2001 Toyota Avalon

9.4

Based on 443 Ratings for the 2000 - 2004 models.

Toyota should own the slogan: "keeps on ticking"

By on Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Pros: "Bullet-proof"

Cons: "Brakes. The rotors warp a little soon."

"I'm still driving my '02 Avalon. It had nearly 300,000 miles when it slung a rod. I learned that my teenage son had been hot rodding the engine (that explains it). Anyway, I replaced the motor with a used one with only 105,000 miles for $3,000. It was cheaper than buying a newer used car and I love all of the niceties on my Avalon that I would not get on another used car. This car has been bullet proof. The fit and finish is still very good. The overall integrity of the car is excellent. Still drives better than a lot of newer cars. I'm still driving it over 500 miles per week back and forth to work. It doesn't complain and I have only had to keep it serviced regularly. I am currently in the market for a 2011 (or so) Avalon with around 100,000 miles. I will pass this one on to my daughter who needs a car. I have been spoiled by my Avalon and I am quite honestly a little afraid to venture out and give another car a chance to prove it's reliability versus the Avalon. If you are near 50 years old like me, get over your image issues regarding the Avalon's styling. Allow your common sense to take over and choose quality and reliability over faddish whims."

wonderfull

By on Monday, February 03, 2014

"This is probably the best car I ever owned . It is very comfortable, reliable and well thought out ."

Amazing car..

By on Monday, March 11, 2013

Pros: "stone cold reliable"

Cons: "nothing"

"Its a shame Toyota don't make cars like this anymore. Its a stretched Campy and same as a Highlander from the same time. I get my Dads 04 bench seat XLS version he bought new and kept in the garage since new. Just had the timing belt done on it and went over the whole car at the time, Perfect. Wears like iron and is reliable, comfortable and really fuel efficient. The 3.0 motor is legendary as is the trans. Truly the best car you can buy for many reasons. We gave it to our Son as his first cart and he loves it.."

This car is the best!

By on Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Pros: "Great handling! Great feel! Solid ride."

"Love this car! After a history of new cars, this was the first used car I'd ever bought. It is now hands down the *best* car I've ever driven. My own little piece of paradise! It has all the 'bells and whistles' and although it ain't the purtiest thing when it comes to style, it provides a most luxurious ride. I'm keeping it until it falls apart. Yep, I love it that much."

Better than Lexus LS400

By on Monday, January 16, 2012

Pros: "Smooth ride, spacious interior, regular unleaded,"

Cons: "Horizontal oil filter spills during changes."

"In 1998, we bought a '94 Lexus LS 400 and it was a wonderful car. After 8 years of ownership, it was time to go. We decided on a 2002 Avalon XLS with 48000 miles. This has been the greatest car. It rides every bit as quiet as the Lexus. It uses regular unleaded instead of premium (at 30 cents per gallon cheaper).We average 26mpg on the highway and 20 around our rural town; compared to 21/16. At 137000 miles, we just took a 600 mile trip to Florida for Christmas week, and nearly did it on one tank; averaging 28mpg overall. I am much more comfortable driving the Avalon than I was in the Lexus. I am 6' tall. I can sit in the very comfortable rear seat with the driver seat all the way back, and still not touch the front seat with my knees. This wasn't the case with the Lexus. I change the oil every 3000 to 4000 miles. Never had an engine problem. I did have a dealer do the 100000 mile service(spark plugs, timing belt, etc.) Nothing done to the transmission. I had the struts changed at 125000 even though the mechanic said they were OK. I am getting a few dashboard warning lights on for the VSC which the mechanic's computer won't diagnose. They go off for a week and then come back on. All in all, if we do get tired of this Avalon, there will be another one in our future."

This is an excellent car. I have had it for 11 yr

By on Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Pros: "Comfortable, easy handling, durable"

"I love this car and the maintence has been routine. My husband says if I have a car 11 years you have to KNOW it is a good car to stand up to me. It is the best car I have ever owned and the most comfortable even at 11 yr old. It still rides like new and people can not believe the age of my car. I have had cars in the past that I had to get rid of after 5 yrs because they were literally falling apart in the door panels, windows etc. THIS car has stood the test of time and I would own another in a heart beat,however we are now looking at a toyota tundra."

Wonderful Car

By on Monday, February 09, 2009

"I bought my 2004 Avalon XLS used 1 and 1/2 years ago. This is the best car I have ever owned in 40 years of buying every type automobile, including Fords, Chevys, even an Alfa Romeo and Fiat. It is fast, comfortable, and gets an honest 30mpg on the open road. It has all the options and is an absolute pleasure to drive on long trips. If you can find a deal on used, don't hesitate. I have had the dealer offer to trade at above bb. Said no, don't want another one just this one. Love my Toyota Avalon."

buy this car

By on Sunday, February 03, 2008

"I have only had my 2000 Avalon XLS for a few months and am so happy with my purchase. I just needed a car to go back and forth to work. Hubby wanted me to buy a Toyota. I did not want a small car. When I saw that I could have the Avalon with the bigger engine for almost the same price as the Camary. I decided to get the Avalon. I am VERY happy with my 2000 Avalon."

Great Car!

By on Tuesday, January 15, 2008

"I've owned my 2002 Toyota Avalon for 7 mos..It has been the best car I've ever owned. I bought it w/ 98k miles and I feel that it is just broke in. Exellent ride as well. I definitely would suggest an Avalon to others looking for a great car at an affordable price."

By on Wednesday, November 07, 2007

"Best car I've ever had. Averaging 25 MPG in town and 29 on the Hwy. Never a problem."