2006 Toyota Avalon

Based on 540 Ratings for the 2005 - 2012 models.

Great car for the $

By on Wednesday, September 24, 2008

"I needed a new car after 10 years with my Infiniti. I'm not spending (and cannot spend) $53,000 (M-35) or even $40k+ (G-35) for the smaller Infiniti. So I drove the 4 and 6 cylinder Hyundai Sonatas, Toyota Camrys, and Honda Accords, and the 6 cylinder Avalon. The Honda was a little rough in the ride, but a nice car (I already own an Odyssey and love it). The Sonata was ok, about a 6 on a scale of 1 to 10 to drive. I found that for my family, I need a bigger car, or I w/h bought a loaded Camry. The Avalon has the smoothest suspension and plenty of amenities; it seems as if it's on a Lexus LS platform, without the price or quite the cache-- but also without the premium gas requirement. This car averaged over 30 miles per gallon on my first highway drive, and overall is averaging about 24.5 miles per gallon in mixed city and highway driving. The JBL 12 speaker stereo is very nice (not like the Bose system in the 1999 Infiniti, but nothing is like that, including the newer Bose systems in the Maxima and Infinitis!). I highly recommend this car-- a ton of space in the rear seating area and the trunk, and it glides over bumps and cruises nicely. You trade a little performance, but I'm ready for a smoother ride and a softer suspension. It's about as big as the big Lexus, the Mercedes S or the BMW 7 series, but without the expense and headaches. Probably the most luxorious non- Lexus, Infiniti, BMW or Mercedes out there, for a fraction of the cost."

Avalon is tops

By on Monday, July 09, 2007

"The 2006 Toyota Avalon is a world class vehicle. Avalon is no longer a midsize vehicle but rather a full size automobile...it's 197.2 inches long, yet has a turning radius of a much smaller car. My son is 6 ft. 3 in., and can sit in the back seat without his knees touching the back of the front seat. That's how roomy this car is! Performance is as good as any car on the road...the Avalon will go from 0 to 40 faster than most cars...that means when you're at a redlight, you don't have to sweat beating another car off the line if you need to get over in front of them to change lanes. But, the fuel economy on this car is what really sets it apart from its competitors...despite having a 3.5Liter, 268HP power plant, the car is rated at 31mpg highway. It will get that and more...recently, i drove from Macon, GA, to Nashville on a full tank of gas and got 32mpg by the time i got to my home in Nashville, traveling over I-75 and I-24 at an average speed of 72mph. The most i've ever gotten out of it is 39mpg on a freshly filled tank over a 5 mile stretch of flat road traveling 42mph...so yes, the car can attain better than 31mpg under the right conditions."

Excellent car to be comfortable while driving.

By on Sunday, December 16, 2012

Pros: "Comfortable seats & leg room front and rear"

Cons: "No sports car feel"

"This was the lowest price car I could find with seats that suite my upper back problems, my wife's lower back problems, and hip joint issues. An almost straight back cushion, lumbar support adjustable to zero in both front seats, and a soft seat bottom cushion. The steering has little feel and the passengers are isolated from the road. The fitting of overlapping carpet sections is less than perfect, what I would expect in a Camry rather than an Avalon. The climate controls, navigation, and sound system require my eyes to be off the road too long, so I often ask my passenger to operate these functions. I get 32 MPG on the highway driving the speed limit. I get 36 mpg at 55 mph."

Amazing.... Best car Ive ever owned.

By on Saturday, November 23, 2013

Pros: "Big, fast, smooth, good mileage"

Cons: "Factory paint chips easily."

"I bought my 2006 Avalon XLS new in 2006. Since that time I have put 272,000 near troublefree miles on the car. I changed the oil myself every 4 to 5 thousand miles. I had one coilpack go out at 150,000. The alternator went out at 262,000. Besides those two things this car has needed nothing but oil changes, tires, and brake pads and a battery. i did have the oil line recall done although mine never leaked. The ac is as cold as day one. Amazing....."

Saved me from serious injury!

By on Thursday, January 02, 2014

Pros: "Love driving it, grateful for safety features."

"Have owned 3 Avalon's, driven two over 200,000 miles, and loved them all. Sadly, the last one, 2006 XLS, was demolished with me in it as I was rear ended and pushed into another car. Knee and steering wheel air bags worked flawlessly, and although front and rear of car were demolished the perimeter of passenger area did not move. No significant whip lash as head rest worked, and seat belt held me REALLY tight. I'm now looking for my 4th Avalon!"