two quarts of oil a week. I was told to drive the car until it died, because I didn't have the money needed to fix it. I was told the engine would just up and die without warning. At 186,600 miles, I came into some money and really wanted to fix this car. I replaced all the gaskets, injectors, water pump, timing belt, and exhaust. I was told by the very same mechanic that I had another 200,000 miles left in this car. Really built to last. In other aspects of the car, I think the stock interior was very plain and simple, and would recommend custom seat covers and floor mats. The car has some serious get-up-and-go, and the braking system is very precise. The suspension needs a little work, however. BUT THIS IS STILL A REALLY NICE CAR!"

327299 AND STILL GOING

By on Thursday, May 17, 2012

Pros: "Long life, reliable"

Cons: "door handle, gas door wire"

"I bought my 92 for $500 in 2007. My first car! It had 250,000. The door handle was broke and I got it fixed for $50 at a local shop. The gas door wire got stuck and I broke the gas door off, bought a new one at pull-a-parts (they always have plenty of camrys). I drove this car 120 miles a day back in college and it never gave me any problems..450 miles a tank of gas back then!! I do have oil leaks and was told I will need my head gaskets replaced down the road, but for that many miles I would think it needs a little work. Im thinking of buying a new car and giving this one to my mom for a run-about-car. I know it will treat her well!!"