2014 Toyota Avalon Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $28,490 - $29,668.

10/8.5

Based on 118 Ratings for the 2013 - 2015 models.

Excellent Value and Comfort

By on Thursday, December 18, 2014

Pros: "Price, Interior, Gadgets, Driveability, Quiet, Fun"

Cons: "Exterior could have looked better."

"At first glance, I didn't care for the exterior styling. But, once I sat inside, it definitely grabbed my attention. After a test drive, I was sold! I compared the Avalon to a Maxima, Camry, and MKZ. The Avalon just had a higher level of comfort, build quality, and space. The others just had a "cheap" plastic feel about them. Not wanting to show off in a Lexus, this was a Lexus in Toyota badging and pricing."

A very good driving car, but with poor ride.

By on Tuesday, December 09, 2014

Pros: "power train, mileage, navigation, features, room"

Cons: "ride, front seat comfort"

"I have owned two previous models of the Avalon, and been extremely happy with both. I was initially drawn to the 1st Avalon because of the interior room and price for the features available - I have bought the top of the line in each case. Toyota has substantially improved the road handling of my 2013 over previous models, but at the expense of driving comfort. The ride is very harsh, and the front seats are very hard for distance travel. The dealer was unable to offer any suggestions for improvement. I contacted an upholstery shop which installed additional padding in the seat. This helped, but does nothing for the harsh ride. We also bought a new RAV4 Limited shortly after we bought the Avalon, and it has more miles on it than the Avalon simple because it rides better. I am very pleased with the Avalon's drive train performance, mileage, luxury features, navigation,room, and handling, but due to the ride, it has been primarily driven locally."

High-tech meets understated luxury

By on Saturday, November 22, 2014

Pros: "Great gas mileage, hi-tech comfort and convenience"

Cons: "No folding rear-seat or pass through"

"A short time ago I would have scoffed at the idea of owning a Toyota Avalon decades before retirement. And then came the new generation Avalon. I had been looking at the Lexus ES 300h but didn’t want to pay the “status” premium. The 2014 Avalon Hybrid Limited has many of the same high-tech comfort and convenience features found in a luxury sedan but is wrapped in a fluid-dynamic body that looks more like a sports sedan than a family sedan. The Avalon is a big car but strikes a good balance between handling and ride. The Avalon’s hybrid synergy drive is no V-6 but accelerates the car well enough to merge or overtake slower vehicles at highway speeds. Transmission gear shifting has been eliminated by the ECVT resulting in a smooth, linear acceleration. The hybrid synergy drive seamlessly switches between gas and electric modes as though it were a single power source and the regenerative brakes are easy to modulate. I am most impressed by the gas mileage the hybrid delivers for a full size sedan; I average between 38 and 41 MPG. Fit and finish is top notch and the ride is very quiet except for an occasional annoying vibration coming from the dashboard when traveling over concrete or rough pavement. Overall, I am very satisfied with the 2014 Avalon Hybrid and my daily commute is much more tolerable and at times even made fun by seeing how long the Avalon will cruise in electric mode."

Many design flaws. Not a comfortable riding car.

By on Thursday, November 06, 2014

Pros: "Good gas mileage."

Cons: "Uncomfortable and poorly designed."

"Outside temperature display difficult to see. Numbers are too small and too dim. Instrument displays are at too much of an angle. Angle of windshield over displays totally washes out display when the sun shines. Reflection of dashboard in side view mirrors is distracting when sun shines. Rear window screen edge in down position is black while rear window deck is tan. When sun shines, all you can see is a black bar across the entire rear window. Gas guage is very difficult to read as the display is very faint. Analog speedometer and digital speedometer don't match. There is a two to three mile per hour difference. At higher speeds, you don't really know how fast you are going. Seats are thinly padded and very uncomfortable when driving any distance."

Just a great hybrid car, roomy, comfortable, quiet

By on Monday, November 03, 2014

Pros: "Comfortable to drive, easel on fuel."

Cons: "Center console is located too far back"

"I would buy this car again."

Tops my 3 favorite cars I've owned

By on Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive & great adaptive cruise control"

Cons: "Low tire warning doesn't say which tire low"

"Better Than my Lexus GS's or Jaguar. No slouch in acceleration just don't mash the accelerator in sport and she is FAST! Great fuel economy my best tank 48.3 mpg. Spacious and comfortable on daily commute and 600 mile trips without refueling stops. The AC is magical cooling instantly when you push the start button. Back seat legroom is incredible as are back door openings. Comfortable ride but well put together no floater here. The Moulon Rouge Mica color turns heads everywhere."

12 volt battery keeps dying

By on Monday, October 27, 2014

Pros: "mileage, cost, comfort"

Cons: "12 volt battery is weak!"

"I like my 2014 Avalon Hybrid very much overall. But there's just one problem: the 12 volt battery keeps dying when I park the car for 4 or 5 days. I try to start it and the battery is dead. Called AAA a few times, took it to the dealer 5 times and left the car up to a week. One time they replaced the battery. Otherwise they say no problem: a lot of their cars have dead batteries after a few days. Finally bought a portable charger battery pack and use it whenever I need a boost. Other than that the car is great and mileage is awesome."

Great car with an ugly front grill.

By on Sunday, October 26, 2014

I don't own this car

Pros: "Toyota quality; great ride; good value."

Cons: "A sense of style is lost."

"The new "bold" Toyota designs are obviously targeted to a younger demographic. Unfortunately, these large mouth grills are just not resonating with this audience. Following the move to a more aggressive design on the Lexus with its sharper angles, the Toyota Avalon designers decided to adopt an overly exaggerated grill. As a prior owner of four Toyota Camry which were all excellent cars, I was looking to step up to the Avalon this year. Looks like I'll need to hold off a couple years until Toyota's designers come to their senses."

Fun to drive!

By on Monday, October 20, 2014

Pros: "Very fun on the curves."

Cons: "A little rough due to the tight suspension."

"This new Avalon is more fun to drive, by far, than previous versions. It's not your grandpa's Avalon. The handling is crisp and smooth, but the ride is a little rougher than our 2005 and 2000 versions. It is a comfortable car, ours is fully equipped so we have all the tech stuff and the radar cruise, which is awesome. It's a great car, but they can still tweak it which I know Toyota will."

Very good car

By on Sunday, October 05, 2014

"This is a very good car. If you can go with Limited trim because the price difference is not huge but you get a lot of good stuff. The only inconvenience in this car is that back seats do not recline so you will not be able to fit bigger stuff into your trunk"