2014 Toyota Avalon Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $28,655 - $29,754.

10/8.5

Based on 86 Ratings for the 2013 - 2014 models.

Reviews Displayed:  5 | 10 | 25
Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next

Cons: "Front end vibration at certain speeds."

"This is my 4th Avalon and the ride has been changed. It has a front end vibration which according to Toyota is a characteristic of the car. Toyota told me that they hoped that I would get used to it. Although all other aspects are good, I am not able to become accustomed and am in process of changing. Disappointed that Toyota and dealer did not stand behind product."

Good Car Not Great

By on Monday, April 07, 2014

Pros: "good lookin"

Cons: "RADIO, TIRES"

"I find the front seats uncomfortable. My single biggest dislike is the radio. You spend a decent amount of money for a "luxury car" and you are not offered sirius /internet radio..Please.. you can transfer numbers and contacts from a phone ( only certain phones). BUT , you CANNOT add names and phones directly into the radio. Very disapponted in radio all around... Sound for radio is fair. Had car for two months, no problems.NOt sure IO would buy this car again., need to more to determine"

Nice hybrid, but wanting in some features

By on Saturday, April 05, 2014

Pros: "Style & driveability"

Cons: "NAV = primitive, features hard to use or modify"

"NAV system is primitive compared to my five year old 5” TomTom™. There’s no 3D, there are no traffic light cameras and there is no display of current speed limits. Programming the NAV for the next destination is a tedious. In seven years the NAV system has moved ahead one year in its development [see below]. Further, the NAV system voice even at the lowest level #1 is much too loud; and there is no way to lower the volume, save disabling all sound. It is far louder than my 2007 Toyota Avalon Limited at sound level #1. There is a plastic chrome bezel around the instrument cluster. When sun hits the bezel, it is most distracting. Bought the hybrid and knew trunk was smaller than non-hybrid. Just so all are aware, one loses about 20% of trunk volume and depth. Can’t manually switch NAV system from daylight view to night time view and vice versa. Dealer team says that’s the way it is, Pressing various touch screen commands and tactile buttons causes a loud beep to emanate. The sound [beep] is too loud for my likes. But, no way to adjust the sound level of the beep. Dealer team says that’s the way it is…Ugly situation. One must reach behind and to the lower left of the steering wheel to reach any of the four buttons. One activates rear sun shade. There is no difference in tactile feel to the switches. So one must avert view of the road to press the correct switch. If one wears gloves it only exacerbates the issue. I mentioned this in written feedback to Toyota seven years. It’s nice to see that Toyota ignores the voice of the consumer. Dealer team says that’s the way it is…Ugly situation. For the right front passenger who might not be agile, it is more than a chore to reach the door handle to close the door. The “handle” is quite small and at a distance. For the right front passenger who might not be agile, it is a challenge to reach the door or to use the door to obtain purchase [assistance] in existing the vehicle. The “handle” is quite small and at a distance. Center console cup holders are rather shallow, less so than my departed 2007 Avalon. My 2007 Avalon had a DVD for instructions. The 2014 arrived with multiple “books” totaling in excess of 700 pages. And some pages are akin to term papers with “references” to other pages / books. This is a quite tedious learning process with a vehicle that has a myriad number of buttons, switches, etc Toyota does not make the manuals / guides available at its website. Downloading would allow easier searches for a keyword or item. Seats very comfortable. Hybrid mode is super."

overall great car

By on Sunday, March 16, 2014

Pros: "resale value fuel econ handling and visibility"

Cons: "remote start bridgestone tires"

"coming from a 2010 lacrosse the avalons drivers room is superior and visibilty much better.gas mileage about 32 hwy only complaints are the poor quality of the remote start systems range. dont expect more than 60'.ride and road noise comes from 18" rims and bridgestone tires."

Love this car!

By on Thursday, March 13, 2014

Pros: "Got a good deal on the price."

Cons: "The door has to be unlock before you open the gas"

"Great on gas , good ride!!"

great car but lots of road noise

By on Thursday, February 27, 2014

Pros: "Great looking inside and out"

Cons: "way too much road noise on the highway"

"This is a basic car but it is gorgeous inside and out. My only complaint, and to me it's huge, is there is a lot of road noise that comes into the cabin when you're on the highway. Totally my fault for not taking it on the highway to test it (only around town). I talked to the dealer about it and they said other Avalons were just as noisy when they compared them to mine. My gut tells me that Toyota really skimped on insulation for this car and if that is so, they just lost my business. I went from having a perfect 2004 Camry to what I hoped would be a step up, not two steps down."

high marks for comfort and room

By on Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Pros: "solid feel and stable ride"

Cons: "hands free mode can be touchy"

"smooth ride, but uninspired. blind spot warning is very vaulable. Not a fan of radar cruise control. Tremendous value. Last avalon lasted 197000 miles and no major problems. Traded in for new model at wifes request."

Places to Go - People to See

By on Sunday, February 16, 2014

Pros: "Just what I needed"

Cons: "Nothing worth noting."

"This is my "highway" car. Drove to NEPA Pocono Area with my electronic drums in the trunk. The July shakedown cruise to our yearly SummerJam proved the Avalon's capability. I tend to travel fast (above the speed limit) and got almost 30 MPG while feeling safe and in control. Love the transmission and the steering and despite what MT may say about "steering feedback" I didn't find that a negative since I didn't want a "sports car" or want to "feel the road". Spent almost three weeks driving around the N.E.P.A. area roads that I grew up driving on (I live in Tampa), these are what we call "driving! roads". Again, the car made it a blast - it went everywhere like it owned the road. Giants Despair Hill Climb road or Blue Ridge Parkway @ Shenandoah National Park. Day or night we (friends and family) had a blast just driving around and seeing "the old places". Paddle shifting was precise when used and the stereo performance with my iPod matched. (Sat radio? jury out.) Deer or possum attracted to the new car smell tried to jump aboard but the handling, brakes and headlights defeated them. THIS is just what I need in a car. I don't need to "make a statement" to anyone with the car I drive. I just need a car to carry my drums and wife safely to those people and places we love."

A great automobile

By on Monday, February 10, 2014

Pros: "good looks and a sporty ride"

Cons: "Cubbies should be lined to reduce noise frm items"

"After a rocky start with headliner issues, which have been corrected, I find the Avalon Ltd. to be a great vehicle with a very satisfactory resale vale. This automobile can compete with Mercedes and BMW in luxury, handling and style. I will definitely buy another one."

Just ONE of the best cars I've ever owned!

By on Saturday, February 01, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drives, handles like a much smaller auto..."

Cons: "Some of the shiny trim on the dash needs to go...."

"Had gone to the dealer to replace tires on my '09 Camry XLE & this '13 Magnetic Grey Limited was in the showroom & caught my eye. Test drove it & was immediately sold. This car handles great although if you're looking for the previous Avalon's plushy ride, it's definitely not here, it's a firm but solid ride, even quite more firmer than my '09 Camry. The seats are oversized, comfortable & have 3 cooling and 3 heating temperatures, a blessing when the weather turns really cold. The Limited is loaded with x-tras that really enhance the overall experience driving this auto. I like the auto headlight dimmers, Bluetooth, fantastic stereo, GPS, backup camera clear and fast to respond, auto wipers, etc., etc. Safety features such as lane departure warning, backup, side & rear & front impact warnings are spot on (I've tried all the warning systems & they are spot-on. Also, believe it or not, my insurance rate has dropped considerably over the '09 Camry because of all the safety features. Dollar for dollar, this is the best auto you can buy in today's market. I have over 2k miles and am looking forward to many more happy miles."

2013 Avalon Hybrid

By on Friday, January 31, 2014

Pros: "gas milage, roomy, performance, blind spot monitor"

Cons: "can't think of any"

"I have been a GM man all my life up until the Government bailed them out. And we lost Pontiac. I decided to try a Toyota Avalon Hybrid. I purchased it in Nov 2013 and have only driven it in winter.and only in town with one trip which I got over 40mpg. With leaving the car run a lot this winter because of brutal cold we have had and as my wife runs into the grocery store I'm still getting over 35mpg and that is checking by the actual gas I use, not the gage that tells you the amount, it is off by about 1 to 2 mpg. I really like this car its roomy and comfortable Memory seats are a plus for two drivers. I really like the sport mode because it makes the car feel like a 6cyl it surprised me when I used it for the first time, I like fast cars any way, so to have a hybrid that accelerate like does is a big plus. Now if you have four adults in the car in sport mode it does not perform like when i'm alone. I chose the Avalon over the Camry because of the trunk room and overall features. Love the blind spot monitors and back up camera. My wife had a hard time backing up a long drive way, now with a backup camera she does it like a pro."

My 5th Toyota/Lexus product

By on Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Pros: "Great price--end of year--I like the drive--quiet"

Cons: "dash controls sometimes too sensitive"

"I was able to buy a 2013 Avalon Hybrid Limited in November, 2013 during the yearly changeover with what I thought was an incredible discount, and I got 5 yrs 0% interest financing through Toyota. They do this during the end of the model year. I went with the 2013 instead of the 2014 since minimal changes were going to occur, and like I said, there was an incredible discount online without having to haggle at my dealership! This car is the most luxurious Toyota product I have owned-even more than my older Lexus ES300. The previous Avalons had that "my Grandfather's Buick" look, but this is a totally different animal, because I would not have gone for the older models. I saw the negative reviews about the dash glare, and yes I noticed it initially, but that has gone away as I have gotten used to the car. And, I was shocked to find out my car insurance actually went down due to the new safety features! The new backup camera with parking guide grid and beeping if car is coming by is great. Get that if you go for one. We have had some very cold weather lately here, and I have noticed the hybrid batteries don't like that, so mileage is not as good in the hard winter and probably will be during the hot summer as my previous 2010 Camry Hybrid had the same issues. But, I even on bad days, my lowest mileage is still above 30 mpg. And I have a lead foot on the accelerator. So, yeah, it would fun to have a BMW, another Lexus, Audi, etc, but I look at what I want. I want a car that will start without issues, and nice to my butt as I drive it. Also, this car, so far, has been so good to my wallet--probably $20 grand lower than an Audi or BMW with same equipment. But, if you are a true hard loving sport driving, hard seats person, probably not the car for you. I love mine, though :-)"

Really like this car

By on Monday, January 13, 2014

Pros: "Very fun to drive, very attractive up to date"

Cons: "New model contains some bugs that need to be fixed"

"This is my third Avalon, and by far the best one for: Handling: handles way better than the old Avalons, which were soft on the turns. This car hugs the road and flies through the esses. I just love driving it, as it makes the heart pump. I drive a little too fast, so I need a car that handles well. Electronics: Awesome set of goodies, especially the radar cruise, which I will not be without ever again. The Entune system needs a little work, especially the voice recognition feature, but I love being able to play internet music, my ipod, and my phone via Bluetooth. Comfort: The seats are harder than the old Avalon, part of the sportier ride package, but they are still comfortable enough, and I love the heated and cooled seats, and the memory function. I like the way the seat moves back to facilitate exit/entry then returns to the last position set. Bugs: There are a few, like the issue with the drivers seat back panel coming loose. Any time you get the first year of a new model you expect some bugs."

Awesome Car

By on Thursday, January 02, 2014

Pros: "Very Quiet, Comfortable, Roomy, Smooth Ride"

"I purchased the 2013 Limited in the Moulin Rouge(Dark Red)color in Oct 2013. I have had numerous compliments on the car and color. I was driving the Lexus ES330, which was a fanastic car and hated to depart with it. This was a hard choice between the Avalon and the Lexus ES350. I thought i would give the Avalon a try, and I have been very impressed and please with this car."

There is a lot to love about this car but!

By on Friday, December 27, 2013

Pros: "Very nice car with impressive interior."

Cons: "Harsh ride and bad tires on certain road condition"

"The design, the tech, and the interior is top notch. I have a 2013 with the tech pkg. I love the radar cruise. Is it worth the money? Yes but it should cost less. The Auto high beams do not work as expected. They turn off when you least want them to. My biggest complaint about this car is the ride when you go over expansion joints on the highway and poor performance of the stock Bridgestone tires. They are noisy, they hydroplane in heavy rain and are not good in ice and snow. They are some off brand called Turanza EL400. Previous owners of the Avalon will not like the ride. Toyota tightened up the ride but I think they missed the target with the correct options. They should, but you will not see a major redesign until 2016. It is the cost tooling. Please remember that this car was Designed in CA. Engineered in MI. and built in Tenn. So don't blame Toyota Japan. This is a very good car but it could have been much better. I have had a few factory recalls that did not go well but I blame my dealer more than Toyota. This should not happen when you buy the top of the line car but you also have to expect some defects on a newly redesigned car. I hope my input has helped readers. Once the recalls have been repaired, this is a very good car with a great resale value. Thanks, John"

first class driving experience

By on Saturday, December 21, 2013

Pros: "drive, gas mileage, comfort, responsiveness"

"I bought this to replace a 2013 Avalon touring. that vehicle was a wonderful car and it protected us in a 60mph crash with a deer. We are very impressed with the Avalon and thoroughly enjoy driving it."

Cons: "Sun reflections are terrible at times."

"Sun reflection is terrible from the dash board above the steering wheel. Also, reflection is bad in viewing the navigational screen. Night time is great. There is too much tilt to the screen. Also, for a person who is taller, the middle console intrudes too much with your right leg while driving. I am 6'00'' and my right knee is not able to relax because of the console. As far as car performance, I have no complaints."

Cons: "Sun reflections are terrible at times."

I'm so disgusted with it, I'm selling it

By on Monday, October 21, 2013

Cons: "Entune"

"A very attractive hybrid with good mileage but it's completely spoiled for me because of the Entune system that's suppose to give you Bluetooth access to various apps. I was sold on being able to use Pandora (an Internet radio that lets you choose your own music) but I found out the hard way that Entune seldom works for anyone. It particularly didn't work for me because although the dealer told me it was compatible with my cellphone (the Bluetooth connection), it isn't. After many unsuccessful trips back to the dealer to get it fixed I found this out myself by talking to Toyota directly and learning that the phone-compatibly information was online and the dealer should have known about the problem. The dealer doesn't seem to care and will make no compensation, so I'm going to sell the car and get something I can enjoy."

Best handling car I have ever driven.

By on Friday, September 13, 2013

Pros: "Great Car, great value"

Cons: "No cons to list"

"I average 30k miles per year and have owned Acura TL's, Audi's and this is the best handling car I have ever driven. It is a true luxury sports sedan. I purchased the 2013 XLE Premium trim and love driving this car. You can feel the quality inside and out. The power seat lumbar/adjustments provide a wide range of positions so you can get the ideal position for optimum comfort. Great car, great value."

Reviews Displayed:  5 | 10 | 25