1999 Toyota Avalon

9.4

Based on 322 Ratings for the 1995 - 1999 models.

The Avalon that never ends

By on Thursday, February 12, 2015

Pros: "Will not die"

Cons: "Will not die"

"312000 miles and keeps on driving! Past 7 years 2 batteries, 1 used strut, and 2 sets of tires = $1500. Mileage is great for an older car."

Most reliable and low maintenance car I ever owned

By on Friday, January 10, 2014

Pros: "reliable, low maintenance, quality, rust-proof"

Cons: "2 dinky cup holders, easily knocking engine"

"This car has lasted me a long time. And it will continue to run past 200K if oil is changed on time and it is not raced. The car is very comfortable to drive in, I would take it for a ride instead of a Lexus SUV I own. The interior design is falls apart with age, but everything remains functional. For example, the leather seats wear out, but the dash remains all workable. The seats still function, and windows. All the service I did on it was replace water pump and timing belt to make it last. Those are the 2 things that can make or break this car. Some Avalons we owned, we did not replace oil on time, or it was low on oil, the engine starts knocking and then the engine is a gonner. So important to check the oil level occasionally, or suffer having to replace the engine. The oil pressure in the car is higher than others at idle, therefore, overall the oil in this car is high pressures to make sure the engine runs lubricated all over, that is what makes it last long. If water pump and timing belt aren't replaced after 100K then I don't recommend buying the car. My father owns only these models of cars (1995-1996) are the best because they don't rust, EVER. We use synthetic oil and it runs like a clock. The paint wears off with time on 1997-1998 more than 1995-1996. Other maintenance work that was done was usual replacement of oil, filter, air filter, tires, brakes, pads... Overall a very low maintenance and reliable car."

True Blue

By on Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Pros: "Best riding vehicle I have been in."

Cons: "Strut noise early on in car's life. Had to replac"

"This car is the best car I have ever owned. Purchased it new and will keep it forever. Only have done routine maintenance with timing belt at 100K and strut bearing replacement at 80K. This is a car made for a comfortable ride and drives like dream. Cruises easily at 80 mph."

Hate to let it go

By on Monday, February 20, 2012

Pros: "Best price, value, performance, and dependability"

Cons: "thieves like them too much"

"I purchased my Avalon used in 1999 with 65000 miles already on it. It was my first non-American manufactured vehicle, but the price was so much better than comparable cars at the time. The car was not equipped with leather interior, but my wife got the dealer to install it. That actually gave the car a "showroom new" appearance, so we were quite pleased with our purchase. The rest is a near story-book like relationship - we almost lived happily ever after. I've now owned the car for 12 worry-free years. The only cost beyond regular maintenance (gas,oil tires, brakes) has been the replacement of the air conditioner evaporator in May 2011. I've never had a single problem other than that until two months ago. Someone broke in through the driver's door and tried to steal the car by jamming something into the ignition, damaging both. I was able to fix the ignition by re-aligning the tumblers with my key. I also fixed the door, but a few days later it failed to open and had to be repaired again - three more times. Finally, I took it to a dealer, but they want $2600 to fix it, and the car is only worth about $2000 according to KBB. So, I'm now looking to buy another, newer Avalon. I remember the ad campaign years ago for Toyota: "Oh what a feeling!" It featured proud owner's jumping up"

best car I have owned

By on Friday, December 16, 2011

Pros: "comfort and reliability"

"I have driven over half of the US and never had any trouble, rides well in town and on the highway, is VERY comfortable inside, has been a wise investment"