2000 Toyota Avalon

9.4

Based on 413 Ratings for the 2000 - 2004 models.

9.7/10

Best car ever

By on Friday, September 19, 2014

Pros: "Reliable, comfortable, economical."

Cons: "Road noise is increasig with vehicle age."

"My wife commutes on this 120 miles round trip per day. I keep accurate records on my cars. My maintenance cost over the life of the car is $0.065 per mile. Over the last 40,000 miles, it has been $0.048 per mile. That includes normal maintenance (oil changes, tires, brakes, etc) plus repairs (engine skid plate - rusted bolts, hood latch - rusted, windshield - cracked, struts - worn, idle air control motor - stopped working, exhaust damage - hit chunk of ice on toll-road) etc. She gets 26 mpg, license plates are cheap, insurance is cheap; she loves the car - no way we're gonna trade it. I follow the Toyota factory recommended maintenance schedule."

Best car I have ever owned!

By on Thursday, September 11, 2014

Pros: "Quiet, smooth transmission, awesome reliability."

Cons: "Front is prone to chipping. Could use larger tires"

"Bought it used in 2006 with 77K on the odometer. Other than the usual tires, brakes, batteries, etc. all it needed was new cylinder gaskets. It's starting to use some oil but again, I did run over on the interval a few times. I am a big guy and drive 40K a year or so highway and rural. It has (2) 12V chargers and a converter for AC. The seat warmers are great on cold days and I've never had the air conditioner serviced. It just keeps blowing cold air. Did need a new blendor for the heater a few years ago, though. If you can find one in good shape (There have been problems reported with sludge) buy it!"

very good car

By on Tuesday, August 19, 2014

"Toyota avalon 2003 very good every thing .milig 115.550 ,black.6 slinder"

Going strong.

By on Wednesday, August 06, 2014

Pros: "sound system, modest power, comfortable ride,"

Cons: "cheap interior, squeaky belts, low RPM running"

"This car has been passed from driver to driver, (one previous owner, to my dad, and then to myself.) I've absolutely loved driving this car. It's comfortable, and it's quick for its size. Gas mileage could be better, but at the same time, it could be worse. I'm only being honest. It's a very neutral looking car, so it doesn't attract much attention and yet it's simple enough to be modified if chosen to do so. (Which brings me to another point, there aren't too terribly many avalons out there that have been modified.) There are only three things I think I can possibly complain about in this car. For one, the rims have been losing their clear coat since 180k miles. Two, the AC belt squeals like crazy in wet conditions, and when the car has JUST been started (typically stops once the car reaches 2nd gear.) Finally, since about 190k miles the engine has developed and insufferably inconvenient LOW rev idling issue. I've taken it in to several mechanics etc. and nobody can figure out what it is. About 50% of the start ups in this car come with an engine idle that runs under 500 RPMs. The electrical systems will dim, and the throttle becomes extremely touchy (light touch is TOO light, and the line from that to movement is extremely fine.) As a result of this low idle, the car will stall out about 25% of the time if you don't power brake and hold your foot on the gas to keep it above 700 RPM. This is merely an inconvenience. The car has never "broken down" on me, and I've never had any immobilizing mechanical problems."

it is a lemon

By on Monday, August 04, 2014

Pros: "great car if you get a good one"

Cons: "very costly to keep if you get a lemon"

"It would seem that about 1 out of twenty 2004 AVALONS are lemons and mine is one big yellow one. with only 120K miles ---I have had had about 5000 extra dollars worth of repairs on a car that has had the best dealer service available.Same dealer takes care of my wifes 2004 highlander and it has a perfect record at 175K with zero extra cost so far"