2004 Toyota Avalon

9.4

Based on 413 Ratings for the 2000 - 2004 models.

9.7/10

Excelent 2nd or first car

By on Saturday, December 13, 2014

Pros: "Excellent ride with all the bells and whistles"

"One owner, Non-Smoker. This car is very comfortable and reliable. It has a smooth ride. Color is Moon Dust exterior with Grey Leather and wood grain interior. The Cabin is very nice and has an Automatic shift. Retractable cup holders front and rear add luxury.Tires have less than 5000 miles. It has mud guards front and rear. Trunk is enormous. It has been maintained very well. In a 21 point inspection I was told this is a 400,000 mile vehicle with only cosmetic repairs needed."

Superior vehicle

By on Tuesday, November 04, 2014

Pros: "reliable, comfortable, looks great"

Cons: "A little too much play in the steering"

"All around excellent car."

'01 Avalon XLS--Great ride!

By on Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Pros: "Roomy, reliable, luxurious"

Cons: "Plain styling"

"I inherited this car from my grandmother 2 years ago with 70K miles, and she completely babied the car so it was/is in perfect condition. People still can't believe it's 13 years old. In the time I've owned it I have not had to do any repairs at all. We've had Toyotas in the family for over 40 years and they always run forever. I'm 6'4" and have tons of room. This definitely isn't the sexiest car out there but it's not really ugly, and it can't be beat for comfort or reliability. It gets pretty decent gas mileage too, considering it's a full size car. Of course, there's a lot of features this car lacks that are the norm now, like Bluetooth or a back up camera, but it's not worth the 6 or 7 years of payments to get them. All in all, an excellent vehicle and I would recommend it to anybody."

Excellent Vehicle

By on Friday, October 24, 2014

"I have had my Avalon XL since April this year, and I absolutely love this car!!! It will remain in our family for as long as I can possibly keep it!!!! It is mine now and will be by son's in 7 years. The performance is great and the gas mileage is wonderful for a V6. No mechanical issues whatsoever I love it!!!!"

Hard to part with

By on Thursday, October 09, 2014

Pros: "Great comfortable ride and dependable"

Cons: "Paint chips, mirror and undercarriage bumps"

2004 Avalon

"We have had this car 10 years and it still is our preference to drive on trips as it is luxurious and rides beautifully. Interior is great shape. Exterior has broken case on passenger side rearview mirror. Needs some work on vibrations front and back. Exterior paint looks nice from a distance but close up has a lot of pitting. We also have a 2011 Camry and yet, we prefer to drive the Avalon. Camry gets better milage although Avalon is not bad except city driving."

2004 Avalon

Best car ever

By on Friday, September 19, 2014

Pros: "Reliable, comfortable, economical."

Cons: "Road noise is increasig with vehicle age."

"My wife commutes on this 120 miles round trip per day. I keep accurate records on my cars. My maintenance cost over the life of the car is $0.065 per mile. Over the last 40,000 miles, it has been $0.048 per mile. That includes normal maintenance (oil changes, tires, brakes, etc) plus repairs (engine skid plate - rusted bolts, hood latch - rusted, windshield - cracked, struts - worn, idle air control motor - stopped working, exhaust damage - hit chunk of ice on toll-road) etc. She gets 26 mpg, license plates are cheap, insurance is cheap; she loves the car - no way we're gonna trade it. I follow the Toyota factory recommended maintenance schedule."

Best car I have ever owned!

By on Thursday, September 11, 2014

Pros: "Quiet, smooth transmission, awesome reliability."

Cons: "Front is prone to chipping. Could use larger tires"

"Bought it used in 2006 with 77K on the odometer. Other than the usual tires, brakes, batteries, etc. all it needed was new cylinder gaskets. It's starting to use some oil but again, I did run over on the interval a few times. I am a big guy and drive 40K a year or so highway and rural. It has (2) 12V chargers and a converter for AC. The seat warmers are great on cold days and I've never had the air conditioner serviced. It just keeps blowing cold air. Did need a new blendor for the heater a few years ago, though. If you can find one in good shape (There have been problems reported with sludge) buy it!"

very good car

By on Tuesday, August 19, 2014

"Toyota avalon 2003 very good every thing .milig 115.550 ,black.6 slinder"

Going strong.

By on Wednesday, August 06, 2014

Pros: "sound system, modest power, comfortable ride,"

Cons: "cheap interior, squeaky belts, low RPM running"

"This car has been passed from driver to driver, (one previous owner, to my dad, and then to myself.) I've absolutely loved driving this car. It's comfortable, and it's quick for its size. Gas mileage could be better, but at the same time, it could be worse. I'm only being honest. It's a very neutral looking car, so it doesn't attract much attention and yet it's simple enough to be modified if chosen to do so. (Which brings me to another point, there aren't too terribly many avalons out there that have been modified.) There are only three things I think I can possibly complain about in this car. For one, the rims have been losing their clear coat since 180k miles. Two, the AC belt squeals like crazy in wet conditions, and when the car has JUST been started (typically stops once the car reaches 2nd gear.) Finally, since about 190k miles the engine has developed and insufferably inconvenient LOW rev idling issue. I've taken it in to several mechanics etc. and nobody can figure out what it is. About 50% of the start ups in this car come with an engine idle that runs under 500 RPMs. The electrical systems will dim, and the throttle becomes extremely touchy (light touch is TOO light, and the line from that to movement is extremely fine.) As a result of this low idle, the car will stall out about 25% of the time if you don't power brake and hold your foot on the gas to keep it above 700 RPM. This is merely an inconvenience. The car has never "broken down" on me, and I've never had any immobilizing mechanical problems."

it is a lemon

By on Monday, August 04, 2014

Pros: "great car if you get a good one"

Cons: "very costly to keep if you get a lemon"

"It would seem that about 1 out of twenty 2004 AVALONS are lemons and mine is one big yellow one. with only 120K miles ---I have had had about 5000 extra dollars worth of repairs on a car that has had the best dealer service available.Same dealer takes care of my wifes 2004 highlander and it has a perfect record at 175K with zero extra cost so far"

more comfortable than new avalons!

By on Thursday, July 31, 2014

Pros: "Comfortable, roomy, reliable..."

Cons: "really none for a 2004 vehicle!"

"Can't beat the solid feel, reliability, comfort of this vehicle. When we think of possibly trading it in for another vehicle that has today's features (navigation, bluetooth, etc.) but then we ask why? Don't we already have a utterly comfortable, reliable car, with lots of room, good gas mileage (21 city/ 29 hwy. on regular gas) great repair history? What more can you want from a car? So we maintain the minimal upkeep required (oil/ tires/ etc.) and the car continues riding like a dream!"

Great Car I hope lasts forever

By on Thursday, July 31, 2014

Pros: "Comfort Interior, Great Ride, Low Maintenance, etc"

Cons: "None with car, Toyota's con jobs for extra mtc."

"I visit the Toyota dealership for oil, etc., and look at the new Avalons and wonder why I would ever get rid of this car. it runs the way it did when I bought it, it is more comfortable and rides better than my dad's cadillacs and towncars. I am tall and have more room in my 2003 than the 2013 Avalon models. One issue I have with Toyota though is the the 90000 mile recommendations for timing belt/water pump replacement, I had it done but wasn't necessary at 100000 with this car. The pump and belt were not worn or pitted and looked like new. I wasted $400. only other services have been brakes and struts, which I expected. Great car I will keep until it quits running or I quit running."

Approaching 14 years old and still going strong!

By on Wednesday, July 30, 2014

"I have owned this car since new and have always loved its comfortable feel and reliability. The car is very low cost on maintenance as well. The ride is extremely smooth and the car has no rattling even on terrible streets. Plenty of room and great gas mileage. For being a 2000 model, Toyota really did a fantastic job on this car and its structure and design aged well. I keep it detailed and friends still think its a 2006 model."

allmost perfict

By on Friday, July 25, 2014

Pros: "great price , fun to drive. smooth ride"

Cons: "brakes too small. Too much Play in stearing on hig"

"Every thing worked excellent, except for a little to much play in the steering on highway. This might have been corrected if front stirring was tightened. maybe The brakes "I felt" were to small for the car, especially coming up and down the Rocky Mountains. "brake displacement""

very reliable, smooth ride, great visibility,

By on Thursday, July 17, 2014

Pros: "lots of room, good visibility, comfortable"

Cons: "no audio input port,"

2000 Toyota Avalon

"I've owned this car since it was new. I've never been stranded by any failure in the car. I get about 20 mpg in town and close to 30 mpg on the road. Lots of room and great visibility. there is no rust and the finish still shines. I recommend this car."

2000 Toyota Avalon

This car still rides smoother than my new car.

By on Monday, July 14, 2014

Pros: "Great car and fun to drive."

"This 2002 Avalon rides better than the new luxury car, I just purchased. You will be pleased and proud to own and drive this car."

11 years old and still runs like new! LOVE it!

By on Saturday, July 12, 2014

Pros: "Quiet, comfort, reliability, JBL sound"

"Bought my 2003 Avalon used, 1.5 years old with 22k miles. The car runs as smooth today with 184k miles as it did when I bought it. Fantastic quiet ride, starts up every time, awesome JBL premium sound, room for five adults to sit comfortably, ice cold air conditioning, warm heater and butt warmers for those extra chilly mornings. Other than tires and brakes have only repaired an oxygen sensor and put in new struts at 175k miles to bring the ride quality back to new. The airbag sensor does come on sporadically in past year but this will be repaired by dealer due to recall for shortage issue. Never had any problems with sensor until recently. Installed Bluetooth for use with my smartphone and my old Avalon can compete with new cars in providing navigation, hands free phone, and streaming. Every time I drive a new car, thinking it may be time to retire the Avalon, I leave the car lots saying my Avalon drives better! This car should make it to 250 or 300k miles no problem."

My mileage says it all - 230,000 miles in comfort

By on Thursday, July 10, 2014

Pros: "Reliability, quiet and smooth ride, handling"

Cons: "AC OK but not great"

"Shopping to replace it just on general principles. Finding that I've been spoiled. The ride is smooth and quiet; with great handling. I love the driver's seat for tall-man's comfort - and the headroom both front and back. Lots of power with very smooth acceleration (difficult to find in today's cars). I measure my mileage using purchase logs. It's consistently 24MPG. Never been stranded in it; apart from a flat and running out of gas once. Some repairs along the way, mostly preventative (timing belt, water pump, muffler, etc). Transmission started leaking at 200,000 and $1,300 fixed that for good. Some of the trim deteriorated after 11 years; got them replaced and painted. It's just starting to show it's age (headlights, front grill, some dash bulbs out now). All cosmetic. I'm OK driving it for another year or two while shopping for a suitable replacement - probably another Avalon. However; the new Avalon redesign chopped the back seat headroom so that's out. Repairs aren't expensive, even at the dealer. Our Mercedes and Lexus are 3x as much when things go wrong - and the Mercedes needed 3x as many repairs. Yikes!"

Best car I ever owned.

By on Sunday, July 06, 2014

"I driven a lot of my friends cars from Nissan's to Cadillacs and all in between and nothing rides or drives like this vehicle. I hope it lasts forever."

the best car ever! It is reliable, comfortable

By on Wednesday, July 02, 2014

"I want this car to live on forever because I love it, but am thinking of selling it. It has been so amazing! 2001 with 226,900K miles on"

great gas mileage, reliable vehicle

By on Friday, June 27, 2014

"I this has been a reliable vehicle, and maintained well."

Love this car. Just needed gas and regular maint.

By on Thursday, June 26, 2014

Pros: "Reliable, comfortable, great car"

"Most reliable vehicle I ever owned. Just keeps going with just regular maintenance. Still feels like a new car."

Best design

By on Thursday, June 26, 2014

"Of all the cars (11) i've ever had this is the one i liked best. For comfort on long trips it's been great. The pockets and compartments are all in the right places. Humongous trunk space on and on it's the best. Even with 2000000 miles it runs like a top."

A very comfortable, reliable, high quality car.

By on Monday, June 16, 2014

Pros: "Quality, smooth ride, great performance"

"Have owned this car 13 years and really hate to let it go."

Well maintained and reliable

By on Tuesday, June 10, 2014

"Newer tires, battery, regular oil changes, replaced timing belt at 100,000 miles. Good reliable well maintained car."