2001 Toyota Avalon

9.4

Based on 395 Ratings for the 2000 - 2004 models.

9.7/10

Amazing car..

By on Monday, March 11, 2013

Pros: "stone cold reliable"

Cons: "nothing"

"Its a shame Toyota don't make cars like this anymore. Its a stretched Campy and same as a Highlander from the same time. I get my Dads 04 bench seat XLS version he bought new and kept in the garage since new. Just had the timing belt done on it and went over the whole car at the time, Perfect. Wears like iron and is reliable, comfortable and really fuel efficient. The 3.0 motor is legendary as is the trans. Truly the best car you can buy for many reasons. We gave it to our Son as his first cart and he loves it.."

Old Reliable

By on Thursday, February 14, 2013

"If you read any of the other reviews you'll see that this is by far one of the most reliable cars ever built. My parents bought this can in 2002 and I've had the luxury of driving it during my college years. It runs smooth, gets great gas mileage, roomy, excellent handling, and is just overall a great vehicle. Leather starts to wear but that's common among vehicles. Beauty fades that fact. But as far as the internal mechanics of the car we've only had to replace the oil and the brake pads since we got it in 2002. 10/10 in my book and I would recommend this vehicle to anyone."

Runs like new

By on Saturday, February 09, 2013

Pros: "Great engine, runs smooth and picks up speed easy"

Cons: "bad shocks and paint chips easy"

"I've bought this car in 2003, the only things i have done is oil change, new tires and brakes, however, i have never have had problems with the engine or transmission. I highly recommend buying a toyota. Best car ever and it has 98,000 miles and the engine picks up speed as if its NEW. This car is still going strong, runs better than alot of those new cars coming out. The 2 problems the car has is that the paint chips fairly easy, and the shocks are not that great. I had to replace them because i thought something was wrong with them, however, replacing them made no difference."

Best car We have ever owned!

By on Sunday, February 03, 2013

"Best car We have ever owned!"

My 2000 XLS - Wow, what an incredible car!!!

By on Saturday, January 12, 2013

Pros: "Smooth ride, great handling, great gas mileage!"

Cons: "The hood and trunk are of VERY thin metal!"

Leaving the dealership with my Avalon!!

"I first rode in a Toyota Avalon back in 2001, and just fell in love with the car. 11 years later I finally bought a 2000, and still love it!! The styling, features, quality, handling, and ride are all incredible in this car! I had to soak some money into it from the get-go since the previous owner didn't do the 90,000 miles maintenance at all....but now it's good to go and I expect it to last for a long, long time. One thing that the other reviewers here haven't mentioned is the HANDLING and STEERING of the car...it's incredible! This thing is SMOOTH and takes corners like they're not even there! It handles and rides like a dream. The stereo is fantastic and my XLS has all the options except traction control/VSC. I'm SO glad I got this gem - it was worth the wait!!"

Leaving the dealership with my Avalon!!

11 years and no problems to speak of

By on Friday, January 11, 2013

Pros: "Reliable, quiet, powerful, pleasure to drive"

Cons: "Leather seat wear after 11 years"

"This car has been essentially trouble-free after having some initial problems with a warning light on the dash related to the emissions system.. Toyota replaced the computer and this problem went away. Honestly, this is probably the one of the best cars I have owned."

Would recommend to anyone!

By on Friday, December 28, 2012

Pros: "Large sedan, good mpg. VERY realiable."

Cons: "Only automatic trany. Rear sub blows easy."

"My Avalon is a 2002. It's a nice sized car, in my opinion. I have had no problems with it since I've had it. The gas mileage is great if you drive a lot! It's a very luxurious 4 door sedan. It is front wheel drive so it does great in snow."

The Avalon is one of the best cars I have ever own

By on Thursday, November 15, 2012

Pros: "Economical, luxury, comfortable, handles great...."

Cons: "None!"

"I have had an Avalon since 1995. I have always purchased a lease trade back in from the dealer. Always around 45,000 to 50,000 miles and at that age is like buying a new car. The Avalon is not what a youngster would buy, so usually an older person who would take car of the vehicle is the type of buyer for this great vehicle. I just found a 2008 Avalon Limited ( the top of the line) with 6,900 miles on the odometer.......fabulous find, and I love it. It rides as good as a Lexus or any Benz. If you like a bigger luxury type car with 29 miles to the gallon.......get one today. You won't be sorry if the one you get was cared for by the previous owner or a Toyota Certified Dealer."

Excellant car - Milage is the only Worry

By on Thursday, November 01, 2012

"No maintannce excellant to drive super confortable and lot of space .. will all that 17-19MPG in City and 27 on highway ..... is a good deal ... but with higher fuel prices milage is the only worring part... otherwise spuper cool"

Great just got Better!

By on Tuesday, September 04, 2012

Pros: "Perfect blend economy, luxury. reliability."

Cons: "few that are not tolerable."

Both 2nd gen. Avalon XLS and Lexus GS400

"With this 2nd Generation Avalon Toyota finally upped the anti. and awakened the aesthetics engineers. They could have used another couple of cups of coffee but much better fellas. Thanks! That being said I must say that I simply don't get the speedo-tach. design. It looks, albeit clean and efficient; white on black, like it was designed for a TOY -ota Toyota and not to appeal to the taste of grown mature eyes. Love the info display and the info it presents. I spend more time appreciating it as I do wishing that Toyota had used the space for a GPS device. They did it to my GS400 and it is a 1998. Why not beak-away side-view mirrors on a flagship car? OK - one more and a half: No crotch vent and no way to turn the rear vent off. JBL sound is geat with the very directional tweeters positioned from front to back I am told that one doesn't need a pair in the rear although I have never been a passenger. They went from 9 to 7 speaker when they switched to JBL but the sound was improved. Overall - Maybe the best bang for the buck in automotive history."

Both 2nd gen. Avalon XLS and Lexus GS400

Superb car in so many respects

By on Saturday, September 01, 2012

Pros: "Holds 6 adults"

Cons: "Would like an on board navigation system."

"Has been 100% reliable. Fun to drive and always getting over 30MPG in all driving conditions."

very good running car

By on Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Pros: "verry good riding car"

"very good mechanicle condition"

This car has been in 2 accidents,not good conditio

By on Friday, July 27, 2012

Pros: "nothing but problems"

Cons: "Not a good running car,unsafe, have no picture"

"i have had nothing but problems,windows don't work half the time,inside interior ripped from break in,mileage gauge does not work so the mileage is approx.135000 miles,ball joints need repair,tie rods, needs brakes,over heats even after changing thermostat,needs new head gasket,new back window, can not be driven at this time.Only 1 picture after 1 accident of bumper, car is at stepsons house,my husband just signed it to him, he can afford to get things fixed eventually.We had to have it towed over there.But i need some kind of a quote for records"

Have never had anything at all go wrong with it.

By on Monday, July 16, 2012

Pros: "great value"

Cons: "not too sporty looking"

"Very comfie for road trips,picking up passengers, etc. Totally reliable. I am betting it will go to at least 200k miles.leather seats holding up great for a car 12 years old. no signs of wear except on steering wheel. love the seat warmers in winter, cools down fast with the AC after sitting out in the sun all day. I have owned 6 different Toyotas, from the Tuna can size Corolla, to the Supra to Mini Vans and SUV's. Loved them all. I am 5' 2" so I feel a little small to drive this,miss sitting up higher like in the SUV's."

Best car I've ever owned!

By on Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Pros: "LUXURIOUS!"

Cons: "Nothing. Literally nothing whatsoever."

"There aren't enough words to describe my love for this car. This is my first car I've ever owned. Let me tell you young kids, this car is cool! Luxury, space, and huge V6 engine! Gas saver also! I get a good 29 on the highway! I have about 140,000 miles on it and it still runs good. Its probably been hit too many times to count on one's hand. Got slammed into the rear, slammed into the side, lodged a bookshelf under the car going 55 MPH, I mean the list goes on. But this amazing vehicle is still sitting outside and is ready to drive me around anywhere tomorrow. This car has saved my life many times. Being in Ohio, we have bad weather and this car always starts. I never worry about it going bad. In the 140,000 miles I have driven it, i have NEVER taken it to the repair shop for something that the car has done. It has always been someone else's doing. Every time it's been in there, nothing has ever been expensive and nothing has ever been an outrageous fix. It is the perfect car really for all ages! I recommend this car to everyone."

This car is the best!

By on Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Pros: "Great handling! Great feel! Solid ride."

"Love this car! After a history of new cars, this was the first used car I'd ever bought. It is now hands down the *best* car I've ever driven. My own little piece of paradise! It has all the 'bells and whistles' and although it ain't the purtiest thing when it comes to style, it provides a most luxurious ride. I'm keeping it until it falls apart. Yep, I love it that much."

We love this car

By on Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Pros: "super comfortable to drive and solid"

Cons: "pass through from trunk is small"

"Bought this used in 2004 with 40,000 miles. We commute over 120 miles per day and it now has over 325K miles and our mechanic thinks it has at least another 75k in it. Runs great, still looks good and rides better than most new cars. Would buy another Avalon for sure."

I have loved this car. It is so comfortable.

By on Thursday, May 03, 2012

"I have kept this car for eleven years because I have loved it. It is roomy and very comfortable. It has been such a reliable car and I will replace it with another Toyota."

Most reliable car I've ever owned.

By on Monday, April 30, 2012

Pros: "Dependability"

Cons: "Hard to find a suggestion."

"100,000 miles and never in the shop for any major repair, only regular maintenance. Will buy Toyota again for sure."

like it a lot

By on Wednesday, April 04, 2012

"Quiet, roomy, comfortable ride, everything still works very well, sound system is very good, like sun roof that both tilts and slides. High speed maneuvering shows under steer and at speeds in excess of 100mph the steering feels light. Since I do high speed maneuvering only under duress and don' drive over 100 very often it doesn't detract from my overall satisfaction. I'm very glad I bought it (new)."

Very comfortable and spacious sedan.

By on Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Pros: "Very comfortable, good on long trips, spacious"

Cons: "Not great on fuel, feels like a boat in the turns"

"I had this car throughout college and it continues to perform well as a daily driver and for long trips. One of the best road trip sedans I have ever driven or ridden in. The back seat is very spacious, and it has a very roomy trunk. There was so much space in this car I would use it to move in and out of my dorm room in college. Granted, it was filled to the brim. Repairs have been minimal, and the car has proved to be very reliable. I think it is a great alternative to the more expensive luxury sedans (such as Lexus), in that it has many great features at reasonable price. It will likely not have as many features as a Lexus, but if you don't mind missing out on some of the luxury then the Toyota Avalon is a great choice. The interior quality isn't bad at all, but it isn't particularly elegant. I must mention that I really enjoy the JBL audio system. I cannot overstate how comfortable the seats are and the amount of room the car offers. There is ample elbow and head room. I am 6'3" and find there to be plenty of leg room as well. Even with my seat all the way back there is plenty of room in the back for the passengers. The suspension is very soft. This provides excellent ride comfort, but a lot of sway under tight cornering. Compared to smaller cars (such as a Toyota Corolla) the Avalon handles like a boat. However, it has a better turning radius than other large sedans. My Avalon also has an extremely strong parking brake. Overall, it's a great value for money. I have found it to be reliable, comfortable, and spacious. Fuel economy isn't great, but it isn't terrible either. It is great for long trips and daily driving."

This car is one of the best I have owned.

By on Sunday, March 25, 2012

Pros: "No negatives=it has been a great auto!"

Cons: "No cons to speak of. Totally satisfied!"

"I have been continuously amazed with the reliability, and comfort of this vehicle. It has been one of the best, if not the best automobiles I have owned. Not developing a relationship with the dealer has been a pleasure. After driving Audi automobiles and being nickle and dimed to the extreme the Toyota Avalon was a driving pleasure."

I have had no problems with this car.

By on Sunday, March 25, 2012

"I have had no problems with this vehicle. It still rides great"

We love this car. It still performs like new

By on Thursday, March 22, 2012

Cons: "none to report"

"I have owned both Mer."

Affordable luxury

By on Saturday, March 17, 2012

Pros: "Cream puff, great cruising car"

Cons: "reliability, Handling"

"This car is responsive,"