2005 Toyota Avalon

Based on 540 Ratings for the 2005 - 2012 models.

Great car for the $

By on Wednesday, September 24, 2008

"I needed a new car after 10 years with my Infiniti. I'm not spending (and cannot spend) $53,000 (M-35) or even $40k+ (G-35) for the smaller Infiniti. So I drove the 4 and 6 cylinder Hyundai Sonatas, Toyota Camrys, and Honda Accords, and the 6 cylinder Avalon. The Honda was a little rough in the ride, but a nice car (I already own an Odyssey and love it). The Sonata was ok, about a 6 on a scale of 1 to 10 to drive. I found that for my family, I need a bigger car, or I w/h bought a loaded Camry. The Avalon has the smoothest suspension and plenty of amenities; it seems as if it's on a Lexus LS platform, without the price or quite the cache-- but also without the premium gas requirement. This car averaged over 30 miles per gallon on my first highway drive, and overall is averaging about 24.5 miles per gallon in mixed city and highway driving. The JBL 12 speaker stereo is very nice (not like the Bose system in the 1999 Infiniti, but nothing is like that, including the newer Bose systems in the Maxima and Infinitis!). I highly recommend this car-- a ton of space in the rear seating area and the trunk, and it glides over bumps and cruises nicely. You trade a little performance, but I'm ready for a smoother ride and a softer suspension. It's about as big as the big Lexus, the Mercedes S or the BMW 7 series, but without the expense and headaches. Probably the most luxorious non- Lexus, Infiniti, BMW or Mercedes out there, for a fraction of the cost."

Avalon is tops

By on Monday, July 09, 2007

"The 2006 Toyota Avalon is a world class vehicle. Avalon is no longer a midsize vehicle but rather a full size automobile...it's 197.2 inches long, yet has a turning radius of a much smaller car. My son is 6 ft. 3 in., and can sit in the back seat without his knees touching the back of the front seat. That's how roomy this car is! Performance is as good as any car on the road...the Avalon will go from 0 to 40 faster than most cars...that means when you're at a redlight, you don't have to sweat beating another car off the line if you need to get over in front of them to change lanes. But, the fuel economy on this car is what really sets it apart from its competitors...despite having a 3.5Liter, 268HP power plant, the car is rated at 31mpg highway. It will get that and more...recently, i drove from Macon, GA, to Nashville on a full tank of gas and got 32mpg by the time i got to my home in Nashville, traveling over I-75 and I-24 at an average speed of 72mph. The most i've ever gotten out of it is 39mpg on a freshly filled tank over a 5 mile stretch of flat road traveling 42mph...so yes, the car can attain better than 31mpg under the right conditions."

Excellent car to be comfortable while driving.

By on Sunday, December 16, 2012

Pros: "Comfortable seats & leg room front and rear"

Cons: "No sports car feel"

"This was the lowest price car I could find with seats that suite my upper back problems, my wife's lower back problems, and hip joint issues. An almost straight back cushion, lumbar support adjustable to zero in both front seats, and a soft seat bottom cushion. The steering has little feel and the passengers are isolated from the road. The fitting of overlapping carpet sections is less than perfect, what I would expect in a Camry rather than an Avalon. The climate controls, navigation, and sound system require my eyes to be off the road too long, so I often ask my passenger to operate these functions. I get 32 MPG on the highway driving the speed limit. I get 36 mpg at 55 mph."

Amazing.... Best car Ive ever owned.

By on Saturday, November 23, 2013

Pros: "Big, fast, smooth, good mileage"

Cons: "Factory paint chips easily."

"I bought my 2006 Avalon XLS new in 2006. Since that time I have put 272,000 near troublefree miles on the car. I changed the oil myself every 4 to 5 thousand miles. I had one coilpack go out at 150,000. The alternator went out at 262,000. Besides those two things this car has needed nothing but oil changes, tires, and brake pads and a battery. i did have the oil line recall done although mine never leaked. The ac is as cold as day one. Amazing....."

Saved me from serious injury!

By on Thursday, January 02, 2014

Pros: "Love driving it, grateful for safety features."

"Have owned 3 Avalon's, driven two over 200,000 miles, and loved them all. Sadly, the last one, 2006 XLS, was demolished with me in it as I was rear ended and pushed into another car. Knee and steering wheel air bags worked flawlessly, and although front and rear of car were demolished the perimeter of passenger area did not move. No significant whip lash as head rest worked, and seat belt held me REALLY tight. I'm now looking for my 4th Avalon!"

600+ miles/wk, 31 mpg, comfortable & reliable

By on Friday, July 26, 2013

"Bought new; affordable luxury. Commute over 600 miles/week averaging 31 mpg. Stable handling, quick pickup, plenty of reserve power, laser cruise works flawlessly. Smooth and quiet ride, comfortable cabin environment, large back seat (easily seats 3 adults). Reliable vehicle with only routine maintenance throughout over 83 K miles."

This is my favorite vehicle

By on Thursday, December 13, 2012

Pros: "comfortable,fun to drive,really takes off !"

"I have had more cars then most people have had hot meals.My 2007 Avalon is the most dependable,comfortable car I have ever had.Purchased used in 2010.I plan on keeping it as long as possible.I love everything about it.Especiaaly the ride comfort and the power of the engine.On the open road I have gotten 34 mpg.Around the city 24-26 mpg."

Completely Reliable

By on Saturday, July 21, 2012

Pros: "Reliable and comfortable."

Cons: "Transmits road noise on highway to cabin."

"I drive this car every day in all weather. In the winter I change to 4 snow tires. The car looks brand new. It is the most comfortable car I have ever owned. I have faithfully done routine maintenance, bought new tires in a timely fashion, and just installed new brakes for the second time (not bad at 180,000 miles). The dealer has done all my work. They routinely drive me from the dealership to my job and pick me up later. So far I have needed no additional work. I wish the car were quieter on the highway. It transmits road noise to the cabin. Summer mileage 28 mpg. Winter mileage 26 mpg. My goal: take it to 400,000 miles! Wish me luck."

Best vehicle I have ever owned.

By on Monday, May 07, 2012

Pros: "Comfortable, luxurious, attractive"

Cons: "Lacked some Limited features"

"We love all of the features. Bought used with 14,000 miles. Would like to have Limited version, but XLS is great."

Worst engineered car ever

By on Friday, September 04, 2009

"Nav system is the worst. It locks up, can't find addresses, voice command is a total waste and does not work. Top molding falls off in a car wash. The 6 speed transmission flops, hesitates and, if you need to accel on a freeway you'll get a long pause while the transmission tries to decide what gear to be in."

2002 AVALON WAS BETTEr

By on Wednesday, February 25, 2009

"This is my second Avalon. I had a 2002 XL that I traded in for a 2007 XLS. There are times that I wish I had the 2002 back. The 2007 is a great road car and mileage is close to 30 MPG on long trips. It is comfortable and quiet. However, the 2002 was much quieter. My main issue with the 2007 is the engine clatters and knocks on cold start. This goes away after it gets warm but is extreme in cold weather. The dealer and area rep says this is ok and it will not hurt. I don't believe it. No engine should knock and clatter like it does. They say it is the short piston skirts. Go figure. I am hoping it blows before the warranty runs out. The other downside is the paint. Everything chips it and it has white undercoat on a red car. So every paint chip shows like a neon sign. I think they went cheap on paint in 2007. My 2002, same color, did not do this at all. I like riding in and driving the car but hate the engine clattering and banging. If the engine did not clatter and knock it would be the car of my dreams for serious road trips. It has 30,000 in 18 months."

Best vehicle I've ever bought.

By on Saturday, December 13, 2008

"I've owned a Cadillac Deville, Lexus 350, Buick Park Avenue, Kia Amanti, Pontiac Bonneville, Infiniti Q-45 (2), Chrlsyer LHS, Nissan Maxima and the Toyota Avalon is by far the best vehicle I've eve owned. It's so quite you can't hear the engine running. I have gotten 33 MPG numerous times on trips. The interior is very roomy, especially the back seat. I would recommend it over any car except the new Hyundai Genesis. I think Hyundai has hit a home run on the Genesis."

my 2nd Avalon

By on Friday, April 10, 2015

Pros: "quiet, comfortable for long trips, great value"

Cons: "wind & road noise could be better"

"I am in my 70's and have had several new cars. I have had a Avalon 2005 and put 127,000 on it before selling it myself in one day and currently have a 2011 with 41,000 miles. Never a problem with either and I will be getting a 2015 or 2016 soon. The Avalon is the best overall car I have ever had. economical, very dependable & comfortable, very little depreciation. For us it is a prefect car."

Sweet Ride

By on Monday, August 18, 2014

Pros: "Luxurious drive for the price"

Cons: "A lttle plain looking"

"Actually had rented a few while travelling and became really attracted to the brand. Had had a Lexus 350 a few years before and the similarities are astonishing - the car is a great value for the features"

Excellent workmanship,

By on Sunday, August 26, 2012

Pros: "Good gas mileage and very comforatble ride."

Cons: "Somewhat difficult to see when backing."

"Car gets over 30 MPG on the highway with a very powerful V6 engine. Excellent acceleration and it's very roomy on the inside. The back seat offers much more room than comparable sedans. A/C is very good in the summer heat and it has good visibility all around. Body is tight and there is little road noise."

INCREDIBLE VALUE and RELIABILITY

By on Saturday, November 15, 2008

"I bought this car when I was 40, coming out of several Corvettes and a Viper. I only found out later that the average age buyer of the Avalon is 62!! I didn't care. What a GREAT car. It is big, fast, smooth, and RELIABLE. I have been averaging over 26 miles per gallon with this car and NOT ONE single mechanical problem. I have put 95,000 miles on it in two and a half years. I have changed the oil consistently every 4,000 miles. This car still feels and drives like it did with 5 miles on it. The Toyota 3.5 variable timing motor is probably the smoothest most efficient six out there. Ive driven a G35, it feels the same performance wise but the motor is just thrashier and it wont get the same mileage as the Toyota. If front wheel drive doesnt bother you, buy the avalon..The only complaint I have is the paint chips a little too easily."

Amazing Vehicle

By on Monday, November 10, 2008

"In 07 was looking to upgrade from 03 Camry XLE, checked out the Lexus ES350, Really liked the car, didn't like the High Test Gas. Went and drove the Avalon and my wife and I fell in love with a 07 Sea Pine XLS. Checked out a Buick Lucerne, Hyundia Azera, Caddy, Accura, of which none came even close to matching the Avalon in all around compairson. Mileage is great, on a trip of 270 miles on an Intersate, cruise set at 72, averaged over 35 mpg, Running around town 26-28 MPG. Problems: Transmission, The engine spooled before shifting between 2nd and 3rd. Dealer reprogramed the computer fixed the problem, One Front Brake Roter warped, agin dealer fixed the problem. I don't have enough space to extol all the virtues of this vehicle. Would I buy another? As Palin would say "YOU BET-YA" Can't wait to see what they do with the 2010's"

touring

By on Monday, August 27, 2007

"for the $$ their are alot of high end cars out their that the makers.. ie acura, volvo, bmw.. take much better care of you than toyota does. i had a high end car and miss that extra servies you get.. ie free rent a car with service.. for the $$$ of the same car. you get treated like you bought a yaris... toyota customer service is very lacking. they sell it as a first class car but you are treated like lare below coach class. i love the car.. its toyota and its poor customer service i dont like."

I love this car!

By on Friday, April 25, 2014

"I have owned some great cars but this is the best! Safety is brilliant. Saved my hubby's life in a head-on collision he walked away from. The officer on the scene said "go buy this same car" (it was totaled) and we did. The only thing that we worry about is the rear view because of the wideness of the frame at each end of the rear window. So we look three times and lean."

A top choice favorite!

By on Friday, November 29, 2013

Pros: "Handles like a dream, excellent gas mileage"

Cons: "It's not an SUV, sits lower than an SUV"

"Of all the cars I have owned, I place this one in the top 3. It is comfortable, responsive, and reliable. It is also beautiful and graceful. Iwould buy an Avalon again (it would be my third one) but I need the convenience of an SUV."

I have now owned 3 Toyota Camrys and 2 Avalons.

By on Saturday, November 02, 2013

Pros: "Toyota makes good quality, reliable,safe products."

Cons: "The 2004-05 recalls was handled professionally."

"I have now owned 3 Toyota Camrys and 2 Avalons, and I have been pleased with each car. My current car is a 2006 Avalon XLS which I bought in 2009 to replace my 2003 Avalon XL. I enjoy everything about the car: room, style, reliability, handling, quality, affordability, safety, etc. It is the same vehicle as the Lexus, but more affordable. I'm retired and don't drive as much, but my last car will probably be a Toyota product. I've been totally satisfied with all they've offered."

3rd one i owned all went at least 250,000

By on Saturday, May 18, 2013

Pros: "price is right for what you get...its a Lexus with"

Cons: "navigation is lousy and will fail"

"great highway milage. anywhere from 29 to 31 depending on highway speed and passenger load. No major repairs in 265,000 miles. navigation system is JUNK. at 265,000 the engine and transmission are like new. no rust. Nothing has failed except navigation and laser speed control and the laser is useless anyway for highway driving, in fact it is a menace to you and other drivers. Great ride and feel, roomy spacious,comfortable"

High mpg and great acceleration, lousy seats

By on Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Pros: "great engine, smooth and quiet"

Cons: "uncomfortable seats, mushy brakes and suspension"

"Great engine, good combination of performance and economy. Mushy handling with LOTS of body lean in corners. The front seats are NOT comfortable and therefore the car is no good for longtrips. Very reliable"

This car saved my life.

By on Thursday, September 13, 2012

Pros: "Safe"

"I was in an accident with a 2006 Avalon and was T-boned at 55mph and walked away. All safety equipment worked as designed and am so happy I'm going to get another one soon. THANKS TOYOTA."

I used to LOVE my Avalon

By on Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Pros: "Beautiful, quiet, safe, smooth ride"

Cons: "defective and poorly engineered transmission"

"I have had this car a bit over one year. Last night I blew the transmission for the second time. Needless to say, I am ticked. I want the Avalon to be perfect because it is such a nice car but the reason I spent a bit more for a car was for reliability's sake. Toyota no longer has my trust. And our dealership is a joke here. Would NEVER buy a car from them and I am beginning to question their skills in hiring knowledgeable people to work in their service department now too."