2004 Toyota Avalon

9.4

Based on 434 Ratings for the 2000 - 2004 models.

Excellent car!

By on Monday, August 19, 2013

"I own this car for about 6 years. Put more than 100000 miles on it, now it has 207000 total mileage. Had only minor problems. Very reliable."

Avalon Safety

By on Monday, February 18, 2008

"I owned a 1999 Avalon and experienced a car traveling into my lane. It hit me head on. My car front end went from about 5 feet long to 2 feet long and the car was knocked off to a side road quit a distance. The emergency people thought that there was going to be major injuries by looking at the car. I was sadly informed that the car that hit me, that the driver will need to go through several reconstructive surgeries. The impressive thing was that my windshield only had a small crack in the bottom left corner, I had bruising from the seat belts and a small burn from the air bag and my son had a slight concussion. Pretty impressive so of course I would only purchase another Avalon because I feel safer."

The Avalon is one of the best cars I have ever own

By on Thursday, November 15, 2012

Pros: "Economical, luxury, comfortable, handles great...."

Cons: "None!"

"I have had an Avalon since 1995. I have always purchased a lease trade back in from the dealer. Always around 45,000 to 50,000 miles and at that age is like buying a new car. The Avalon is not what a youngster would buy, so usually an older person who would take car of the vehicle is the type of buyer for this great vehicle. I just found a 2008 Avalon Limited ( the top of the line) with 6,900 miles on the odometer.......fabulous find, and I love it. It rides as good as a Lexus or any Benz. If you like a bigger luxury type car with 29 miles to the gallon.......get one today. You won't be sorry if the one you get was cared for by the previous owner or a Toyota Certified Dealer."

Excellent

By on Monday, September 12, 2011

"Pro - huge back seat, huge trunk (2004 is the last year for the big trunk) Thoroughly reliable and trouble-free. Mileage is always over 23mpg. Con - 1.This car EATS front brake rotors. They will warp after about 5000 miles of easy driving. I finally bought two extra front rotors and swap them out. (Keeps me from having to wait on the machine shop) 2. Throw out the acid-leaking battery before it slobbers all over your frame and radiator and eats holes in it. Buy an Optima SEALED AGM battery to fix the problem forever. 3. Wheel balance. I cannot for the life of me get the wheels balance properly. Not sure if I should blame the car or my local tire shops."

First (Foreign) vehicle and best one I ever owned

By on Monday, December 30, 2013

Pros: "Fantastically reliable, no unexpected failures"

Cons: "Absolutely, positively NONE"

"Until 2002, I had almost owned nothing but GM's, Chevy's and Buicks and Chevy Pick Ups. Did some research on internet and talked with friends who owned other cars. Determined Toyota to be best buy and stopped by dealer. Was impressed with Avalon and since it was for my wife and she liked it, we bought it. Had to replace battery once, one oxygen sensor, tires and have serviced regularly, including minor brake job. Absolutely no other problems ever. It never even acted like it didn't want to start. I am so satisfied, I bought a 2014 Avalon, just like it, same color even, plus other bells and whistles. We both love our TOYOTA. Selling the 2002 to my daughter after having 100,000 mile service. Dealing with Toyota (dealers) is much more pleasant than with all "American car" dealers. Plus, Toyota is made in America, so I don't feel guilty about buying foreign products."

Happy with choice. Will stick with Toyota.

By on Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Pros: "Very reliable. Avalon is a great car."

Cons: "Brakes could be better."

"Great quality. Company is very reliable. Could have better bakes. Had to replace rotor and calibers twice. But park it outside, in all fairness"

great car!

By on Thursday, March 15, 2012

"I bought this car used with 96000 miles. I have put 70000 miles on it and done nothing by maintenance. It is 11 yrs old and drives like a new car. It is dependable and solid car that is just starting to get broke in."

Pricy but worth it!

By on Tuesday, December 27, 2011

"Cabin is roomy enough even if you're 2 meters tall, back seat is even sufficient for tall people. Upholstery is nice and has worn very well. Engine is powerful and responsive, and it handles well in all situations I've encountered. The audio system is wonderful, albeit now somewhat dated. No major maintenance problems, just a component here and there wearing out, maybe $1500 of repair costs outside of regular recommended maintenance over 11.5 years of ownership."

Avalons are the best

By on Tuesday, November 25, 2008

"I have owned 5 of them. This 2000 has 185000+miles. Use no oil, no leaks. Everything works except the JBL CD. No car can compete with Avalon for value or quality. I have spent less than $1000 on normal repairs on this vehicle. Still drives better than most new cars."

see below

By on Wednesday, May 08, 2013

"I bought this car new in 2000. It has been an excellent choice. Service has been wonderful. I get asked if I have a new car. Comfort on trips are the best. The leather is in great shape. I have been so pleased with how the paint has held up so well. It still drives like a new car. I am always proud of my Avalon! I would buy another one!!"

Very comfortable and spacious sedan.

By on Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Pros: "Very comfortable, good on long trips, spacious"

Cons: "Not great on fuel, feels like a boat in the turns"

"I had this car throughout college and it continues to perform well as a daily driver and for long trips. One of the best road trip sedans I have ever driven or ridden in. The back seat is very spacious, and it has a very roomy trunk. There was so much space in this car I would use it to move in and out of my dorm room in college. Granted, it was filled to the brim. Repairs have been minimal, and the car has proved to be very reliable. I think it is a great alternative to the more expensive luxury sedans (such as Lexus), in that it has many great features at reasonable price. It will likely not have as many features as a Lexus, but if you don't mind missing out on some of the luxury then the Toyota Avalon is a great choice. The interior quality isn't bad at all, but it isn't particularly elegant. I must mention that I really enjoy the JBL audio system. I cannot overstate how comfortable the seats are and the amount of room the car offers. There is ample elbow and head room. I am 6'3" and find there to be plenty of leg room as well. Even with my seat all the way back there is plenty of room in the back for the passengers. The suspension is very soft. This provides excellent ride comfort, but a lot of sway under tight cornering. Compared to smaller cars (such as a Toyota Corolla) the Avalon handles like a boat. However, it has a better turning radius than other large sedans. My Avalon also has an extremely strong parking brake. Overall, it's a great value for money. I have found it to be reliable, comfortable, and spacious. Fuel economy isn't great, but it isn't terrible either. It is great for long trips and daily driving."

Rroomy interior

By on Wednesday, February 08, 2012

Pros: "Excellent value large sedan."

Cons: "Handling on wet roads could be better."

"The Avalon is the best large sedan available. It has ample room for adults in both front and rear seats. The car is exceptionally quiet with a smooth ride and many subtle extras that improve its function. For example, there are hand grips above each door, air and heat ducts in both front and rear seats and hidden (pocketed) trunk hardware as well as many other small things that add up to better function and convenience. The car has performed extremely well, with routine maintenance and required no major repairs. All in all, the care has far exceeded my expectations."

Better than expected

By on Friday, December 02, 2011

Pros: "Comfortable, roomy, reliable"

Cons: "Soft suspension"

"I bought a new 2000 XLS in December 1999 after having ordered an Acura TL and found I couldn't get comfortable in the driver's seat. So: across the street to the Toyota dealer. For the first few years, I looked for excuses to get rid of it: it seemed too geriatric, with the Buick Roadmaster ride, large fonts on the center display, etc. But, of course, as I got older while driving it, those features began to look better and better. Seriously, the only flaws worth mentioning have to do with the overly soft suspension. If you have one of these, especially if you buy a low-mileage used one, I recommend you do what I did: Replace the shocks with stiffer, aftermarket ones, like KYB, upgrade all the suspension bushings, and upgrade both the size and quality of the tires. I've got a set of Continental W-rated M/S tires now that improve the handling tremendously; Michelin Exalto A/S, either H- or V- rated, are also excellent, and you can buy them at Costco, which means free rotation and rebalancing for life. Go at least one size over (I'm using 2 sizing), you won't regret it. Upgrade the brakes whenever you have a chance; at least, use Akebono brake pads. What's worn out after 12 years and 130,000 miles? The catches on the center console and the sunglasses holder. The JBL stereo is good, but at some point, the rear deck speaker blew out, and the part alone is over $200 (it requires more than that in labor to install) so it's now just disconnected. Also, an oxygen sensor was expensive to replace and there are three more of them sitting there waiting to cost money. But: It's fast, economical (although the trip computer is wildly optimistic about mileage), and very spacious and comfortable. The suspension upgrades have stopped it from wallowing on bumpy roads and leaning too much on turns, but the ride is still very smooth. When I first got it, it was in spite of the exterior design; I though I was driving a great white whale! But now it looks like a classic -- simple, clean, and not too big compared, let's say, to the current Avalon. If this car were any better, it would be an ES350, but then my clients would think they were paying for my Lexus."

Perfect Combination of Luxury and Reliability

By on Thursday, December 11, 2008

"Bought from lease return with about 30K miles, now 100K. Comfortable to drive. Change oil every 3K and regular major maintance and it should be good for another 100K at least. Even the back seat is comfortable for large adults. This is what I always thought a luxury car should be like."

More Practical Less Pretentious Lexus

By on Monday, October 13, 2008

"the title sums it up. many things amaze me about this car but two in particular 1)great MPG HWY: up to 32.5 avg. 31 City) 20-21 avg. 2) the toyota quality: this car drives perfectly, the cabin is silent and large, it's the newest used csr i've ever owned, it's very luxurious with taste, lot'a of attention to drivers needs -- storage bins everywhere, huge cupholders -- it's very intuitive. The only thing very similar actually they are sort-of twins with minor and flawed items to the Lexus ES 300. Lexus is pretentious, requires premium fuel, and goes overboard to the point of bad taste in the name of luxury. And, it's smaller. They are equal in durability, but the Toyota is much less expensive on maintenence and repair costs. It's just common sense here. Research for yourself. Good Luck!"

Avalon

By on Monday, February 11, 2008

"2000 was the first model year for this Avalon style. I have driven 25K miles per year, both in the cold of New England and the heat of Florida. Very reliable and still gives a quiet, comfortable ride after 200K miles."

Best Car Value Around

By on Wednesday, December 05, 2007

"I have owned my 2001 Avalon since new. This car is the best car value anywhere. I have 120000 miles of trouble free motoring. Just normal maintenance and I changed the oil every 3000-4000 miles. Large comfortable and roomy. While at the dealership getting new brakes last week I purchased another new 2008 Avalon. Many of my friends and family have also purchased an Avalon based on my positive recommendation and experience. I kept my old Avalon to drive as a secord car. Shoot, with 120,000 miles it just getting broken in. What's really amazing is how the resale value has stayed so high. After owning it for 7+ years and 120,000 miles it is still worth about 33% of what I paid for it. I've owned big BMW's and Mercedes but the Avalon is 90%-95% as good as these other cars that cost 3 times more....the only real difference is the Avalon is a V6 vs. V8 in the high end expensive brands. The overall quality of the Avalon is every bit as high."

wonderfull

By on Monday, February 03, 2014

"This is probably the best car I ever owned . It is very comfortable, reliable and well thought out ."

Amazing car..

By on Monday, March 11, 2013

Pros: "stone cold reliable"

Cons: "nothing"

"Its a shame Toyota don't make cars like this anymore. Its a stretched Campy and same as a Highlander from the same time. I get my Dads 04 bench seat XLS version he bought new and kept in the garage since new. Just had the timing belt done on it and went over the whole car at the time, Perfect. Wears like iron and is reliable, comfortable and really fuel efficient. The 3.0 motor is legendary as is the trans. Truly the best car you can buy for many reasons. We gave it to our Son as his first cart and he loves it.."

Runs like new

By on Saturday, February 09, 2013

Pros: "Great engine, runs smooth and picks up speed easy"

Cons: "bad shocks and paint chips easy"

"I've bought this car in 2003, the only things i have done is oil change, new tires and brakes, however, i have never have had problems with the engine or transmission. I highly recommend buying a toyota. Best car ever and it has 98,000 miles and the engine picks up speed as if its NEW. This car is still going strong, runs better than alot of those new cars coming out. The 2 problems the car has is that the paint chips fairly easy, and the shocks are not that great. I had to replace them because i thought something was wrong with them, however, replacing them made no difference."

This car is the best!

By on Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Pros: "Great handling! Great feel! Solid ride."

"Love this car! After a history of new cars, this was the first used car I'd ever bought. It is now hands down the *best* car I've ever driven. My own little piece of paradise! It has all the 'bells and whistles' and although it ain't the purtiest thing when it comes to style, it provides a most luxurious ride. I'm keeping it until it falls apart. Yep, I love it that much."

Better than Lexus LS400

By on Monday, January 16, 2012

Pros: "Smooth ride, spacious interior, regular unleaded,"

Cons: "Horizontal oil filter spills during changes."

"In 1998, we bought a '94 Lexus LS 400 and it was a wonderful car. After 8 years of ownership, it was time to go. We decided on a 2002 Avalon XLS with 48000 miles. This has been the greatest car. It rides every bit as quiet as the Lexus. It uses regular unleaded instead of premium (at 30 cents per gallon cheaper).We average 26mpg on the highway and 20 around our rural town; compared to 21/16. At 137000 miles, we just took a 600 mile trip to Florida for Christmas week, and nearly did it on one tank; averaging 28mpg overall. I am much more comfortable driving the Avalon than I was in the Lexus. I am 6' tall. I can sit in the very comfortable rear seat with the driver seat all the way back, and still not touch the front seat with my knees. This wasn't the case with the Lexus. I change the oil every 3000 to 4000 miles. Never had an engine problem. I did have a dealer do the 100000 mile service(spark plugs, timing belt, etc.) Nothing done to the transmission. I had the struts changed at 125000 even though the mechanic said they were OK. I am getting a few dashboard warning lights on for the VSC which the mechanic's computer won't diagnose. They go off for a week and then come back on. All in all, if we do get tired of this Avalon, there will be another one in our future."

This is an excellent car. I have had it for 11 yr

By on Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Pros: "Comfortable, easy handling, durable"

"I love this car and the maintence has been routine. My husband says if I have a car 11 years you have to KNOW it is a good car to stand up to me. It is the best car I have ever owned and the most comfortable even at 11 yr old. It still rides like new and people can not believe the age of my car. I have had cars in the past that I had to get rid of after 5 yrs because they were literally falling apart in the door panels, windows etc. THIS car has stood the test of time and I would own another in a heart beat,however we are now looking at a toyota tundra."

Wonderful Car

By on Monday, February 09, 2009

"I bought my 2004 Avalon XLS used 1 and 1/2 years ago. This is the best car I have ever owned in 40 years of buying every type automobile, including Fords, Chevys, even an Alfa Romeo and Fiat. It is fast, comfortable, and gets an honest 30mpg on the open road. It has all the options and is an absolute pleasure to drive on long trips. If you can find a deal on used, don't hesitate. I have had the dealer offer to trade at above bb. Said no, don't want another one just this one. Love my Toyota Avalon."

buy this car

By on Sunday, February 03, 2008

"I have only had my 2000 Avalon XLS for a few months and am so happy with my purchase. I just needed a car to go back and forth to work. Hubby wanted me to buy a Toyota. I did not want a small car. When I saw that I could have the Avalon with the bigger engine for almost the same price as the Camary. I decided to get the Avalon. I am VERY happy with my 2000 Avalon."