2009 Toyota Avalon

Based on 552 Ratings for the 2005 - 2012 models.

Great car for the $

By on Wednesday, September 24, 2008

"I needed a new car after 10 years with my Infiniti. I'm not spending (and cannot spend) $53,000 (M-35) or even $40k+ (G-35) for the smaller Infiniti. So I drove the 4 and 6 cylinder Hyundai Sonatas, Toyota Camrys, and Honda Accords, and the 6 cylinder Avalon. The Honda was a little rough in the ride, but a nice car (I already own an Odyssey and love it). The Sonata was ok, about a 6 on a scale of 1 to 10 to drive. I found that for my family, I need a bigger car, or I w/h bought a loaded Camry. The Avalon has the smoothest suspension and plenty of amenities; it seems as if it's on a Lexus LS platform, without the price or quite the cache-- but also without the premium gas requirement. This car averaged over 30 miles per gallon on my first highway drive, and overall is averaging about 24.5 miles per gallon in mixed city and highway driving. The JBL 12 speaker stereo is very nice (not like the Bose system in the 1999 Infiniti, but nothing is like that, including the newer Bose systems in the Maxima and Infinitis!). I highly recommend this car-- a ton of space in the rear seating area and the trunk, and it glides over bumps and cruises nicely. You trade a little performance, but I'm ready for a smoother ride and a softer suspension. It's about as big as the big Lexus, the Mercedes S or the BMW 7 series, but without the expense and headaches. Probably the most luxorious non- Lexus, Infiniti, BMW or Mercedes out there, for a fraction of the cost."

Avalon is tops

By on Monday, July 09, 2007

"The 2006 Toyota Avalon is a world class vehicle. Avalon is no longer a midsize vehicle but rather a full size automobile...it's 197.2 inches long, yet has a turning radius of a much smaller car. My son is 6 ft. 3 in., and can sit in the back seat without his knees touching the back of the front seat. That's how roomy this car is! Performance is as good as any car on the road...the Avalon will go from 0 to 40 faster than most cars...that means when you're at a redlight, you don't have to sweat beating another car off the line if you need to get over in front of them to change lanes. But, the fuel economy on this car is what really sets it apart from its competitors...despite having a 3.5Liter, 268HP power plant, the car is rated at 31mpg highway. It will get that and more...recently, i drove from Macon, GA, to Nashville on a full tank of gas and got 32mpg by the time i got to my home in Nashville, traveling over I-75 and I-24 at an average speed of 72mph. The most i've ever gotten out of it is 39mpg on a freshly filled tank over a 5 mile stretch of flat road traveling 42mph...so yes, the car can attain better than 31mpg under the right conditions."

Amazing.... Best car Ive ever owned.

By on Saturday, November 23, 2013

Pros: "Big, fast, smooth, good mileage"

Cons: "Factory paint chips easily."

"I bought my 2006 Avalon XLS new in 2006. Since that time I have put 272,000 near troublefree miles on the car. I changed the oil myself every 4 to 5 thousand miles. I had one coilpack go out at 150,000. The alternator went out at 262,000. Besides those two things this car has needed nothing but oil changes, tires, and brake pads and a battery. i did have the oil line recall done although mine never leaked. The ac is as cold as day one. Amazing....."

600+ miles/wk, 31 mpg, comfortable & reliable

By on Friday, July 26, 2013

"Bought new; affordable luxury. Commute over 600 miles/week averaging 31 mpg. Stable handling, quick pickup, plenty of reserve power, laser cruise works flawlessly. Smooth and quiet ride, comfortable cabin environment, large back seat (easily seats 3 adults). Reliable vehicle with only routine maintenance throughout over 83 K miles."

my 2nd Avalon

By on Friday, April 10, 2015

Pros: "quiet, comfortable for long trips, great value"

Cons: "wind & road noise could be better"

"I am in my 70's and have had several new cars. I have had a Avalon 2005 and put 127,000 on it before selling it myself in one day and currently have a 2011 with 41,000 miles. Never a problem with either and I will be getting a 2015 or 2016 soon. The Avalon is the best overall car I have ever had. economical, very dependable & comfortable, very little depreciation. For us it is a prefect car."

This is my favorite vehicle

By on Thursday, December 13, 2012

Pros: "comfortable,fun to drive,really takes off !"

"I have had more cars then most people have had hot meals.My 2007 Avalon is the most dependable,comfortable car I have ever had.Purchased used in 2010.I plan on keeping it as long as possible.I love everything about it.Especiaaly the ride comfort and the power of the engine.On the open road I have gotten 34 mpg.Around the city 24-26 mpg."

Completely Reliable

By on Saturday, July 21, 2012

Pros: "Reliable and comfortable."

Cons: "Transmits road noise on highway to cabin."

"I drive this car every day in all weather. In the winter I change to 4 snow tires. The car looks brand new. It is the most comfortable car I have ever owned. I have faithfully done routine maintenance, bought new tires in a timely fashion, and just installed new brakes for the second time (not bad at 180,000 miles). The dealer has done all my work. They routinely drive me from the dealership to my job and pick me up later. So far I have needed no additional work. I wish the car were quieter on the highway. It transmits road noise to the cabin. Summer mileage 28 mpg. Winter mileage 26 mpg. My goal: take it to 400,000 miles! Wish me luck."

Best vehicle I have ever owned.

By on Monday, May 07, 2012

Pros: "Comfortable, luxurious, attractive"

Cons: "Lacked some Limited features"

"We love all of the features. Bought used with 14,000 miles. Would like to have Limited version, but XLS is great."

2002 AVALON WAS BETTEr

By on Wednesday, February 25, 2009

"This is my second Avalon. I had a 2002 XL that I traded in for a 2007 XLS. There are times that I wish I had the 2002 back. The 2007 is a great road car and mileage is close to 30 MPG on long trips. It is comfortable and quiet. However, the 2002 was much quieter. My main issue with the 2007 is the engine clatters and knocks on cold start. This goes away after it gets warm but is extreme in cold weather. The dealer and area rep says this is ok and it will not hurt. I don't believe it. No engine should knock and clatter like it does. They say it is the short piston skirts. Go figure. I am hoping it blows before the warranty runs out. The other downside is the paint. Everything chips it and it has white undercoat on a red car. So every paint chip shows like a neon sign. I think they went cheap on paint in 2007. My 2002, same color, did not do this at all. I like riding in and driving the car but hate the engine clattering and banging. If the engine did not clatter and knock it would be the car of my dreams for serious road trips. It has 30,000 in 18 months."

Best vehicle I've ever bought.

By on Saturday, December 13, 2008

"I've owned a Cadillac Deville, Lexus 350, Buick Park Avenue, Kia Amanti, Pontiac Bonneville, Infiniti Q-45 (2), Chrlsyer LHS, Nissan Maxima and the Toyota Avalon is by far the best vehicle I've eve owned. It's so quite you can't hear the engine running. I have gotten 33 MPG numerous times on trips. The interior is very roomy, especially the back seat. I would recommend it over any car except the new Hyundai Genesis. I think Hyundai has hit a home run on the Genesis."