2004 Toyota Avalon

9.4

Based on 452 Ratings for the 2000 - 2004 models.

Great Value

By on Monday, July 9, 2007

"Lexus quality without the Lexus price. Can't wait to hand this down to my kicks and buy a new one."

Roomy and well built

By on Friday, July 6, 2007

"This car has a great back seat, I have had mine for 5 years with no problems."

Adding to the Echo Chamber in Here: Great! Best!

By on Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Rims and Tint - It's all this car needed to become the FULL PACKAGE!

"Rather than repeat everything that others have said about how awesome this car is, I'll only add what hasn't been said. HANDLING/STEERING: This is not a sports car. I am still pleasantly surprised at how well it can corner despite its weight, and how tight, but light, the steering response seems to be. I upsized my rims, and it has improved my handling. See Style section for more details. RELIABILITY: I'm a stickler for preventative maintenance, as in, I follow the book to the 'T'. It's my bible. This car has done one thing; destroyed my OCD around maintenance. I realize all of the maintenance on a car has significant safety factors built in, especially from Toyota; a super conservative company. But I felt like I had 80% of the life left in all components I've replaced to date. The biggest scheduled maintenance I've done is the timing belt. Along with it I went ahead and did the water pump, pulleys, tensioner, camshaft actuator, and the two seals. Well, when I asked for my old parts to take a look at wear, they looked new. NEW! Seriously, the old timing belt still had the white Toyota logo on it still. Well, at least now I know, even after 90k miles I could've probably gone to 150k easily, if not 200k. Well, I’m only at 94k, so I will likely never have to replace any of those components ever again for the life of this vehicle. My only worry is that I used Denso parts rather than exact originals (Aisin, etc.), but it’s supposed to be OEM spec. so hopefully no issues there. Been going full synthetic oil for the engine (runs better and sludge prevention), and regular schedule on transmission and coolant. Nothing exciting there, except that I probably could have easily gotten double the mileage between changes for all of these fluids. I don’t drive like a grandpa either, despite this car’s image, I’m a 27 year old male (see Style section for more on that). Don’t get me wrong, I’m not advocating for you to prolong the recommended service intervals, I’m simply stating what Toyota enthusiast have known for years: Toyota over specs. GREATLY. This behavior is awesome for us consumers. My only unscheduled maintenance was an O2 sensor back at 40-50k miles. STYLE/LOOKS/FIT/FINISH: This car has some nice thick high quality paint. Mine still looks mostly new, just a few chips and dings due to it being 16 years old, but probably far less of such things than a lower quality car’s paint. As a whole this car polishes up really nice still to a mirror finish, and from 5 ft away looks new. The leather is still in tip top shape, the only seat I refinished myself was the drivers, and now the whole car’s interior looks like new again. I try to clean and condition the leather a few times a year, but nothing indicates that without this it would be in any worse shape. Now, for the biggest update to the style in my opinion: NEW RIMS! I mentioned I was a 27 year old guy, well, after getting some nice 18” rims, the whole look of this vehicle is totally different. I personally disliked the bland appearance prior, but put my ego and image in the backseat. Little did I know that such a simple change would be such a drastic change! This thing actually looks….dare I say…sporty now. It definitely fits me much more, it now has the same likeness to the Lexus IS series from the same generation (which makes sense as it’s probably a very similar platform). It’s the look without the harsher, louder ride though; I haven’t noticed any difference in the comfort! Oh yeah, I also got some nice ceramic tint: 35% up front and 5% in the back. I officially declare this car SEXY. TAKE A LOOK AT THE PICTURE, YOU’LL BE AMAZED! Shame I could only upload one."

Rims and Tint - It's all this car needed to become the FULL PACKAGE!

wonderfull

By on Monday, February 3, 2014

"This is probably the best car I ever owned . It is very comfortable, reliable and well thought out ."

Amazing car..

By on Monday, March 11, 2013

Pros: "stone cold reliable"

Cons: "nothing"

"Its a shame Toyota don't make cars like this anymore. Its a stretched Campy and same as a Highlander from the same time. I get my Dads 04 bench seat XLS version he bought new and kept in the garage since new. Just had the timing belt done on it and went over the whole car at the time, Perfect. Wears like iron and is reliable, comfortable and really fuel efficient. The 3.0 motor is legendary as is the trans. Truly the best car you can buy for many reasons. We gave it to our Son as his first cart and he loves it.."

Superb car in so many respects

By on Saturday, September 1, 2012

Pros: "Holds 6 adults"

Cons: "Would like an on board navigation system."

"Has been 100% reliable. Fun to drive and always getting over 30MPG in all driving conditions."

This car is the best!

By on Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Pros: "Great handling! Great feel! Solid ride."

"Love this car! After a history of new cars, this was the first used car I'd ever bought. It is now hands down the *best* car I've ever driven. My own little piece of paradise! It has all the 'bells and whistles' and although it ain't the purtiest thing when it comes to style, it provides a most luxurious ride. I'm keeping it until it falls apart. Yep, I love it that much."

Better than Lexus LS400

By on Monday, January 16, 2012

Pros: "Smooth ride, spacious interior, regular unleaded,"

Cons: "Horizontal oil filter spills during changes."

"In 1998, we bought a '94 Lexus LS 400 and it was a wonderful car. After 8 years of ownership, it was time to go. We decided on a 2002 Avalon XLS with 48000 miles. This has been the greatest car. It rides every bit as quiet as the Lexus. It uses regular unleaded instead of premium (at 30 cents per gallon cheaper).We average 26mpg on the highway and 20 around our rural town; compared to 21/16. At 137000 miles, we just took a 600 mile trip to Florida for Christmas week, and nearly did it on one tank; averaging 28mpg overall. I am much more comfortable driving the Avalon than I was in the Lexus. I am 6' tall. I can sit in the very comfortable rear seat with the driver seat all the way back, and still not touch the front seat with my knees. This wasn't the case with the Lexus. I change the oil every 3000 to 4000 miles. Never had an engine problem. I did have a dealer do the 100000 mile service(spark plugs, timing belt, etc.) Nothing done to the transmission. I had the struts changed at 125000 even though the mechanic said they were OK. I am getting a few dashboard warning lights on for the VSC which the mechanic's computer won't diagnose. They go off for a week and then come back on. All in all, if we do get tired of this Avalon, there will be another one in our future."

This is an excellent car. I have had it for 11 yr

By on Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Pros: "Comfortable, easy handling, durable"

"I love this car and the maintence has been routine. My husband says if I have a car 11 years you have to KNOW it is a good car to stand up to me. It is the best car I have ever owned and the most comfortable even at 11 yr old. It still rides like new and people can not believe the age of my car. I have had cars in the past that I had to get rid of after 5 yrs because they were literally falling apart in the door panels, windows etc. THIS car has stood the test of time and I would own another in a heart beat,however we are now looking at a toyota tundra."

Wonderful Car

By on Monday, February 9, 2009

"I bought my 2004 Avalon XLS used 1 and 1/2 years ago. This is the best car I have ever owned in 40 years of buying every type automobile, including Fords, Chevys, even an Alfa Romeo and Fiat. It is fast, comfortable, and gets an honest 30mpg on the open road. It has all the options and is an absolute pleasure to drive on long trips. If you can find a deal on used, don't hesitate. I have had the dealer offer to trade at above bb. Said no, don't want another one just this one. Love my Toyota Avalon."