1996 Toyota Camry

Based on 628 Ratings for the 1992 - 1996 models.

Truly is Built to Last!

By on Monday, July 16, 2012

"I had bought the car used and it had about 138,000 miles on it. The (one) previous owner to the car stated that he only drove the car in town and tended to beat on it a little bit (fast accelerating, hard braking, etc). I had my mechanic check over EVERYTHING. He stated that no parts appeared over worn or needed replacement in the near future. At about 164,000 it was in a collision, which damaged the exhaust manifolds and broke the water pump, so coolant and oil would leak out. I was continually filling it with water and going through two quarts of oil a week. I was told to drive the car until it died, because I didn't have the money needed to fix it. I was told the engine would just up and die without warning. At 186,600 miles, I came into some money and really wanted to fix this car. I replaced all the gaskets, injectors, water pump, timing belt, and exhaust. I was told by the very same mechanic that I had another 200,000 miles left in this car. Really built to last. In other aspects of the car, I think the stock interior was very plain and simple, and would recommend custom seat covers and floor mats. The car has some serious get-up-and-go, and the braking system is very precise. The suspension needs a little work, however. BUT THIS IS STILL A REALLY NICE CAR!"

327299 AND STILL GOING

By on Thursday, May 17, 2012

Pros: "Long life, reliable"

Cons: "door handle, gas door wire"

"I bought my 92 for $500 in 2007. My first car! It had 250,000. The door handle was broke and I got it fixed for $50 at a local shop. The gas door wire got stuck and I broke the gas door off, bought a new one at pull-a-parts (they always have plenty of camrys). I drove this car 120 miles a day back in college and it never gave me any problems..450 miles a tank of gas back then!! I do have oil leaks and was told I will need my head gaskets replaced down the road, but for that many miles I would think it needs a little work. Im thinking of buying a new car and giving this one to my mom for a run-about-car. I know it will treat her well!!"

I LOVE MY OLD CAMRY!!

By on Thursday, October 27, 2011

Pros: "Extremely reliable and has the quickness you need!"

"I'm about to roll over 200,000 miles and it still acts like a new car!! You can't ask for more than that. I was never a fan of Toyota until I got my Camry. Its a great car with great gas mileage and great endurance. I'd say its easily one of the best cars I've owned!"

Love this Car!

By on Thursday, August 25, 2011

Pros: "VERY reliable, comfortable for long rides"

Cons: "tiny cup holders (only a can will fit)"

"I got this car with approx 200,000 miles on it, and didn't figure it would last me very long. Over three years later, it's still going strong! I am buying another one just like it!"

Late bloomer

By on Wednesday, October 03, 2007

"I bought my '96 with 102,000 miles. Replaced radiator, battery, pully seals, water pump, cv joints, engine mounts, and hard to diagnose misinstalled sprocket key which impaired timing, power, and shifting (long time figuring that one out!) Check engine light stayed on (harmless emission sensor). Very tire sensitive--tires can make or kill the ride. Shop them carefully! But finally perfected it at 215,000. Best car ever at that point. Then totaled it in an accident 4,000 miles later. Shopped for replacement camry, but lots of folks just want money for the name. After one year lucked into a '94 with 124,000, which passed muster. Previous owner had replaced radiator, battery, struts, brakes, engine mounts, belts. Engine sounds tight, and burns no oil at all. I had test driven about 20 NEW cars, and like this '94 better than anything I recall for the money ($3600). Also more fun to drive than '96."