2004 Toyota Avalon

9.4

Based on 395 Ratings for the 2000 - 2004 models.

9.7/10

Better than a Lexus ES3xx

By on Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Pros: "Value, engine, transmission, comfort, mpg"

Cons: "paint susceptible to rock chips like a Lexus"

"Have once owned or have in possession of 2 Lexus RX's,an HS and ES and the ride of the Avalon is so much more comfortable. Here the Avalon's 65mm profile tires is at least part of the reason for this. Manufacturer's recent use of low profile tire's hurts your ride quality and suspension longevity too much. Quality of workmanship and materials inside the cabin is also probably just a hair lower than the Lexus LS and at least on par or better than the rest of the line. The 3 liter V-6 is plenty strong for me and the trans shifts smoothly. Getting better mpg and a price tag only half as much that of a '04 LS430 makes the Avalon a great buy. The only qualm I have is that a Lexus Nakamichi or Mark Levinson stereo system are a notch better than the Toyota JBL ones. Had thought of getting a LS but the price for oem parts are nothing to sneeze at."

My 7th (pre-2002) Toyota. Best Yet!!

By on Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Pros: "solid, dependable, spacious, Can still get parts"

Cons: "not nimble, getting hard to find a good used one"

"I own this car. Bought new in Nov 1999 (after driving '84 and '85 Toyota Cressidas for 300K-plus each). Avalon has LOTS of Hwy Miles. Synthetic oil and better-to-best oil filters since day-1. Burns 1/2 qt oil between 6K oil/filter changes. On 3rd set of timing chains/water pump swap. I liked it so much, I bought a (gently) used 2001 Avalon (now has 188K miles, with same results, but only an oil leak, not burning). Sure they still made them like these elegant/roomy cars."

Comfortable, dependable, many more miles expected.

By on Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Pros: "Great price, most comfortable to drive."

Cons: "Mirror needs replacement"

"This car has been well maintained. Paint has lots of chips. Right rear view mirror casing is damaged. Headlight lens are not as clear as used to be. This car is a joy to drive and am selling because we no longer can afford two cars as we are retired. Our other car is 10 years newer and we choose to keep it although I still prefer to drive the Avalon as does the rest of my family. It gets 28 to 32 highway miles to the gallon. Heated seats and memory seat for the driver are especially nice. Will be hard to part with but we need the money on our medical expenses."

So comfortable and responsive

By on Sunday, April 13, 2014

Cons: "Fading lights on dashboard displays"

"So many small design features that make it a treat to drive. Glare reducing windows, rear view mirror that adjusts to exterior light/dark. Wonderful heated seats that adjust for total comfort. Quiet engine and cushioned ride. I love this car. One hate - hard to locate and unresponsive gas flap lever."

I want to drive this car until I die.

By on Sunday, April 06, 2014

Pros: "Smooth ride, low, low maintenance"

Cons: "I don't have two of them."

"This is the best riding, most problem free car I have ever owned. I have 213,000 miles on it and plan to pass it on to my son next year. Amazing car!!!!"